Author Topic: Salomon Rondon joins Dalian Yifang  (Read 1129693 times)

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Salomon Rondon
« Reply #2725 on: November 30, 2017, 09:37:17 PM »
Rondon seems to be enthused by the arrival of Pardew if the article below is anything to go by: "my main concern is to help the team, to hold the ball up and try to play. I think when the players get more confident around you, you can play and you can move. I think now is a good time for me. When the new manager introduces his style and his tactics, I hope every player can help one another."

Fingers crossed that Rondon and a number of other players will be revitalised by Pardew's coaching and tactics and we'll start to see the best of them. Those that were previously stifled, suppressed and isolated might now start to feel energised and supported, which can only be good. It'll be interesting to see how the likes of Rondon, Rodriguez etc respond to playing in a more attack-minded side. Those who continue to play poorly when the style of play changes will be the ones who need to be moved on.

Link: Rondon relishing new era

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2726 on: December 01, 2017, 08:48:55 AM »
I'll be happy to hold my hands up and admit I was wrong about Rondon if he can manage to play at a similar level to what he's shown in the last 2 games for the remainder of the season.
 He has looked a completely different player, he's starting to use his body to better effect when holding onto the ball and also using it to out muscle defenders when running with/for the ball.
 That 25 yrd shot onto the bar on Tuesday was something I never thought I'd see from him (having the confidence to shoot from there I mean... not missing :P)
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2727 on: December 01, 2017, 08:54:24 AM »
I'll be happy to hold my hands up and admit I was wrong about Rondon if he can manage to play at a similar level to what he's shown in the last 2 games for the remainder of the season.
 He has looked a completely different player, he's starting to use his body to better effect when holding onto the ball and also using it to out muscle defenders when running with/for the ball.
 That 25 yrd shot onto the bar on Tuesday was something I never thought I'd see from him (having the confidence to shoot from there I mean... not missing :P)

I will have to join you on this one Hull. Even I gave up on him towards the end but I thought he looked quite good the other night. It will be interesting to see how he fits into Pardews set up.

He looked as keen as mustard on Tuesday which was a refreshing change......hopefully it can only get better for him, and us.
MAGA!

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2728 on: December 01, 2017, 09:14:08 AM »
You will never see the best of any player or team if you don't play to there strengths
Let's hope Alan starts doing that Saturday.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2729 on: December 02, 2017, 07:02:54 PM »
Must admit I had completely given up with him. Playing much, much better, but still do not think he will ever be a prolific goalscorer.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2730 on: December 02, 2017, 07:07:29 PM »
Must admit I had completely given up with him. Playing much, much better, but still do not think he will ever be a prolific goalscorer.

Didn't have any chances today. Had one superb header against 2 defenders that went just wide. The other 2 wasted all the presentable chances.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2731 on: December 02, 2017, 07:48:46 PM »
Think he's played really well these last few games. Now we're higher up the pitch, I'd like to see us get crosses into him and give him more to work on. Can't fault his effort and desire since Pulis has gone - looks re-energised.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2732 on: December 03, 2017, 07:00:51 PM »
Nobody's criticising his strength and 100% commitment, which you need when playing as a target man holding the ball up etc. Pardew also praised his performance.
My judge of a top striker is, is he clinical in front of goal. A good example is how he does in a one against one dribbling towards a keeper. A good striker should score most times. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd be surprised if Rondon was able to put the ball in the net more than 2 times out of 10. 
Pardew also said players need to be a bit more calm in front of goal, but of course he might have had JayRod in mind from Saturday, to whom this should equally apply.
Of course under the previous managers' system, such scoring opportnities were extremly rare. .
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2733 on: December 03, 2017, 07:10:26 PM »
Nobody's criticising his strength and 100% commitment, which you need when playing as a target man holding the ball up etc. Pardew also praised his performance.
My judge of a top striker is, is he clinical in front of goal. A good example is how he does in a one against one dribbling towards a keeper. A good striker should score most times. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd be surprised if Rondon was able to put the ball in the net more than 2 times out of 10. 
Pardew also said players need to be a bit more calm in front of goal, but of course he might have had JayRod in mind from Saturday, to whom this should equally apply.
Of course under the previous managers' system, such scoring opportnities were extremly rare. .

