Author Topic: Jason Koumas - What a waste!  (Read 30839 times)

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

Re: Jason Koumas - What a waste!
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2012, 12:56:38 PM »
Definately the most gifted player I have seen up the Albion. But because of how he is he has never been a favourite of mine. Some of his runs and goals were out of this world.

Dale

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2012, 01:00:48 PM »
Most talented player Ive ever seen put on an Albion shirt. Like others have said could glide past players like there wasn't there. Was easily my favourite player, just a shame his work rate didn't match his natural talent.

I did hear a wisper he never really enjoyed playing football and only did it because he was told how good he was at it, and it was earning a living for good money. Probably not true but I did hear it once or twice.

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2012, 01:05:52 PM »
What a great bit of business the club did in selling him for £5.5mil though although I cant remember thinking that at the time.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2012, 02:26:59 PM »
As others have said, loads of ability and i enjoyed watching him but think he lacked the desire and application to be more than just a good player.

Never really regarded him as a fans favourite for the reasons stated above and i also heard a couple of times that he didnt really enjoy playing football, it was a job to him and one he happened to be good at!

That Essou-Akotto at Spurs is the same, if you have seen his interviews, he said he doesnt really enjoy football, its a job and living to him and means he can do other things he enjoys doing from the money earnt! Decent work if you can get it!

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2012, 02:49:43 PM »
At least Essou-Ekoto is being honest about it, some of the current players who profess to be footballers are scarcely deserving of the name !

I saw Koumas' display at Forest when we won 3-0 and he was the Albion team that day, he murdered Forest on his own and his long range goal was one of the best I have ever seen, he didnt just whack it as hard as he could and trusted to luck that ot would hit the target, he passed it into the top corner from 30 yards out. He's also the only player for the Albion that I have seen that has dribbled round Steve Gerrard and Man Utd midfielders, leaving Gerrard on his backside if I remember correctly !

Such a criminal waste of talent, he could have gone on to play for one of the top four with application but we all know what happened to that !
He's a lad from the Wrenna

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2012, 09:24:47 PM »
Great Albion player and a snip at £2.5 million.  It's such a shame to see where he is now.  I remember the 5-0 at home to Coventry 06/07 when we blitzed them and basically declared at HT.

He could have easily played for Chelsea or Man U and slotted in seamlessly.  Is someone like Rooney really that much better than Koumas at his peak?  Probably the only difference is workrate.  Unofrtunately JK never stood a chance in 02/03 because of the dross around him like AJ / McInnes / Jordao / A Chambers etc.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2012, 09:28:48 PM »
Unofrtunately JK never stood a chance in 02/03 because of the dross around him like AJ / McInnes / Jordao / A Chambers etc.

Dross? His attitude was his biggest problem. And if you think those players are dross, what did you think of Evans, De Freitas, Carbon et al.?

reiss

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2012, 09:32:39 PM »
he was amazing against forest in 03/04.
heres the vid of the macth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT8lzy_AGxI&feature=related

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2012, 10:50:47 PM »
Great Albion player and a snip at £2.5 million.  It's such a shame to see where he is now.  I remember the 5-0 at home to Coventry 06/07 when we blitzed them and basically declared at HT.

He could have easily played for Chelsea or Man U and slotted in seamlessly.  Is someone like Rooney really that much better than Koumas at his peak?  Probably the only difference is workrate.  Unofrtunately JK never stood a chance in 02/03 because of the dross around him like AJ / McInnes / Jordao / A Chambers etc.
Dross?......those are the very players that started the ball rolling regarding turning this club around,silly statement that one mate.Not to mention he barely played with Jordao and Adam Chambers!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2012, 11:05:37 PM »
Agree Dexy, Koumas wasn't THAT good to play for Chelsea or Man Utd imo.

It's funny you mention Assou-Akotto's attitude. Aged 21 or something, he had a bad injury and has came out since and said he thought his career was over. He says it's made him appreciate the game more than ever as it could be over in a second.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2012, 05:24:29 PM »
One of the few Albion players who by themselves could draw me to the stadium. Fantastic skill on the ball. The sort of skills we'd missed since Bobby Hope, Cantello. If only he'd had the right attitude and perhaps with the right man management, he could have become an Albion legend. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

wolverhampton baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2012, 08:27:48 PM »
Good as len Cantello was,  I wouldn't say skill in the Koumas or Hope sense was one of them.
Born and bred in Dudley

63Brummie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2012, 10:42:06 PM »
Lazy over rated loser who was not fit to lace the boots of Cunningham.
Very few are mate...
Wrong comparison???
Your Football team is the best example of pure unconditional love...that's why I'm a BAGGIE TO THE BONE

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2012, 12:00:19 AM »
Very few are mate...
Wrong comparison???

