Author Topic: Paul Gascoigne  (Read 23579 times)

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

Re: Paul Gascoigne
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2014, 09:57:35 PM »
Waste of space of a man, been given numerous chances and many offers of help, selfish git who is using up the National Health resources.
Baggie in Southampton

charliemike

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2014, 10:06:38 PM »
Anybody who has an addiction will realize they are not easily cured. With a little wisdom and compassion I feel a LITTLE sorry for the bloke . Btw I can remember the time when booze was mainly sold in pubs . Now it's everywhere at all times and cheap . By all means mock the man but also realize the big people who are making money are the real scumbags .

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2014, 10:08:05 PM »
Cant believe he is 47! 7 years younger than me but looks about 70. Sad to say another George Best in the making. Many people have tried and failed to help him, but will not help himself

charliemike

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2014, 10:23:04 PM »
In this chaps career of say 15 years I wonder how much he has paid in income tax  and national insurance . He has probably payed more than some who work 50 years . There are those who pay nowt and those who flood in to our country . It is they who are clogging up the nhs . I have only a certain amount of time for him . It's sad  isn't it .

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2014, 10:26:07 PM »
Bless him, football will help him IMO, take up Arrys offer Gazza.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2014, 08:07:50 AM »
Lineaker was on the news last night saying how many times he'd been offered help.
Looks like a man on borrowed time to me
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2014, 09:32:31 AM »
Bless him, football will help him IMO, take up Arrys offer Gazza.

But how many more times, he has made his life choices, plenty of people more deserving of help than him, sorry, I feel more sorry for the owner of his Sandbanks flat that he has probably wrecked than him.

Wife beater as well before you feel too sorry for him.
Baggie in Southampton

BRIAN

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2014, 09:47:09 AM »
There are too many people who decry the likes of Gazza, but have little understanding of the background and reasons for his sad condition. It is an illness just as cancer is. Don't rush to say that it is not comparable because it is, in that one cannot avoid either. Smokers are addicts as are drinkers. Both need to be stopped ASAP, then problems will lessen. Those who have made some offensive remarks should be ashamed, and hope that those close to them do not go down the same slippery path as Paul Gascoine.

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2014, 11:33:38 AM »
Waste of space of a man, been given numerous chances and many offers of help, selfish git who is using up the National Health resources.

I really hope you don't have a loved one fall victim to addiction.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2014, 12:25:30 PM »
But how many more times, he has made his life choices, plenty of people more deserving of help than him, sorry, I feel more sorry for the owner of his Sandbanks flat that he has probably wrecked than him.

Wife beater as well before you feel too sorry for him.

Would you berate someone with cancer or depression?

charliemike

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2014, 01:07:34 PM »
We all know he is a plonker , I would dare say the violence is because of drink . Not excusable I know .

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2014, 07:52:06 PM »
As the brother of a chronic alcoholic who was once gifted with an enormous musical talent, I find myself identifying with both sides of this argument...

To suggest he has made a life choice is naive to say the very least. Alcoholism is a slow creeping illness and one that goes way beyond the simple mechanic of someone 'starting to drink more and more'. There are almost invariably bigger demons behind it all. Equally it is a social trap which, given the wrong circumstances we could all go but for the grace of God. (the phrase still works even if you are atheist incidentally).

That said, the destruction and havoc such a person can cause on those around them is enormous and I would be lying if I didn't say there isn't a day goes by that I could swing for my brother. Even though I feel some empathy, if not sympathy for him.

Gascoigne was a hero in my time who was also still a small and frightened boy. Let's not berate him for who and where he is now, even if we feel sad and angry at what he has turned into.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2014, 10:46:36 PM »
As the brother of a chronic alcoholic who was once gifted with an enormous musical talent, I find myself identifying with both sides of this argument...

To suggest he has made a life choice is naive to say the very least. Alcoholism is a slow creeping illness and one that goes way beyond the simple mechanic of someone 'starting to drink more and more'. There are almost invariably bigger demons behind it all. Equally it is a social trap which, given the wrong circumstances we could all go but for the grace of God. (the phrase still works even if you are atheist incidentally).

That said, the destruction and havoc such a person can cause on those around them is enormous and I would be lying if I didn't say there isn't a day goes by that I could swing for my brother. Even though I feel some empathy, if not sympathy for him.

Gascoigne was a hero in my time who was also still a small and frightened boy. Let's not berate him for who and where he is now, even if we feel sad and angry at what he has turned into.

hear hear

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2014, 10:55:23 PM »
See this is where I differ to many people in that I find all this talk of alcoholism being an "illness" as complete and utter nonsense. It isn't an illness, it is an addiction brought on by oneself.

It's not that I don't have sympathy with Gazza, I do, the guy clearly has mental demons - that isn't his fault and alcohol is his way of coping I suppose but whatever the reasons, whatever the justification it doesn't make alcoholism an illness.

In the modern world we have to label everything and we have include all the what once were weirds and or wrongs as an acceptable part of the modern world. We excuse everything, we try and find reason and empathy for everything and a lot of the time, quite frankly, it's all a load of bllx. 

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2014, 02:31:54 PM »
I also dont see alcoholism as an illness either, the mental problems preceeding turning to alcohol is an illness and alcohol is the medicine they turn too cope with those problems.

