Author Topic: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD  (Read 1336316 times)

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD
« Reply #675 on: May 27, 2013, 06:08:01 PM »
Congratulations to Crystal Palace. Great to see Super Kev score the penalty and Holloway tactically outclassed Zola.
In what way? Both teams were as poor as each other for a large stretch of the game. The only real positives I saw in that CP side were Zaha, and Delaney, one of which isn't their player any more. Watford never turned up, simple as. An on form Watford this season could've destroyed the championship, but they've been way to inconsistent.

Still nice for SKP and Palace (although it is ANOTHER London club in the PL), be interesting to see how Holloway does this time round, if he falls into the same pitfalls as before or the ones QPR fell into last year with the money they'll receive... 'cause THAT team is not good enough for the PL over a whole season.

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #676 on: May 27, 2013, 06:36:01 PM »
In what way? Both teams were as poor as each other for a large stretch of the game. The only real positives I saw in that CP side were Zaha, and Delaney, one of which isn't their player any more. Watford never turned up, simple as. An on form Watford this season could've destroyed the championship, but they've been way to inconsistent.

Still nice for SKP and Palace (although it is ANOTHER London club in the PL), be interesting to see how Holloway does this time round, if he falls into the same pitfalls as before or the ones QPR fell into last year with the money they'll receive... 'cause THAT team is not good enough for the PL over a whole season.

Palace didn't let Watford turn up, they stifled their attack and therefore Watford resorted to hoofing the ball which is unlike them this season. Holloway had a game plan and outwitted Zola. Glad to see such a great character in the Premier League again.
the regime don't like it man

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #677 on: May 27, 2013, 06:50:47 PM »
Palace didn't let Watford turn up, they stifled their attack and therefore Watford resorted to hoofing the ball which is unlike them this season. Holloway had a game plan and outwitted Zola. Glad to see such a great character in the Premier League again.
You lost me there...

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #678 on: May 27, 2013, 07:14:55 PM »
Poor manager who is still living off his 3 month purple patch with Blackpool.
Taken two clubs into the premiership unlike our manager who inherited a decent team and hasn't really kicked on.

botters

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #679 on: May 27, 2013, 07:19:55 PM »
Taken two clubs into the premiership unlike our manager who inherited a decent team and hasn't really kicked on.
Hasn't kicked on 8th in the league and record number of points gained. Any of the promoted teams would give everything for a season like that!

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #680 on: May 27, 2013, 07:23:03 PM »

What do you want from Steve Clarke?

He's given us our greatest Premier League season ever. That's good progress.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

reiss

« Reply #681 on: May 27, 2013, 07:34:48 PM »

Hasn't Kicked on, blimey some of our fans expectations have gone high.

We finshed 8th on our best ever points tally and we have one of the lowest budgets in the league, Clarke has done very good so far. What mored do you expect really?

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #682 on: May 27, 2013, 07:52:50 PM »

exactly! should be sacked then hung ,drawn and quatered. you need to take a look at the final league table ???

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #683 on: May 27, 2013, 08:14:50 PM »
YOU WHAT!!!!!! Talk sense mate.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #684 on: May 27, 2013, 09:17:58 PM »
I'll repeat what everyone else has said, what do you want when you say "kicked on"? If he's inherited a team surely that team would have done as good if not worse than under their creator's (Hodgson's) management, yet have done better with a different style of play that Hodgson hated using.

Sounds like a little over expectation TBH.

On the other hand, Holloway may have gotten into the PL twice, but so have Steve Bruce, Neil Warnock and Mick Mccarthy. Hardly the greatest Managers ever, and have all struggled to cut it in the PL bar Bruce to a degree. Holloway has failed once already, will he do it again? That is the question. For as much as I hate him, he's not a bad manager. Not great, but not bad either.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #685 on: May 27, 2013, 11:02:47 PM »
You can't really fault Holloway for failing to keep Blackpool in the PL. It was a miracle he got them there in the first place and he almost kept them there against the odds.

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #686 on: May 28, 2013, 01:17:09 PM »
You can't really fault Holloway for failing to keep Blackpool in the PL. It was a miracle he got them there in the first place and he almost kept them there against the odds.

Agreed. Be very interesting to see how he does with Palace. Can't wait for his interviews too, the game needs characters like Holloway and Di Canio.

socalbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #687 on: May 29, 2013, 10:05:42 PM »
I was pulling for Watford for one solitary reason and that is because I can't stand Halloway and his fat mouth. He may be a "descent" manager but every time he opens his mouth I want to turn the channel, drives me nuts. I don't think the league "needs" any specific type manager to draw interest via controversy or post match ramblings. No doubt comments made by managers like DiCannio, Halloway or SAF will start talking points amongst the journalists and pundits but for me the product on the pitch is what matters not what big ego headline hunting managers say or do!

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #688 on: June 06, 2013, 09:41:41 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22800755

The foreign loan loop which Watford exploited looks like it's going to be closed. Good news.

Be interesting to see what Watford do. Considering the majority of the players were loaned from Udinese, won't the Pozzo family just switch the registrations of the player to the other club? This is going to be a tricky saga and further highlights the problems of allowing an individual/family to own two football clubs.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #689 on: June 24, 2013, 10:18:33 AM »
I'm amazed that Brighton have sacked Poyet. Gus Poyet was building something really good at Brighton and I fancy them to make a big push at making the Premiership for this forthcoming season. I think Di Matteo would be a good replacement for Poyet
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #690 on: July 30, 2013, 05:50:03 PM »
As ever I expect the Championship to be very close again this season, with a lot of teams been predicted to go up or to make the top six. The teams that I think will do this season are QPR, they will lose a lot of this aging overrated players but they will have plenty to spend. Reading are another club who I think under Adkins will be their or their abouts. Interesting to see how Brian McDermott gets on at Leeds this season. Wigan do have some good players the likes of Holt, Carson is a decent enough keeper.  Bolton were on a very good run towards the end of last season they are another team that I think can be up there.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #691 on: July 30, 2013, 06:08:12 PM »
Redknapp will ditch QPR, did the same to Southampton when they were in the Championship.
1st Wigan
2nd Bolton
Not sure who the 3rd team will be, QPR will finish just outside the play offs and Reading will finish around 4th.
Think Birmingham will be relegated along with Yeovil and Barnsley. Yeovil in the Championship fair play lol ;D
BOING BOING

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #692 on: July 30, 2013, 06:25:52 PM »
1st Wigan
2nd Leeds
Play Offs Yeovil

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #693 on: July 30, 2013, 07:04:46 PM »
Come on the glovers
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #694 on: July 31, 2013, 08:30:09 AM »
I dont see Middlesbrough doing much this season dont think they have brought in many players this season been very quiet and there form in the second half of last season was relegation form. Anyone think Ipswich under Mick McCarthy could do something this season? Ipswich have brought in some decent players Chopra will score goals and they had quite a decent end to last season.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

saml30

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #695 on: July 31, 2013, 04:12:29 PM »
I dont see Middlesbrough doing much this season dont think they have brought in many players this season been very quiet and there form in the second half of last season was relegation form. Anyone think Ipswich under Mick McCarthy could do something this season? Ipswich have brought in some decent players Chopra will score goals and they had quite a decent end to last season.

Don't know if this is true anymore, seems to have struggled since leaving Cardiff, plus he has signed for Blackpol I think, a team I am predicting will do nothing, Paul Ince IMO is a shocking manager
Blue and White Barmy Army !!!

Wbamitch

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #696 on: August 01, 2013, 06:58:05 PM »
I can't call this one, just doing my betting forms for the 4 English Leagues, this is the one I can't really decide.

Wigan, QPR, Watford and Bolton are all the main contenders.

Might have a little look on here tomorrow before I go to the bookies just to see what everybody is thinking.

devonbaggiecjaj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #697 on: August 02, 2013, 09:38:02 AM »
I can't call this one, just doing my betting forms for the 4 English Leagues, this is the one I can't really decide.

Wigan, QPR, Watford and Bolton are all the main contenders.

Might have a little look on here tomorrow before I go to the bookies just to see what everybody is thinking.

Totally agree cannot see past Wigan winning the Championship, they look really strong as they have kept most of the squad from last year. Hard to believe no-one has been in for Maloney nor McManaman

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #698 on: August 02, 2013, 11:25:50 AM »
I went for Wigan to win the league at 12s. They've strengthened well and kept many of their core players - Maloney, McMannaman and the two Mc's in midfield. What I didn't realise when I placed my bet was that they were also competing in Europe this season!

The only downside I see to Wigan is Owen Coyle.

tommi

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #699 on: August 02, 2013, 12:49:29 PM »
I went for Wigan to win the league at 12s. They've strengthened well and kept many of their core players - Maloney, McMannaman and the two Mc's in midfield. What I didn't realise when I placed my bet was that they were also competing in Europe this season!

The only downside I see to Wigan is Owen Coyle.

Im not sure how many Holt & MAF will get for them this season.... they are very short up front.
West Bromwich Albion F.C. - Founded 1879