Author Topic: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD  (Read 1336364 times)

BB74

• Senior Baggie

Re: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD
« Reply #7200 on: May 18, 2022, 09:41:09 AM »
Forest 1 step from the Premier League and a certain section of snobbish nostalgia fans may be about to get their wish for a “proper” club to get back to the top flight.

Sheff Ute’s failure means there will be 4 sides other sides in the division with parachute payments which could make life difficult.

Just wait until Villa meet Forest in a EPL fixture! It will be a jizz fest.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7201 on: May 18, 2022, 11:56:42 AM »
Just wait until Villa meet Forest in a EPL fixture! It will be a jizz fest.

Mutual masturbation society, a real cumming together of like mindedness. Should Forest get promotion I think I'll avoid Birmingham city centre like the plague when they're at the Vile.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7202 on: May 18, 2022, 06:27:25 PM »
Not sure what's gone on with the English game post pandemic. The scenes at Wembley last summer seem to have been a precursor to a depressing re-emergence of hooliganism.

Derby-Coventry last year, Milwall fans at the Hawthorns, increased complaints about fans at away games this season and then last night the vile scenes at the end kf the Forest vs Sheff Utd game (for those who don't know, a fan assaulted Billy Sharp with a running headbut while Oli McBurnie appeared to stamp on a fan on film).

The FA and the EFL /Prem need to get a grip on it before it spirals.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 08:33:23 AM by Hull Baggie »
Boing Boing

bosh

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #7203 on: May 18, 2022, 07:34:04 PM »
Unless clubs (and national teams) are punished for fans behaviour, nothing will happen. Loss of revenue or points (never going to happen) is the only option they would understand. Slaps on the wrist for clubs and in the courts is no deterient.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7204 on: May 18, 2022, 09:04:43 PM »
Cocaine is playing a large part in away day antics.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #7205 on: May 18, 2022, 10:04:55 PM »
Pitch invasions are bad news. It might be harmless celebration for most but it gives the bad element the perfect opportunity or temptation to cause trouble.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7206 on: May 19, 2022, 11:02:23 PM »
Not sure what's gone on with the English game post pandemic. The scenes at Wembley last summer seem to have been a precursor to a depressing re-emergence of hooliganism.

Derby-Coventry last year, Milwall fans at the Hawthorns, increased complaints about fans at away games this season and then last night the vile scenes at the end kf the Forest vs Sheff Utd game (for those who don't know, a fan assaulted Billy Sharp with a running headbut while Oli McBurnie appeared to stamp on a fan on film).

The FA and the EFL /Prem need to get a grip on it before it spirals.
This season I went cov v Blackburn, it was mayhem outside, add to that the mess that was the pitch invasion at vale tonight.
Now a few things need addressing….1-2-15 idiots, do not represent the whole club and the vast majority shouldn’t get tarred and face concession….so firstly ban for life any act of aggression against players via pitch invasion….then, sack everyone of the stewards, far too often now they fail to do their basic job….and no one says a word, most go just to watch the match free and get £40 for the pleasure, but have no intention of doing what is required.

Also…why the hell are they celebrating winning a semi?
I really hope that Sunderland, Mansfield,Huddersfield prevail.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7207 on: May 20, 2022, 06:49:12 PM »
In terms of pitch invasions, I thought the pitch invasions after the first promotion and great escape were fantastic and they are great memories for me. They were both very good natured generally though, and I don’t think either palace or Pompey players or fans got any abuse. Infact in the Pompey case they were on celebrating too, and a friend of mine swapped his shirt with another fan.

With that said I was a teenager and I don’t think I’d be arsed to go on now. Although I’d not necessarily mind others doing it in the right way, however times seem to have changed, as does the behaviour of fans who now seem to think opposition players and staff are fair game. For that reason I don’t think they have much choice but to do more to stop them. Either by making clubs fund police, or punishing clubs.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 06:50:49 PM by johnny Cash »

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7208 on: May 20, 2022, 08:47:52 PM »
invade the pitch and you dont get to the final, you forfeit it
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7209 on: May 21, 2022, 11:05:31 AM »
invade the pitch and you dont get to the final, you forfeit it
How do you define "invasion" though? Would you ban a club from the final because one idiot runs on the pitch at the end?

