Author Topic: Play offs  (Read 97227 times)

KN22

• Senior Baggie

Re: Play offs
« Reply #350 on: May 01, 2019, 10:56:05 PM »
Really wanted Derby to win tonight to ensure play off berth. They now have to beat us to ensure that you know who sneaks into play offs through the back door. Never want us to lose a game but might not cry on Sunday if we do so.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #351 on: May 02, 2019, 12:58:09 AM »
Really wanted Derby to win tonight to ensure play off berth. They now have to beat us to ensure that you know who sneaks into play offs through the back door. Never want us to lose a game but might not cry on Sunday if we do so.

That's what I was hoping for too. Don't want pulis in there, and until routledge scored all was going so well.

I don't think boro will lose to Rotherham so Derby have to win, which I cannot bring myself to hope for.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #352 on: May 02, 2019, 06:43:44 AM »
That's what I was hoping for too. Don't want pulis in there, and until routledge scored all was going so well.

I don't think boro will lose to Rotherham so Derby have to win, which I cannot bring myself to hope for.

Hopefully we can beat Derby, Boro lose or draw and Bristol win by 2 goals that way Pulis and Derby are out.
Two birds with one stone so to speak.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #353 on: May 02, 2019, 10:35:28 AM »
Hopefully we can beat Derby, Boro lose or draw and Bristol win by 2 goals that way Pulis and Derby are out.
Two birds with one stone so to speak.

If we beat Derby and Boro don't win at Rotherham, then any win for Bristol away at Hull will be enough for them, in that scenario goal difference wont come into it. I can actually see this happening. With Derby seriously needing to go for it against us, if we turn up with intent on Sunday, i.e. with Gayle and Phillips starting, then the need for Derby to attack us will/should play into our hands on the counter attack. I think Boro will blow it by only drawing at Rotherham.

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #354 on: May 02, 2019, 11:06:40 AM »
If we beat Derby and Boro don't win at Rotherham, then any win for Bristol away at Hull will be enough for them, in that scenario goal difference wont come into it. I can actually see this happening. With Derby seriously needing to go for it against us, if we turn up with intent on Sunday, i.e. with Gayle and Phillips starting, then the need for Derby to attack us will/should play into our hands on the counter attack. I think Boro will blow it by only drawing at Rotherham.

Don't like the thought of this. Just imagine Richard Keogh doing a few rought them up challenges in the first few minutes and either have them hiding for the remainder of the game or at serious risk of injury. Phillips in particular. Effectively a pre-season game for us and need to manage with maximising our resources for the 11th of May.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #355 on: May 02, 2019, 11:13:43 AM »
Don't like the thought of this. Just imagine Richard Keogh doing a few rought them up challenges in the first few minutes and either have them hiding for the remainder of the game or at serious risk of injury. Phillips in particular. Effectively a pre-season game for us and need to manage with maximising our resources for the 11th of May.

I believe Keogh went off with a groin injury on 66 minutes last night so might be missing

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #356 on: May 02, 2019, 11:16:15 AM »
I believe Keogh went off with a groin injury on 66 minutes last night so might be missing

Fair enough. Still generally want to manage momentum with getting players to peak fitness (incl. avoiding risk of injury/suspension) for the play-offs.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #357 on: May 02, 2019, 11:52:47 AM »
If it helps anyone, if we finish 4th then the game at vile is definitely 5.30pm and at ours on Wednesday.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #358 on: May 02, 2019, 12:06:44 PM »
Fair enough. Still generally want to manage momentum with getting players to peak fitness (incl. avoiding risk of injury/suspension) for the play-offs.
Definitely need to rest our most important / vulnerable players so no Phillips, Gayle, Hegazi, Gibbs or Rodriguez for me.
Bond should have a game as well and, if he does well, keep his place for the play offs. How Johnstone has survived all season is beyond me but it's not too late to change. Bond could be the difference between success and failure.

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #359 on: May 02, 2019, 12:14:32 PM »
Definitely need to rest our most important / vulnerable players so no Phillips, Gayle, Hegazi, Gibbs or Rodriguez for me.
Bond should have a game as well and, if he does well, keep his place for the play offs. How Johnstone has survived all season is beyond me but it's not too late to change. Bond could be the difference between success and failure.

There is a very fine line on this point for me. Isn't the resting of our most influential players something we have already been doing on and off for the last month? It hasn't exactly helped achieve any real momentum has it. I don't feel our chances in the playoffs have been boosted by this one bit. I take your point with regards to risk of injury but just as importantly we need our influential players to hit the ground running in the play offs, they need to be 100% match sharp and full of confidence. A morale boosting performance at Derby would be just the ticket for me, I think that overrides the risk of injury.

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #360 on: May 02, 2019, 12:28:48 PM »
If it helps anyone, if we finish 4th then the game at vile is definitely 5.30pm and at ours on Wednesday.

Villa are saying the kick off off time at their place is TBC?

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #361 on: May 02, 2019, 12:41:51 PM »
I rang the ticket office and they said that if we finish 4th then it is 5.30pm away and Wednesday at home.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #362 on: May 02, 2019, 12:46:55 PM »
So if we beat Derby, Middlesboro could get the play-off spot. We could then finish third, and face the Pulis across two legs.

But if we lose Boro can't get the last spot, but we end up playing Villa.

A draw means we might see Boro in the play-offs, but we'll play Villa.

Talk about a nightmare scenario.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #363 on: May 02, 2019, 12:52:59 PM »
So if we beat Derby, Middlesboro could get the play-off spot. We could then finish third, and face the Pulis across two legs.

