Author Topic: Rekeem Harper Joins Ipswich Town  (Read 217447 times)

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: Rekeem Harper
« Reply #725 on: July 07, 2019, 07:46:04 AM »

Brunt is better than Field. End of story really...
It's not end of story (at least not for me  :D).

It's a sliding scale in that Brunt is getting further past his peak age and Field is getting closer to reaching peak age, though not close to it yet.
So if you class the main attributes necessary for CM/DM as (in no particular order) passing, tackling, movement.  (Experience shouldn't come into it as that is an immeasurable and not am actual part of the game).

Tackling - I think even you would find it tricky to make a case for Brunt being the better tackler...especially after the Villa game (liability) ??

Passing, Brunt has the occasional 'worldy' assist but we haven't seen Field have chance to settle in and feel like he belongs. (Megson reckoned Field had the best passing range at the club).

Movement, well I confidently predict Field will have the better game in game out engine this season. Brunt's best efforts in the past 18 months or so have been from the bench when he knows he only has 20 or 25 minutes to get through.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #726 on: July 07, 2019, 08:44:40 AM »

Brunt is better than Field. End of story really...

Not really, they are different types of players.

Unlike some I do still think Brunty has a role to play next season but I'd like to see him used primarily off the bench. If we need a goal with 20-25 minutes to go that's when I'd like to see Brunty introduced when teams are tiring a little bit and he can get time on the ball to deliver quality with that left foot of his. He is versatile in that you can play him wide right, wide left or more centrally against a team parking the bus, his lack of mobility isn't as much of an issue in such circumstances.

In terms of starting games, Bilic has already intimated that he wants to play a higher tempo, more energetic style (as indeed has Dowling) and that won't ideally suit Brunt.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #727 on: July 07, 2019, 02:42:33 PM »
Brunt is comfortably the better player at the respective stages of their career. Of that, I have no doubt.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #728 on: July 07, 2019, 02:51:12 PM »

Not really, they are different types of players.

Unlike some I do still think Brunty has a role to play next season but I'd like to see him used primarily off the bench. If we need a goal with 20-25 minutes to go that's when I'd like to see Brunty introduced when teams are tiring a little bit and he can get time on the ball to deliver quality with that left foot of his. He is versatile in that you can play him wide right, wide left or more centrally against a team parking the bus, his lack of mobility isn't as much of an issue in such circumstances.

In terms of starting games, Bilic has already intimated that he wants to play a higher tempo, more energetic style (as indeed has Dowling) and that won't ideally suit Brunt.
Brunt can not play in Central midfield cost us numerous times last season especially home against vile

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #729 on: July 07, 2019, 02:52:32 PM »
One is a natural central midfielder who can tackle and the other is a natural wide player shoehorned into the middle where he looks uncomfortable and has nowhere near the impact he can have from out wide, two totally different players.

Now as the topic is about Rekeem Harper lets talk about him  ;)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 10:14:53 PM by OldburyWBA »

kanu

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #730 on: July 07, 2019, 11:20:50 PM »
With him signing does this put to bed the Chelsea lad joining?
I hope not, the Chelsea lad sounds like he’d be a great addition to our first team. He played 40 odd games for Ipswich last year and their fans rated him very highly.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #731 on: July 08, 2019, 08:28:23 AM »
Brunt can not play in Central midfield cost us numerous times last season especially home against vile

Yet when bought back into the team, he had 3 MOTM performances. That proves he can be consistently effective in midfield. Brunts record speaks for itself.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #732 on: July 08, 2019, 09:23:09 AM »
Yet when bought back into the team, he had 3 MOTM performances. That proves he can be consistently effective in midfield. Brunts record speaks for itself.
Completely depends on the opposition.  Put him in the midfield against anyone with pace and who will run at him and it's like playing with a man down.  Actually, it's worse as he'll give fouls away that simply not having a player there wouldn't do.  ;D

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #733 on: July 08, 2019, 09:28:36 AM »
Only just seen this and it is great news. Hopefully, he can knuckle down, ensure he's on the team sheet every week and really realise his potential. Exciting talent.
Would also be nice if it sets down a marker, for even younger players who may have their heads turned by bigger clubs. Money's great but you can't beat playing games.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #734 on: July 08, 2019, 10:59:31 AM »
Can we stick to Rekeem Harper please, one polite request was posted and ignored, anymore posts removed.

There is a topic already open entitled CENTRE MIDFIELD which would be better suited.

http://westbrom.com/forum/index.php?topic=22153.0
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 11:05:07 AM by OldburyWBA »

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #735 on: July 08, 2019, 12:43:03 PM »
Glad to see Harper stay - there is lots of ability and potential there, we just need to ensure we improve other areas of his game.

