Author Topic: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD  (Read 1336534 times)

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

Re: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD
« Reply #3600 on: October 03, 2019, 11:44:39 PM »
If the allegations are true that Leeds actually had written racist instructions passed around to target Leko and try and get him sent off, they should be seriously punished for it.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3601 on: October 04, 2019, 09:37:00 AM »
If the allegations are true that Leeds actually had written racist instructions passed around to target Leko and try and get him sent off, they should be seriously punished for it.

what allegations? where did you get this from?
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3602 on: October 04, 2019, 06:33:23 PM »
There are non

There was a piece of paper with instructions on passed from the bench....there is no proof that this would have had racist tones on it...would suggest Leeds players would generally go mad .
There is also the allegation ref the keeper..and people have put 2&2 and ended with 675
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3603 on: October 04, 2019, 07:35:50 PM »
allegations came from a writer on a Charlton site (i think Vital Sports, not sure) and has been deleted.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3604 on: October 04, 2019, 07:42:09 PM »
Neil Harris has left Millwall... :-\

Bit of a surprise  :o

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/49923743

Only lost 3 league games and have beaten Wednesday and PNE (plus came from behind to win in the EFL cup... >:()

Perhaps he has been offered the Stoke gig...... :D
MAGA!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3605 on: October 13, 2019, 01:21:37 PM »
Mid way through an International Break with 1/4 of the season gone  seems a good point to review my thoughts from the outset of the season

http://westbrom.com/forum/index.php?topic=7790.msg673895#msg673895

Generally if a team is within a place or two of where I would have put them I am giving myself a pat on the back. Some I have got spectacularly wrong

Teams performing within expected range

WBA, Leeds, Fulham, Bristol City, Barnsley, Wigan, Reading, Cardiff, Blackburn, Hull, Birmingham and Luton

Feel these I got broadly right while Fulham are a little off the initial pace the but  top of the table is so closely bunched my view remains that the automatics are broadly a 3 horse race between Leeds, WBA and Fulham. Other clubs will interfere with it from time to time but across the season these are the 3 teams to beat.

Wigan and Barnsley were predicted to struggle and they are. Hull Birmingham and Blackburn are looking like the typical mid-table sides capable of getting the odd eye catching result but not really capable of stringing enough consistent performances to break the out of mid table.

Reading had a good window flattered to deceive with a good win against Cardiff but have looked mediocre otherwise. I did not think Cardiff would challenge they are not.

Finally from this group Luton maybe are doing a little better than expected but aren't looking all that good.

Teams above expected range

Charlton, Preston, Forest, Swansea, QPR, Sheffield Wednesday, and Millwall.

Charlton are way ahead of expectations they endured a difficult summer a lot of their squad wasn't assembled to the last minute yet Lee Bowyer has them in the top half of the division just a couple of points off the play-offs. Even if they regress but finish comfortably outside the relegation zone then this is a heroic achievement

Preston are way ahead of the mid-table spot that I had them pencilled in for as are QPR who looked like a team that might struggle.

Swansea are less of a surprise but what is a surprise is that Borja Baston was a) still at the club and b) quite a good footballer, whether his goals are enough to keep them in a play-off spot remains to be seen.

I was quite negative about Sheffield Wednesday and they are doing a fair bit better than I thought they would this with a manager I don't like nor rate, fair enough can't get everything right. 

Forest always seem to have potential, their squad is massive too many players stranded by their ever revolving door of managers all of whom have bought in players who are promptly discarded by their successor. To get this team sorted out and not only into the top 6 but into a promotion spot at this stage is an excellent job by Sabri Lamouchi.

Finally Millwall are not good but I had them firmly in the bottom 6 their win against Leeds elevates them out of immediate danger so they are a little above where I would have placed them. 

Teams Underperforming

Brentford, Boro, Stoke Huddersfield, and Derby.

At least I didn't tip Stoke to be among the front runners and it is fair to say they have not been playing as badly as their results would imply but there is no way they should be in the bottom half of the table let alone in a relegation spot.

I got Huddersfield wrong I was a lot more bullish about their prospects than I was about Cardiff's for instance. There are good players at the club but I under estimated how deeply the rot had set in. Showing some signs of life under the Cowley brothers so they may yet rescue their season.

I thought both Brentford and Derby would be challenging. Both are slightly misfiring although ironically after the drink drive debacle Derby are starting to show some form. Brentford on the other hand seem to have lost their way a bit with a greater emphasis on defence (which was their problem last year) but the goals have dried up.

To some degree I can see all of the above improving, yet I cannot see that from Boro who have been playing poorly and getting the results they deserve. This was always going to be a transitional season but they should not be hovering just above the relegation zone.

The Championship is an unpredictable beast and the fact that only 2 teams have made it through the 1st quarter running at the magic two points a game level shows just how competitive it is. Nobody can take anything for granted and no doubt when I take stock of this at Christmas things will have been stood on their head
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

the other AJ

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3606 on: October 20, 2019, 08:50:23 AM »
Not sure what’s gone on at Elland Road with Blues fans at full time yesterday. I’ve watched some Leeds guys You Tube highlights of the game and there seems to be no aggro until right at the end. Stewards and police heavy handedness? Or Blues’s darker element travelling for trouble? Either way, 11 arrests and allegedly a female steward knocked out isn’t good. With the racism debate ongoing and also a fellow Baggie passing in mysterious circumstances in Bulgaria, it’s not been a great week off the pitch.
Baggie Down Under 🙃

Andio

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3607 on: October 20, 2019, 03:57:54 PM »
Wigan have beaten Forest, that’ll do me  8)

Adamstv

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3608 on: October 20, 2019, 03:58:44 PM »
Well the championship never fails to surprise - Wigan beating Forest today 1-0 . Thought game overall was quite poor and Wigan although not great probably just deserved a win. Great result for us.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3609 on: October 20, 2019, 09:41:34 PM »
Just looking at who could be our main promotion rivals this season (yep, I've got us down as being up there too ).
I think Leeds and Fulham are the main ones. But I can see Forest, Swansea, Sheff Wed., Bristol City, QPR and MBoro being up there. Give or take one or two of those.