I know Rondon's no Thierry Henry on the finishing scale, but I see this criticism a lot and I don't get it. In the time he's been here he can't have had more than 3 or 4 one on ones? It's not like he's wasting chances regularly, anything better than a half chance and he normally puts it away.

The problem we have is that Rondon is usually heavily involved in the build up but all of our most presentable chances have been falling to dross like HRK and McClean. We need creative players like Chadli, Phillips and Brunt back into the team so Rondon gets the service.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2734 on: December 03, 2017, 07:34:35 PM »
I don't recollect Benteke being a good one on one finisher, he isnt that sort of CF, neither is Rondon, Even the King wasn't a player who regularly broke through in a one on one.

There are differing sorts of strikers and it is unfair to run Rondon down because he isn't a certain "type"
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2735 on: December 03, 2017, 08:07:51 PM »
No surprise to me really, used to urine me off that people were so critical of him when he had literally no support at times and three defenders to contend with, though you could see he had given up toward the end of the Pulis dictatorship, but who could blame him.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2736 on: December 03, 2017, 08:16:37 PM »
I don't recollect Benteke being a good one on one finisher, he isnt that sort of CF, neither is Rondon, Even the King wasn't a player who regularly broke through in a one on one.

There are differing sorts of strikers and it is unfair to run Rondon down because he isn't a certain "type"

It's about being calm in those sort of situations. I think Rondon snatches too much at his chances, maybe because they've being coming all too rarely. The best strikers don't panic in front of goal.

I agree some strikers get alot of their goals from headers, which Rondon has proved to be good at, or long range shots, and he has got a powerful if somewhat wayward strike.
But you will always get those situations in front of goal where a striker has to be cool and do the right thing, and I'm not sure he's the guy who can deliver on that.
Maybe however, that's something we have to accept for a club of our resources, that  Rondon is as good as it gets. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2737 on: December 03, 2017, 10:06:37 PM »
It's about being calm in those sort of situations. I think Rondon snatches too much at his chances, maybe because they've being coming all too rarely. The best strikers don't panic in front of goal.

I agree some strikers get alot of their goals from headers, which Rondon has proved to be good at, or long range shots, and he has got a powerful if somewhat wayward strike.
But you will always get those situations in front of goal where a striker has to be cool and do the right thing, and I'm not sure he's the guy who can deliver on that.
Maybe however, that's something we have to accept for a club of our resources, that  Rondon is as good as it gets.

Nail on the head... Eventually.

If rondon leaves it will be back to a European Champions League lesser light, or to China for massive money. He is a very good player in the grand scheme of things.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

vrabbit

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2738 on: December 04, 2017, 06:13:15 PM »

stats from ESPNFC.com

'14-'15 with Zenit: 39 shots, 23 on goal, 17 goals.
'13-'14 with Zenit/Rubin/Venezuela: 46/26/24.
'12-'13 with Rubin/Vzla: 34/20/13.

although in fairness I don't know how well kept those stats are, his numbers dating back to Malaga seem to be a bit different.

'11-'12 with Malaga/Vzla: 101/44/12.
'10-'11: 74/31/16.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2739 on: December 04, 2017, 07:30:30 PM »
Not a natural goal scorer, average at best!

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2740 on: December 04, 2017, 07:34:20 PM »
Better than average. He's a good player at this level who just needed his confidence back.
the regime don't like it man

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2741 on: December 05, 2017, 12:19:14 AM »
Rondon's a very good player who's been starved of confidence, opportunities and support by a very poor attacking tactician for the last 2 years. He had a great run at one point where there was talk of him moving onto bigger clubs for a short while, these weren't lucky shots, he was putting them away regularly with some conviction and showing some real prowess. Although that was a streak of good form, I believe the Rondon is capable of a lot more than he's credited for.

