Author Topic: Tony Pulis  (Read 5165129 times)

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

Re: Tony Pulis
« Reply #1450 on: April 11, 2015, 06:44:00 PM »
Funny I thought we scored two today and should have had another if Saido had passed to Gardner instead of passing to Schmeichel plus then Lescott's header going over in the first half. Must have imagined those.

Pity I actually witnessed McAuley pretending to be Beckenbauer on the halfway line and a few other half arsed performances from those mighty warriors in white robbing a living.

I was replying to a post referring to next week which is an away game..

Away from home, crossing the half way line is an achievement given how defensive we are
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1451 on: April 11, 2015, 06:45:44 PM »
I was replying to a post referring to next week which is an away game..

Away from home, crossing the half way line is an achievement given how defensive we are

Make yourself clear then  :D

Players need to stand up and take responsibility. Pulis is not blameless but this lot have had it easy for far too long.

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1452 on: April 11, 2015, 07:03:23 PM »
Whatever people think of TP and/or his tactics I think he's shown enough in his interviews that he cares about our situation a damn sight more than some of the people making schoolboy errors on the pitch do! Ok he's getting paid a fair whack but he aint the only one!
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1453 on: April 11, 2015, 07:03:58 PM »
Make yourself clear then  :D

Players need to stand up and take responsibility. Pulis is not blameless but this lot have had it easy for far too long.

I reckon it's old age catching up with you  :P

No doubt these players are spineless but we looked OK for 45 minutes. I have no doubt they were under instruction to sit back and we ended up that deep it made it nigh on difficult to retain possession. The same happened against Hull, Stoke and Southampton. Luckily we won those but we can't keep getting away with it and today we paid the price.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1454 on: April 11, 2015, 07:05:18 PM »
Whatever people think of TP and/or his tactics I think he's shown enough in his interviews that he cares about our situation a damn sight more than some of the people making schoolboy errors on the pitch do! Ok he's getting paid a fair whack but he aint the only one!

Then why doesn't he drop those said players who don't care, he is the manager after all.
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

allenkevanastle

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1455 on: April 11, 2015, 07:10:17 PM »
Right, Pulis-lovers, tell me once again how he's The Saviour and how he'll 'sort it out. I am savage after watching that. I detest this man's ideas on football, how he sets up teams and the negativity with which he approaches games. Hoofball is not what I want to watch. defending on the edge of our area from the moment we take a lead or if we're away from home is not what I want to watch. Blaming players is the easy way out. Putting centre backs at full back, taking off a midfielder to bring on another centre back, hoofing the ball to nowhere and expecting skilful youngsters to chase after it is parks football at its worst.
I'm not going to bother arguing with those who were convinced that AI was taking us down. It's irrelevant as he's gone but what we have instead is appalling.  The sooner this man is out of our club the better. If it was anyone else it would be tonight.

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1456 on: April 11, 2015, 07:13:58 PM »
Then why doesn't he drop those said players who don't care, he is the manager after all.
probably because the others arent good enough either!
Orihuela CF

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1457 on: April 11, 2015, 07:18:39 PM »

How will we ever know if they are never given the chance.

Personally I don't believe that the players don't care.

In QPR last week and Leicester today we have seen two teams who contain a squad of players who are certainly not streets ahead of our own team, yet both of them looked far more comfortable when in possession of the football.

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1458 on: April 11, 2015, 07:26:07 PM »
How will we ever know if they are never given the chance.

Personally I don't believe that the players don't care.

In QPR last week and Leicester today we have seen two teams who contain a squad of players who are certainly not streets ahead of our own team, yet both of them looked far more comfortable when in possession of the football.
re your final point - I agree but we've been poor in possession of the ball for at least 2 seasons! The phrases hot potato, couldnt trap a bag of cement & couldnt tackle a sunday dinner spring to the fore ie as I said players aint good enough!
Orihuela CF

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1459 on: April 11, 2015, 07:29:06 PM »
Throughout his reign I have been reliably informed that Pulis's football might not be pretty but he gets results and stands no nonsense from his players.  Well it isn't pretty and now it seems it isn't even particularly effective. and if the last two performances are an example of taking no nonsense from his players well God help us.

I am starting to wonder what would be worse relegation and losing Pulis and half the players or survival and having the squad reshaped in his image. I suppose the worst possible option would be relegation and Pulis being put in charge of the rebuild.

Finally I find it strange that under Irvine misplaced passes, dozy defending and squandered chances were the Head Coaches fault and now they seem to be the players fault. If I had to bet on it I would say that the two will have very similar records over the course of the season and it will be an absolute fluke if that is good enough to keep us up.   
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1460 on: April 11, 2015, 07:32:52 PM »
re your final point - I agree but we've been poor in possession of the ball for at least 2 seasons! The phrases hot potato, couldnt trap a bag of cement & couldnt tackle a sunday dinner spring to the fore ie as I said players aint good enough!

Whilst I agree that the players are not good enough to secure us a position in the top half of the premier league, they are good enough to take on the likes of QPR and Leicester at home, provided the tactics are right.

Unfortunately under Pulis the emphasis is on defending and trying to catch teams on the break. It simply gives average players a massive lift and belief that they can secure a win.

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1461 on: April 11, 2015, 07:38:05 PM »
I think AI had the world against him from the start ie just looking at his managerial record. TP we all know what were getting! Pepe Mel the players didnt like him!
I think most supporters with any ounce of common sense can see that player power has been endemic here for a while & unfortunately they are the clubs most valuable assets! They are the common denominator for the clubs position! All the 3 mentioned managers cant be wrong or unable to get something out of them? or can they? Most proper supporters I'm sure would say its the players fault!
Orihuela CF

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1462 on: April 11, 2015, 07:39:15 PM »
TP sets his teams up to defend but we have let 7 goals in in two games against the bottom 2 sides in the division.
What hope have we got in our remaining games?