His emergence from January has been very good - he lost his way a bit towards the end but hopefully Billic can bring him back on track.

We need someone who can carry the ball from midfield, with pace and power and Harper provides that. He's a different option and should not be sniffed at.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

kanu

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #736 on: July 08, 2019, 04:08:41 PM »
Glad to see Harper stay - there is lots of ability and potential there, we just need to ensure we improve other areas of his game.

His emergence from January has been very good - he lost his way a bit towards the end but hopefully Billic can bring him back on track.

We need someone who can carry the ball from midfield, with pace and power and Harper provides that. He's a different option and should not be sniffed at.
Agree totally, he looked good in parts 2nd half of last season. Hopefully Slav will get Sam Field and Edwards up to speed too.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #737 on: July 08, 2019, 07:57:16 PM »
Agree totally, he looked good in parts 2nd half of last season. Hopefully Slav will get Sam Field and Edwards up to speed too.

Highest pass completion rate in our midfield last season, unlike Livermore and Brunt constantly giving the ball away. Not only was he tasked with breaking between the lines and revolving possession he was also struggling to cover for his dad's army midfield teammates who had the mobility of OAPs. I'm looking forward to seeing him play in central midfield alongside a new capable midfielder who can actually play and hold his own. It's a shame Barry has gone and that Brunt and Livermore are still on the wages, Barry was ten times the player of both of them combined.

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #738 on: July 09, 2019, 09:58:11 AM »
Good news that he has signed the deal but he must get his head down now, work hard and earn his right to be in the team.

will be very interesting to see how he is this season.

i could be completely wrong but i just get the feeling he came back to sign that contract because he hadn't got a better offer elsewhere.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #739 on: July 09, 2019, 10:07:46 AM »
Good news that he has signed the deal but he must get his head down now, work hard and earn his right to be in the team.

will be very interesting to see how he is this season.

i could be completely wrong but i just get the feeling he came back to sign that contract because he hadn't got a better offer elsewhere.
Most of the players who join the club come here because it's the best they can do . They don't come here because they like the Black Country or us as supporters. He is a good player who will thrive under Bilic
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

BaggieBirdRus

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #740 on: August 18, 2019, 12:01:08 AM »
Not even in the starting 11 or squad today. Had a really poor game on Tuesday so hopefully this will give him a kick up the backside.
Ohhhhh Albion we love you!

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #741 on: August 18, 2019, 12:05:01 AM »
It is a bit optimistic to expect a lad of his experience to perform week week out, I would call a resting him rather than a kick up the backside
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #742 on: August 18, 2019, 12:52:46 AM »
It's early days in along season, so he will definitely get his chances. It's up to him to impress and up his game. Luckily, we have a decent squad, so there's competition for places.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #743 on: September 18, 2019, 08:50:51 PM »
Anyone know what's going on with him?
I was pleased when he signed a new deal and he looks a player - but hasn't featured for us this season. Is he injured or am I missing something?

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #744 on: September 18, 2019, 09:17:56 PM »
Anyone know what's going on with him?
I was pleased when he signed a new deal and he looks a player - but hasn't featured for us this season. Is he injured or am I missing something?

He's been playing in the U23's lately and from what I've heard has been fairly disappointing.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #745 on: October 01, 2019, 10:51:20 PM »
Where is Harper? Has the ability too walk into our first team.

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #746 on: October 01, 2019, 10:58:18 PM »
Clearly Bilic don’t think so, on the recent evidence I’d side with bilic. Harper isn’t at the quality of the first eleven.

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #747 on: October 02, 2019, 08:38:48 AM »

are you related to him?

amazed by that comment. i wouldnt swap him for any of our starting midfielders or our sub midfielders at the moment.

when ever i have seen him, he does not work enough, and never gets involved or dictates the game as much as he should.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #748 on: October 02, 2019, 09:59:59 AM »
I think his performances started to taper off towards the end of last season, he started to look like he couldn't be arsed, especially against Derby.
That and the sudden interest by Celtic I think probably put other things into his head.
Still a bit concerting that he isn't even making the squad when he showed so much potential last season.
Didn't we tie him up into a new deal at the start of the season as well?
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #749 on: October 02, 2019, 12:09:27 PM »
I think his performances started to taper off towards the end of last season, he started to look like he couldn't be arsed, especially against Derby.
That and the sudden interest by Celtic I think probably put other things into his head.
Still a bit concerting that he isn't even making the squad when he showed so much potential last season.
Didn't we tie him up into a new deal at the start of the season as well?

Tells you everything about the squad changeover.  At one point towards the end of the season due to injuries he was both the best ball carrier AND most creative midfielder on the books!   Now he has Krov, Sawyers, Pez, Diagana and a fit again Phillips offering legs and creativity.   If he applies himself he will get a chance at dome point and will need to shine.