Author Topic: Thoughts on the Season to date  (Read 36468 times)

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

Re: Thoughts on the Season to date
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2018, 01:47:33 AM »
To be honest after start of season I wasn't impressed with the performance of the team and I didn't know how Darren wanted to play. Things have steadily improved over latest seven game unbeaten run in league but still not happy with some of his team selection and defence. I'd give Moore and team a B+

Big Al

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2018, 09:03:16 AM »
It’s much more interesting than the last 5 seasons have been.
DM has made some decisions with subs I don’t agree with but they have worked (Spurs last year, Wednesday this season) but that’s why he is running things, he is far more astute than I gave him credit for.
Goals scored by us have been rare in recent years and it is now great to see, but this increase has been at both ends of the pitch.
Only downside is we sit high in the league have had a better start than most thought (check Stoke and Swansea) but still some of our supporters are not happy. I understand we want perfection, but enjoy the good times, celebrate the positives and remember Mears is wearing stripes and giving his all.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 09:05:22 AM by Big Al »

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2018, 12:09:28 PM »
It’s much more interesting than the last 5 seasons have been.
DM has made some decisions with subs I don’t agree with but they have worked (Spurs last year, Wednesday this season) but that’s why he is running things, he is far more astute than I gave him credit for.
Goals scored by us have been rare in recent years and it is now great to see, but this increase has been at both ends of the pitch.
Only downside is we sit high in the league have had a better start than most thought (check Stoke and Swansea) but still some of our supporters are not happy. I understand we want perfection, but enjoy the good times, celebrate the positives and remember Mears is wearing stripes and giving his all.

I'm not sure that it's perfection that we want, more so that some of us are concerned that at the moment our front three are more often than not getting us out of jail and that to a certain extent that is just papering over the cracks of the frailties of the central midfield and the back three. It's clear that in some games against the better quality teams in this division that we aren't going to keep riding our luck. I think the fact we are sitting 2nd is more of an indication on the whole of the overall poor quality in this league rather than anything outstanding we have been achieving.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2018, 12:23:22 PM »
I'm not sure that it's perfection that we want, more so that some of us are concerned that at the moment our front three are more often than not getting us out of jail and that to a certain extent that is just papering over the cracks of the frailties of the central midfield and the back three. It's clear that in some games against the better quality teams in this division that we aren't going to keep riding our luck. I think the fact we are sitting 2nd is more of an indication on the whole of the overall poor quality in this league rather than anything outstanding we have been achieving.
It's a difficult balancing act, that's for sure. If we did take action to try and improve the defence, it would almost certainly have an affect on our attacking prowess. I think DM and Jones have decided that, even though our back 4 are not ideally suited to the new formation, they are still better than 90 % of this league, therefore it's a risk worth taking. Add to that the fact that our front 4 are probably the best in the division and we are capable of out scoring anyone.
No way are they blind to the issues at the back, they just have faith in their conviction that this system will get us promoted. If it does however, I doubt very much that we would see Dawson, Hegazi and Bartley as a back 3 in the Prem.
No point worrying about that at the minute though, just enjoy the magnificent ride we are currently on. We deserve it!! :)

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2018, 02:09:36 PM »
Thought I'd drag this thread back out -

So, it's a mighty congested top half - or top two thirds even, and it's pretty clear its not going to be a season where one team looks nailed on for one of the automatic promotion slots by the New Year.  Boro and Leeds have lost momentum, we've had the week from hell, while Norwich, Birmingham and QPR are shooting up the table.  Derby looking good, Sheff Utd very strong at home.  Mind you, I can't see any of this lot getting much joy in the prem.

We have to get our heads down for winter, its going to be a long haul.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2018, 03:07:25 PM »

So, it's a mighty congested top half - or top two thirds even, and it's pretty clear its not going to be a season where one team looks nailed on for one of the automatic promotion slots by the New Year.  Boro and Leeds have lost momentum, we've had the week from hell, while Norwich, Birmingham and QPR are shooting up the table.  Derby looking good, Sheff Utd very strong at home.  Mind you, I can't see any of this lot getting much joy in the prem.