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1463 on: April 11, 2015, 07:43:36 PM »
I think AI had the world against him from the start ie just looking at his managerial record. TP we all know what were getting! Pepe Mel the players didnt like him!
I think most supporters with any ounce of common sense can see that player power has been endemic here for a while & unfortunately they are the clubs most valuable assets! They are the common denominator for the clubs position! All the 3 mentioned managers cant be wrong or unable to get something out of them? or can they? Most proper supporters I'm sure would say its the players fault!

How does it make you a proper supporter to say it is the players fault?

The current group of players are not good enough to finish top half of the premier league, however they should not be losing to teams like QPR and Leicester at home.

Whilst the players need to shoulder their share of the blame, Irvine and Pulis both have their faults that have had an effect on our league position this year.

Baggies54

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1464 on: April 11, 2015, 07:44:08 PM »
Any team that are made to play in the manner that Pulis is asking baggies to play will not look good in any game they play.  Pulis has ripped the squad to pieces sold off or let go internationals or makes them sit on the bench for game after game, those that he kept are not being used but uses substandard players, plays the regulars out of position the man has no footballing nous whatsoever, he is no better than any manager we have had since Roy as he takes the same head in the sand attitude as the rest of them.   If I were Mr Peace I would not trust the man with any money to buy the likes of McManaman next season.
"Scientific criticism has no nobler task than to shatter false beliefs".......

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1465 on: April 11, 2015, 07:46:00 PM »
With the performances on the pitch from the last two weeks i'd pick the team from those travelling to watch.

Guaranteed more effort, desire, commitment and wouldn't be just going through the motions.

For all the abuse Pulis is getting players have a right to actually try and earn a wage, some of these lot are abusing it.
Pulis deserves all the abuse  he's getting he got rid of one of our best attacking options.
He played baird against QPR one of the worst players I have ever seen in an Albion shirt.
Plays centre halfs as full backs.
Bolasie,Puncheon and Zaha will have a field day next week you cannot keep blaming the players Pearson outthought him today with the change at halftime he's not as good tactically as a lot of people make out.

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1466 on: April 11, 2015, 07:46:10 PM »
pulis for me has to take a lot of the blame , how can we play like we did against west ham and now play like a pub team ????

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1467 on: April 11, 2015, 07:52:27 PM »
pulis for me has to take a lot of the blame , how can we play like we did against west ham and now play like a pub team ????

It's all about belief!

On their day this current group of players should not be struggling against relegation.

My concern is the way we give the opposition control of the game early on, thus the longer the game goes on they start to believe there is something in it for them.

Once we scored our second goal today we should have taken the game to them, instead we sit deep and simply hit long balls in a attempt to release the pressure.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1468 on: April 11, 2015, 07:54:09 PM »

Proper supporters?

Come on. The great Messiah Pulis turns out not to be as great as everyone thinks, and we all turn on the players. A good chunk of the current squad have joined fairly recently and the longer serving players were part of our most successful premier league team under Hodgson. Under Pulis we have players out of position, we have released players that might have made a difference, we have no width, no attacking intent and he has overseen some of the most deliberately negative games in my lifetime supporting Albion, and that includes Megson.

I'm sure most proper fans  ;) will realise that the manager does have an impact on how the team is motivated, trained and tactically set up.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1469 on: April 11, 2015, 08:20:33 PM »
Any team that are made to play in the manner that Pulis is asking baggies to play will not look good in any game they play.  Pulis has ripped the squad to pieces sold off or let go internationals or makes them sit on the bench for game after game, those that he kept are not being used but uses substandard players, plays the regulars out of position the man has no footballing nous whatsoever, he is no better than any manager we have had since Roy as he takes the same head in the sand attitude as the rest of them.   If I were Mr Peace I would not trust the man with any money to buy the likes of McManaman next season.

Not sure why you are blaming McManaman - we were winning before he got injured and have barely won a point while he's been missing.....

Pulis inherited a crock of sh*t and Fletcher is the only new face with McManaman injured

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1470 on: April 11, 2015, 08:33:12 PM »
don't buy that elmo, poco had shown he was capable enough times to play left back, its pulis who keeps insisting on playing a ch or brunt in that position.

robnewbold

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1471 on: April 11, 2015, 08:43:51 PM »
We have lost the last two games at home to teams in the bottom three and conceded 7 goals in the process.
We are still well out of danger at the moment and still above the Villa.
Hull and Sunderland look doomed, but Leicester, Burnley and QPR look to have some fight left. We look like Norwich last season, we are in free fall at the moment, need a point at Palace.
i fear for us at the moment, can't see us getting another point

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1472 on: April 11, 2015, 10:11:35 PM »
can not see us getting any points out of the final six games, the first team needs an almighty kick up the back side as does the coaching staff. JP needs to have words with Pulis about these performances, they are miles below standard.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1473 on: April 11, 2015, 10:13:53 PM »
People keep talking about the players Pulis inherited, but he's had the opportunity of a transfer window where some issues could have been addressed. Instead, the window made things worse. Pepe Mel never had the chance to bring in players of his choice.

I can't honestly see how we're going to win another game, particularly when we set out our stall so defensively and yet are leaking goals like a sieve regardless.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1474 on: April 11, 2015, 10:15:14 PM »
Funny I thought we scored two today and should have had another if Saido had passed to Gardner instead of passing to Schmeichel plus then Lescott's header going over in the first half. Must have imagined those.
According to the stats I saw we had 8 shots today, which isn't exactly an avalanche against the bottom side in the division.