Author Topic: Recap so far  (Read 5210 times)

tex

• Youth Baggie

Recap so far
« on: August 11, 2019, 03:01:06 PM »
Reading some sites and looking at Twitter.

Zohore is pooh and written off
Midfield has no end product
Burke is so bad HRK should be in front of him
We can’t score unless it’s a fluke
Sam Johnstone is glued to his line
We can’t defend
We had better pray the four new players save us
Hope I haven’t missed anything

Two games in, wow

albion59

• Senior Baggie

Re: Recap so far
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 03:08:13 PM »

Zohore is rubbish and written off
We can’t defend

Two games in, wow
Agree
              Disagree
              Agree
              Disagree
              Agree
              Disagree and don't need the four new players to save us but they need to be a big help especially Austin.

cornishbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 04:08:24 PM »

Zohore is rubbish and written off
We can’t defend

Two games in, wow

there has also been an absolute flood of positive messages / comments...  :-X

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 04:16:55 PM »
Sensationalism at its very best to be honest. Twitter is a ridiculous place for West Brom views.

We lost Rondon, Rodriguez, Dawson, Nyom, Morrison as well as fringe players and the loans of Holgate, Murphy, Barnes and Gayle ended. Field and Leko went out on loan.

11 players who would have been in and around the 18.

We bought in Furlong, Ajayi, Sawyers, Pereira, Willock, Diangana, Krovinovic, Zohore and Austin. We've introduced Ferguson and Edwards to the starting line up.

11 potential first teamers. That's a huge overhaul.

We have 4 points, scored 3 goals and conceded 2 from 2 games.

If this is bedding in time, i'll accept that.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 04:29:30 PM »
Sensationalism at its very best to be honest. Twitter is a ridiculous place for West Brom views.

We lost Rondon, Rodriguez, Dawson, Nyom, Morrison as well as fringe players and the loans of Holgate, Murphy, Barnes and Gayle ended. Field and Leko went out on loan.

11 players who would have been in and around the 18.

We bought in Furlong, Ajayi, Sawyers, Pereira, Willock, Diangana, Krovinovic, Zohore and Austin. We've introduced Ferguson and Edwards to the starting line up.

11 potential first teamers. That's a huge overhaul.

We have 4 points, scored 3 goals and conceded 2 from 2 games.

If this is bedding in time, i'll accept that.
I think I'm right in saying Bilic said this week that todays fans want instant results because that's the world they have grown up in, he's right of cause but that doesn't change how ridiculous it is to be writing players off after two games into the season  :(.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 04:31:49 PM »
2 points average per game so far.
Maintain than and we go up based on last years table.
Early days, I think we will improve. 
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 04:55:33 PM »
Three more points than this time last season.
Still a lot of work.and improvement to do, but once new signings have bedded in it will get better .
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 06:04:08 PM »
At the moment things look really good and exciting for us.  If you ignore the players we have to come in, then, yeah, you may be a bit concered with the top and bottom ends of the pitch.  You wouldn't want to go the entire season with Zohore, HRK and Burke as your only forwards.

When you look at who is yet to play for us though, then it's 'can't wait' time.  We looked good yesterday, controlled the game, just lacked that little bit of cutting edge.  Add Austin, Periera, Willock and Diangana into the mix.  The only concern is if Austin isn't all that, then we could be light up top still. 

Our midfield looks absolutely mental for this level.

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 06:30:34 PM »
Will also have Hengazi out at the moment.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

The Tank

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2019, 09:59:00 PM »
He won't chicken out of the task in hand.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2019, 07:57:17 AM »
4 points from the first 2 was the aim, although I would have liked to have put Milwall away at home as they will be battling down the wrong end of the table this season you would suspect.

We have had a lot of possession and seem to be controlling games which is good. We do however need to make sure we start to convert that into a genuine goal threat though. All 3 of our goals so far have had a bit of luck to them (the Milwall one less so after seeing the replay, even if it has gone down as an OG).

