Author Topic: James Morrison  (Read 446603 times)

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Re: James Morrison
« Reply #1625 on: September 13, 2017, 10:47:50 AM »
I completely agree with the above poster, Morrison needs to come in for Livermore, and if he doesn't then Chadli or even J Rod moving over to the middle from the left. Otherwise there's going to be a huge gap between the middle and front 3, this was very evident on Saturday.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1626 on: September 13, 2017, 12:56:59 PM »
Rodriguez is not a better AM than Morrison.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1627 on: September 16, 2017, 05:51:03 PM »
Morrison is definitely not the answer when looking for someone to link play between the defence and attack through the middle. After using up one of his three reasonable performances a season last week, he was back to his usual anonymous and virtually invisible performance today. Unfortunately we don't seem to have any other attacking central midfielders in the squad except Chadli who is injured/on the naughty chair. This position is the priority in January surely.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1628 on: September 16, 2017, 09:57:17 PM »
As they say in bonny Scotland,"see you Jimmy!"
I think it means goodbye this time,but thanks.

bangkokbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1629 on: September 17, 2017, 12:35:01 AM »
Morrison is definitely not the answer when looking for someone to link play between the defence and attack through the middle. After using up one of his three reasonable performances a season last week, he was back to his usual anonymous and virtually invisible performance today. Unfortunately we don't seem to have any other attacking central midfielders in the squad except Chadli who is injured/on the naughty chair. This position is the priority in January surely.

It didn't appear to be a priority in the summer window which for me was a must. Morrison can't be relied on, as you say he disappears in most games during the season and just occasionally puts in a performance.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1630 on: September 17, 2017, 06:53:25 AM »
One day we want Morrison in the team, the next day we don't, our fan base is so fickle its making me stop reading half of the posts, its hard to respond to such nonsense.
Baggie in Southampton

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1631 on: September 17, 2017, 07:47:25 AM »
One day we want Morrison in the team, the next day we don't, our fan base is so fickle its making me stop reading half of the posts, its hard to respond to such nonsense.

Not sure it's being fickle, when one week he turns up and the next week he doesn't. Surely you can see that. Problem is it's such an important position that when he doesn't turn up we generally don't do very well

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1632 on: September 17, 2017, 08:38:10 AM »
We don't play through the middle of the park our number 10 seldom gets the ball in the final third in total he had 36 touches yesterday and only one was in the opposition box and the majority were in the back two thirds of the pitch and a lot were out wide. He went for 2 10 minute periods without touching the ball.

This is starvation rations the only way he would get on the ball is come deeper and then he won't be hurting the opposition nor will he or more importantly his team mates have a forward pass available to them. Give Chadli the ball in the same spots and you aren't going to get a better outcome.

To call anyone an attacking midfielder in a Pulis side is an offence under the trade descriptions act we should have traded Chadli for Deeney as was mooted in some quarters and just lumped it forward. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 03:56:31 PM by Standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1633 on: September 17, 2017, 10:18:12 AM »

Would wager those wanting him in the side do so only out of a lack of other options in our squad for that attacking midfield role. My preference would always be Chadli there and give him a run of games in the role but he is either not fit, or still not in the good books. Without Chadli I would go with both Rondon and J Rod through the middle as the days of Morrison performing consistently are long gone sadly, he should have been moved on a year or two back to free the wage up form someone better.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1634 on: September 17, 2017, 04:43:47 PM »
Consistency has always been his achilles heel or lack of  should say.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 07:59:30 AM by geoff »

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1635 on: September 17, 2017, 05:25:43 PM »
There is an issue with the No.10 position and the way we play as Standaman says.
Morrison showed up well at Brighton it seems when he came on - think that was more a case of knowing you've only got 20 minutes so you don't have to conserve energy as much. The game is usually a bit more stretched in the last 20 mins as well with tired legs around.

