Author Topic: Rekeem Harper Joins Ipswich Town  (Read 217472 times)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Rekeem Harper
« Reply #575 on: May 24, 2019, 07:55:57 AM »
None of the youngsters should be in the 1st team squad unless they have signed a contract with us for at least 18 months ahead.  We should not provide a platform for them to be snapped up by other clubs.  We are not niave, so we must be stupid.

Isn't it the case that if they have played first team football they are then more valuable assets as they are no longer "academy" players ? I Seem to remember a couple of the "kids" being played so they cannot get poached so cheaply.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #576 on: May 28, 2019, 12:38:05 PM »
Would of thought he would of signed by now if he was going to

Think it's safe to say he's gone

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #577 on: May 28, 2019, 12:54:56 PM »
Wouldn't surprise me to see him end up at Villa.

Xpresso

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #578 on: May 28, 2019, 02:20:59 PM »
Seems his attitude is all wrong. The fact that he hasn't made the England U20 squad when Field and Edwards have speaks volumes. He looked as though he had a bright future when he first broke into the first team, but his performances tailed off miserably after the first couple of games. If, as someone else said, he's playing the Billy Big Balls behind the scenes then he's best gone asap.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #579 on: May 28, 2019, 02:43:54 PM »
Seems his attitude is all wrong. The fact that he hasn't made the England U20 squad when Field and Edwards have speaks volumes. He looked as though he had a bright future when he first broke into the first team, but his performances tailed off miserably after the first couple of games. If, as someone else said, he's playing the Billy Big Balls behind the scenes then he's best gone asap.

They appear to adhere strictly to age group with England. Harper is still in the u19s.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

cornishbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #580 on: May 29, 2019, 01:34:29 PM »
Would of thought he would of signed by now if he was going to

Think it's safe to say he's gone

With no manager in place, no player in their right mind is going to sign with us right now.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #581 on: May 30, 2019, 07:00:00 AM »
Morrison suggesting that Harper signs the contract we have offered him.
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/west-brom-celtic-transfer-news-16349851
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #582 on: May 30, 2019, 08:03:37 AM »
Freeing up some of Celtic's budget so Morrison can sign for them instead.

He's got a head on his shoulders has James, always one step ahead  ;D  ;) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #583 on: May 30, 2019, 08:51:19 AM »
Freeing up some of Celtic's budget so Morrison can sign for them instead.

He's got a head on his shoulders has James, always one step ahead  ;D  ;) .

I can see Mozza joining Rangers.

I found his article quite bizarre that he mentioned Celtic, other than the odd press rumour there's nothing to confirm Celtic are even interested in Rekeem, unless I have missed something...

I would happily see Rekeem stay here but as others have said, if he leaves he leaves. I have said before I think Field is the better of the two. I think his timing of coming into the first 11 when the midfield looked static, adding that hes 'one of our own' really got the fans on his side, however I don't think he's as good as some think he is.

Harper is at an important stage of his career now, he still has A LOT to learn in his position, there were numerous times where you could see him switching off, not tracking runners etc this can obvisouly be coached into him - if he isn't to stay here then he really needs to be choosing a club where he will get good coaching and not just sitting in the under 23's for someone.

I don't blame the kid for not signing a contract yet, if I was in his position I would be weighing up my positions and also waiting for the club to make a managerial appointment and seeing what the new guys plans are.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #584 on: May 30, 2019, 09:43:48 AM »

I found his article quite bizarre that he mentioned Celtic, other than the odd press rumour there's nothing to confirm Celtic are even interested in Rekeem, unless I have missed something...

I would happily see Rekeem stay here but as others have said, if he leaves he leaves. I have said before I think Field is the better of the two. I think his timing of coming into the first 11 when the midfield looked static, adding that hes 'one of our own' really got the fans on his side, however I don't think he's as good as some think he is.

