Author Topic: My worry................  (Read 26079 times)

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

Re: My worry................
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2018, 09:02:33 PM »
I probably should have said senior players, players who have experience playing first team football.

The ones in bold are the ones I counted, but I can only see 16 for some reason. Plus, on the OS there is only 21 players listed.

I didn't count McClean because he's off, but it also looks like a few others are on their way. Mozza isn't even signed to us at present is he?

We've got 14 players contracted who have made 50 senior apps or more. That's including McClean.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2018, 10:06:25 PM »
If you scroll past the stuff about Field's contract, the article I've linked to below continues with a section where local journalists who cover the clubs they were at last season review Wilson, Edwards, Fitzwater, Harper and Leko. Only Wilson is regarded as currently being potentially good enough to play in the Championship at this point in time. Here are some of the comments for each player:

Wilson: "...looks like he could make the step up. He developed rapidly over the course of the season to the point where he could have been a standout player in League Two at just 18. Whilst I would not expect him to be a regular starter in the Championship just yet, he could well break into the first-team for some appearances next season - if he does, he should continue his development well".

Edwards: "...looked sharper from the bench than starting - his pace was exciting, but he would often disappear when playing from the start. I think the step up for Edwards is a little too much for now, he could do with another season or so at League Two level to really hone his talent and become a regular threat from the off against experienced defenders".

Fitzwater: "His no-nonsense approach made him very popular amongst Walsall fans. With the Bescot Stadium trembling with fear each and every time Walsall’s defensive abilities were tested, Fitzwater offered a little bit of class and composure amidst the panic...I don’t see him breaking into Albion’s side for another few years which begs the question: will he be given enough time to develop at The Hawthorns?"

Harper: "He didn’t show enough during his time at the club to show he warranted being ahead of those aforementioned youngsters who helped Rovers to the Premier League 2 Division Two title. He was brought in to add extra athleticism to the Rovers midfield, but only on fleeting occasions did he display his true qualities. I think another loan spell, probably somewhere nearer to home, in League One would be best. He’s clearly got plenty of ability, but often wants more time on the ball than he’s afforded in senior games, which probably stems from playing Academy football".

Leko: "He failed to score and only produced one assist. The assist came in home demolition of Derby County. In total he played just 403 minutes of Championship football for Bristol City. Leko struggled to make a significant impact in the first team as he was unable to hold down a regular starting spot...it is fair to say Leko failed to live up to his hype".

Source: Birmingham Mail
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 01:37:56 PM by WorcsWBA »

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2018, 10:39:15 PM »
If you scroll past the stuff about Field's contract, the article I've linked to below continues with a section where local journalists who cover the clubs they were at last season review Wilson, Edwards, Fitzwater, Harper and Leko. Only Wilson is regarded as currently being potentially good enough to play in the Chamoionship at this point in time. Here are some of the comments for each player:

Wilson: "...looks like he could make the step up. He developed rapidly over the course of the season to the point where he could have been a standout player in League Two at just 18. Whilst I would not expect him to be a regular starter in the Championship just yet, he could well break into the first-team for some appearances next season - if he does, he should continue his development well".

Edwards: "...looked sharper from the bench than starting - his pace was exciting, but he would often disappear when playing from the start. I think the step up for Edwards is a little too much for now, he could do with another season or so at League Two level to really hone his talent and become a regular threat from the off against experienced defenders".

Fitzwater: "His no-nonsense approach made him very popular amongst Walsall fans. With the Bescot Stadium trembling with fear each and every time Walsall’s defensive abilities were tested, Fitzwater offered a little bit of class and composure amidst the panic...I don’t see him breaking into Albion’s side for another few years which begs the question: will he be given enough time to develop at The Hawthorns?"

Harper: "He didn’t show enough during his time at the club to show he warranted being ahead of those aforementioned youngsters who helped Rovers to the Premier League 2 Division Two title. He was brought in to add extra athleticism to the Rovers midfield, but only on fleeting occasions did he display his true qualities. I think another loan spell, probably somewhere nearer to home, in League One would be best. He’s clearly got plenty of ability, but often wants more time on the ball than he’s afforded in senior games, which probably stems from playing Academy football".

Leko: "He failed to score and only produced one assist. The assist came in home demolition of Derby County. In total he played just 403 minutes of Championship football for Bristol City. Leko struggled to make a significant impact in the first team as he was unable to hold down a regular starting spot...it is fair to say Leko failed to live up to his hype".

Source: Birmingham Mail
Fair enough. We have to hope that 2 or 3 of these feel they belong under DM in pre season, hit the ground running and are hungry to step up. Young players can go either way up or down quite quickly. I'm sure they all have different stories to tell of being out on loan....they could be playing in styles that don't suit them or not getting enough game time or just feeling unsettled in a different environment. It'll be interesting to see where they are this time next year i.e. establishing themselves or falling further back behind others.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2018, 11:42:30 AM »

No were not.

Johnstone
Palmer - untested at this level
Nyom
Wilson - untested at this level
Gibbs
Brunt
Fitzwater - untested at this level
Hegazi - £10m release clause
Dawson (at the moment) - handed in transfer request
Livermore
Harper - untested at this level (OK 2 appearances)
Barry - unwanted
Field
Edwards - untested at this level
Phillips
Leko - has a little experience, but no impact to date. Just over 400 minutes on the pitch at Bristol last season
Morrison - who knows if he'll be offered/sign a contract?
Chadli - release clause - impressed for belgium
McClean (at the moment) on his bike
Burke - what can he do? - a lot hopefully, but still very few 1st team appearances
Rondon - release clause
Rodriguez - being cool, but wants a move
Robson-Kanu - not someone I really want to see in an albion shirt.

I make that 23.
I make it 7 players (+Barry and HRK) that don't have some sort of risk associated with in our squad.  Can they perform at this level?  Will we be forced to sell them?  Will they force a move?  That's far too much risk to carry in the squad.  If we had 18 players that are secure and we know would excel at this level then we could carry, say, 5 or 6 risks.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2018, 11:44:58 AM »
Reading early reports I feel Barry will start the season in the team. How long he can hold onto the shirt depends on him. His passing will still be a class above.

Personally I wanted rid. But he's triggered the extension so we might as well use him.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2018, 12:22:46 PM »
Reading early reports I feel Barry will start the season in the team. How long he can hold onto the shirt depends on him. His passing will still be a class above.

Personally I wanted rid. But he's triggered the extension so we might as well use him.

Correct, but depressing !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2018, 12:38:17 PM »
Calling on Albion fans 18 to 34 to bring your football boots to all games as Darren might require your services to bring up the numbers :P

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2018, 12:48:39 PM »
Calling on Albion fans 30 to 38 to bring your football boots to all games as Darren might require your services to bring up the numbers :P

Fixed it for you  :P

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2018, 01:34:49 PM »
Calling on Albion fans 18 to 34 to bring your football boots to all games as Darren might require your services to bring up the numbers :P

I've just turned 35 and offered my services on Twitter. Still waiting to hear back  :'( :P

Backofthenet

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2018, 02:56:26 PM »
Why are we limiting the age group?
I reckon I could still do a job at the back strolling about and knocking short passes around.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2018, 05:33:33 PM »
Why are we limiting the age group?
I reckon I could still do a job at the back strolling about and knocking short passes around.

Short passes, what are they?
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2018, 09:59:57 PM »
Think a few of our fans need to have a browse of other Championship forums. Half the clubs in this league need to sell to balance the books, are under transfer embargo, or have a whole squad on strike. We've just signed a goalkeeper worth more than the entire Rotherham squad, things are nowhere near as bad as people are making out.

Without sounding arrogant, we shouldn't even be thinking of comparing ourselves to Rotherham in terms of league positions come the end of next season, it's not them or the poorer clubs that I worry about.

It's the other two relegated sides, Nottingham Forest - who are doing the same as Wolves, and then the likes of Boro, Leeds, the Sheffield sides, Norwich and possibly 1 or 2 others. I don't expect us to get relegated for one second, but I do think we could finish 10th for example which would be pretty bad overall when you consider the time-bomb of parachute payments.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2018, 03:39:48 PM »
Without sounding arrogant, we shouldn't even be thinking of comparing ourselves to Rotherham in terms of league positions come the end of next season, it's not them or the poorer clubs that I worry about.

It's the other two relegated sides, Nottingham Forest - who are doing the same as Wolves, and then the likes of Boro, Leeds, the Sheffield sides, Norwich and possibly 1 or 2 others. I don't expect us to get relegated for one second, but I do think we could finish 10th for example which would be pretty bad overall when you consider the time-bomb of parachute payments.

Both Sheffield sides and Norwich are limited in what they can do financially. Forest are going mad about signing Grabban, a player who I would have disappointed with us signing and we currently have two far better strikers on our books. Leeds fans are going mental because they've been in talks with Hernandez and Vydra for over a month and aren't close to an agreement with either.

I'll be as livid as everyone else if we balls up this transfer window but, as it stands, only Stoke, Swansea and Boro have a squad that is on the same level as ours. At this point in time the only thing we are in need of is a back up keeper and a centre back, as long as we sufficiently replace any more outgoings as they leave (ala Foster) then I can't justify moaning.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2018, 03:57:19 PM »
Not one to moan and but I am starting to get thoroughly depressed with what is going on down at our club. Only one positive signing, a few imminent departures and talk of loan players training with us, all this against a background of Jenkins saying that in the new season 'we need to hit the ground running'. I cannot help but think that all we are going to do is  'hit the ground....' all this and our owner may be wanting to recoup his money in some way, shape or form.

What I don't understand is why we have not been more active during the WC, its not as though we are bidding for any players who were there....

I am normally quite optimistic, and I do support Darren Moore, but I don't mind admitting that I do have concerns as we get ever closer to the start of the season.

I should be used to this to be honest, after all it is the Albion!
MAGA!

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2018, 05:23:42 PM »

I'll be as livid as everyone else if we balls up this transfer window but, as it stands, only Stoke, Swansea and Boro have a squad that is on the same level as ours. At this point in time the only thing we are in need of is a back up keeper and a centre back, as long as we sufficiently replace any more outgoings as they leave (ala Foster) then I can't justify moaning.
If I've understood correctly you think that Myhill, Gabr, Krychowiak, Sturridge, McAuley, Evans and Yacob (90 odd appearance between them last season) can be replaced with 1 CB and 1 GK?

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2018, 05:57:11 PM »
If I've understood correctly you think that Myhill, Gabr, Krychowiak, Sturridge, McAuley, Evans and Yacob (90 odd appearance between them last season) can be replaced with 1 CB and 1 GK?

Depends whether we are looking to build a midtable Premier League squad or one that can compete in the Championship, but yes, if we kept the squad we have today and added Bartley and a back up keeper we'd be comfortable top 6.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2018, 09:57:16 PM »
Depends whether we are looking to build a midtable Premier League squad or one that can compete in the Championship, but yes, if we kept the squad we have today and added Bartley and a back up keeper we'd be comfortable top 6.
That's nice to hear - what were you predicting at the start of last season?

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2018, 02:28:10 AM »
That's nice to hear - what were you predicting at the start of last season?

I'm honestly not sure whether I made a prediction, but you're more than welcome to go back through my posts and have a look. Although I did think we'd finish higher than we did.

Not really sure what my prediction for last season has to do with the strength of our current squad though?

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2018, 06:01:44 AM »
I'm honestly not sure whether I made a prediction, but you're more than welcome to go back through my posts and have a look. Although I did think we'd finish higher than we did.

Not really sure what my prediction for last season has to do with the strength of our current squad though?
I think he's probably trying to work out if you are usually accurate enough in your predictions to think about putting a few bob on a top 6 finish  ;)
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2018, 06:38:42 AM »

Really kills the enthusiasm !!  >:(
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2018, 01:36:25 PM »

That's about my take on it. If we are going to be paying him a decent wage, I would rather see us get some value for it, even at his age he should be a class above most at that level.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2018, 01:40:30 PM »
That's about my take on it. If we are going to be paying him a decent wage, I would rather see us get some value for it, even at his age he should be a class above most at that level.
No squad player. I don't want to see him blocking the youngsters' progress. He'll never past a 46 game season anyway.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2018, 01:45:02 PM »
You posted that a squad which finished bottom last season would finish "comfortable top 6" this season, so I thought I'd ask how you thought they'd do last season to try to gauge to what extent you assess things optimistically.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2018, 01:46:16 PM »
No squad player. I don't want to see him blocking the youngsters' progress. He'll never past a 46 game season anyway.

If we're paying him and he's committed to making amends for the taxi and nightclub antics then we may as well include him in the team where we can. His experience could be vital be it off the bench, on the training pitch with the younger players or coming on for the last 15 minutes of big games. It would be massively cutting our nose to spit our face to exclude him on the basis of a couple of misdemeanors under Pardew.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2018, 01:52:20 PM »
If we're paying him and he's committed to making amends for the taxi and nightclub antics then we may as well include him in the team where we can.
There was no evidence of that last season, so why would it be different now? He might just coast his way through the season and then retire. However, the fact that he's taken up his 1 year option doesn't necessarily mean he wants to stay - it means he's probably now entitled to a bigger severance/signing on payment if he leaves, as long as he doesn't ask for a transfer.