Author Topic: FORMULA ONE THREAD  (Read 46270 times)

mikehy

• Youth Baggie

Re: FORMULA ONE THREAD
« Reply #275 on: December 17, 2021, 10:32:17 AM »
Where did he get the personality from?
this is boring now

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #276 on: December 17, 2021, 11:39:34 AM »
this is boring now

I have no problem with adult discourse and serious reasoned debate, but some replies are tedious and playgroundish.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #277 on: December 17, 2021, 12:34:26 PM »
F1 2021 Stats:

Wins: Verstappen - 10, Hamilton - 8

Pole Positions: Verstappen - 10, Hamilton - 5

Fastest Laps: Verstappen - 6, Hamilton - 6

Podiums: Verstappen - 18, Hamilton - 17

Laps Lead: Verstappen - 652, Hamilton - 297

The stats don’t lie, the best driver this season won and is the deserved F1 World Champion..

It was verstappen season

Stats ARE lies, they are created to try to justify lies, by those who would prefer that their weak or mistaken reasoning is not looked at too closely in order mask the fundamental bias behind their figures.
in this case they are only showing outcomes and tell us nothing about any causes of those outcomes and therefore cannot be used to define which is the better driver, only which was the driver the tv companies needed to win to make the better story.

''LIES DAMNED LIES AND STATISTICS" (forgot the origin- sorry)

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #278 on: December 17, 2021, 02:10:21 PM »
Stats ARE lies, they are created to try to justify lies, by those who would prefer that their weak or mistaken reasoning is not looked at too closely in order mask the fundamental bias behind their figures.
in this case they are only showing outcomes and tell us nothing about any causes of those outcomes and therefore cannot be used to define which is the better driver, only which was the driver the tv companies needed to win to make the better story.

Benjamin Disraeli, I believe
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #279 on: December 18, 2021, 04:56:10 PM »
Benjamin Disraeli, I believe

Yes I believe it was sir - thank you.

sean wba

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #280 on: December 19, 2021, 06:55:57 AM »

stats are lies? I'm sorry mate but how do you work that out if you don't mind me asking?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 06:57:46 AM by sean wba »

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #281 on: December 19, 2021, 02:22:52 PM »
Statistics are most often used, as in the case in question, to justify an opinion not as a tool to exact a truth. Bare numbers, as in the case of statistics can never tell the complete story. Much depends on the background and external factors behind those numbers which are either difficult, not economic or just impossible, to ascertain mathematically. The qualitative aspect of any data has to have at least equal weight to the numerical data in order to extrapolate any meaningful assumptions.

The simple statistical measure of Verstappen winning/leading more races than Hamilton, and gaining more points this season does not prove that this season Verstappen was the best driver. The quoted numbers take no account of the times Verstappen was seen to be guilty of, at best poor, probably dangerous antics behind the wheel, and did not receive appropriate punishment. Previous incidents of the sort of driving they actually found Verstappen guilty of had resulted in black flag disqualification and loss of points.

The 'statistics' quoted take no note of the fact that both drivers were level on points going into the final race, nor that Hamilton was over 20 seconds ahead when the safety car was employed, nor that the official original and correct decision, would have meant a win for Hamilton. Yet again they altered the decision and ruled to give Verstappen an advantage, but still one in which it was a probability that Hamilton might win. Then it was arranged for only certain of the lapped cars to unlap themselves. An occurrence never before allowed, and against a written part of the rules.  This ensured that Verstappen would not have to overtake cars Hamilton had already passed, this time giving Verstappen a virtually unassailable advantage. Best driver -without official assistance? - I think not

The statistics quoted do not tell any of the truth behind the events and can therefore only be judged in this instance as lies. Just one example of statistics masking the truth. Statistics never tell the whole truth and are subject to manipulation, and it has become the expected norm for this manipulation to take place. Because of this, unless backed by qualitative evidence statistics cannot be believed. Something that cannot be believed because it is usually untrue is a lie.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 02:27:07 PM by wodenson46 »

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #282 on: December 20, 2021, 11:35:26 PM »
F1 2021 Stats:

Wins: Verstappen - 10, Hamilton - 8

Pole Positions: Verstappen - 10, Hamilton - 5

Fastest Laps: Verstappen - 6, Hamilton - 6

Podiums: Verstappen - 18, Hamilton - 17

Laps Lead: Verstappen - 652, Hamilton - 297

The stats don’t lie, the best driver this season won and is the deserved F1 World Champion..

It was verstappen season

IMO, the fact that LH won 8 grand prix's from 5 pole positions, suggests that he is the more skillful driver.

As I understood it the Red Bull car was more maneuverable, but the Mercedes was faster on the straights.

If that's the case then LH displayed a lot of skill to win when not on pole position.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #283 on: December 21, 2021, 08:41:48 AM »
IMO, the fact that LH won 8 grand prix's from 5 pole positions, suggests that he is the more skillful driver.

As I understood it the Red Bull car was more maneuverable, but the Mercedes was faster on the straights.

If that's the case then LH displayed a lot of skill to win when not on pole position.
from what I remember, two of those three victories were Bahrain (where Lewis was repeatedly told to stop corner cutting) and Britain (we all know what happened, needless to say your opponent can’t beat you if he doesn’t finish).

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #284 on: July 03, 2022, 03:19:10 PM »
Awful crash at Sliverstone. Race stopped RED FLAG.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

Topman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #285 on: July 03, 2022, 10:03:06 PM »
Awful crash at Sliverstone. Race stopped RED FLAG.

Surprised no one has posted on this. I watched both this and an awful crash in gp2 this morning. Two drivers could of easily died today. Thank you who ever got the halo designed and implemented. The best thing f1 have ever done. I must admit I hated it at first but my god it’s a game changer. I know it’s many years after senna died but I’m sure it’s his greatest legacy

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #286 on: October 26, 2022, 08:06:51 PM »
BREAKING: Sauber will compete as the Audi factory team from 2026, using an Audi power unit

#F1 @audisport
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Topman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #287 on: April 07, 2024, 09:32:15 AM »
Anyone of you posters in the past still watching this? Dreadful is how I’d sum up f1 at the moment. The same person and team  literally winning every single race. I know f1 has always had a dominant team but this feels worse than ever. Yet the broadcasters seem oblivious to the fact it’s boring

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #288 on: April 07, 2024, 10:42:26 AM »
Anyone of you posters in the past still watching this? Dreadful is how I’d sum up f1 at the moment. The same person and team  literally winning every single race. I know f1 has always had a dominant team but this feels worse than ever. Yet the broadcasters seem oblivious to the fact it’s boring

Gave up on it some time ago. I thought the new owners were going to make it more exciting and competitive, they have managed the exact opposite with some style
MAGA!

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #289 on: April 07, 2024, 10:44:33 AM »

Spot on
I've given up now it's just too predictable