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7210 on: May 21, 2022, 06:42:39 PM »
I am a younger fan I was sort of hoping if Darlaston got promoted we would get a Pitch Invasion I like it if you celebrate with the Players and not provoke away fans or players. Darlaston didn't as the Trophy presentation and the fact a Player who died's family were there. But I was disappointed at the actions of many as a kid at college calls all of us Football Fans hooligans I say we aren't because Football isn't full of Hooligans after recent events I questioned it.
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7211 on: May 22, 2022, 05:57:37 PM »
Burnley, Watford and Norwich join us then for next season.

Quite happy with that.

Hopefully Burnley are in as much turmoil as it's reported and they implode.

wbasoprano

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7212 on: May 22, 2022, 06:18:43 PM »
Burnley, Watford and Norwich join us then for next season.

Quite happy with that.

Hopefully Burnley are in as much turmoil as it's reported and they implode.

Probably the best result we could have hoped for. Norwich always seem to go straight back up and Watford won't be far away. Burnley you just don't know... I don't expect Huddersfield or Luton to make top 6 again so this is a massive chance for us to get in the mix if we get our recruitment right.
Allllllll aboard

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7213 on: May 22, 2022, 06:21:41 PM »
Probably the best result we could have hoped for. Norwich always seem to go straight back up and Watford won't be far away. Burnley you just don't know... I don't expect Huddersfield or Luton to make top 6 again so this is a massive chance for us to get in the mix if we get our recruitment right.

Norwich and Watford don't particularly impress me overall. Half of Burnleys best players are off on frees.  If we have a 5 out of 10 transfer window we will be in with a good shout.

When was the last time we had a 5/10 transfer window though?

wbasoprano

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7214 on: May 22, 2022, 06:28:48 PM »

Norwich and Watford don't particularly impress me overall. Half of Burnleys best players are off on frees.  If we have a 5 out of 10 transfer window we will be in with a good shout.

When was the last time we had a 5/10 transfer window though?

Oh I agree about Norwich and Watford, I just think they will up there as they always are in this division.

Hmm 5 out of 10? Summer of 2019 under Bilic? Almost entirely due to Pereira.
Allllllll aboard

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7215 on: May 22, 2022, 06:50:46 PM »
Oh I agree about Norwich and Watford, I just think they will up there as they always are in this division.

Hmm 5 out of 10? Summer of 2019 under Bilic? Almost entirely due to Pereira.

Yes so thats 3 years ago. For me i don't hold out much up, we have the worst senior managers or whatever you want to call them in the league. Every year i hope to be proved wrong but it doesn't happen. Maybe this year will be different.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7216 on: May 22, 2022, 07:13:45 PM »
Couldn’t have picked three better sides to come down in all honesty. Massive summer for us now, we need to capitalise

bosh

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #7217 on: May 22, 2022, 07:34:31 PM »
We finished 10th and we awful for the most part. Next season will not be as bad as this. We just need to be as competitive as others and I got a good feeling.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7218 on: May 23, 2022, 12:49:43 PM »

You may well be right about Huddersfield..... They might be a premier league team next season.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7219 on: May 23, 2022, 09:49:56 PM »
With regard to the likely impact of the relegated teams on next season's Championship

Norwich look reasonably well equipped to bounce back. I don't think there is going to be much dislocation there it is business as usual. No doubt they will sell a few on but they will have a strong squad and I will make them the favourites.

