Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 718331 times)

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #2625 on: May 26, 2019, 11:37:34 PM »
Latest e and s article states we have already interviewed Hughton and Jokanovic with Labbadia due for talks tomorrow. Another candidate to be interviewed later in the week. That’s the calibre of manager we should be going for so hopefully the likes of Cowley are just smokescreens.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2626 on: May 26, 2019, 11:41:01 PM »
Why would we do that and engineer a complete waste of time?

THere is no engineering, that would imply we are aware of his demands and already rejected them before meeting him. The board know he will ask for some kind of figure and chances are likely that once they hear that figure they will write him off. I really hope i am wrong.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2627 on: May 26, 2019, 11:45:39 PM »
THere is no engineering, that would imply we are aware of his demands and already rejected them before meeting him. The board know he will ask for some kind of figure and chances are likely that once they hear that figure they will write him off. I really hope i am wrong.

I think wage parameters would have already been discussed with his agent or it is pointless him being interviewed.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2628 on: May 26, 2019, 11:46:20 PM »
Latest e and s article states we have already interviewed Hughton and Jokanovic with Labbadia due for talks tomorrow. Another candidate to be interviewed later in the week. That’s the calibre of manager we should be going for so hopefully the likes of Cowley are just smokescreens.

WHat i don't understand about the SJ thing is why did they speak to him again? He was too costly before and now we have less money it makes even less sense.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2629 on: May 26, 2019, 11:47:10 PM »
I think wage parameters would have already been discussed with his agent or it is pointless him being interviewed.

See SJ in March. ALso it's not his wages that will be the problem i imagine it will be the transfer side of things.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2630 on: May 27, 2019, 12:00:35 AM »
Ranieri will be up for grabs after the weekend.  ;)
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2631 on: May 27, 2019, 12:16:28 AM »
I have trawled as best as I can through various German media reports concerning Labaddia's departure from Wolfsberg and it boiled down to his working relationship with Managing Director Jörg Schmadtke it would appear that the two men just did not like each other. They seemed to disagree on everything. Funding for players does not seem to have been an issue.

Digging a little deeper I think that Labaddia can be volatile. There was an incident in his time at Stuttgart where he seems to have flown into a Keeganesque rant taking pot shots at all and sundry including the Club's Chairman and Sporting Director. He has a reputation as a bit of a fire fighter his CV has some impressive names on it but generally he has got those jobs when the clubs have been at a low ebb. He has for the most part rallied them but very rarely stuck around for long afterwards. 

In general Bundesliga Coach's salaries are a good deal lower than their Premier League counterparts. Unless a club has a lock on Champions League status (Bayern and Dortmund) then a good salary is in the region of £1m to £2m.

I am not optimistic largely because I find it a strange career move for Coach whose stock is probably at it's highest leaving a Bundesliga side for a relative backwater. Yet in Germany maybe he has just run out of road he's fallen out with too many people in the game seen as a little difficult but will get the call when a big club find itself in a bit of a hole. Maybe he needs a different type of challenge but I would have thought he would have better opportnities.

If we don't land him maybe we can be disappointed but even to get to the formal talks stage is some sort of progress.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2632 on: May 27, 2019, 12:35:02 AM »
He has already stated that he is tired of managing in Germany and wants to work in the PL that's why he has turned down lucrative offers from China. He believes that we may give him the chance to do after one year.

If he took half a blind bit of notice of us last year he will have noticed that we sleepwalked to 4th without direction and with 2 different novices in charge.

Thanks for your post. Its interesting and ii appreciate it when people take time and do their own research.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2633 on: May 27, 2019, 12:36:34 AM »
Just on the topic of whether wages might be a stumbling block for Labbadia, I've provided a link for Bundesliga managers' wages. It looks slightly out of date as its got Labbadia's  predecessor at Wolfsburg, but it gives you the gist of what wages they are on. 

https://www.vermoegenmagazin.de/bundesliga-trainer-gehalt/
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2634 on: May 27, 2019, 09:13:56 AM »
Technical director Luke Dowling meeting Bruno Labbadia about West Brom job

Matt Wilson also reported that Dowling has already interviewed Hughton and Jokanovic, Personally, for me, it has to be Jokanovic!