Alcoholism is an addiction, its the same as heroin addicts (and I hold them with utter contempt)

I feel pity for people that turn to alcohol and drugs so much that they cant live without them but I have no sympathy for them either as they ruin other peoples lives be it families or others through crime to fund these addictions.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2014, 04:47:58 PM »
What irritates me about this whole things is that lots of people have problems, but because it's him it's splashed everywhere. Give the bloke some peace and let him sort it out.

What a pathetic world we live in, where people are fascinated by that tramp Jordan and all her random kids, or what dress Kate Middleton wears...some people just need to get on with their own lives and sort their own issues out instead of focusing on what others are doing.

Regis no 1

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2014, 05:10:15 PM »
My farther has alcohol related dementia and unfortunately has had to go in a home simply because we couldn't cope with his behaviour .
Looking at Paul Gascoinge makes me angry he has had lots of money and instead of putting it to some good use he's pi***d it up the wall.
My farther didn't have the money got into debt and had to bailed out of it by myself. IMO Gascoinge needs to get a grip of it , there is only him that can do it no one can do it for him and he's going to HAVE to want to do it . My farther didn't he would rather have a drink than something to eat.
The Lord is my shepherd .

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2014, 05:38:58 PM »

No
Baggie in Southampton

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2014, 05:43:09 PM »
I really hope you don't have a loved one fall victim to addiction.

I have and I like your use of the word victim, their selfishness knows no bounds, all they are interested in is themselves and their own 'needs'.

One relative has stolen off his family, mother, father, brother, cousin, nan, his parents are distraught, does he do anything to stop his habit, NO, I need no lectures on addiction, I have lived with the consequences of their selfish behaviour for 10 years.
Baggie in Southampton

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2014, 07:51:30 PM »
Personally, I think Gazza has a death wish. If so, no-one will be able stop him.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

NEBaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2014, 10:09:07 PM »
I have and I like your use of the word victim, their selfishness knows no bounds, all they are interested in is themselves and their own 'needs'.

One relative has stolen off his family, mother, father, brother, cousin, nan, his parents are distraught, does he do anything to stop his habit, NO, I need no lectures on addiction, I have lived with the consequences of their selfish behaviour for 10 years.

Mental illnesses don't really have a concept of 'selfishness.'
"Well, love is insanity. The ancient Greeks knew that. It is the taking over of a rational and lucid mind by delusion and self-destruction. You lose yourself, you have no power over yourself, you can't even think straight."

I guess I'm in love with West Brom...I have been for around 3 months now.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2014, 10:28:51 PM »
Mental illnesses don't really have a concept of 'selfishness.'

He had plenty of help before he was mentally ill, he spurned it all, beat up his wife who was trying to help him, at what point does he lose sympathy, how many other people does he need to damage?

I'm all for helping people with their problems, but there are limits.
Baggie in Southampton

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2014, 07:07:07 AM »

No, but then again those illness's arn't self inflicted.
Before anyone gets all piouse and sentimental if hat man hadn't been Paul Gascoigne most of you on here would walk passed him in the street and just seen another old urine head
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

NEBaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2014, 08:31:17 AM »
No, but then again those illness's arn't self inflicted.
Before anyone gets all piouse and sentimental if hat man hadn't been Paul Gascoigne most of you on here would walk passed him in the street and just seen another old pee head

But would you have asked yourself what demons lead that guy into the decisions he then made? Or the crutch he then needed to lean on when those demons drove him into desperation?

Everyone has a story to tell.

I am not saying this happened to Gazza, obviously - but it wouldn't take much for any one of us to descend into a personal hell.

The death of a child, a divorce, home repossession, job redundancy...these all lead to feelings of inadequacy and loneliness and depression that can drive  us to rely on a 'medicine' that makes it all numb for a little while.

I can see your point, really I can...when people are offered all the help possible and still refuse it, they are making some awful decisions and deeply frustrate the people around them.

But some people can't crawl out of the hole they have dug for themselves as it's just too dark at the bottom of that pit...
"Well, love is insanity. The ancient Greeks knew that. It is the taking over of a rational and lucid mind by delusion and self-destruction. You lose yourself, you have no power over yourself, you can't even think straight."

I guess I'm in love with West Brom...I have been for around 3 months now.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2014, 02:25:35 AM »
But would you have asked yourself what demons lead that guy into the decisions he then made? Or the crutch he then needed to lean on when those demons drove him into desperation?

Everyone has a story to tell.

I am not saying this happened to Gazza, obviously - but it wouldn't take much for any one of us to descend into a personal hell.

The death of a child, a divorce, home repossession, job redundancy...these all lead to feelings of inadequacy and loneliness and depression that can drive  us to rely on a 'medicine' that makes it all numb for a little while.

I can see your point, really I can...when people are offered all the help possible and still refuse it, they are making some awful decisions and deeply frustrate the people around them.

But some people can't crawl out of the hole they have dug for themselves as it's just too dark at the bottom of that pit...

To a degree, and this might sound heartless, that is up to them. If people don't want help and refuse to accept it or throw it back in the faces of those who offer it then basically they choose to stay at the bottom of the pit. There comes a time when any individual has to help themselves they cannot expect people to mollycoddle them 24/7.

I have been a victim of depression so I know exactly what it's like and yes sometimes you do need help but help is just that - help - that is not the same thing as everyone else doing all the work for you.

Gazza is a grown man and whatever his demons he knows how drink will affect him yet he still decides to go down that path. If he is insistent on not helping himself that is his choice.