Author Topic: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD  (Read 1347448 times)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Re: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD
« Reply #5800 on: December 30, 2020, 07:40:29 PM »
Brentford join Norwich in the top 2, which feels like a prediction many could have made pre season.

From a "we're going to be relegated" perspective  the championship table could not be better. The sides who have a realistic chance of causing us problems next season all sit in the top 5 places. If 3 of those go up this year it gives us a slightly easier championship next season (dependant on Derby's money after the takeover of course).
Boing Boing

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5801 on: January 02, 2021, 04:36:21 PM »
Lucas Juao looks some player at the minute. 16 goals for a bang average Reading.
Probably sounds a bit foreign for Dowling though  :D

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5802 on: January 02, 2021, 05:18:52 PM »
Bradley Dack scored a nice goal today. His 3rd 25 minute runout since his injury a year ago. Might still have it.

Edit - just saw hes extended his contract as was due to expire June 2021. Nevermind.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5803 on: January 15, 2021, 01:41:20 PM »
John Percy Tweeted

Wayne Rooney has been appointed as the permanent manager of #dcfc. With 3 wins and 4 draws from 9 games, undoubtedly deserved. Rooney has also brought his playing career to an end. Not been bad, has it?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5804 on: January 15, 2021, 02:01:28 PM »
Ironic really, as Rooney's appointment feels a step closer to the Rooney rule.

That's 4 of the "Golden Generation" who have landed quite plush jobs for their first managerial gig (5 if you count Phil Neville as part of the group) - all white. Meanwhile, Rio Ferdinand stays in punditry, Ashley Cole is coaching within Chelsea's academy, Ledley King is making do with assistant coaching roles and Sol Campbell bounced around the lower leagues.

I've made a lot of excuses and don't like the Rooney rule as it doesnt tackle some wider issues in English football, but Wayne Rooney getting the derby job makes it harder to argue against.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 02:28:41 PM by Baggies »
Boing Boing

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5805 on: January 15, 2021, 03:11:25 PM »

That's 4 of the "Golden Generation" who have landed quite plush jobs for their first managerial gig (5 if you count Phil Neville as part of the group) - all white. Meanwhile, Rio Ferdinand stays in punditry, Ashley Cole is coaching within Chelsea's academy, Ledley King is making do with assistant coaching roles and Sol Campbell bounced around the lower leagues.

I've made a lot of excuses and don't like the Rooney rule as it doesnt tackle some wider issues in English football, but Wayne Rooney getting the derby job makes it harder to argue against.

Does Rio Ferdinand want to be a manager? From what I can see, I think he likes being a pundit, and being able to spend time with his kids (especially since they lost their mom).

Does Ashley Cole want to be a manager? He seems a bit too selfish from what I've seen, and he might only be at Chelsea as the result of a favour (I could be wrong, obviously).

Ledley King is currently one of Jose Mourinho's assistants at Spurs - he's probably learning more from that than being manager somewhere else, and it wouldn't be a surprise to see him promoted from that role when Mourinho leaves imo.

Sol Campbell has managed Macclesfield (successfully) and Southend (unsuccessfully). He may not be 100% focussed on a managerial career, because he has in the past become involved in politics. Again, you have to question what he truly wants from life.

I will always support equality of opportunity, but I always think back to what Titus Bramble said when he and Kieron Dyer were interviewed about coaching in Ipswich Town's academy; not as many black footballers want to be coaches, managers, etc. https://www.themag.co.uk/2014/11/kieron-dyer-titus-bramble-speak-rooney-rule/

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5806 on: January 16, 2021, 12:46:40 AM »
We can find reasons in isolation and analyse different individuals (I have myself in opposition to the Rooney rule), but as a collective the white stars of the “golden generation” do seem to be getting more or better opportunities than their black “golden generation” counter parts.

Looking at the individuals discussed, Rio may well be happy to stay down the punditry career path (sensible if you ask me), but the others all appear to want coaching careers. Ashley Cole followed Lampard to Derby for the same reason Rooney went there - on the promise of a part time coaching role as part of Lampard’s team. He then subsequently followed Lampard to Chelsea and now works in their academy. He clearly does want to get into football coaching and management - it’s why he has taken the job and his qualifications. Sol Campbell has spoken many times about wanting managerial jobs and not being given opportunities and Ledley King retired 8 years ago and yet only a matter of months ago finally got a coaching job at Spurs. The timing of the King appointment was interesting, with it coming not long after the ramifications of the BLM protests that sparked probing questions of all areas of society including equal opportunities within football. Did Spurs appoint him following them asking questions of themselves? If so, how long had King been waiting and hoping for that opportunity?

The Bramble and Dyer examples are also interesting. I understand and agree with their views that they would want jobs on merit and they can only speak from experience about their former colleagues (who may have never considered the option due to a lack of role models maybe?). Both Bramble and Dyer however wanted to go into coaching, yet looking at their careers 6 years after those comments, how have both got on? Bramble is currently coaching an academy in Ghana while Dyer decided in the summer of 2019 to leave Ipswich after 5 years of working in their academy to look at getting a head coach role elsewhere. 13 months later, again post the spotlight of BLM, Ipswich decide to rehire Dyer as their U23 team coach (he had failed to get a managers job in the intervening 13 months). Funnily enough, Dyer’s views have changed somewhat in the last 6 years as an interview with talk sport last summer saw him name a number of former team mates (including Joey Barton and Scott Parker) who had managed to get decent managerial jobs fairly easily after retirement. I suppose at the time of making the original comments 6 years ago, most of his playing colleagues hadn’t yet walked into good roles, it’s only now he has seen that play out.

I don’t really think top players should just walk into good jobs based on their playing careers. Being the best welder around doesn’t mean you will be a good factory foreman - it doesn’t even mean you will be the best welding teacher. When however the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, the Neville brothers and now Rooney can all get significant managerial roles so soon after retirement without earning many stripes, it does make the Rooney rule feel inevitable as this will be yet another example. Personally, I still stand by the fact that I think there is a wider issue with coaching pathways as the English game has up to this point been very close minded and does not give opportunities to new thinkers and previously didn’t really seem to give many English coaches a chance in the top divisions full stop (you seemed to need help from a former playing colleague mate to get into a coaching team). I always argued bringing in the Rooney rule in isolation would almost be a healing plaster, when the whole system needed full surgery. At some point though, with every Lampard, Gerrard, Gary and Phil Neville, every Wayne Rooney, Scott Parker and Joey Barton, the game will eventually have to bow to the pressure.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 12:53:07 AM by Baggies »
Boing Boing

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5807 on: January 16, 2021, 08:54:26 AM »

The bloke at Doncaster seems to be doing ok?
The bloke at Rangers seems to be doing ok?
It should always be the right person at the time of appointment regardless of skin colour and engineering numbers imo , people like Rooney will always get a bit more opportunity because of their profile and therefore marketability....but surely as the next generation of more diverse footballers close their playing career , the number of those with ethnic backgrounds will increase naturally?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 08:58:19 AM by zippyandbungle »
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5808 on: January 21, 2021, 07:27:37 PM »
Neil Harris: Cardiff City sack manager after six straight defeats

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55484329
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5809 on: January 22, 2021, 11:42:21 AM »
Sparked by Harpers Loan...

Blues have a bizare squad at the minute that looks like something assembled based on Football Manager 2018. They've are full of former highly rated young talent that is not delivering.

A friend of mine who is generally pretty level headed was raving about Dan Crowley when he signed. Talking about how far ahead he looked technically to other championship players. Now he is on loan in league one.

Sunjic, started well at Blues, highly rated and looked a good combative player destined for higher, now seems to be struggling.

Leko, once one of the jewels in the England Age Group Side's. Hardly setting the world alight, would be an understatement. 

Alen Halilovic - Once heir apparent to Messi and the next global superstar (supposed looks accomplished in the first few appearances of his 6 month deal) but he wasnt supposed to sign for Blue.

Now they've got Raheem Harper who at the moment also looks like he could fail to deliver on early promise too.

The fans must pull their hair out at what some of those players look capable of one minute to the next.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 01:52:16 PM by johnny Cash »

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5810 on: January 22, 2021, 02:27:20 PM »
On the subject of Dan Crowley, I’d be fascinated to see the success rate for highly rated academy players who move between Cat A academies between the ages of 14-18. There will be successes, like Sterling and now potentially Harvey Elliott, but Dan Crowley, Jerome Sinclair, Yan Dhanda, Izzy Brown, Matt Smith and potentially now Morgan Rodgers all examples from the region of players who seem to stall after that big move. I wonder if they had been better off staying put for a few more years rather than chasing the more lucrative short term option.

I get that there is no guarantee if you stay put that you will make it and the money on offer is often hard to turn down, but I know from a family friend of the Bellinghams that Jude Bellingham had offers from Arsenal at 15/16 and decided to stay at Blues and now he is a starting midfielder for Dortmund. Patience sometimes is the best route.
Boing Boing

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5811 on: January 22, 2021, 09:08:20 PM »
DEAL DONE: Cardiff City have announced Mick McCarthy as their new manager. (Source: @CardiffCityFC)
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5812 on: January 22, 2021, 11:48:50 PM »
Troy Deeney gets MoTM tonight for Watford. I thought he might be somebody we revisit this January however he seems key at Watford again now.
Boing Boing

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #5813 on: January 23, 2021, 09:22:26 AM »
DEAL DONE: Cardiff City have announced Mick McCarthy as their new manager. (Source: @CardiffCityFC)

Terry Connor as his assistant.

The old band are back together
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5814 on: January 23, 2021, 10:02:49 AM »
Terry Connor as his assistant.......

........ clipboard at the ready  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5815 on: January 23, 2021, 11:54:19 AM »
Terry Connor as his assistant.

The old band are back together
Joined at the hip those two. Really nice guys. I met them a few years back when they were at the Dings. I was walking the dog alongside the canal near the Navigation Inn (Kingswinford area), wearing my Albion shirt , and they were cycling and had stopped for a rest. Mick started up a conversation straight away by asking me about aspirations for the new season. We chatted for about 15 minutes or so.
The funny thing was that there was a bunch of 5 or 6 Dings in their Dirty yellow shirts sat at a table outside the pub on the opposite towpath trying to wind me up shouting for me to pee off etc, who hadn't got a clue that I was talking to their manager. Thick *****

« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 12:39:32 PM by LiamTheBaggie »
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5816 on: January 23, 2021, 12:08:30 PM »
Mick McCarthy just feels like a Cardiff manager. I had to check he hadn’t already managed there!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5817 on: January 26, 2021, 07:50:44 PM »
Wilshere has scored for Bournemouth. Far better player than Sawyers.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5818 on: January 26, 2021, 07:51:54 PM »
Wilshere has scored for Bournemouth. Far better player than Sawyers.

I hadn't realised he'd signed for them. We should have been in for him although doubt very much he'd have come here.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5819 on: January 26, 2021, 08:01:01 PM »
I believe he came out and said won't join any team in a relegation battle anyway.

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5820 on: February 01, 2021, 12:28:15 PM »
Winston Reid loaned to Brentford. Could have done a job?

Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5821 on: February 01, 2021, 01:45:13 PM »
Winston Reid loaned to Brentford. Could have done a job?

Not sure, he only played 13 games last season (11 in MLS and 1 in PL2) and a total of 1009 minutes.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #5822 on: February 01, 2021, 09:18:07 PM »
Charlie Austin scored again for QPR

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5823 on: February 01, 2021, 09:24:03 PM »
Charlie Austin scored again for QPR

2 goals in 4 games I believe

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5824 on: February 03, 2021, 09:36:44 AM »
Bournemouth sacked the manager, currently in 6th.

Think Paul Cook will take that role.

Lampard being linked too but can’t see him taking that.