Deeney would suit us better. I don't think it equals lumping it up there as Deeney can play but he obviously has more strength and I'd say generally works harder than Chadli or Morrison. This matter could be continued in the Jan window.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1636 on: September 17, 2017, 06:49:00 PM »
There is an issue with the No.10 position and the way we play as Standaman says.
Morrison showed up well at Brighton it seems when he came on - think that was more a case of knowing you've only got 20 minutes so you don't have to conserve energy as much. The game is usually a bit more stretched in the last 20 mins as well with tired legs around.

Deeney would suit us better. I don't think it equals lumping it up there as Deeney can play but he obviously has more strength and I'd say generally works harder than Chadli or Morrison. This matter could be continued in the Jan window.

It is lump it up to Deeney or another slightly withdrawn big man striker and frankly trading an Attacking Midfielder for one even one of Morrision's the fairly modest talents is vanadlising the squad to get a slightly more effective brand of Pulisball

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1637 on: September 17, 2017, 09:36:30 PM »
It is lump it up to Deeney or another slightly withdrawn big man striker and frankly trading an Attacking Midfielder for one even one of Morrision's the fairly modest talents is vanadlising the squad to get a slightly more effective brand of Pulisball
From what I've seen, Deeney is a better footballer than other big man strikers who might play in the slightly deeper role and I think that's why Pulis is interested.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1638 on: September 17, 2017, 10:34:51 PM »
He was awful yesterday truly awful

Should be moving down the pecking order as the squad grows

id have Chadli in over him all day long

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1639 on: December 14, 2017, 09:28:32 PM »
Think we should move him on in the summer,getting more injury prone by the year and less effective imo,as good a servant he's been he is probably a top earner so just 53 league games and 9 goals in the last three seasons i think we could do better.

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1640 on: December 14, 2017, 10:13:27 PM »
Jimmy and few others been here past there sale by date .

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1641 on: December 14, 2017, 10:38:00 PM »
I just want him back to score at least another two goals so that he overtakes Odemwingie as our overall Top Premier League scorer...

Much prefer a great servant of the club hold the honour rather than a mercenary.

On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1642 on: December 15, 2017, 05:56:56 AM »
Think we should move him on in the summer,getting more injury prone by the year and less effective imo,as good a servant he's been he is probably a top earner so just 53 league games and 9 goals in the last three seasons i think we could do better.
Probably, but he could still win us a game or two this season if he's used effectively.  The same applies to Brunt.

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1643 on: December 15, 2017, 09:41:58 AM »
I think we really need him right now, would really help pardew if he had either morrison or chadli back to play behind Rondon.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1644 on: December 15, 2017, 08:17:10 PM »
He is still a bit of an enigma.
He can fire on all cylinders one game and then becomes a clapped out old banger for the next 4.

vrabbit

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1645 on: December 15, 2017, 08:21:44 PM »
He is still a bit of an enigma.
He can fire on all cylinders one game and then becomes a clapped out old banger for the next 4.

he's been inconsistent over the last couple of seasons not to mention the injuries that have limited his availability. AP should see him as no more than an option on the bench at best.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1646 on: January 05, 2018, 11:52:06 PM »
More bad news.  Injury setback for jimmy.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/918158465?-11200:789:0

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1647 on: January 06, 2018, 09:15:09 AM »

What an absolute waste of time and money getting him on this new contract when he was ready to jump ship, the only reason he stayed is because no one else was daft enough to pay him what he wanted.

Appreciate everything James has done for us over the years but once again we’ve held on too long. Should be one of the first names out in the summer to reduce the wage bill.
No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no shots on target.......

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1648 on: January 06, 2018, 09:52:25 AM »

There's a mention there of needing to wrap Brunt in cotton wool and not risk injury as he's our only creative midfielder fit. We're getting to the point where we're going to have to risk Burke and maybe even Leko but playing them makes us way more susceptible to counter attacks and being left with a void at the back.

Real shame Morrison has had another setback.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1649 on: January 06, 2018, 10:28:52 AM »
There is absolutely no relief is there? We won't have a number 10 much before March unless we can somehow find one in the January window.

Seriously can't play either Phillips or Brunt today losing either for even a week would be a disaster.