Author Topic: Anything England Football  (Read 778937 times)

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

Re: Anything England Football
« Reply #2775 on: May 08, 2018, 08:42:04 AM »
Has Livermore consoledated his england chances for Russia
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2776 on: May 16, 2018, 09:49:18 AM »
With the BBC reporting that Wilshire won't be on the plane, I half expected Livermore to be there. Which is crazy.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

nick_wba

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2777 on: May 16, 2018, 12:18:00 PM »
I find it far crazier that Livermore is being considered in place of Shelvey. He’s such a dynamic player and has that “pizazz” that England are really lacking. He would be the next man on the plan after Kane and Sterling for me. Dier and Henderson currently do what Livermore does (to a much better standard), so why is he going?

Mind boggling and gutting for Shelvey – more than deserves a place.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2778 on: May 16, 2018, 01:15:14 PM »
I find it far crazier that Livermore is being considered in place of Shelvey. He’s such a dynamic player and has that “pizazz” that England are really lacking. He would be the next man on the plan after Kane and Sterling for me. Dier and Henderson currently do what Livermore does (to a much better standard), so why is he going?

England "don't do flair" which is why they always get to the QF's and get found out.  They are complete "non-risk takers". 

Contrast that with the likes of Portugal, Spain, France, Italy who occasionally fail to quality / get jettisoned in the group stage.  But when those nations impose their style and play with confidence they go all the way and win the trophy.

Until both the "functional style of play" and "fear factor" are removed we'll never achieve anything.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2779 on: May 16, 2018, 02:13:19 PM »
Gareth Southgate announces his squad for the 2018 World Cup Finals

Goalkeepers

Jack Butland, Jordan Pickford, Nick Pope

Defenders

Trent Alexander-Arnold, Gary Cahill, Phil Jones, Harry Maguire, Danny Rose, John Stones, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker, Ashley Young

Midfielders

Eric Dier, Dele Alli, Jordan Henderson, Fabian Delph, Jesse Lingard, Ruben Loftus-Cheek

Forwards

Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Raheem Sterling, Danny Welbeck, Jamie Vardy
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2780 on: May 16, 2018, 02:37:20 PM »
Looks a very unbalanced squad to me. 7 or 8 players that have played f/b for both club and country , why no Shelvey in m/f has been outstanding this season , a much better and more creative passer of the ball thsn either Dier or Henderson and the choice of Welbeck ahead of an out and out goalscorer like Defoe makes no sense at all to me
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2781 on: May 16, 2018, 02:40:38 PM »
The Squad

Goalkeepers

Jack Butland, Jordan Pickford, Nick Pope

Defenders

Trent Alexander-Arnold, Gary Cahill, Phil Jones, Harry Maguire, Danny Rose, John Stones, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker, Ashley Young

Midfielders

Eric Dier, Dele Alli, Jordan Henderson, Fabian Delph, Jesse Lingard, Ruben Loftus-Cheek

Forwards

Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Raheem Sterling, Danny Welbeck, Jamie Vardy
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2782 on: May 16, 2018, 02:42:48 PM »
Just a very limited squad. Strength in fullback areas and not much else.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

nick_wba

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2783 on: May 16, 2018, 02:51:21 PM »
Kane, Vardy and Rashford are a good set of strikers to choose from...on paper.

Happy Loftus-Cheek made it, very impressive this season.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2784 on: May 16, 2018, 03:00:47 PM »
Kane, Vardy and Rashford are a good set of strikers to choose from...on paper.

Happy Loftus-Cheek made it, very impressive this season.
Don't forget Sterling, 18 goals this season.
If we get the right balance and everyone hits form, we have a very strong chance IMO.
Can't wait.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2785 on: May 16, 2018, 03:13:50 PM »
Good to see Joe Hart not being picked. Thought he would get in on his reputation but has gone backwards rather than forwards after his dreadful performances in Euro 2016. 

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2786 on: May 16, 2018, 03:28:16 PM »
Good to see Joe Hart not being picked. Thought he would get in on his reputation but has gone backwards rather than forwards after his dreadful performances in Euro 2016.

I have some sympathy for Hart, your right of course about 2016, but being forced out of Man City must also have dented his confidence even further.

He has 75 caps, Pope and Butland have 9 between them. It appears it is time for the old guard to step aside throughout the squad.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2787 on: May 16, 2018, 03:50:13 PM »

Looks a very unbalanced squad to me. 7 or 8 players that have played f/b for both club and country , why no Shelvey in m/f has been outstanding this season , a much better and more creative passer of the ball thsn either Dier or Henderson and the choice of Welbeck ahead of an out and out goalscorer like Defoe makes no sense at all to me

Hilarious how nobody wanted Shelvey before the March friendlies and in the 7 game since he's become Pirlo apparently. Bang average player who's rightfully nowhere near the squad. I've yet to see England at a tournament and think "what we really need here is someone playing more Hollywood passes"
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 03:51:52 PM by Dan »

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2788 on: May 16, 2018, 03:58:15 PM »
Overkill on centre backs there. Could have easily taken another creative midfielder such as Wilshere in place of Cahill or Jones.

