Author Topic: 22 Sept 2018 Albion 2 Millwall 0  (Read 33912 times)

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #175 on: September 22, 2018, 11:42:14 PM »
A hard earned three points and a clean sheet.
Only complaint is the passing to the side of the 18 yard box on goal kicks, seems to put a lot of undue pressure on us.
Really not happy with that tactic.
3 points it is.

The idea is to draw the opposition on, then play through them into midfield to set up attacks.   Totally agree it looks painful at times but there is method behind the madness.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #176 on: September 22, 2018, 11:45:02 PM »
The idea is to draw the opposition on, then play through them into midfield to set up attacks.   Totally agree it looks painful at times but there is method behind the madness.

I wouldn't abandon it. It's the modern game. We need either a lot of work on the training pitch or better ball playing defenders for it to not seem so flaky.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #177 on: September 23, 2018, 06:31:51 AM »
The lads dis what they had to do.
Watching Millwall was like watching us last season, no ambition no real threat lets take a point.
Even the goal keeper was Fosteresque with his goal kicks, taking forever.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #178 on: September 23, 2018, 08:11:23 AM »
Showed we can win ugly. The substitutions showed that Moore really wanted that first clean sheet.

Thought we looked better defensively with less sloppy passes between the back 3. Midfield still got overrun a bit in the first half and some poor passes from both Livermore and Brunt. Barnes was pretty bog standard a bit like he was against Blues but he's going to get games where he is nullified and it's up to us to cope with that.

Always thought we'd get a scrappy goal and so it was. Decent corner from Brunt and a good header from Hegazi, Gayle in exacty the right spot to tap home. Thought Mears looked tidy when he came on and did what he had to really. Good cross for the Gibbs goal too.

Hope Phillips is okay but if not it may be an opportunity for Burke or Edwards to show what they can do....especially if they play well against Palace.(Assuming they are playing).

Other results have gone well for us too.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #179 on: September 23, 2018, 09:29:58 AM »
The midfield is still a concern for me. We are a couple of injuries away from serious problems as well. I hope Matty Phillips' injury isn't too bad we will really miss him. An injury to Dwight Gayle would deeply concern me too. Robson-Kanu can sometimes grab a goal as a sub but when he starts he doesn't give you any confidence that he can do the business. Burke seems totally out of favour he's not even making the bench now. Harvey Barnes would be a big loss too. We have Hoolahan now which helps but he's slightly different in that he's busy and neat and tidy but he's not going to commit people or offer the cutting edge that Barnes does.

We could do with a lucky season with regards to injuries and suspensions.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

Sky Match Highlights
« Reply #180 on: September 23, 2018, 10:00:16 AM »

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #181 on: September 23, 2018, 10:52:07 AM »
Showed we can win ugly. The substitutions showed that Moore really wanted that first clean sheet.

Thought we looked better defensively with less sloppy passes between the back 3. Midfield still got overrun a bit in the first half and some poor passes from both Livermore and Brunt. Barnes was pretty bog standard a bit like he was against Blues but he's going to get games where he is nullified and it's up to us to cope with that.

Always thought we'd get a scrappy goal and so it was. Decent corner from Brunt and a good header from Hegazi, Gayle in exacty the right spot to tap home. Thought Mears looked tidy when he came on and did what he had to really. Good cross for the Gibbs goal too.

Hope Phillips is okay but if not it may be an opportunity for Burke or Edwards to show what they can do....especially if they play well against Palace.(Assuming they are playing).

Other results have gone well for us too.

Agree with most of this but if Phillips is injured for Preston on Sat, it doesn't matter how well Burke or Edwards do. It will be Mears in for him at RWB.

Aussie Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Sky Match Highlights
« Reply #182 on: September 23, 2018, 10:54:21 AM »
What the hell was Johnstone doing flying out of his box like that (first half) and then not even clearing it! Lucky that we had guys back on the line to head clear.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

Re: Sky Match Highlights
« Reply #183 on: September 23, 2018, 11:11:54 AM »
What the hell was Johnstone doing flying out of his box like that (first half) and then not even clearing it! Lucky that we had guys back on the line to head clear.

Decision making is not Johnstone's strong point at the moment. No need to come for that ball at all there were two defenders to deal with it. Should've come for a cross at Boro that we conceded from and didn't make his mind up what to do for Blues goal against us.