From my early season prediction for our main promotion rivals, I would still stick with 6 out of the 8 of the above (Leeds, Fulham, Forest, Swansea, Bristol City and QPR).
It's vital though that we claim one of the 2 top spots, as once you're in the Play-Offs, it's a lottery. Depends on form on the day. 
Of the above, I suppose Leeds have got to be our strongest rival. Bisela is obviously a decent coach who has them very thoroughly and professionally organised. Still, our coach isn't bad either..... ;)
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3610 on: October 20, 2019, 10:49:11 PM »
From my early season prediction for our main promotion rivals, I would still stick with 6 out of the 8 of the above (Leeds, Fulham, Forest, Swansea, Bristol City and QPR).
It's vital though that we claim one of the 2 top spots, as once you're in the Play-Offs, it's a lottery. Depends on form on the day. 
Of the above, I suppose Leeds have got to be our strongest rival. Bisela is obviously a decent coach who has them very thoroughly and professionally organised. Still, our coach isn't bad either..... ;)

Leeds seem to really struggle scoring goals, I expected them to be better than they are currently showing.
Baggie in Southampton

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3611 on: October 21, 2019, 08:53:02 AM »
Leeds look very good until the final third. Bodes well for us for the remainder of the season that they look toothless, Fulham are suffering with our issue from last season in having someone in charge who is not a manager, Huddersfield and Cardiff have come down and look poor and Stoke had an awful start and are some way behind us already.

As the weeks roll by I become more and more confident about our chances of winning the league.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3612 on: October 21, 2019, 09:19:19 AM »
Millwall are in advanced talks with Gary Rowett which could see the former Birmingham City, Derby County and Stoke City boss become their new manager.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3613 on: October 21, 2019, 09:26:43 AM »
Millwall are in advanced talks with Gary Rowett which could see the former Birmingham City, Derby County and Stoke City boss become their new manager.

That does seem like a perfect fit. Backs to the wall manager taking over a dogged team devoid of quality.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3614 on: October 21, 2019, 11:24:30 AM »
That does seem like a perfect fit. Backs to the wall manager taking over a dogged team devoid of quality.

Sounds thrilling when you say it like that !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3615 on: October 21, 2019, 12:05:26 PM »
Sounds thrilling when you say it like that !

Horses for courses I guess. Look at us with Megson all those years back

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3616 on: October 23, 2019, 10:04:16 PM »
Forest drop all points at home to Hull. Charlton beaten at Bristol City but I see Bristol as the greater threat for promotion. Fulham scrape past Luton. 
Still top of the league as things stand though.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Adamstv

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3617 on: October 23, 2019, 10:04:40 PM »
Well a night of mixed results again , Forest losing at home to hull being a shock . Instead of going 2nd with a win they drop to 8th , crazy league

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3618 on: October 23, 2019, 10:13:27 PM »
Brizzle the winners of this midweek round

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3619 on: October 23, 2019, 11:26:24 PM »
Went to Fulham vs Luton

Enjoyed watching Graham jones lose
Mcmanaman, Stefan johansen, Martin crane and Izzy brown all on show

One of the funniest things I’ve seen in football, Luton fans giving some hand signals to a section of the Fulham fans, Fulham fan gets up.....walks across towards them .....and shouts “sit down”
Modern hooligans eh ?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3620 on: October 24, 2019, 12:37:36 AM »
Went to Fulham vs Luton

Enjoyed watching Graham jones lose
Mcmanaman, Stefan johansen, Martin crane and Izzy brown all on show

One of the funniest things I’ve seen in football, Luton fans giving some hand signals to a section of the Fulham fans, Fulham fan gets up.....walks across towards them .....and shouts “sit down”
Modern hooligans eh ?

Maybe its a class thing. Fulham fans had a reputation as being a lot of chaps working in the Stock Exchange in the City.  Don't know if its still true.  Certainly, if you wanted to buy a flat anywhere in the Fulham area, you'd need a healthy bank balance.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3621 on: October 24, 2019, 01:09:56 PM »
Maybe its a class thing. Fulham fans had a reputation as being a lot of chaps working in the Stock Exchange in the City.  Don't know if its still true.  Certainly, if you wanted to buy a flat anywhere in the Fulham area, you'd need a healthy bank balance.

Stumbled across this last night, proper tickled me  ;D .

https://twitter.com/FootballFanCast/status/1187105478372974594
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3622 on: October 24, 2019, 01:26:31 PM »

Rounds off the main course, Cottage Pie, quite nicely on match day  ;D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3623 on: October 24, 2019, 03:16:52 PM »

Ha, ha. Maybe some of the lads in the Smethwick might want to get thinking about some appropriate chants for the visit of Fulham!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3624 on: October 24, 2019, 03:45:53 PM »
These last two rounds have been typical Championship some of the better teams have thrown in shocking performances. Only Brentford have picked up maximum points and only Forest have lost both games. Hence why everything is so tight at the top and nobody has been cut adrift at the bottom.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.