Author Topic: Great Player = Good Manager?  (Read 2543 times)

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Great Player = Good Manager?
« on: February 10, 2019, 04:05:21 PM »
Paul Scholes is set to be unveiled as the Oldham Athletic manager at a press conference on Monday at 14:00 GMT.

Always, always enjoyed watching him play, except against us of course. He comes across as a grounded type of bloke with no airs and graces and says it as it is. I hope he turns out to be as good a Manager / Head Coach as he was player.

Having seen Thierry Henry fail miserably at his first attempt at management and Gerrard and Lampard getting off to solid starts in theirs, it is still a difficult transition to make. 
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Great Player = Good Manager?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 06:37:35 PM »
The main strength a coach needs is the ability to communicate. A lot of players may have amazing skills with their feet but if they can't bring out those skills in others then they will fail.

Yes, a good understanding of the game is important but again, fail to get the vital information over to the players and it means nothing.

It's interesting that Mourinho, Wenger and even Fergie to an extent, didn't play a great deal or win trophies during playing days. Mourinho didn't even play.

You only have to listen to some players interviews to see they can't string a sentence together so they've got no chance at coaching.

Scholes might be ok, he seemed to be able to communicate on the pitch.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 06:53:17 PM »
A good manager has the ability to take a group of players and make them better than they were. And, yes, good communication skills are vital.
Interesting that top players as Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton tried and failed hopelessly as managers. And Bryan Robson never really cut it as a manager or he'd still be in a job. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 07:16:29 PM »
Must admit I always liked old spotty. Best of luck to him.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 04:35:06 PM »
Confirmed

"Paul Scholes appointed as new Oldham Athletic manager"

Very best of luck Paul!

Source: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/02/11/paul-scholes-appointed-new-oldham-athletic-manager/
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 04:52:30 PM »
The 31 managers who played at Manchester United under Sir Alex Ferguson

Some great players, but who would you consider to be a good manager from that 31? For me, being fussy, I'd go for Blanc, Strachan, Bruce

Source: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/11077865/the-31-managers-who-played-at-manchester-united-under-sir-alex-ferguson
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 05:04:01 PM »
I don’t know how this is allowed considering he owns 10% of Salford.

It may seem a modest percentage but if Salford get promoted it creates an obvious situation for the game to be brought into disrepute integrity of the game to be questioned. Should be a straight no

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 05:19:22 PM »
I think he will fail. As mentioned, a big part of management is about communication - he seems too shy and dour/negative to be a manager.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 05:35:32 PM »
Good luck to him, good to see some of our best players of a generation going into management and at lower league aswell
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 05:50:47 PM »
I don’t know how this is allowed considering he owns 10% of Salford.

It may seem a modest percentage but if Salford get promoted it creates an obvious situation for the game to be brought into disrepute integrity of the game to be questioned. Should be a straight no

It went to a FA committee before he could take the job
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 06:11:19 PM »
It went to a FA committee before he could take the job

I know, but it still shouldn’t be allowed.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 11:55:52 PM »
John Giles wasn't bad.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 08:00:31 AM »
John Giles wasn't bad.

Wholeheartedly agree, loved JG, but like Brian Talbot when he stopped being the "player/manger" and couldn't influence the on field tactics, things didn't quite work out
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部