Walker will play at centre back so you are effectively taking 5. It's not such an issue for the latter rounds where the emphasis would be on defence, but we will lack the creativity to even get that far by being unable to break down Tunisia and Panama who will employ Pulis tactics.

nick_wba

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2789 on: May 16, 2018, 04:07:47 PM »
Hilarious how nobody wanted Shelvey before the March friendlies and in the 7 game since he's become Pirlo apparently. Bang average player who's rightfully nowhere near the squad. I've yet to see England at a tournament and think "what we really need here is someone playing more Hollywood passes"

Absolutely nothing wrong with looking at recent form. The fact he is in the form of his life immediately before a major tournament is the main reason he should have been brought in. We need players that are in form and needing to perform for absolutely max 7 games (if you get to the final).

Not sure any players (apart from arguably Kane and Sterling) have been consistently top of their game for the whole season.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2790 on: May 16, 2018, 04:16:42 PM »
Shelvey is a really good player. Should've been in the squad.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2791 on: May 16, 2018, 04:25:56 PM »
Hate to say it but, if I were to take another midfielder, who is in form, it would be Grealish. (prepares to be pelted with rotten fruit)
If they go up, I think he will break into the squad next year.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2792 on: May 16, 2018, 04:33:08 PM »
Absolutely nothing wrong with looking at recent form. The fact he is in the form of his life immediately before a major tournament is the main reason he should have been brought in. We need players that are in form and needing to perform for absolutely max 7 games (if you get to the final).

Not sure any players (apart from arguably Kane and Sterling) have been consistently top of their game for the whole season.

If the form of his life is this, no thank you. He was rubbish against us too so he can hardly have been that consistent the last 7 games.

He's a perfect highlights player, the good odd good pass disguising the fact he loses the ball constantly trying the Hollywood ball. 72% pass success rate for a central midfielder is Craig Gardner-esque stuff. Losing the ball so charitably gets you punished, England should have learned this years ago when Gerrard and the like constantly tried it.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 04:34:47 PM by Dan »

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2793 on: May 16, 2018, 06:54:57 PM »
Pickford

Walker
Cahill
Maguire

Trippier
Henderson
Lingard
Alli
Rose

Kane
Sterling

That’s what I’d stick out first game.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2794 on: May 16, 2018, 07:28:30 PM »
Shelvey is a really good player. Should've been in the squad.

Quite.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2795 on: May 16, 2018, 07:52:51 PM »
Ashley Young! seriously.

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2796 on: May 16, 2018, 08:02:41 PM »
Ashley Young! seriously.

Been brilliant for United this season I’d start him over Rose. Don’t understand Delph bit gutted they couldn’t get Milner out of retirement.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2797 on: May 16, 2018, 08:53:42 PM »
The major emission for me is Wilshere. Ignore the injury issues and the fact that it is the fashionable thing to hate him, he's still the most talented midfielder we have at driving forward from deep positions. I'd have taken him and possibly Lallana if fit ahead of Delph and Welbeck. Other than that, I'm reasonably happy with the squad. The overload of right backs indicates we'll be playing a 343 with Walker at centre back.

Think I'm edging towards the following at the moment:

Pickford
Walker - Cahill - Jones
Trippier - Henderson - Lingard - Rose
Sterling - Kane - Alli

Really struggling with the centre backs though as we are so poor in that area and there is not much between Jones, Stones, Maguire and Cahill. Gone for Lingard in the centre because Dier would be completely pointless against Tunisia and Panama, I'd even consider dropping Alli further back and putting Rashford on the left as we'll be spending all game trying to break them down.

Really looking forward to the World Cup, going to be a hectic and exciting summer when coupled with the Albion re-build and the extremely tight transfer window.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2798 on: May 16, 2018, 11:08:37 PM »
The midfield is lot like breadsticks with no dip.

Ryan Sessengon should have gone.

Jonjo Shelvey is a victim of his own making. He's had a great season but is simply too prone to a moment of rashness and his ability doesn't make up for that. Him or Wilshere should have gone though. Alli will have the weight of England on his shoulders in that England midfield.

Danny Welbeck... Plays well for England is his only defence. An injury prone striker who cant finish... makes sense to take him.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2799 on: May 17, 2018, 02:59:49 AM »
The major emission for me is Wilshere. Ignore the injury issues and the fact that it is the fashionable thing to hate him, he's still the most talented midfielder we have at driving forward from deep positions. I'd have taken him and possibly Lallana if fit ahead of Delph and Welbeck. Other than that, I'm reasonably happy with the squad. The overload of right backs indicates we'll be playing a 343 with Walker at centre back.

Think I'm edging towards the following at the moment:

Pickford
Walker - Cahill - Jones
Trippier - Henderson - Lingard - Rose
Sterling - Kane - Alli

Really struggling with the centre backs though as we are so poor in that area and there is not much between Jones, Stones, Maguire and Cahill. Gone for Lingard in the centre because Dier would be completely pointless against Tunisia and Panama, I'd even consider dropping Alli further back and putting Rashford on the left as we'll be spending all game trying to break them down.

Really looking forward to the World Cup, going to be a hectic and exciting summer when coupled with the Albion re-build and the extremely tight transfer window.

Team I like but jones out Harry mac from Leicester in. Jones is a sick note he's the new Ledley king

Also surprised Henderson has made the team. Milner has been far better for Liverpool this season.
O Albion we love you