Birmingham are the dark horses. Results are starting to go their way.
I can see them getting to the promotion stages.

MICKYMEL

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2018, 03:53:35 PM »
No standout team, poor all round.

A team that puts a winning run together will shoot clear. 10 out of 14 wins will see a team clear.

We do not have the consistency to do that so potentially it’s play off place scraping at this stage
Whenever we are playing badly, just remember -
Paul Chrichton,Neil Parsley, Andy Mcdermott, Scott Darton, Winston White,Mark Angel, Fabian DeFreitas, Paul Williams......now, do you feel better?

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2018, 04:11:45 PM »
Let's hope were getting our " blip" out of the way early.

lindenbaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2018, 08:28:58 PM »

Seen all teams this season and all will struggle in Premiership without huge investment. Most teams in the premiership have strengthened again, so uphill from the start for all promoted sides this season.

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2018, 10:40:55 PM »
 ??? Think we are being found out....1 point from 9 this week not great promotion form!!!!!

We are still in the top 6 but feel a "slide" down the table coming on. As a lot of people have posted "wrong formation" "playing your mates".

Big Dave needs a "shake up" in the team....I think can do better with players such as Field, Harper, Hoolohan and Sako, having a run.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2018, 06:14:06 AM »
I am really disappointed with the lack of opportunities given to Field, Edwards, Leko, and Harper and Burke in particular.
Jack Fitzwater should be recalled from Walsall too.
I had hoped that we were going to try to build a new young team for the future, instead we have continued to choose to rely on players who have let us down before, players who are past their sell by date, and we have even added more of that type.
What is the point? returning to the premier league ? with this group of players ?
We are struggling to compete in the Championship against "decent" teams, and I am staggered that we continue to give game time to Dawson (on the basis that he clearly now does not want to be here) Bartley, Mears, Brunt, Robson-Kanu, the over-rated Rodriguez, Hoolahan, and Barry (who should never have played for the club again).
I reserve judgement on Morrison, who can still make a contribution, but will he stay fit?
Having seen away performances this season, I will not be travelling again, but i applaud those who continue to journey to support the team and endure such appalling performances on the pitch.
I do not like the the impatience shown by some of our supporters to a good young keeper like Sam Johnstone, who shone at the Villa when he played behind decent defenders like Terry and Chester.
Some on this forum are even picking Myhill over him in their teams.
Over criticism of our young players and Darren Moore's reluctance to give them opportunities will drive them away from our club.
Darren's assertion of "togetherness" is about to unfold.
There are many dissenter's to his stubborn, three Beckenbauer's at the back formation, the geriatric line-up,
and would you trust this most genuine nice guy to oversee the rebuilding of the squad for next season?
I feel that Jeremy Peace's comment that we are a mid-table Championship club is about to be proven, and after 8 years in the Premier League, to see the current team that we are putting out to represent this great club is a disgrace to the people running the club recently past, and present.
What do you think Mr Lai ?

That's where I am
DEPRESSED OF DUDLEY

« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 08:03:11 AM by iwastherein68 »
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2018, 06:49:01 AM »
I think there is a brittleness about us which is alarming and plainly we need to get back to winning ways but all that said no team is running away with the division. At the outset I would have been happy to be in contention at this stage of the season
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2018, 09:18:07 AM »
I think there is a brittleness about us which is alarming and plainly we need to get back to winning ways but all that said no team is running away with the division. At the outset I would have been happy to be in contention at this stage of the season

This is how I feel about really. I am worried about how we've (not) played in the last 3 games. The run of games we've got coming up to Christmas will tell us a lot about how good a head coach Moore is.
We've got tough home games against Leeds, Villa and Brentford and tough away games with Swansea and Sheff Utd. If we are serious title contenders then we have to win away at Hull, Ipswich and Rotherham and get something at Swansea and Sheff Utd. Winning the home games is a must too.