What I will say for him though is he seems to have a really good temperament nothing seems to get to him.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #184 on: September 23, 2018, 04:13:26 PM »
Was delighted that we were able to win despite another poor performance, and one in which the front three/four being so talented didn't bail us out. I said it at the time, but Gayle is, and will continue to be, a cracking signing. Love a quality poacher.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #185 on: September 23, 2018, 04:33:56 PM »
Was delighted that we were able to win despite another poor performance, and one in which the front three/four being so talented didn't bail us out. I said it at the time, but Gayle is, and will continue to be, a cracking signing. Love a quality poacher.

Takes his goals and assists out of the team we'd be in the bottom half. He makes all the difference.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #186 on: September 23, 2018, 04:41:16 PM »

It really was not a poor performance mate, those are the games that win you the league. 10 men behind the ball who make it hard to break down.

City have them throughout their season in the premierleague when it ain’t pretty but in the end they stay patient and get the result.

Don’t really know what you were expecting this season, we aren’t going to score 4 every game it just doesn’t happen

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #187 on: September 23, 2018, 06:31:57 PM »
I think saying Millwall stuck 10 men behind the ball is a bit unfair.  First half they had the better chances and we were lucky to still be 0-0 at half time.

Second half we showed more urgency and pushed them back.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #188 on: September 23, 2018, 06:53:39 PM »
A got the job done performance. Is Dwight Gayle a season long loan?, hope he can keep  injury free. The system DM is playing is starting to come to fruition.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #189 on: September 23, 2018, 07:49:54 PM »
It really was not a poor performance mate, those are the games that win you the league. 10 men behind the ball who make it hard to break down.

City have them throughout their season in the premierleague when it ain’t pretty but in the end they stay patient and get the result.

Don’t really know what you were expecting this season, we aren’t going to score 4 every game it just doesn’t happen

Disagree with every word of that. Can't say that Millwall sat 10 men behind the ball overly, they created some of the games better chances, whereas we created next to nothing before taking the lead with a very scrappy opener.

As I said, I was delighted with the win considering it was a game where our front players didn't click. I fail to see what you have an issue with about that, as your response has next to nothing to do with anything I said...

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #190 on: September 23, 2018, 09:48:55 PM »
Disagree with every word of that. Can't say that Millwall sat 10 men behind the ball overly, they created some of the games better chances, whereas we created next to nothing before taking the lead with a very scrappy opener.

As I said, I was delighted with the win considering it was a game where our front players didn't click. I fail to see what you have an issue with about that, as your response has next to nothing to do with anything I said...

Just disagree that it was a poor performance

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #191 on: September 24, 2018, 12:09:36 PM »
Just disagree that it was a poor performance

I don't think it was poor.   I actually thought it was a good team performance, even if no individuals shone as in previous games.  Myself and the lad normally name our man of the matches on the way home and we both struggled........Gibbs was good and you always get extra points for the goal but after that this was a solid team performance of 6.5/7 of our ten. Work rate was outstanding at times and we do actually look a threat again at corners, so to score from one was no fluke.  Came out of the ground very happy with what was a very different but still impressive performance and result.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #192 on: September 24, 2018, 12:51:16 PM »
I don't think it was poor.   I actually thought it was a good team performance, even if no individuals shone as in previous games.  Myself and the lad normally name our man of the matches on the way home and we both struggled........Gibbs was good and you always get extra points for the goal but after that this was a solid team performance of 6.5/7 of our ten. Work rate was outstanding at times and we do actually look a threat again at corners, so to score from one was no fluke.  Came out of the ground very happy with what was a very different but still impressive performance and result.

I agree with that 100%... it was not poor for me, just different. The bottom line is we are all happy with the result. Things are going well at the moment. I will now be interested to see how we face up to the next away game. At this level I would like to see us adopt the same game plan, regardless of where we are playing. That is exactly what Wolves did in this division last year and look how things worked out for them!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #193 on: September 24, 2018, 02:51:35 PM »

Millwall came with a Pulis type game plan, hang in there for a draw and try and sneak something.
When we had the ball they all retreated, when our back 3 had the ball they were quite happy to let them have it.
Yes they had a couple of chances in the first half more to do with our mistakes than their creativity.
They had some giant bodies playing at the back who all came forward for a free kick or corner, even the goal keeper was wasting time from kick off ala Foster.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'