Indeed.... there are no easy scenarios are there? We have to play the hand we are dealt and get on with things. Could still be a glorious outcome and I will still be confident until it is no longer possible to be so.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #364 on: May 02, 2019, 02:02:28 PM »

Villa are the only team we can play who we are unbeaten against.
Head to head

Villa 4-2 won 1, drawn 1
Derby 1-4 lost 1, ??
Boro 2-4 lost 2
Bristol City 6-5 won 1, lost 1

Finish 4th and take the easy route  ;)

BlackCountryVilla

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #365 on: May 02, 2019, 02:35:37 PM »
Villa are the only team we can play who we are unbeaten against.
Head to head

Villa 4-2 won 1, drawn 1
Derby 1-4 lost 1, ??
Boro 2-4 lost 2
Bristol City 6-5 won 1, lost 1

Finish 4th and take the easy route  ;)
Technically we all but beat you but for a last minute handball that would have been ruled out 99 times out of 100 but let's not go there again  ;)

We're hoping Boro get the last spot. They haven't scored against us in the last six league meetings, barely registered a shot against us in last season's play offs and we seem to have the sign over them. Two 3-0 wins against them this season although we beat Derby 7-0 on aggregate.

I think Boro could bore their way through against Leeds and would be the easiest potential final opponents IF we got there.

No chance will Leeds lose at Ipswich so it will be us v you in the semis.
Did you know we won the European Cup?

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #366 on: May 02, 2019, 02:56:11 PM »
Anyone considered this nightmare scenario?

Boro lose to Rotherham and Pulis gets the sack

We win the play offs and get promoted, yet are still technically managerless so, advert goes out for manager with proven Premier League track record.

Sweet Dreams  :o

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #367 on: May 02, 2019, 02:59:06 PM »
Technically we all but beat you but for a last minute handball that would have been ruled out 99 times out of 100 but let's not go there again  ;)

We're hoping Boro get the last spot. They haven't scored against us in the last six league meetings, barely registered a shot against us in last season's play offs and we seem to have the sign over them. Two 3-0 wins against them this season although we beat Derby 7-0 on aggregate.

I think Boro could bore their way through against Leeds and would be the easiest potential final opponents IF we got there.

No chance will Leeds lose at Ipswich so it will be us v you in the semis.

The result was a draw, nothing to do with technicalities.
It was a draw.
Dress it up how you like.
It was still a draw.
Technically you haven't beat us this season.
Technically we have taken 4 points off you.
The play off games should be corkers and may the best team win so long as its us.  ;)

BlackCountryVilla

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #368 on: May 02, 2019, 03:05:38 PM »
The result was a draw, nothing to do with technicalities.
It was a draw.
Dress it up how you like.
It was still a draw.
Technically you haven't beat us this season.
Technically we have taken 4 points off you.
The play off games should be corkers and may the best team win so long as its us.  ;)
  :-*

Should be two cracking semi finals I agree and two crackling atmospheres reminiscent of the cup game in 2015.
I actually think us playing at home first will suit us with 40k hopefully spurring us on to a first leg lead. I think it would have suited you lot more to get a lead at home first leg and then come to VP and be able to play on the break.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #369 on: May 02, 2019, 03:21:07 PM »
  :-*

Should be two cracking semi finals I agree and two crackling atmospheres reminiscent of the cup game in 2015.
I actually think us playing at home first will suit us with 40k hopefully spurring us on to a first leg lead. I think it would have suited you lot more to get a lead at home first leg and then come to VP and be able to play on the break.

Or we could just dominate the entire VP game much like the league game, then play out an even Stevens draw at home... Much like the League game.

I'm still not convinced Bielsa won't rest his entire 1st XI on Sunday in the hopes of playing you again with last weekends debacle fresh in the players memory. Problem being, I expect us to rest the better players also (Gayle, Phillips, Hegazi, Brunt, Gibbs etc.) meaning it's unlikely we'll get the required 3 points to leap frog them.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #370 on: May 02, 2019, 03:22:42 PM »
Anyone considered this nightmare scenario?

Boro lose to Rotherham and Pulis gets the sack

We win the play offs and get promoted, yet are still technically managerless so, advert goes out for manager with proven Premier League track record.

Sweet Dreams  :o
i'd be amazed if he came back, annnnnd jinx

tylerm

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #371 on: May 02, 2019, 04:05:07 PM »

Or we could just dominate the entire VP game much like the league game, then play out an even Stevens draw at home... Much like the League game.

I'm still not convinced Bielsa won't rest his entire 1st XI on Sunday in the hopes of playing you again with last weekends debacle fresh in the players memory. Problem being, I expect us to rest the better players also (Gayle, Phillips, Hegazi, Brunt, Gibbs etc.) meaning it's unlikely we'll get the required 3 points to leap frog them.

I have just read that 10 of the squad that started the previous game must be included on Sunday. These are new EFL rules. I presume that’s squad and not team but it does make a difference to team selection

BlackCountryVilla

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #372 on: May 02, 2019, 04:13:11 PM »
From the Express and Star:

If #wba finish fourth they will visit #avfc at 12.30pm on Saturday, May 11, then host the return leg on Tuesday, May 14 (8pm). If they finish third, they will travel to either Derby/Boro/Bristol C at 5.15pm on the Saturday, with the home leg on Wednesday, May 15 (8pm). Clear?

WMP will definitely have been consulted with that and said they didn't want Villa v Albion as the late kick off, as Game B is always the later second kick off.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 04:25:43 PM by BlackCountryVilla »

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #373 on: May 02, 2019, 04:24:01 PM »
The lady I spoke to was wrong.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #374 on: May 02, 2019, 04:34:18 PM »
From the EFL WEB PAGE.