Author Topic: Watching the Albion away from home  (Read 15943 times)

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

Re: Watching the Albion away from home
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2011, 12:27:07 AM »
I'll echo many thoughts on this thread. Used to go to all away matches but the last few years have stopped being enjoyable as the atmosphere is non existent. I have no motivation to waste the money not enjoying it anymore

Watched in awe of man utd fans at leeds the other night - we're not even half as good as that.

I don't see how you can use Man Utd at Leeds as an example to be fair, that game is a special case, total one off, always has been. Man Utd on a normal day are not as good as that.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

KorenKorenKoren

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2011, 06:11:32 AM »
I don't see how you can use Man Utd at Leeds as an example to be fair, that game is a special case, total one off, always has been. Man Utd on a normal day are not as good as that.

Where are our special cases / one offs? We're never like that.

Utd are like that most weeks. Best away support in the country - intense (intimidating), standing, non stop singing (variety of original songs), don't take themselves seriously (ridicule opposition)

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2011, 09:26:48 AM »

Utd are like that most weeks. Best away support in the country - intense (intimidating), standing, non stop singing (variety of original songs), don't take themselves seriously (ridicule opposition)

To be fair they have a lot more to sing about than we do.
No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no shots on target.......

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2011, 09:42:43 AM »
we used to be so much better thats the dissapointing thing.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2011, 10:19:23 AM »
I think a lot of it comes down to expectation / novelty again. When we went away to a lot of clubs for the first time it was all new, we were premier league, etc, etc, even the second time the same. I think now as we are visiting clubs for the 4th or 5th time the novelty has wore off.

Thats not just us, i think its the same everywhere, home and away. Stoke have a decent atmosphere at the Brittania but compared to their first season when they were superb its nothing like it used to be, again the novelty has wore off.

I think there are very few clubs who constantly have great away support, Man United for me are the best and there are a few other clubs who are good too but in general i have noticed the difference in the likes of Man City, Stoke, Spurs and even Villa who used to always have good away support, its now tailed off a bit atmosphere wise, its not new for them to come the Hawthorns and vice versa.

I think we do our away support a dis-service at times, we usually travel in good numbers, i think we are decent, not great not rubbish and so we could get better but we are not awful.

We have the same discussions it seems every month, some people go for the booze, singing, etc others go to watch the game soley, my old man is 74 and has been everywhere watching the Albion and done the boozing, singing, etc but when you get to that age you dont want to be stood on your feet for 90 minutes, constantly singing, you actually want to watch the game. I am different at 32, i love a beer and sing but i certainly dont say my dad is a rubbish supporter because he dont sing all game. I think as been mentioned previous as i think Spurs do, sitters down the front, singers at the back.

But for the people saying everybody has to sing away and be on there feet, load of B****X, its each to their own, I have a lot of respect for the people who go away and get the singing going but for those complaining some people cant do it so bear that in mind, you dont have 26k at home stood singing every week, you have a percentage do it, same away, you have a percentage do it, admittedly a larger one but not everyone goes for that reason.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2011, 10:44:26 AM »

Man Utd v Leeds doesn't happen every week.

Yes, Utd fans are better than ours. Theres enough to fill their allocations week in week out, they don't have to worry about all their fans struggling to buy tickets as theres always a waiting list.

texisonfire

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2011, 11:12:04 AM »
Some go to football to sit down and watch the football, and others go to get inebriated and concentrate on the opposition support for 90 minutes, and the rest are somewhere inbetween.

The ones who go to appreciate football and aren't bothered about atmosphere might get annoyed at those singing and shouting abuse, and those trying their best to get the crowd going will be annoyed at those sitting down watching the game. At the end of the day who is right? Who is anyone to say their way is the right way to be at a football match?

People are different, and not everyone wants to sing from the same hymn sheet whether it's an age thing or not. So get over it. If you really want to create an atmosphere by all means try, but you can't criticise 'oldies' for going to watch their team because they want to see some football, and not stand up belting songs. It's their choice, not anyone elses.

I hate how bothered some fans are about what other fans think of us, I just don't care. Don't get me wrong, I love it when there's a good atmosphere going. But I go to enjoy myself, not to impress anyone else, let alone other fans I don't care about.
There are two great teams in the Black Country. West Bromwich Albion and West Bromwich Albion reserves.

albiontilidie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2011, 11:15:46 AM »
We should be bothered what other fans think,  We want there fans thinking pooh West Brom are coming to town to support there team like you dont know what, Gives our players a lift and makes it feel more like home

You see some of these european matches like fenerhance , players are intimated fans are and makes it a fortress
Oh Nottm Oh Nottm is full of fun is full of fun

texisonfire

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2011, 11:29:45 AM »
We should be bothered what other fans think,  We want there fans thinking poo West Brom are coming to town to support there team like you dont know what, Gives our players a lift and makes it feel more like home

You see some of these european matches like fenerhance , players are intimated fans are and makes it a fortress

Yeah and we know what happened there!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 12:01:35 PM by B_H_Baggie »
There are two great teams in the Black Country. West Bromwich Albion and West Bromwich Albion reserves.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2011, 12:51:58 PM »
We should be bothered what other fans think,  We want there fans thinking poo West Brom are coming to town to support there team like you dont know what, Gives our players a lift and makes it feel more like home

Couldn't give a stuff what other fans think of us, why should I ?

I go to watch the Albion and not to worry about what people think of us. Seems some are more interested in that than the reason you go to games.

albion70

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2011, 09:33:37 PM »
some good points in this thread.

being going since 84 and there is a huge differenece in the support of most clubs home and away nowadays.

all seater stadium have all but ruined atmosphere in english grounds. terraces were a lot more condusive to creating a great atmosphere.

you only have to look at foreign grounds though to see that all seaters can still create great noise but im sure they havent got the toss stewards over there that we have here.

another main issue is that the average age of most football supporters in the prem has risen considerably over the years because of the cost and the relative safety of going to football now.

going away even in the eighties still carried an element of risk so seeing families there was a rareity and usually there was a lot more younger lads there with there mates having a day out.

clubs could do a lot more to put aside certain sections home and away for those that do want to sing but whilst they are selling out this will be nowhere near the top of there list.