Author Topic: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD  (Read 1336388 times)

alex1

• WBA Coach

Re: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD
« Reply #8175 on: June 14, 2023, 05:28:46 PM »
Seen this on Twitter

"🚨 HUGE NEWS - Rules on foreign players relaxed 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Home Office has signed new rules for overseas footballers

Clubs in England can have up between 2 and 4 overseas players without the necessary work permit points.

Basically clubs can sign anyone"

Our top class scouting system will go into overdrive now after being held back by Brexit. Go go go

Excellent news if true. The only question is, is our scouting set-up ready? :(
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8176 on: June 14, 2023, 05:29:52 PM »
Excellent news if true. The only question is, is our scouting set-up ready? :(

Alex the personnel we have in our scouting and recruiting department is top notch. This is the moment they have been waiting for. All systems go!!

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #8177 on: June 14, 2023, 09:01:33 PM »
"ESC Players
Unless otherwise stated, references to paragraphs below are references to paragraphs within this
Appendix.

SECTION I: CRITERIA

1. A Player may be granted a GBE as an ESC Player provided that:
1.1. the club has evidenced to The FA’s satisfaction that the Player is an elite player and will make
a significant contribution to the sport. Guidance in respect of this will be issued by The FA
from time to time but, as a minimum, The FA expects the Player to have, within the ESC Player
Reference Period, satisfied one or more of the following:
1.1.1. played in at least one Youth Competitive International Match for a National
Association ranked in the top 50 places in the Aggregated FIFA World Rankings;
1.1.2. played in at least five Youth Competitive International Matches for a National
Association ranked outside the top 50 places in the Aggregated FIFA World Rankings;
1.1.3. played in at least one Continental Youth Competition Match;
1.1.4. played in at least five Domestic Youth Competition Matches;
1.1.5. played in at least one Senior Competitive International Match for a National
Association ranked in the top 50 places in the Aggregated FIFA World Rankings;
1.1.6. played in at least five Senior Competitive International Matches for a National
Association ranked outside the top 50 places in the Aggregated FIFA World Rankings;
1.1.7. played in at least one match in a Continental Competition; or
1.1.8. played in at least five Domestic Senior Competition Matches."

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/policies/player-registration/points-based-system
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #8178 on: June 14, 2023, 10:13:43 PM »
There's a lot to unpack with the new rules. A quick scan through the doc I linked above suggests:

The previous points system is still in place, so this is for players who don't meet that.

This season, the Championship get two ESC players just by virtue of being in the championship. Clubs can get another 2 players if their weighted number of minutes for English players (based on the team they would choose to represent on the international stage) is above30% (1 extra spot), or 35% (2 extra spots).

Where it gets interesting is from one season to the next, players can go from being an ESC to not, if they subsequently get enough points or an Auto-pass via the original system.  So basically any player who comes in as part of that 8, so long as they play 40% of more of their available minutes, they'll not take up an ESC slot the following year.

The max number of ESC slots for a club is 4, but obviously you have the original Auto-pass/points system in there too so it's giving quite a lot of freedom for teams to scout elsewhere if they need to.

I daresay some of the smarter operators will do some clever things with this system. For us, it might be we actually look to Europe a bit more

He/him

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8179 on: June 15, 2023, 02:47:29 AM »
It opens up a lot of possibilities. But I suspect clubs might take a little time adjust. For instance it opens up players from Ligue2 but I doubt many clubs have scouted Ligue2 much because generally for the last 2 years English clubs can't recruit from that league.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8180 on: June 15, 2023, 09:39:46 AM »
Leeds have appointed Nick Hammond as interim football advisor while finding a DOF.

Hopefully he's as good there as he was here.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8181 on: June 15, 2023, 09:44:43 AM »
Darren Witcoop
@DarrenOWitcoop
Leeds forward Tyler Roberts set to join Birmingham. QPR opted against turning the Wales international’s loan deal of last season into a permanent move  #BCFC

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8182 on: June 15, 2023, 11:48:21 AM »
There's a lot to unpack with the new rules. A quick scan through the doc I linked above suggests:

The previous points system is still in place, so this is for players who don't meet that.

This season, the Championship get two ESC players just by virtue of being in the championship. Clubs can get another 2 players if their weighted number of minutes for English players (based on the team they would choose to represent on the international stage) is above30% (1 extra spot), or 35% (2 extra spots).

Where it gets interesting is from one season to the next, players can go from being an ESC to not, if they subsequently get enough points or an Auto-pass via the original system.  So basically any player who comes in as part of that 8, so long as they play 40% of more of their available minutes, they'll not take up an ESC slot the following year.

The max number of ESC slots for a club is 4, but obviously you have the original Auto-pass/points system in there too so it's giving quite a lot of freedom for teams to scout elsewhere if they need to.

I daresay some of the smarter operators will do some clever things with this system. For us, it might be we actually look to Europe a bit more

It is interesting. In theory, after 3 years you can have a full 11 out that didn't meet the work permit qualifications.0

I expect the number of foreign teenagers coming over is going to explode (particularly South American teenagers). If you loan a 17 year old with an option to buy at the end of the next season, you have a year to review them and decide even if they are worth another ESC slot next season (assuming they aren't quite ready to hit the minutes).  Think you'll see English clubs rivaling your Portuguese sides in those markets more than ever.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #8183 on: June 15, 2023, 12:19:03 PM »
It is interesting. In theory, after 3 years you can have a full 11 out that didn't meet the work permit qualifications.0

I expect the number of foreign teenagers coming over is going to explode (particularly South American teenagers). If you loan a 17 year old with an option to buy at the end of the next season, you have a year to review them and decide even if they are worth another ESC slot next season (assuming they aren't quite ready to hit the minutes).  Think you'll see English clubs rivaling your Portuguese sides in those markets more than ever.

To get the points required, you do have to actually play those youngsters, unless they can get points from National teams etc.

I had a quick look at the number of minutes played by English players (not British, for these rules), and I estimate it to be around 60%, so although the full calculation is done on a match-by-match basis, I think we're safe to assume we have 4 slots open to us.

He/him

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8184 on: June 15, 2023, 02:34:51 PM »
To get the points required, you do have to actually play those youngsters, unless they can get points from National teams etc.

I had a quick look at the number of minutes played by English players (not British, for these rules), and I estimate it to be around 60%, so although the full calculation is done on a match-by-match basis, I think we're safe to assume we have 4 slots open to us.

I understood youngsters would need to play to get the points to pass based on the points system. However if they don't, I would imagine they remain in the ESC quota the following year so you can still bring them in 'early'. 

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8185 on: June 15, 2023, 02:40:57 PM »
Romano

Leicester City closing in on appointment of Enzo Maresca as new head coach — talks at final stages, details are being discussed 🚨🔵🦊 #LCFC

Maresca, set to sign soon if all goes to plan as The Athletic first called.

He’s prepared to leave Manchester City and Guardiola’s staff.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8186 on: June 16, 2023, 08:23:20 AM »
Blackburn sign another one.

Rovers are delighted to announce the signing of Norway international Sondre Tronstad on a three-year deal.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8187 on: June 16, 2023, 09:16:10 AM »
Blackburn sign another one.

Rovers are delighted to announce the signing of Norway international Sondre Tronstad on a three-year deal.

Looks like they're getting their business done early. Don't know much about this bloke but he seems a solid pro. With Niall Ennis on board they have an artist and an artisan in Mowbray parlance.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8188 on: June 16, 2023, 06:46:23 PM »
Enzo officially appointed at Leicester.

Looks like they're getting their business done early. Don't know much about this bloke but he seems a solid pro. With Niall Ennis on board they have an artist and an artisan in Mowbray parlance.

Diaz is a massive loss for them but maybe they won't fade as badly as i first thought.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #8189 on: June 16, 2023, 07:13:56 PM »

It always seems like we shall be getting the bottom of the barrel again at the end of the window.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8190 on: June 16, 2023, 07:18:26 PM »

It always seems like we shall be getting the bottom of the barrel again at the end of the window.

The garbage executives Lai employs will always have an excuse.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8191 on: June 16, 2023, 10:03:13 PM »

Like last year when we were one of the first to act and got two of the championships best players on a free?
But it’s easy yo just knock the club isnt it.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #8192 on: June 16, 2023, 10:10:31 PM »
Like last year when we were one of the first to act and got two of the championships best players on a free?
But it’s easy yo just knock the club isnt it.

Not sure we were "first to act", more "threw the most money at them".

He/him

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8193 on: June 16, 2023, 10:20:03 PM »

Same with BTA, just out bid Blues once his release fee was known.

They , more than likely, won't be able to do that this year

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8194 on: June 17, 2023, 08:10:13 PM »
I don't think it is question of choice. We are not in sell to buy mode we are in sell to survive mode. Unless another club are keen to "Get their business done early" and are prepared to pay for the privilege and that business includes taking one of players we aren't even in the game.

We will be lucky to see even a couple of new faces by the time the window closes.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8195 on: June 17, 2023, 09:37:41 PM »
Well we were certainly not “bottom of the barrel at the end of the window”were we?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #8196 on: June 19, 2023, 06:13:34 PM »
Darren Moore leaves Sheff Weds  :o

What is going on in the managerial world

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8197 on: June 19, 2023, 06:15:10 PM »

Perhaps we have him lined up as someone is off to Leeds....

The Sheff W fans are not happy.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 06:21:41 PM by skyclad99 »
MAGA!

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8198 on: June 19, 2023, 06:17:32 PM »

WOW!

That is seriously mind blowing.

Full story to emerge but initial reaction is one of absolute amazement.

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8199 on: June 19, 2023, 06:24:02 PM »
I’d love Darren Moore back without Graeme Jones interfering. Jimmy Shan as assistant, like it should have been last time. Tbh, it would be exactly what we need if CC leaves.