Harper is at an important stage of his career now, he still has A LOT to learn in his position, there were numerous times where you could see him switching off, not tracking runners etc this can obvisouly be coached into him - if he isn't to stay here then he really needs to be choosing a club where he will get good coaching and not just sitting in the under 23's for someone.

I don't blame the kid for not signing a contract yet, if I was in his position I would be weighing up my positions and also waiting for the club to make a managerial appointment and seeing what the new guys plans are.

wasn't Harper supposed to have been a VIP guest of Celtic at a recent game, hence why Lennon was at our play off game?

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #585 on: May 30, 2019, 10:56:53 AM »

Saw a report few weeks ago Harper was in the crowd watching a recent game and the reason Lennon was here watching us against villa was to watch Harper. Could be nothing but who knows.

Morrison has been linked with Celtic a few times over the years, he still has a house in Middlesbrough so I guess that one still appeals to him.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #586 on: May 30, 2019, 11:08:01 AM »
I think comparing Field and Harper is a touch unfair. Sam is 2 years older and has been around the first team for about 3 seasons now, although his minutes have been limited. Harper is by no means the finished article but with the right players around him and a good coach, he could be a real asset.

Of course he could leave and then all of this is moot

He/him

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #587 on: May 30, 2019, 01:18:52 PM »
The fact he still hasnt signed screams of wanting to move clubs. If he was committed, he knows the deal on the table, so he either says yes, or Im off. Worse case scenario is he waits for better deal to come along, which doesn't happen, and he begrudgingly signs our deal. I'd set him a date to sign by, or s*d off. He's clearly not that committed to the club.

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #588 on: May 30, 2019, 02:26:30 PM »
The fact he still hasnt signed screams of wanting to move clubs. If he was committed, he knows the deal on the table, so he either says yes, or Im off. Worse case scenario is he waits for better deal to come along, which doesn't happen, and he begrudgingly signs our deal. I'd set him a date to sign by, or s*d off. He's clearly not that committed to the club.

Don't think this is a factor, but maybe our new manager will be a major factor.

If my boss was about to change and might not rate me but  I could earn more or similar elsewhere but know I was wanted, would you not wait??

Personally, I think he was gone a long time ago but I would wait to see the new bloke - will you play me?  If non committal, I would go elsewhere who would commit to me.

Also think, outlet second offer was made for the benefit of the tribunal. He has only been at Albion the last three years because he signed a pre contract agreement and couldn't get out of it.
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #589 on: June 03, 2019, 09:45:44 AM »
Something wrong with the financial packages club is offering to our kids if yet another decides to run down contract and leave. Last season we couldn't even compete with a team in the Championship who were willing to pay Roberts wages while we were in Prem and in Saidos break out season he was reportedly on £500.00 a week playing in the richest league in the world. If Harper does leave, I won't blame him I will blame the clowns running the club.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #590 on: June 03, 2019, 09:58:57 AM »
Something wrong with the financial packages club is offering to our kids if yet another decides to run down contract and leave. Last season we couldn't even compete with a team in the Championship who were willing to pay Roberts wages while we were in Prem and in Saidos break out season he was reportedly on £500.00 a week playing in the richest league in the world. If Harper does leave, I won't blame him I will blame the clowns running the club.

Don't forget if they run their contracts down they can ask for a substantial signing on fee at a new club.
We seem daft enough to pay wages for the likes of Krykoviac (reportedly £118k/week) and let decent prospects walk away before we offer them a few bob more
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #591 on: June 03, 2019, 09:59:39 AM »
I don't think it's just a financial issue personally. There's a common theme that our best youngsters over the past ten years have not decided to stay here to develop. As soon as they're able they've been off. Occasionally this might have been financial (Izzy Brown) but all cases can't have been.

How do we expect to compete if we sign the Livermores and Burkes of the World and don't try to develop the likes of Field or Harper who both have potential to be established championship players at least if developed properly.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #592 on: June 03, 2019, 10:00:39 AM »
Being linked with Celtic now.

