Author Topic: Karlan Grant  (Read 290642 times)

richjonawba

• WBA Coach

Re: Karlan Grant
« Reply #375 on: September 27, 2020, 08:30:05 AM »
Seen on another post it's £5 million loan with £12 million permanent if we survive, thats 17 million which seems a lot for a unproven striker at this level. Has to be better value around Europe.

Hopefully by the time we pay the £12mill he will be a proven striker at this level. I think the terms described are probably just about fair for both sides, would make sense considering the protracted negotiations.

The main excitement about this or any other striker signing would be us not having to see Kanu maybe ever again!

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #376 on: September 27, 2020, 08:45:14 AM »
Haven’t seen much of this guy but his record, age and the type of player he is seems to be everything we need. Really hope we get this signing through. Together with the return of Krov this would be a major boost and hopefully Bilic will be happy with what’s been done this window.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #377 on: September 27, 2020, 09:56:15 AM »
Hopefully by the time we pay the £12mill he will be a proven striker at this level. I think the terms described are probably just about fair for both sides, would make sense considering the protracted negotiations.

The main excitement about this or any other striker signing would be us not having to see Kanu maybe ever again!
Bilic has his favourite's  that's the only reason I can fathom the sight of Phillips and Hal being given a run out. Oh yeah and the statue in goal.

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #378 on: September 27, 2020, 10:28:15 AM »
Must be honest, Phillip's offers little for me now. He did some pathetic free kicks. There was one point when livermore and Furlong did more running down the wing than him and he had just come on.

We must have better options than him.
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

jharman292

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #379 on: September 27, 2020, 10:33:17 AM »
The idea that there is better value abroad is often flawed. There are some great forwards across Europe but there is also plenty of rubbish that simply can not do it in the Premier League.

Close to 80m was spent on Haller and Joelinton last summer and i would call neither a success.

Grant is young. He wants the move. He has scored a bag load of goals for a team that does not create too many clear cut chances. He also looked lively and bagged a few in the Premier League for a side that hardly created a sniff and went on to be relegated.

Considering the above and the fact that Watkins has just gone for close to 30m and i think Huddersfield have every right to ask for 15m - 18m in the current market.

Personally, I would feel a lot more confident spending the money on Grant based on all of the above, rather than take a complete gamble from abroad.

saml30

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #380 on: September 27, 2020, 10:40:46 AM »
Seen on another post it's £5 million loan with £12 million permanent if we survive, thats 17 million which seems a lot for a unproven striker at this level. Has to be better value around Europe.

If we have to pay the £12M for surviving I’d like to think that Grant will have had a big hand in it, therefore making the deal completely worth it
Blue and White Barmy Army !!!

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #381 on: September 27, 2020, 10:46:58 AM »
The idea that there is better value abroad is often flawed. There are some great forwards across Europe but there is also plenty of rubbish that simply can not do it in the Premier League.

Close to 80m was spent on Haller and Joelinton last summer and i would call neither a success.

Grant is young. He wants the move. He has scored a bag load of goals for a team that does not create too many clear cut chances. He also looked lively and bagged a few in the Premier League for a side that hardly created a sniff and went on to be relegated.

Considering the above and the fact that Watkins has just gone for close to 30m and i think Huddersfield have every right to ask for 15m - 18m in the current market.

Personally, I would feel a lot more confident spending the money on Grant based on all of the above, rather than take a complete gamble from abroad.

You make some very valid points.Should we sign him and he scores goals that keep us up his value will be way higher to us than the numbers involved up front.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #382 on: September 27, 2020, 11:20:16 AM »

Watkins tells you the English market is off it's collective trolley given the state of most clubs finances and the wider games collective situation no team should be spending millions on players it is madness that they are at all. However if they must because they are bankrolled by some billionaire or other they absolutely should not be spending more money than was spent last year on similar players, there is simply no need.

While overseas markets represent better value in general there is no saving some clubs from their own stupidity. There is nothing and I mean absolutely nothing in Joelinton's record that says "£40m striker" he had one half decent season in the Bundesliga plus a couple of good seasons in Austria. To put that into context Shon Weissman who scored a goal a game in Austria is a similar age to Joelinton went for £3.6m this summer. Heller is less stupid but would have been a reasonable punt for £6m which is what left Utrecht for rather than near £45m he left Germany for just 2 years latter.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Bakeyaface

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #383 on: September 27, 2020, 10:40:26 PM »
See Joseph Masi E&S tweet.....as always I did say my source was good  8)

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #384 on: September 27, 2020, 10:45:11 PM »
See Joseph Masi E&S tweet.....as always I did say my source was good  8)

Sounds hopeful. Would be good to get it done early this week.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #385 on: September 27, 2020, 10:45:30 PM »
Yup, you called it right. £5m for a loan fee is huge. I guess the club have decided they have to make some more creative deals in the current market. It does however feel that the move suits Huddersfield more than us. If we go down but Grant gets double figures, Huddersfield could get very rich out of this deal.