Not when people are saying he could have played for Man Utd!

He played at his level, upper Championship with a brief adventure in the Premiership, like hundreds before him!

Never was or will be an Albion great.
Baggie in Southampton

deejay

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2012, 12:48:18 AM »
Overated for me .  The true test between quality players and simply talented players is consistancy. Koumas consistanly under performed .  You need to work hard to be great thats how the likes of Scholes , Becks , Giggs etc became greats and Koumas was an also ran...
Hoult,Mulligan,Statham,Brown,Robertson,Wile,Robson,Cunningham,Regis,Giles,Johnston. I HATE VILLA MORE THAN YOU

http://david3525.fotopic.net            http://jacksgallery.fotopic.net

Ben1983

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2012, 03:57:33 AM »
Forest Away when we won 3-0, he scored 2 worldies and run the show!
WestBrom.com FC Number 10

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2012, 08:28:01 AM »

Astonishing disrespect towards players who sweat blood for this club whulst defending a scumbag who took the urine out of us and chucked his career in the bin.

The player you mock are part of a legendary albion team that changed this club forever, im flabbergasted at the disrespect to be quite frank.
Hoult, Balis, Sigurdsson, Moore, Gilchrist, Clement, Jordao, Johnson, McInnes, Roberts, Taylor.
Dobie, Dichio, Chambers x 2...........They are grest albion players who actually achieved somthing.
I only go for the beer.

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2012, 09:48:24 AM »

The difference is Rooney has heart and desire to improve himself, Koumas had none.

Those other players you mention should have been perfect foil for Koumas to just concentrate on the attacking nature of his game but he just didnt want to know when someone asked him to contribute something out of what he felt was his role.

Perhaps if he had concentrated on his career rather than little red pens and slips of paper with horses on it then we might be talking about a player who left us to go onto big things.

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2012, 10:12:05 AM »
 When it comes off its great to watch and very effective but some of the time it wont, he had more talent than those around him however didnt have the work rate and teamwork, when it goes wrong for the team these players are the first to blame because of there style, koumas is simply the best player to watch that i have seen at the albion in my eight years of going up, its what i pay my money to go and see and goes some what to justifying the ludicrous wages they get paid, it separates them from the roy keanes and kevin muscats of the game that have conned a living of snapping peoples legs.

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2012, 10:30:37 AM »
It wasnt a case of blaming Koumas because he was the first to be blamed, his attitude stuck out like a sore thumb.

As Gerrard says in his autobiography Koumas is the best player he has ever played with but application wise he was the worst.

For every Koumas in a side you need a Keane or Muscat.

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2012, 10:32:41 AM »
I agree yes you do need them they still do an important job but i just appreciate the koumas type player more unfortunetly most of the them have defeatist attitudes at times.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2012, 11:58:30 AM »
I dont think it is.  Koumas has more natural talent in his big toe than Lampard has.  What exactly is to Lampards game?  Arriving at the edge of the box to shoot from long range?  Thats his specialty and hes superb at it and made a very good career from it.

If Koumas would have shown the same application as Lampard has over the years then I know who I think would have been the better player.

Timing and vision mate. Lampard isn't a player that looks spectacular for the most part but has a better footballing brain than the vast majority of midfielders in any league. To score as many from midfield, consistently as he has over the last decade makes him one of the most natrually talented players in recent years. Not the most skillful, but his talents produce results time and time again.

clintsmoker

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2012, 01:05:01 PM »
Have to say, he is the only player in an Albion shirt I have ever booed. 

crikey! you must be a saint. obviously weren't around during the 90's then.

mateinone

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2012, 05:57:09 PM »
The enormous talent he had was matched (and surpassed) by him being a giant ****.
Really frustrating to see such talent go to waste, easily the most talented Baggie I have seen.

westbrom87

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2012, 06:39:22 PM »
crikey! you must be a saint. obviously weren't around during the 90's then.

I was and I've booed Albion teams off the pitch, of course I have.

I mean he's the one single player that I've 'targeted' directly.