Author Topic: Talksport accusations of racism  (Read 5530 times)

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

Talksport accusations of racism
« on: March 13, 2019, 06:24:44 PM »
What can we do? It’s outrageous.

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

Re: Talksport accusations of racism
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 06:34:38 PM »
Ignore it.
Since Sky bought Talksport I have disregarded the dross that appears on the station.
The symbiotic relationship between the two awful organisations says everything.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 06:44:04 PM »
Needs the club to act really, well worded statement from lawyers to put that ginger cretin in his place but it’ll never happen sadly.

baggyman68

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 06:53:33 PM »
So if it's racist to sack More because he's black as per Talkshite, would it be racist to not sack him if he was incompetent at the job he was doing?

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 06:59:44 PM »
It's going to make clubs think more than twice before appointing a black manager if they know they'll be in for a storm of criticism if they sack him.  I think Moore's sacking was premature but a lot of other managers are sacked prematurely also.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 07:10:38 PM »
If you want to complain about about something you have seen or heard on the television, radio, a website or an app, refer it to:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv-radio-and-on-demand/how-to-report-a-complaint
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 07:39:55 PM »
If he's such a good manager that shouldn't have been sacked, I suppose the people accusing us of racism will want their clubs to be queueing up to appoint him as manager......................

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 08:53:39 PM »
Me personally, I have stopped listening to TalkSPORT, not going to change anything, but boycotts is the best bet. Maybe next time we are the commentary match on talkSPORT we should make our feelings known in song.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 09:03:53 PM »
While I find the whole thing a disgrace in connection with our club. He's had to backtrack a lot on his initial intent after it garnered such a negative reaction. He's spun it as a prompt to debate unconscious racial bias which is a good thing (in general). Hopefully the club have been in touch because that was clearly not his original intent.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 12:39:30 AM »
If our club was racist why did they hire him in the 1st place let alone give him a managerial job. Thick git.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 11:03:16 AM »
While I find the whole thing a disgrace in connection with our club. He's had to backtrack a lot on his initial intent after it garnered such a negative reaction. He's spun it as a prompt to debate unconscious racial bias which is a good thing (in general). Hopefully the club have been in touch because that was clearly not his original intent.

His original intent worked a treat, perfect clickbait and too many of us rose to it. He had to twist it round to "unconscious racism" due to the pelters he was getting and the fact he had and still has no evidence to back it up, it was cheap from a cheap station.

And he still refuses to say how many games he has seen !!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2019, 08:57:05 PM »
WEST BROM FANS UNFURL BANNER AT GRIFFIN PARK AFTER DURHAM RANT

Well done Baggies

Source: https://thisisfutbol.com/2019/03/blogs/west-brom-fans-unfurl-banner-at-griffin-park-after-durham-rant/
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2019, 10:22:09 PM »
Now he (and his station) should be totally ignored.
I can't think of a better description of this repulsive guy than the Guardian quote which appears in his Wikipedia page...
"expert phone-in troll, arrogantly spouting inflammatory football opinions in the hope of prompting some indignant phone rage from an uppity fan."

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2019, 10:35:12 PM »
Now he (and his station) should be totally ignored.
I can't think of a better description of this repulsive guy than the Guardian quote which appears in his Wikipedia page...
"expert phone-in troll, arrogantly spouting inflammatory football opinions in the hope of prompting some indignant phone rage from an uppity fan."

Problem is this was beyond the pale, and indignant and uppity don't begin to describe the emotions he's provoked.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

BigCyrille1975

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2019, 10:54:28 PM »
Danny Kelly show on Friday night (between 19:50 and 20:00), worth a listen. Hardly apologetic.

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2019, 09:58:09 AM »
I see the reptile has continued the argument on Twitter.
Sadly, I can forsee that some people will rise to his baiting (again).
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 10:16:04 AM by Wigmore »

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2019, 01:53:58 PM »
Without wishing to stoke the fires on this debate there are a few points I think need to be made.

If the two key protagonists in this debate namely Adrian Durham and Olly Holt have a valid point it is this that BAME coaches are generally under represented in the ranks of the professional game. However adopting the hiring and firing of  Darren Moore as a cause célèbre demonstrates a certain amount of wonky thinking on their part.

By way of background before Darren Moore was appointed I got into a bit of a twitter debate with Olly Holt (Chief Sportswriter on the Mail on Sunday). His basic premise was that not hiring Darren would be "racist" I argued regardless of his race Moore was too inexperienced for our role at this point in his career a certain amount of back and forth followed. I suggested that if Olly wanted to find racism he might want to have a look at the front end of his own newspaper.

My view might have been vindicated although I don't agree with the dismissal to then level a charge of racism at the club even at the subconscious level does not follow any logic. Yet we circle back to the fact that BAME coaches are under represented in the professional game.

Rather than take aim at an individual decision the bigger issue in all probability is the utterly ramshackle hiring and firing processes that bedevil football and probably have a far greater impact than any subconscious bias. However this is difficult and in beyond a the glib headline grabbing rant.

Equally much of he stock tabloid output revolves round the hiring and firing coaches where would be without the countless phone in debates on Talksport or the acres of print about whether coach x or y has "lost the dressing room" after 3 defeats. Olly and Adrian are part of the problem if they want to take a swipe at football's hiring and firing practices I would be happy to engage in a debate.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2019, 05:24:08 PM »
Without wishing to stoke the fires on this debate there are a few points I think need to be made.

If the two key protagonists in this debate namely Adrian Durham and Olly Holt have a valid point it is this that BAME coaches are generally under represented in the ranks of the professional game. However adopting the hiring and firing of  Darren Moore as a cause célèbre demonstrates a certain amount of wonky thinking on their part.

By way of background before Darren Moore was appointed I got into a bit of a twitter debate with Olly Holt (Chief Sportswriter on the Mail on Sunday). His basic premise was that not hiring Darren would be "racist" I argued regardless of his race Moore was too inexperienced for our role at this point in his career a certain amount of back and forth followed. I suggested that if Olly wanted to find racism he might want to have a look at the front end of his own newspaper.

My view might have been vindicated although I don't agree with the dismissal to then level a charge of racism at the club even at the subconscious level does not follow any logic. Yet we circle back to the fact that BAME coaches are under represented in the professional game.

Rather than take aim at an individual decision the bigger issue in all probability is the utterly ramshackle hiring and firing processes that bedevil football and probably have a far greater impact than any subconscious bias. However this is difficult and in beyond a the glib headline grabbing rant.

Equally much of he stock tabloid output revolves round the hiring and firing coaches where would be without the countless phone in debates on Talksport or the acres of print about whether coach x or y has "lost the dressing room" after 3 defeats. Olly and Adrian are part of the problem if they want to take a swipe at football's hiring and firing practices I would be happy to engage in a debate.
Shall I dial the number for you?
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2019, 06:09:03 PM »
Firstly, how many BAME presenters or staff do they have?

Secondly, the UK is 87% white. Is it a surprise that there are more white coaches? You don't go to Nigeria and ask why there aren't more white people in office.

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2019, 08:05:42 PM »
The reason theres not many black managers is due to the fact they don't go and get there coaching badges. That was a quote from Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank. I new this stupid subject would be brought up now Graham Jones was also fired so there's your diversity talks.. t is a joke stirring it up. .

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2019, 08:31:20 PM »
TalkSPORT ore match brought up the racism thing again with the sacking of Chris Powell thrown into the mix. Matt Murray was having none of it saying that these black managers were given the jobs by the clubs, and implied the managers were sacked for footballing reasons. He’s quite a good summariser for a dog head.