Author Topic: 13 Apr 2019 Albion 4 Preston 1  (Read 29596 times)

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #175 on: April 14, 2019, 12:14:56 PM »
Had a lousy night last night so couldn't post until now.

I thought it was a bit of an unusual game. Preston offered no real threat and while we ended up attacking well, we seemed to take a while getting going.

SJ didn't really have a lot to do.

Defensively I thought we looked pretty solid, Bartley made a few good intervening headers, Holgate was quality and it's good to see Gibbs back.

Midfield was likewise pretty solid. Johansen was my man of the match as he chased down the opposition even at 4-0. That's what we've needed all season, imagine if we'd done that from the Bolton game!

Gayle and Jrod were superb. Tracked back to help out and got the goals at the other end. Clinical finishing at its finest.

The only down sides for me was switching off at the end so our clean sheet went and Hegazi going off. Tosin played better yesterday, but he's still nowhere near good enough, the lad can't pass to his own team mates.

With regards the atmosphere, I have to admit that I felt a tad disappointed. I wouldn't say it's toxic, as has been said in other posts not too long ago, but it was just subdued. Whether it's the uncertainty of the manager position, the frustration of our tactics of late or what I don't know. The ground used to have a good atmosphere, but the past few seasons it has been in decline.

Fair play to the Preston fans who all stayed to the end and cheered their consolation goal as though it was the winner.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #176 on: April 14, 2019, 12:24:58 PM »
I thought Preston were one of the worst teams i've seen at The Hawthorns this season, offered little going forward, midfield non existent, even QPR gave us a bit of a game in the first half and ended up losing 7-1.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #177 on: April 14, 2019, 12:28:32 PM »
The only way I can describe yesterday was "weird"

Not once leading up to the game did I think we would be in trouble,the whole noise about A.N taking over was in itself strange ,if he comes and we go up........or put it another way how many prem teams would even be looking at him?

Anyway, in the warm up Sam Johnstone looked woeful, I'm sorry it's not scapegoating he is without doubt the worst keeper I have seen up here

Defence I thought looked ok Bartley if anything was for me the best of them

We have the 2 best wing backs in the league, we played them as wing backs and.....
However, I am concerned that whilst Gibbs does go up and down the flank...he won't take a man on , could/should we try Phillips there ?.....Townsend made one serious rick when not being ready to receive the ball...but then rectified

Midfield...johansen stood out a mile, awesome energy , exactly what we have been needing, Livermore did a good job and if you watch him whenever any of our players gets a kick etc....he makes sure he gets close and has a word with whoever...some may say hothead, I say great team protection.
I also want to mention the "wand" the two assists were quite simply fantastic, credit where it's due, but we have had to wait a long time for a brunt contribution from CM so I ain't blowing up balloons

Up top , Gayle was the Gayle that we should have had up front all season, by definition he helps jay rod become a better player , jay rod isn't awful...but we can and should improve on him
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #178 on: April 14, 2019, 08:59:23 PM »
That Pass Though
Thought it was brilliant at the game but looks better and better the more I watch it back - great moment and anticipation by the excellent Gayle as well.

Preston enjoyed their big day out and made great noise up until we scored then they quickly lost interest as the goals went and loads seemed to disappear well before and well after half time.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 09:43:53 PM by Dexy »
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #179 on: April 14, 2019, 09:11:41 PM »
Both Gayle and Rodriguez played well and I think they benefited greatly from having Johansen providing that missing link between midfield and the front. Our neglect in making sure we have that type of player available i.e. it's Morrison or nobody, has made us unbalanced a lot of the the time.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Andio

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #180 on: April 14, 2019, 10:02:37 PM »
That Pass Though
Thought it was brilliant at the game but looks better and better the more I watch it back - great moment and anticipation by the excellent Gayle as well.

It was more about the anticipation of Brunt to be fair. From the Smethwick viewpoint this is..... When Brunt picked up the ball I had a quick look in the box to see if anything was on. It wasn't, but then I watched Gayle spin his man, as soon as he did Brunt put the ball exactly where Gayle was running too. It was certainly a sublime finish to top it all off as well.

baggieboyfred

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #181 on: April 16, 2019, 11:59:30 AM »
a great performance Dr Jekyll turned up this week, hope he does against Hull , surprised how easy Preston made it for us  glad AN signed a new contract with them hopefully that will knock his name off the new managers list.
Its looking more and more like an Albion Villa semi final think I would prefer Bristol City over 2 legs I thought dispite Dwights hat trick Johansson was mom he seemed to be everywhere, hope everyone stays fit for the run in if they do I dare to dream