Source: https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2019/05/26/technical-director-luke-dowling-meeting-bruno-labbadia-about-west-brom-job/
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2635 on: May 27, 2019, 09:27:23 AM »

Matt Wilson also reported that Dowling has already interviewed Hughton and Jokanovic, Personally, for me, it has to be Jokanovic!

Source: https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2019/05/26/technical-director-luke-dowling-meeting-bruno-labbadia-about-west-brom-job/

If Jokanovic has interviewed and is keen then you can make that 2! Labbadia seems to be the wildcard option now and is definitely a positive alternative to Jokanovic for sure. I may ask Wilson on Twitter if that means SJ has been interviewed again.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2636 on: May 27, 2019, 09:32:07 AM »

Yes, we know and it might be if he moderates his wage demands. I don't see a £40k a week job being open anywhere certainly in the Championship and looking at the Premier League all the coaches seem reasonably settled. The one exception is Sarri  but Jokanovic to Chelsea? There might be lucrative jobs in China or Russia open to him but within the mainstream European Leagues I doubt it.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2637 on: May 27, 2019, 10:10:48 AM »
WHat i don't understand about the SJ thing is why did they speak to him again? He was too costly before and now we have less money it makes even less sense.
Not a shred of evidence to support your statement. How did you come to this conclusion?

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2638 on: May 27, 2019, 10:16:08 AM »
Yes, we know and it might be if he moderates his wage demands. I don't see a £40k a week job being open anywhere certainly in the Championship and looking at the Premier League all the coaches seem reasonably settled. The one exception is Sarri  but Jokanovic to Chelsea? There might be lucrative jobs in China or Russia open to him but within the mainstream European Leagues I doubt it.

Is it really that obvious?  ;)  ;D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2639 on: May 27, 2019, 10:37:56 AM »
Just had a warming thought, wouldn't it be great to announce our new Head Coach shortly after the conclusion of the Play Off final today?

Just think of all the positivity that would generate amongst our fans if Vile won and even more so if they lose.

The caveat to this though, in order of preference, it has to be either

1. Jokanovic
2. Labaddia
3. Hughton
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2640 on: May 27, 2019, 10:44:33 AM »
I asked Matt Wilson and his reference to SJ were the talks in March, so you'd think if he was plan A it would be done now, so, sorry AlbionFan but i think he is possibly a fallback plan, and we all know what happens with them; they join other clubs and we end up with plan C, D, E or worse!

Fingers crossed Labbadia comes off.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2641 on: May 27, 2019, 10:53:54 AM »
Not a shred of evidence to support your statement. How did you come to this conclusion?

Multiple journalists reported it. Interested to know why you think they didn't go for him then?  Only reason I can think of is that Shan was the preferred alternative and if so why don't they just give him the job now?

There is little concrete evidence on the majority of this forum. That's the point of it. Discussion and opinions. None of us are on the board at the Albion so all we can go on are comments from reputable media employees.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2642 on: May 27, 2019, 11:01:33 AM »
Just had a warming thought, wouldn't it be great to announce our new Head Coach shortly after the conclusion of the Play Off final today?

Just think of all the positivity that would generate amongst our fans if Vile won and even more so if they lose.

The caveat to this though, in order of preference, it has to be either

1. Jokanovic
2. Labaddia
3. Hughton

And the winner is.... 4. Appleton.

Just kidding, I hope.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2643 on: May 27, 2019, 11:17:20 AM »

The £40k a week wage demand were widely reported as the reason why Forest cooled their interest in him when they were looking to replace Karanka it has been assumed that when we spoke to him in March this was also a stumbling block.

I asked Matt Wilson and his reference to SJ were the talks in March, so you'd think if he was plan A it would be done now, so, sorry AlbionFan but i think he is possibly a fallback plan, and we all know what happens with them; they join other clubs and we end up with plan C, D, E or worse!

Fingers crossed Labbadia comes off.

Again I wouldn't read too much into this. After speaking to Labaddia and Hughton we are at the same stage as we were with  Jokanovic and maybe a fourth candidate (Cowley?) then the next set of discussions really get down to brass tacks. Candidate wants it we want the candidate appointment gets made.