The new signings will hopefully make the difference in giving us some cutting edge, but Bilic will also need to show he is more than a just good talker and man manager, as we will need to show some tactical switches to seal with sides who defend deep against us.
Boing Boing

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2019, 09:20:39 AM »
Same as last year, teams will come and sit deep and try and stifle us, especially at home. Never easy to break down teams who put 10 behind the ball, we should know that better than anyone!!
The new boys will give us a bit of cutting edge and the goals and victories will follow. Good start but will get better.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2019, 12:48:13 PM »
Once you look at the players to come in - Hegazi, Barry, Austin, etc. - then the picture looks a bit brighter.

I think Hegazi back in the backline, Barry alongside Sawyers, and a centre-forward getting involved might help a lot.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2019, 07:56:00 AM »
Work in progress.

tex

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2019, 11:46:00 AM »
Work in progress is about right, we did so much business at the end of the window. The teams promoted like Norwich did not have two prolific marksmen and relied heavily on one. I have my fingers crossed and faith in Bilic

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2019, 05:31:06 PM »
Disappointing to lose last night but an important act for the likes of Austin, Diangana, Pereira and so on to get time on the pitch.

I think in perspective in the league we're on par and hopefully we can remain unbeaten v Luton going into 3 games in 10 days with 2 being at home.

Realistically we're probably going to see Austin up top with Pereira, Edwards and Phillips behind or something along those lines with Sawyers and Krovinovic feeding them from deeper so i can see us becoming much more potent in the final 3rd as they used to one another.

I'm not worried, i'm excited.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Aussie Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2019, 04:51:03 AM »
Can I throw a spanner in the works at this early stage?

Let’s just imagine we end up gaining promotion with the current squad.

How much more business would we need to do to bring us up to Premier League level?

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2019, 08:33:37 AM »
Can I throw a spanner in the works at this early stage?

Let’s just imagine we end up gaining promotion with the current squad.

How much more business would we need to do to bring us up to Premier League level?

No spanner, the answer is a fair few. I am not going to analyse positions but the money we would receive from the Premier league will go a fair way towards our cause.

I am not really thinking about that at the moment though, because personally I did not for one second think that the club would do so much seemingly good business and stay within their self imposed financial constraints during the last window. So I am cautiously optimistic that they are aware of what the future may hold and plan accordingly.

Its a nice problem to have though......
MAGA!

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2019, 09:06:08 AM »
There's a few of options.  From spending lots to spending nothing.  Obviously the squad would need a further overhaul, but that would be true regardless of when we went up (unless a sugar daddy comes in and splashes tens of millions).

When we were last in this position we were eventually too good for this league, but not good enough to be a regular Prem team.  Over the yoyo years we improved enough to get us to be fairly stable in the Prem.  I would imagine we would do something similar again.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2019, 12:12:04 PM »
.....I did not for one second think that the club would do so much seemingly good business and stay within their self imposed financial constraints during the last window......

Me neither. And yet despite said seemingly good business we find ourselves a hamstring and potential future suspension for Zohore away from starting with HRK on his own up front with no recognised forward on the bench. I see Burke as more of a wide man and we have very little idea what Willock brings to the table at this level. When you think about it it's shocking how much forward goal threat we're lacking in comparison to last season, especially given the strength of our resources over many clubs in the Championship. Here's hoping the midfield and wide men chip in with more than their fare share.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 12:14:02 PM by SmethDan »
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

tex

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2019, 05:44:39 PM »
i am looking forward to a front line of Zohore and Austin. I dont think Zohore is a bust just yet.

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2019, 10:00:52 PM »
Come on folks, we are only two games in and we have made some really good new purchases, so we should be hopeful.  I admit that our two games at home have not exactly been classics, but it is far to early to start writing players off or starting to panic.  If we are still having these issues ten games in then time to worry.

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2019, 09:43:07 PM »
We look good on the ball, only concern for me is corners.

Goals we’ve conceded;

Forest - long range strike, Johnstone should have saved
Millwall - free kick and 2 x corners. Looked vulnerable with every set piece faced
Luton - free header, however ajayi was marking the goal scorer but unfortunately slipped whilst getting into the box. No way would they have scored that without the slip.

We look dominant in midfield and with Austin up top we should have a top class focal point for this league. Set pieces against us will be a problem though unless we sort ourselves out.

All in all pretty excited as most teams won’t be as physical as Millwall were. Can’t see us being counter attacked much as the pace in the defence with Ajayi, Gibbs and Ferguson should help us out massively.