I'd like to see a change in formation away but I can't decide if it should be playing a back 4 or a 5 man midfield or both . I think 1 up top is enough too.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Backofthenet

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2018, 10:04:23 AM »
To be fair I always thought we would be mid table this season and nothing that has happened has changed my mind. The early good form was never going to last and we also caught teams off guard and who let us attack.
Now we've been found out a bit, then teams will attack our back 3 who are unsteady and all have a mistake in them.
I still think mid table is about where we will end and that may bring some lessons to those in charge that a proper rebuild is necessary with youth linked with experience rather than a load of has beens and over age players running down their careers.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2018, 10:14:20 AM »
Its a tough one as if at the start of the season (when many people thought this was going to be a season of struggle/change) had said after 15 games we would be 5th in the table and 4 points off top, many of us would have probably taken that as a good start to the season.

Whilst we have been scoring goals for fun (most the time) and at times have looked unplayable, we do look very shaky at the back (probably as vunerable as I can remember). I believe that a large majority of the goals we have conceded have come from our set up and style of play, the constant need to play out from the back causes us problems, I don't have a problem with us playing out from the back if the personnel is good enough to do it.

My biggest concern is what we do in the next 10 games. Our last 3 games have been far from convincing, DM hasn't really inspired too much with the subs and it looks as though the coaching staff are insistent on setting up and playing the same way.

I just hope we somehow come up with a plan B for when plan A isn't working, and more importantly I hope we strengthen at the back in January.

Here's to hoping that our 'blip' of the season is happening now. I read on the express and star a comparison to Mowbrays WBA season (one which many of us would say was our favourite wba season), his team at that point had lost the same amount of games as we have currently.

wappingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2018, 02:47:22 AM »
I am really disappointed with the lack of opportunities given to Field, Edwards, Leko, and Harper and Burke in particular.
I had hoped that we were going to try to build a new young team for the future, instead we have continued to choose to rely on players who have let us down before, players who are past their sell by date, and we have even added more of that type.
What is the point? returning to the premier league ? with this group of players ?
We are struggling to compete in the Championship against "decent" teams, and I am staggered that we continue to give game time to Dawson (on the basis that he clearly now does not want to be here) Bartley, Mears, Brunt, Robson-Kanu, the over-rated Rodriguez, Hoolahan, and Barry (who should never have played for the club again).

I feel that Jeremy Peace's comment that we are a mid-table Championship club is about to be proven,
That's where I am
DEPRESSED OF DUDLEY

Mate thats a great post exactly how i feel too

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2018, 03:09:28 AM »
Mate thats a great post exactly how i feel too

Who can disagree with the poster's observations! DM has been a big disappointment with his selections and use of substitutions. The season can't be allowed to go on in the same vein or we will slowly but surely plunge down the table. If by a miracle we did manage to get promoted with the old guard then its difficult to see how we could stay there more than a season. The FFP regulations would prevent the chairman spending the huge amounts that will be needed on new, younger players to ensure a longer stay.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2018, 12:03:02 PM »
I reserve judgement on Morrison, who can still make a contribution, but will he stay fit?
Having seen away performances this season, I will not be travelling again, but i applaud those who continue to journey to support the team and endure such appalling performances on the pitch.
I do not like the the impatience shown by some of our supporters to a good young keeper like Sam Johnstone, who shone at the Villa when he played behind decent defenders like Terry and Chester.
Some on this forum are even picking Myhill over him in their teams.
Over criticism of our young players and Darren Moore's reluctance to give them opportunities will drive them away from our club.
Darren's assertion of "togetherness" is about to unfold.
There are many dissenter's to his stubborn, three Beckenbauer's at the back formation, the geriatric line-up,
and would you trust this most genuine nice guy to oversee the rebuilding of the squad for next season?
I feel that Jeremy Peace's comment that we are a mid-table Championship club is about to be proven, and after 8 years in the Premier League, to see the current team that we are putting out to represent this great club is a disgrace to the people running the club recently past, and present.
What do you think Mr Lai ?

That's where I am
DEPRESSED OF DUDLEY

Unless we intended to play Jack he's better off finishing the season at walsall

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2018, 12:32:03 PM »
Unless we intended to play Jack he's better off finishing the season at walsall
Why would'nt we play him? He is certainly better than Bartley in my opinion, and if the management intend to persevere with the present formation where is the cover?  I am thinking if someone is still interested in Dawson, then let him go (and I say that as a big fan of Craig, but not this seasons version!). Bartley can go anytime, anywhere  for me, don't rate him, and don't like the way he looks to blame everyone around him.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2018, 03:08:28 PM »
Now the bitter taste from the Derby and Blackburn games is fading (until next time) I feel I can make a reasonably balanced judgement which is that we are about where I hoped we would be.  Please note that is hoped not expected.