The trouble we had is quite simple, it's two problems.

1) While we were in the Prem it's more difficult to find youth players who can make that step up.  It's not impossible it's just much more difficult to find one who can compete at that level.  This means youth players will see their options more limited and more likely to seek a move away.  It's why we would lose players to lower division clubs, it's simply that the bar to compete at lower levels is a lot lower. 

2) When we do have a player who looks promising, we need to make sure we pay them enough to want to stay.  Given the choice of sitting on the bench or not making the squad or playing regular first team football for about the same pay, if not more, what would you choose?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 10:19:56 AM by boinging_along »

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #593 on: June 03, 2019, 11:02:26 AM »
He has only played just over 20 senior games and assessing him in those i would not be too upset if he left to be honest.

and from a financial point of view, it would be interesting to know but we cant be handing kids 4 year contracts on 20k a week when theyve only played 20 times. would be silly.

let him go and move on IMO.

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #594 on: June 03, 2019, 12:59:33 PM »
A decent agent would be looking to talk up his Albion deal.  That means finding a reference point externally for what he could get paid, hence the talks with other clubs in including in Scotland.  I am not sure a Scottish move would be a great idea or his or his agents preference, even to a very large club.  Better off stopping with us, but only if we pay a decent wage.  The challenge though is with no Manager on board, we have no clear strategy which could help us do this.  So we might lose him and a number of others.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #595 on: June 03, 2019, 01:44:19 PM »
Fan's on here may know better than me, and I'd welcome the feedback, but I can't recall, since our academy was introduced and I'm  not saying there hasn't been, a young player who has allowed his contract to run down, left and then gone on too much bigger and better things than the Albion.

Can anyone enlighten me please?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #596 on: June 03, 2019, 01:48:00 PM »
Fan's on here may know better than me, and I'd welcome the feedback, but I can't recall, since our academy was introduced and I'm  not saying there hasn't been, a young player who has allowed his contract to run down, left and then gone on too much bigger and better things than the Albion.

Tyler Roberts arguably. He ran it down, said he wouldn't sign, so we sold him. Leeds better and bigger??

Define bigger and better?

Izzy Brown is a multi millionaire - he is better off financially for his family at Chelsea than being with us? Football wise, he has wasted his career, but his family are sorted for life.
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #597 on: June 03, 2019, 01:49:29 PM »

There isnt one.

Roofe & Roberts are playing at the same level but at the time we were an established premier league club and could not offer them regular football.

some fans want us to throw money at young kids but you just cannot do that. and the most important thing is, they have to be good enough. and a lot that have been given chances have not been.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #598 on: June 03, 2019, 02:04:11 PM »
Tyler Roberts arguably. He ran it down, said he wouldn't sign, so we sold him. Leeds better and bigger??

Izzy Brown is a multi millionaire - he is better off financially for his family at Chelsea than being with us? Football wise, he has wasted his career, but his family are sorted for life.

Bigger and Better
1. Playing in a higher league
2. playing for a successful club
3. appearing in the first team of that successful club regularly
4. winning titles, cups, medals
5. playing international football at a senior level in World Cup's et al.

Of course money is important, but at what cost?

And I think other young players we have, will continue to have their heads turned with little in the way of any of the above.

But still searching to identify anyone that has become a headliner in such circumstances as I described, maybe that's me being over ambitious, a bit like some of our youngsters perhaps

赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #599 on: June 03, 2019, 02:08:14 PM »

Has he though?

He's played over 70 games since leaving us (Championship level and above) and in between suffered an ACL injury that has taken best part of 12 months to recover from. Would he have got that many games here? I doubt it very much. He'll go out on loan again next season but still no lower than the level we are at.

As for Harper I can see why he's keeping his options open. The way the club is being run at the moment and lack of ambition I'd be surprised if anyone wanted to stay. If he goes to Celtic he's pretty much guaranteed Silverware and a brief taste of the Champions league. A step up from staying here IMO.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club