I hope wr follow it up by making an investment signing - somebody young from abroad or the lower leagues who initially goes out on loan. We will probably need them next season as we will have very few strikers.
Boing Boing

A5HB

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #386 on: September 27, 2020, 11:16:32 PM »
It’s a strange way to structure a deal but you can see why it’s an option. We are clearly very concerned about making big investments and committing to payments for big deals over the next few years.

The loan to buy therefore suits us, but equally Huddersfield need the money to reinvest.

What we are basically doing is making something akin to the first payment of a permanent deal now, giving them the money they need this summer, but without the risk of any future deal unless we stay up.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #387 on: September 27, 2020, 11:30:24 PM »
A truly awful deal. Grant is a good player but 5 million to loan him for 12 months only to lose him should we go down in a division he would be handy in is a farce.

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #388 on: September 27, 2020, 11:33:30 PM »
A truly awful deal. Grant is a good player but 5 million to loan him for 12 months only to lose him should we go down in a division he would be handy in is a farce.

He will score thr goals to keep us up so its irellivent  ;D

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #389 on: September 28, 2020, 12:15:10 AM »
So total deal costs £17m but one year costs £5m. The £5m is quite likely to have been the first installment on the permanent deal so from a purely cash flow point of view it's the same until the end of the season.

There is only one scenario where this is a bad deal it is where  Grant does well but we get relegated,  we sacrifice any resale value that we might otherwise accrue. If he flops  but we stay up we are obligated to buy him but that is no worse than the position we would have had in a permanent deal.

If he flops and we are relegated we lose the player who might be useful in the Championship but we have just proved that he can't hack it in the Premier League. If that is the case then he isn't worth £12m but that doesn't stop us going back to Huddersfield with a revised deal if we think he is worth persevering with. 

Or he really isn't very good and therefore we breath a sigh of relief as wave him off to Yorkshire

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

A5HB

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #390 on: September 28, 2020, 12:28:26 AM »
So total deal costs £17m but one year costs £5m. The £5m is quite likely to have been the first installment on the permanent deal so from a purely cash flow point of view it's the same until the end of the season.

There is only one scenario where this is a bad deal it is where  Grant does well but we get relegated,  we sacrifice any resale value that we might otherwise accrue. If he flops  but we stay up we are obligated to buy him but that is no worse than the position we would have had in a permanent deal.

If he flops and we are relegated we lose the player who might be useful in the Championship but we have just proved that he can't hack it in the Premier League. If that is the case then he isn't worth £12m but that doesn't stop us going back to Huddersfield with a revised deal if we think he is worth persevering with. 

Or he really isn't very good and therefore we breath a sigh of relief as wave him off to Yorkshire
I think this is a fair summary. We are taking away a lot of the financial risk in terms of big commitments after relegation, but with the added risk of losing the benefit of any value he gains during the loan if we can’t buy him.

Tony,Germany

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #391 on: September 28, 2020, 08:41:56 AM »
He will score thr goals to keep us up so its irellivent  ;D
So just playing devils advocate, what happens if he picks up a season ending injury not long after we sign him on loan.....then what, the window will be closed and we will be buggered....lol

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #392 on: September 28, 2020, 09:24:16 AM »
So just playing devils advocate, what happens if he picks up a season ending injury not long after we sign him on loan.....then what, the window will be closed and we will be buggered....lol

What’s the difference between that and us buying a striker who gets a season-ending injury?

LoxleyBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #393 on: September 28, 2020, 10:03:56 AM »
Effectively the equivalent of buying the player for 17 million with a 12 million release clause if relegated (except we only initially pay an installment of 5 million). 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 10:06:33 AM by LoxleyBaggie »

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #394 on: September 28, 2020, 10:30:56 AM »
It's just like a deposit really...
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #395 on: September 28, 2020, 10:44:59 AM »
Just the same as buying a player really, Perreira could get a season ending injury on saturday

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #396 on: September 28, 2020, 10:47:07 AM »
If it's the difference between starting him, or Austin / Kanu / Zohore, then it's a good deal. We clearly want him and the clock's ticking, However the deal is constructed, whether it's a good one or not, will only become clear once we see him in action.
Get it done and stop faffing about.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #397 on: September 28, 2020, 10:47:46 AM »
Just the same as buying a player really, Perreira could get a season ending injury on saturday

If he does I wouldn't like to be in your shoes Sunday  ;)

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #398 on: September 28, 2020, 12:39:38 PM »
Steve Madeley has just made a good point of even though we can sign Grant after next Monday's international deadline our other targets will not have that deadline if they are abroad.  So we need to get Grant done or another alternative by the end of next Monday.  If we don't get anyone in, Huddersfield's hand would then be stronger against any other domestic transfer options.

Tony,Germany

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #399 on: September 28, 2020, 12:47:32 PM »
The difference been that he is our player on a long contract (hopefully)
where as a season loan at 5 mill, is a lot more of a dodgy prospect with our squad that is very light on quality up front.....!
Hence Robbo is starting up front !!!