My view on Jokanovic has always been that the salary would have been a major problem and unless that changes or the reports are inaccurate he was and remains a non-runner.

However the circumstances that the club found itself (or more acurately put themselves in) might have put him off. He had between 12 and 14 games through a very busy part of the season where he would have very little chance to do much work with the players and many of those players weren't going to be around next season in any event. He might have decided that was a no win situation and while not disintersted it was not the right time to get involved.

I expect an appointment to be made by the end of the week.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2644 on: May 27, 2019, 11:24:41 AM »

Multiple journalists reported it. Interested to know why you think they didn't go for him then?  Only reason I can think of is that Shan was the preferred alternative and if so why don't they just give him the job now?

There is little concrete evidence on the majority of this forum. That's the point of it. Discussion and opinions. None of us are on the board at the Albion so all we can go on are comments from reputable media employees.
It might be more accurate to say that one journalist reported it, and it was copied by quite a few others. Honestly don't even know if we spoke to him back in March. As you may have gathered I'm skeptical of what is written in the press. Most of what they write is just made up, though I suppose they will strike lucky one time, and then claim wonderful inside knowledge.
Wasn't having a go at you, but you seemed to be stating the bit I put in bold as a fact, when I think it was anything but.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2645 on: May 27, 2019, 11:26:04 AM »
The £40k a week wage demand were widely reported as the reason why Forest cooled their interest in him when they were looking to replace Karanka it has been assumed that when we spoke to him in March this was also a stumbling block.

Again I wouldn't read too much into this. After speaking to Labaddia and Hughton we are at the same stage as we were with  Jokanovic and maybe a fourth candidate (Cowley?) then the next set of discussions really get down to brass tacks. Candidate wants it we want the candidate appointment gets made.

My view on Jokanovic has always been that the salary would have been a major problem and unless that changes or the reports are inaccurate he was and remains a non-runner.

However the circumstances that the club found itself (or more acurately put themselves in) might have put him off. He had between 12 and 14 games through a very busy part of the season where he would have very little chance to do much work with the players and many of those players weren't going to be around next season in any event. He might have decided that was a no win situation and while not disintersted it was not the right time to get involved.

I expect an appointment to be made by the end of the week.

Who do you think it will be, and who do you want it to be?

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2646 on: May 27, 2019, 11:27:16 AM »
40k a week is approx £2m per year.

Genuine question, what do we think we are looking to spend - £1m ? £1.5m ?

I'd have thought we could afford £2m if it meant we got the man we wanted, as long as we don't get into contracts longer than 2 years and maybe with some sort of break clause after a year.  Obviously if we don't get promoted within two years the chances are the manager won't stay beyond that.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2647 on: May 27, 2019, 11:34:30 AM »
It might be more accurate to say that one journalist reported it, and it was copied by quite a few others. Honestly don't even know if we spoke to him back in March. As you may have gathered I'm skeptical of what is written in the press. Most of what they write is just made up, though I suppose they will strike lucky one time, and then claim wonderful inside knowledge.
Wasn't having a go at you, but you seemed to be stating the bit I put in bold as a fact, when I think it was anything but.

Thats fair enough, i didnt take it as having a dig mate but more than 1 journalist has reported his wage demands, i possibly should have clarified i meant not just for us  but WBA, Boro and FOrest journos have all reported he wants £2m and thats why no ones gone for him after holding informal talks.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2648 on: May 27, 2019, 12:01:34 PM »
40k a week is approx £2m per year.

Genuine question, what do we think we are looking to spend - £1m ? £1.5m ?

I'd have thought we could afford £2m if it meant we got the man we wanted, as long as we don't get into contracts longer than 2 years and maybe with some sort of break clause after a year.  Obviously if we don't get promoted within two years the chances are the manager won't stay beyond that.

Managers never sign 2-year contacts, always 3 or 4. It’s all about the level of payoff.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2649 on: May 27, 2019, 12:11:59 PM »
Micky Melon, linked with our job, is now the bookies favourite to take charge at Swansea.