I think he's not been giving it 100% for a while because he knows that he's going to get next to no support, and we're going to see a different Rondon over the coming months. Only time will tell, but I think he's a class act and we'd be silly to sell him on. Come the end of the season he'll be regarded as a very good player again by the fanbase.
Well if I've been slagging him off and it's not because he ain't very good it's because he hasn't been giving 100% (trying) then that's bloody worse I can forgive someone who isn't very good but tries but i wont can't and won't forgive someone for not giving 100% no matter what the reasons may be.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2742 on: December 05, 2017, 12:27:15 AM »
Well if I've been slagging him off and it's not because he ain't very good it's because he hasn't been giving 100% (trying) then that's bloody worse I can forgive someone who isn't very good but tries but i wont can't and won't forgive someone for not giving 100% no matter what the reasons may be.

In theory i agree, but in reality i think i'd struggle running the channels for balls 30 foot over my head for 2 solid years and i love this club.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2743 on: December 06, 2017, 02:36:20 PM »

You said Robson Kanu was a better player if I recall correctly...  :-X

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2744 on: December 06, 2017, 02:41:47 PM »
You said Robson Kanu was a better player if I recall correctly...  :-X

for me he was under pulis but Alan might play to Rondons strengths, the jury is now out good and proper
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2745 on: December 06, 2017, 02:43:10 PM »
Already seeing a better player , he'll never be deadly but Rondons better than the majority of what we have seen here so far.
Play him in and he takes some knocking off the ball , 60 yard punts to his neck are no good.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2746 on: December 06, 2017, 02:45:47 PM »

for me he was under pulis but Alan might play to Rondons strengths, the jury is now out good and proper

59 said once he was our worst striker for 20 years or something

I'm sure he regrets those comments, maybe heat of the moment.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2747 on: December 06, 2017, 03:38:39 PM »
59 said once he was our worst striker for 20 years or something

I'm sure he regrets those comments, maybe heat of the moment.
I never regret anything i say, as ive said before i like is work rate but he is not and never will be a natural finisher.

section5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2748 on: December 06, 2017, 06:21:49 PM »
I never regret anything i say, as ive said before i like is work rate but he is not and never will be a natural finisher.

Who would you say has been our most natural finisher you've seen in your time? In the 20 odd years I've watched the Albion I'd have to say ive not seen many natural finishers barring saido/odemwingie who I would put in that category lee hughes aswell he was very clinical.  You could argue super Bob in there who scored some crackers but I'd class him (like rondon) more of an old fashioned striker. Remember Andy Hunt scoring a good few goals for us, my first game i think he scored a hat trick against Grimsby but I probably couldn't comment on if he was a natural finisher or not. Goodman/Bull/Regis again wouldn't be able to comment.

Now what would be our worst every strikers?
Who I've seen:
De Freitas
Mickey Evans ?
James Quinn

Wow

Edit: my apologies sir Kevin for leaving you out the list
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 08:49:57 PM by section5 »

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2749 on: December 06, 2017, 06:31:18 PM »
Who would you say has been our most natural finisher you've seen in your time? In the 20 odd years I've watched the Albion I'd have to say ive not seen many natural finishers barring saido/odemwingie who I would put in that category lee hughes aswell he was very clinical.  You could argue super Bob in there who scored some crackers but I'd class him (like rondon) more of an old fashioned striker. Remember Andy Hunt scoring a good few goals for us, my first game i think he scored a hat trick against Grimsby but I probably couldn't comment on if he was a natural finisher or not. Goodman/Bull/Regis again wouldn't be able to comment.

Now what would be our worst every strikers?
Who I've seen:
De Freitas
Mickey Evans ?
James Quinn

Wow
Phillips ?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP