Author Topic: Chris Brunt  (Read 765173 times)

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Re: Chris Brunt
« Reply #3450 on: August 05, 2019, 05:13:58 PM »
Moore coming across thick wasn't highlighted as why he failed by people. It was because he was a poor manager, the interviews just didn't help.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3451 on: August 05, 2019, 08:26:23 PM »
I just don't get some fans on Brunty. FFS.
Can't we just accept him for what he is now? A great servant whose game time will inevitably drop but someone who can still have an influence at times.
We have a good game, and immediately people come on and have little dig at the guy.
Why not just focus on the positives of who played tonight?
There have been plenty of times when Brunt has not played where we have been dog S***e.
I don’t get fans that can’t understand someone having an opinion .
It wasn’t a dig,it was an observation on what I saw,he may well have been a good servant (although handsomely paid) but the facts are he can’t tackle ,has no pace and his once pretty deadly dead ball delivery is now also slipping
The midfield looked good on Saturday and should only get better...bringing Brunt back in for ANY of them would be a mistake IMO 
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Gilsey 56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3452 on: August 05, 2019, 08:48:36 PM »
We all have our opinions on Brunt, there is no doubt he has been a great clubman and has a great left peg, but never been a central midfielder for me, an area where we were sadly lacking last season.
Good squad player this year, the age of the team is a lot lower and interestingly Morrison and Barry no were to be seen.
In my opinion, for what its worth , is that Semi will replace Livermore When Hegazi is fit.
In the beginning there was light.......Followed by the king Jeff Astle.

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3453 on: August 05, 2019, 09:00:45 PM »
Great club servant and technical footballer too,maybe back up left back position,Gibbs seems injury prone,Brunty may not have the pace but great experience on the leftside,and could still deliver the killer ball downfield,too old for centre midfield and Big Daves persistence with this,one of the reasons why he lost his job,but you cant blame Brunty if Dave kept on picking him there.

Gilsey 56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3454 on: August 05, 2019, 09:07:30 PM »
Yes, I agree , some of his best performances in recent years have been at LB.
In the beginning there was light.......Followed by the king Jeff Astle.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3455 on: August 05, 2019, 09:14:14 PM »
Great club servant and technical footballer too,maybe back up left back position,Gibbs seems injury prone,Brunty may not have the pace but great experience on the leftside,and could still deliver the killer ball downfield,too old for centre midfield and Big Daves persistence with this,one of the reasons why he lost his job,but you cant blame Brunty if Dave kept on picking him there.

From memory Brunt was out of the side when Moore got the boot. Jimmy Shan brought him back into the side and he was excellent.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3456 on: August 05, 2019, 09:22:42 PM »
I’ve a lot of time and respect for Brunt but I don’t think he would get ahead of a single midfielder from Saturdays squad for me.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3457 on: August 05, 2019, 09:51:19 PM »

From memory Brunt was out of the side when Moore got the boot. Jimmy Shan brought him back into the side and he was excellent.
Sorry I genuinely can't think of one game where he was close to excellent, and certainly not against Villa. He played the ball of the season for Gayle's goal against Preston but he didn't boss anything or run our midfield. I think he can make important contributions for the last 20 - 25 minutes in certain games from the bench this year.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3458 on: August 05, 2019, 09:55:02 PM »
Sorry I genuinely can't think of one game where he was close to excellent, and certainly not against Villa. He played the ball of the season for Gayle's goal against Preston but he didn't boss anything or run our midfield. I think he can make important contributions for the last 20 - 25 minutes in certain games from the bench this year.
A lot of players can do that once season.
It is when they can do it every game or every few minutes which show a fully aware player.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3459 on: August 05, 2019, 09:58:45 PM »
I remember Brunt coming back into the side. Had 2 good games then faded fast. The guys been great but he's past it. Not value for money at 25-30k a week or whatever he's on.

Having him back in CM starting would be a big mistake.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3460 on: August 05, 2019, 09:59:47 PM »
A lot of players can do that once season.
It is when they can do it every game or every few minutes which show a fully aware player.
And Tosin did it too
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

telford baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3461 on: August 05, 2019, 10:16:23 PM »

Excellent!! He hasnt even been good for 3 seasons, waste of good wages and with all his mates now gone he will be watching from the stands and rightly so

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3462 on: August 06, 2019, 09:13:32 AM »
Touche, but Moore was a liability and cost us promotion in all probability, Brunt's goals and assists won us promotion and the championship title.
Maybe what  i said about Moore was harsh to some, but you can't say it wasn't accurate. Decent player, rubbish manager.

I have the utmost respect for Chris Brunt and what he's helped Albion to achieve during turbulent times. He has superb vision and is still capable of playing defence splitting through balls. However, he is at a stage where he should not be a regular starter and most certainly not at the cost of an actual central midfielder.

As for Darren Moore he was influential in different ways when also assisting us to a couple of promotions. He may not always have come across as the shiniest spanner in the box to some. But I don't remember him being stupid enough to get himself sent off in a play off semi final against hated local rivals.

Brunty is a committed and honourable club man with a quick brain and a cracking left foot who will play where asked without complaint. But he lacks the natural instinct of an actual starting central midfielder. Quick brain or not this slows his reaction times meaning he gets caught out and makes rash, brain fart decisions. May make it as a manager as he clearly understands the game and has that vision of his.

God help him if people can't understand that accent of his when spoken at speed during interviews though eh  ;) ?
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3463 on: August 06, 2019, 09:18:04 AM »
Last season our top three players for assists were:

Harvey Barnes
Matt Phillips
Chris Brunt

All three were credited with 6 assists each, as was Romaine Sawyers for Brentford

according to who scored Phillips got 7 assists
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/40036/History/Matt-Phillips

and on Transfer Markt Barnes is also credited with 7 assists
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/harvey-barnes/profil/spieler/398065

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3464 on: August 06, 2019, 09:20:43 AM »
great servant and legend but his time is up at this level,not forgetting he probably contributed in a big way towards us not going up last season
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3465 on: August 06, 2019, 09:41:21 AM »
I agree completely with SmethDan!

I think Brunty still has a part to play and i would have him in the squad every game as backup for left back or left wing, barring injuries i would imagine that would be as a sub mainly but he offers something different and can still change a game even in short spells and we shouldnt be quick to dismiss that.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3466 on: August 06, 2019, 11:29:14 AM »
according to who scored Phillips got 7 assists
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/40036/History/Matt-Phillips

and on Transfer Markt Barnes is also credited with 7 assists
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/harvey-barnes/profil/spieler/398065

My quote was taken from Worldfootball Net, who recorded assist for Phillips, Barnes, Brunt and Sawyers as 6 each
https://www.worldfootball.net/assists/eng-championship-2018-2019/

赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3467 on: August 06, 2019, 12:00:21 PM »
My quote was taken from Worldfootball Net, who recorded assist for Phillips, Barnes, Brunt and Sawyers as 6 each
https://www.worldfootball.net/assists/eng-championship-2018-2019/

Maybe the extra assists for Phillips and Barnes were from cup games?

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3468 on: August 06, 2019, 02:08:45 PM »
Maybe the extra assists for Phillips and Barnes were from cup games?

I don't think they did looking at the links you posted. I guess somebody's abacus ran out of batteries at a crucial moment  :D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3469 on: August 06, 2019, 02:48:38 PM »
great servant and legend but his time is up at this level,not forgetting he probably contributed in a big way towards us not going up last season

no where near as much as DM did.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3470 on: August 06, 2019, 03:02:29 PM »

bit harsh Devon, there were a few midfield performances that were found wanting. From my personal recollection it was only the last few games where Chris struggled. I also remember the world class pass he made for the Gayle goal. It is unfair to sugggest that he was a contributing factor to us not getting promoted. I think a lot of the blame can be given to the management of the team, both by DM and JS, and the board and their penny pinching practices.

Having said that, we were in no fit shape to be promoted at the end of last season. Just imagine if we had by some fluke made it - Shan still in charge and a green light to the board for more second rate loan signings........

It may be that Chris was carrying an injury at the tail end of last season. Lets see what he has to offer this season before we roundly condemn him.......  I am more than happy to give him that chance because he has earned it.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 03:05:44 PM by skyclad99 »
MAGA!

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3471 on: August 06, 2019, 03:43:38 PM »
bit harsh Devon, there were a few midfield performances that were found wanting. From my personal recollection it was only the last few games where Chris struggled. I also remember the world class pass he made for the Gayle goal. It is unfair to sugggest that he was a contributing factor to us not getting promoted. I think a lot of the blame can be given to the management of the team, both by DM and JS, and the board and their penny pinching practices.

Having said that, we were in no fit shape to be promoted at the end of last season. Just imagine if we had by some fluke made it - Shan still in charge and a green light to the board for more second rate loan signings........

It may be that Chris was carrying an injury at the tail end of last season. Lets see what he has to offer this season before we roundly condemn him.......  I am more than happy to give him that chance because he has earned it.

got to remember its always the same scapegoats here. always Brunt or Livermore that you hear is to blame.

yet there are many other players who didnt perform as much as they should have last season.

for a man who has been a fantastic player for us and still contributes to us year in year out i just think some people will not be happy until he is retired.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3472 on: August 06, 2019, 03:45:31 PM »

Presume he means the red card as opposed to poor performances (of which there were very few). Ho he does anyway.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3473 on: August 06, 2019, 03:55:31 PM »
A side note about Brunty, for a long time has had that he was behind managers getting the sack.

All on social media and sometimes on here too, its been said he runs the dressing room, i think for a phase i wondered it too.

However i have been told from two sources who would be 99% ITK on this that Brunt isnt and never was the problem in the dressing room, by all accounts couldnt be further from the truth.

I still feel he has something offer this season in the right role and the man will go down as an Albion legend regardless.

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3474 on: August 06, 2019, 05:03:08 PM »
Nothing wrong with Brunty, it’s the managers playing him out of position. He would have been far more effective played out wide instead of that waste of space Murphy.