To give my judgement some context, lets not forget.....

*Club was on on it's way down when he came in and completely on its backside with constant infighting over TP and then Pardew.  He galvanised the club and the majority are still behind Big D. 
*Lets face it the football was SH*TE!!  No goals, no shots, no attacking players....i had died inside.  The first quarter of this season has given me some of the most exciting attacking football i have ever seen at the Hawthorns (and some of the most hair raising defending, but mostly entertainment).
*The SH*TE football was the result of a pretty terrible recruitment binge intially begun by a now sacked recruitment team and then continued by our renowned HC.  Leaving us with an unbalanced, ageing, one paced squad with little resale value.
*There was no DOF present to help counter this (you can't count that fella with the snozzle and moustache) and work alongside Darren Moore to discuss squad building -  and his assistant coach did not arrive until the season started. 
*Because of this Darren Moore was not backed in the market.  Once Chadli was sold we apparently made a few late and derisory bids for the players identified (Dack and Tavernier) but these failed and left Darren Moore looking at mates rates and free's to bolster the squad (although Sakho could be the rabbit out of the hat). 

Taking these points into consideration i had NO IDEA how the season would go.  I didn't buy into the "we are Premier League so should be top two" argument as I'd watched these Premier League players on a regular basis and knew they just weren't all that.   We had two really genuine PL players, and they had both gone. The best i was hoping for was that we would change our style (tick), score some goals (tick tick) and be in contention for the play-offs at Xmas (tick, tick,  and hopefully tick baring a total collapse).

There are number of serious issues now surfacing but we are not yet halfway through a long season and these are issues that can be addressed/changed.   It could go either way, and if we do miss out on the play offs it will be very disappointing.  But for the moment, I'm happy enough to keep supporting the Big Man and see where this journey takes us.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 03:13:06 PM by Oldbury24 »

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2018, 08:11:55 PM »
Now the bitter taste from the Derby and Blackburn games is fading (until next time) I feel I can make a reasonably balanced judgement which is that we are about where I hoped we would be.  Please note that is hoped not expected.

To give my judgement some context, lets not forget.....

*Club was on on it's way down when he came in and completely on its backside with constant infighting over TP and then Pardew.  He galvanised the club and the majority are still behind Big D. 
*Lets face it the football was SH*TE!!  No goals, no shots, no attacking players....i had died inside.  The first quarter of this season has given me some of the most exciting attacking football i have ever seen at the Hawthorns (and some of the most hair raising defending, but mostly entertainment).
*The SH*TE football was the result of a pretty terrible recruitment binge intially begun by a now sacked recruitment team and then continued by our renowned HC.  Leaving us with an unbalanced, ageing, one paced squad with little resale value.
*There was no DOF present to help counter this (you can't count that fella with the snozzle and moustache) and work alongside Darren Moore to discuss squad building -  and his assistant coach did not arrive until the season started. 
*Because of this Darren Moore was not backed in the market.  Once Chadli was sold we apparently made a few late and derisory bids for the players identified (Dack and Tavernier) but these failed and left Darren Moore looking at mates rates and free's to bolster the squad (although Sakho could be the rabbit out of the hat). 

Taking these points into consideration i had NO IDEA how the season would go.  I didn't buy into the "we are Premier League so should be top two" argument as I'd watched these Premier League players on a regular basis and knew they just weren't all that.   We had two really genuine PL players, and they had both gone. The best i was hoping for was that we would change our style (tick), score some goals (tick tick) and be in contention for the play-offs at Xmas (tick, tick,  and hopefully tick baring a total collapse).

There are number of serious issues now surfacing but we are not yet halfway through a long season and these are issues that can be addressed/changed.   It could go either way, and if we do miss out on the play offs it will be very disappointing.  But for the moment, I'm happy enough to keep supporting the Big Man and see where this journey takes us.

Spot on.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2018, 09:00:32 PM »
In the summer I was worried - very worried - and thought that without a big change we would be languishing low down the table, maybe even in trouble of relegation, due to the lack of experience of the manager, and the lack of support he could expect from a depleted hierarchy.

Given that context, it may seem slightly churlish to be a bit disappointed given where we are. But I still see a lot of problems that concern me.

Let's start with what's on the pitch. While we were always going to lose a few and replace them with players who weren't as good (that being the nature of relegation), our transfer business has left us with a squad sorely in need of January reinforcements. The squad is old and creaking, and the few younger players we have are being ignored. Despite the problems I mentioned at the start, I refuse to accept a ready to retire Mears is our best option.

And then there is the football. We have a frightening amount of attacking power - when everybody is fit and on form. Barnes, Gayle, Phillips, et al have been superb up until this last week. We will have far too much going forward for the divisions lesser lights. But when we come up against the better teams, we will struggle. The defense is being asked to play an system which doesn't suit the players, and which is leading to us putting ourselves under pressure. Despite this, there is no plan B; there are no tactical changes coming from the bench.

And that's another concern; the substitutes. On top of a weakened squad, the substitutions consistently fail to change the game in a positive way; usually, it's the two oldest players, plus Hal Robson-Kanu, who simply is not good enough for this club.

So I think we're at a crossroads in our season, and it all depends on how Big Dave reacts to this last week. If he works with the players on the training ground, and either changes or adapts the system then we could maintain a play-off place, or even shoot for automatic if the forwards get back to form and stay there. If he continues resolutely with a system that has been exposed, then we could finish mid-table, or lower. January reinforcements would make all the difference too, but the club doesn't do business in January. Myself and others are worried that he might be out of his depth, as we feared when he got the job; now is the time to prove us wrong, like we all hope he will.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2018, 09:23:48 PM »
Some very fair assessments immediately above.

I think the evidence so far proves that we cannot just rely on this one system of 3 at the back, with 2 CMs and Barnes as a number 10 / very advanced AM.
As an option, we also need to be able to play 4-3-3 with personnel suited to that system. That means signing a decent RB and a young or peak, fit genuine AM.
Re the genuine AM, I class this as a genuine midfield player with attacking instincts. Barnes is too attack minded to be a genuine AM (if he stays). Morrison...well we would be mad to rely on his fitness (but probably will). Hoolahan - he's getting on a bit and unlikely to do the business game in game out.
I wouldn't want to see Burke go but we may have to sacrifice one or two based on needing players properly suited to playing a certain system.
At least we might keep sides guessing a bit more about the formation and how we are going to play.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2018, 11:08:27 PM »
Like many of the excellent posts above I feel we are at least as high in the league as I expected, maybe higher in fact. But as has also been  well stated there are a number of issues that must be resolved if we are to trouble the top 6 at the seasons end. I look forward with interest to the line up at the back for the Hull game. He can’t pick Bartley so let’s see who does get the nod and whether or not we give a better defensive display without him.
I have enjoyed a number of games this season whereas before this I struggle to remember when I last enjoyed a match. That is worth something in my book.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2018, 07:06:26 AM »
I hoped for top four but expected top 8 so we are where I thought we'd be. We're in a transitional period as a club let alone a team. We haven't got a great squad but have  real quality for this league in the right areas, especially up front if they stay fit (not much back up though). We do really lack energy and quality on the ball in midfield though which will cost us a top two spot. Also, we're not tight enough at the back to grind out a top two spot a la Megson in the past.

Therefore, I'd say we're going well for the squad DM has. Trying to play better football. Quite inconsistent which you'd expect with quite a few new faces and a new head coach/ system bedding down.

The massive thing for me is that we get enough results by Christmas then we'll see if the club are going to support DM to go out there and push with a couple of quality signings (not necessarily big money) instead of hoping we can sneak up with what we have.

For the record, I'd be amazed if we go up this season though. We just lack a couple of first team players and strength in depth in my opinion to do it. If we don't add players mid season , I could see us sticking around the 5 to 8th place..........