Watford have appointed Rob Edwards. He has rave reviews from Forest Green has a distinct high pressing style which will be interesting to see how well that does when he encounters the low blocks when opposition managers decide that Watford are one of the bigger teams in the Championship and a point is not a bad result. It's Watford God only knows what the squad will look like and how many managers they will get through in the season. However there will be quality there and the wheels haven't dropped off yet.

Burnley, there are issues. They don't have a manager a lot of players out of contract and a leveraged buyout that is about to blow up their face. It is very easy to dismiss them. However they are starting with a clean slate. The financial issues will probably be covered off by players sales and I think they won't be quite the basket cases many assume. They will need to be canny in the market and I would hope we can pick up our free agent targets before they have sorted themselves out because they will be in there and they will still have money.

In short Norwich are going to be competitive the other two there will be question marks over but reports of their imminent demise are premature.   
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7220 on: May 23, 2022, 10:02:04 PM »
With regard to the likely impact of the relegated teams on next season's Championship

Norwich look reasonably well equipped to bounce back. I don't think there is going to be much dislocation there it is business as usual. No doubt they will sell a few on but they will have a strong squad and I will make them the favourites.

Watford have appointed Rob Edwards. He has rave reviews from Forest Green has a distinct high pressing style which will be interesting to see how well that does when he encounters the low blocks when opposition managers decide that Watford are one of the bigger teams in the Championship and a point is not a bad result. It's Watford God only knows what the squad will look like and how many managers they will get through in the season. However there will be quality there and the wheels haven't dropped off yet.

Burnley, there are issues. They don't have a manager a lot of players out of contract and a leveraged buyout that is about to blow up their face. It is very easy to dismiss them. However they are starting with a clean slate. The financial issues will probably be covered off by players sales and I think they won't be quite the basket cases many assume. They will need to be canny in the market and I would hope we can pick up our free agent targets before they have sorted themselves out because they will be in there and they will still have money.

In short Norwich are going to be competitive the other two there will be question marks over but reports of their imminent demise are premature.   

I wouldn’t be completely sure on Norwich the locals are restless they really gave up this season with a wimper and there’s grumbles about the job Smith is doing. The sporting director Webber is bizarrely been given next season off to climb Mount Everest & there has been talk of him finishing his contract with the club. Add to that they have 4-5 on loan who are going back so they need to get a few through the door & won’t be in the best financial position as by Norwich’s standards they spent a fair whack last summer. I still expect them to be strong but I could see them taking a while to get going.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7221 on: May 23, 2022, 10:47:36 PM »
Smith is an ok manager but remember, he did well at the Villa due to having spent hundreds of millions. By the time he was sacked, his budget was something like 5th highest in the league which is telling. He won't have those kinds of resources at Norwich, although they will have one of the best teams in the league.

As for Watford, we'll see. There's no point bringing in a young manager if the environment is stressful and he's not given time. With Burnley, I think they'll finish near the play-offs but if they don't go up, then they'll be in big trouble - perhaps not just yet though.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7222 on: May 24, 2022, 03:10:58 AM »
I wouldn’t be completely sure on Norwich the locals are restless they really gave up this season with a wimper and there’s grumbles about the job Smith is doing. The sporting director Webber is bizarrely been given next season off to climb Mount Everest & there has been talk of him finishing his contract with the club. Add to that they have 4-5 on loan who are going back so they need to get a few through the door & won’t be in the best financial position as by Norwich’s standards they spent a fair whack last summer. I still expect them to be strong but I could see them taking a while to get going.

I hadn't picked up on the Webber story I don't think it is the whole of next season but it is true that the natives are getting restless in Norfolk. While I  see the point he is trying to make he still manages to come across arrogant and entitled which isn't a great look when you presided over 2 pretty dismal campaigns the 2nd of which was after he had learned the lessons from the first.

I still look at the squad and even stripping out the obvious departures it is still too strong not to challenge.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7223 on: May 24, 2022, 09:06:41 AM »
Mailsport are claiming that Burnley will use all this season's parachute payment to reduce that loan and interest

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties