Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 724894 times)

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #3400 on: June 10, 2019, 07:17:15 PM »
I said its looking likely not happend
Maybe I’m too much of an optimist but I think the most likely scenario is that we have a very good experienced manager with international experience before the end of this week.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3401 on: June 10, 2019, 07:26:21 PM »
Sheffield United High Court case: ‘Manager Chris Wilder could leave depending on outcome,’ barrister claims

Is this holding things up?

Source: https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-united/latest-blades-news/sheffield-united-high-court-case-manager-chris-wilder-could-leave-depending-on-outcome-barrister-claims-71810?amp&__twitter_impression=true
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3402 on: June 10, 2019, 07:43:45 PM »
prince abdullah invested 5m for 50% of 100m club value - is he Peace in disguise?

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3403 on: June 10, 2019, 11:33:48 PM »
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2019/06/10/west-brom-wary-of-waiting-for-potential-chris-wilder-exit-as-talks-with-slaven-bilic-continue/

Key points.

Discussions with Billic still on going but progress being made nobody is saying they are at an impasse.

Wilder would be an option should the court case go in Prince Abdullah's favour. This is something that has definetly been signalled to the Albion and Boro (who haven't moved to fill their vaccancy yet)

Hughton not completely out of the picture.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3404 on: June 10, 2019, 11:41:30 PM »
I just have a gut feeling Hughton would be a better fit than Bilic , a safer option if you like .
So much work to do and as we saw last season throwing a bunch of players together that should be good enough doesn't always work which is what I'd expect under Bilic .
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3405 on: June 10, 2019, 11:44:10 PM »
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2019/06/10/west-brom-wary-of-waiting-for-potential-chris-wilder-exit-as-talks-with-slaven-bilic-continue/

Key points.

Discussions with Billic still on going but progress being made nobody is saying they are at an impasse.

Wilder would be an option should the court case go in Prince Abdullah's favour. This is something that has definetly been signalled to the Albion and Boro (who haven't moved to fill their vaccancy yet)

Hughton not completely out of the picture.

I've stopped reading anything Wilson puts out on the matter. Percy only for me until this is resolved. Don't think Matt has any direct 'in' to the club unfortunately.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Mo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3406 on: June 11, 2019, 06:23:49 AM »
I just have a gut feeling Hughton would be a better fit than Bilic , a safer option if you like .
So much work to do and as we saw last season throwing a bunch of players together that should be good enough doesn't always work which is what I'd expect under Bilic .

I’m not sure on Bilic either . Have concerns about longevity of it . We need a solid safe pair of hands at the moment .

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3407 on: June 11, 2019, 06:43:25 AM »
The longer it drags on the more I can see it being Adkins.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

colinmax

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3408 on: June 11, 2019, 06:47:27 AM »
when Bilic was sacked by West Ham didn't his replacement complain that the players were not fit?

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3409 on: June 11, 2019, 08:02:46 AM »
If Bilic's not right, just move on, getting him cheaper won't make him right.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

sammyg

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3410 on: June 11, 2019, 08:03:26 AM »
After reading that article from express and star the more I’m thinking we’ll wait for the Wilder situation to be sorted, then try and appoint him and have Appleton as back up  ???

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3411 on: June 11, 2019, 08:11:29 AM »
After reading that article from express and star the more I’m thinking we’ll wait for the Wilder situation to be sorted, then try and appoint him and have Appleton as back up  ???

Despite the E&S article stating we won’t be waiting?! Wilson even reiterated it in a tweet. To me it made it sound like we are letting that ship sail and we should because that is based on ifs, buts and maybes surrounding Sheff Utd

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3412 on: June 11, 2019, 08:47:39 AM »
Personally I would prefer Hughton to Bilic.

I have warmed to the idea of Adkins, although he isn't the 'statement of intent', i think he would do a good job for us.

What's happened to Labaddia, is that one dead now or is it a case of us saying thanks - we will be in touch.

Still think there's a long way to go before we have an appointment.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3413 on: June 11, 2019, 09:04:30 AM »
Personally I would prefer Hughton to Bilic.

I have warmed to the idea of Adkins, although he isn't the 'statement of intent', i think he would do a good job for us.

What's happened to Labaddia, is that one dead now or is it a case of us saying thanks - we will be in touch.

Still think there's a long way to go before we have an appointment.

Reading between the lines I think Albion have decided Labbadia is not the one they want. It was stated that wages weren't an issue with Labbadia but following his interview Albion seem to have cooled their interest. Similarly Cowley, Bowyer seem to out of the running now, whilst the likes of Monk, Pearson I don't think were ever seriously considered.

After holding a second interview with Bilic, talks are ongoing, from what I can make out regarding bonuses and the like. If they are fine tuning details as they seemingly are it does seem that Bilic is the one from all the people they've looked into (and boy there clearly have been a number) that they really want. According to Matt Wilson there's been no word of any impasse from either side so I wouldn't be surprised to see Bilic announced within the next 48 hours.

............... However, this is of course Albion we're talking about so it'll probably drag on for another three months then they'll appoint Ron Atkinson again.  ;D

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3414 on: June 11, 2019, 09:08:09 AM »
Or Ron Saunders, he'd wouldn't want much in the way of wages.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3415 on: June 11, 2019, 09:18:57 AM »
I think it will be Adkins now. They've had ample time to sort a deal with a number of out of work managers (Hughton, Jokanovic, Labbadia, Bilic to name a few), Bowyer and Wilder have apparently been considered along with Cowley. Maybe a couple of others have been considered too.

I recall Peace apparently liking Adkins a lot in the past which may influence Jenkins now. He's relatively cheap , can work on the cheap, will probably work in our 'model' (DoF puppet of Jenkins), plays decent football on the whole and has achieved promotions (Scunthorpe and Southampton). He'd be a safe, prudent (cheaper/ lower risk) option than others and probably wouldn't demand we reinvest too much money from player sales which is probably very important to Jenkins and Lai.

Adkins would be ok and would see us as a good step in his career as opposed to others who may wonder what hits them after they start work here and realise what a mess we've become. You never know it might just work out............he made a relative success of Hull who have also been in a mess.

Can't wait for the season to begin already!

victor mature

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3416 on: June 11, 2019, 09:28:16 AM »
I think there is a spectrum with steady eddies like hughton and Adkins at one end and fireworks like Bilic and Jokanovic at the other. I think I'm at the steady Eddie end as the other end will see us going through all this again in 12 months

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3417 on: June 11, 2019, 09:47:18 AM »
I think it will be Adkins now. They've had ample time to sort a deal with a number of out of work managers (Hughton, Jokanovic, Labbadia, Bilic to name a few), Bowyer and Wilder have apparently been considered along with Cowley. Maybe a couple of others have been considered too.

I recall Peace apparently liking Adkins a lot in the past which may influence Jenkins now. He's relatively cheap , can work on the cheap, will probably work in our 'model' (DoF puppet of Jenkins), plays decent football on the whole and has achieved promotions (Scunthorpe and Southampton). He'd be a safe, prudent (cheaper/ lower risk) option than others and probably wouldn't demand we reinvest too much money from player sales which is probably very important to Jenkins and Lai.

Adkins would be ok and would see us as a good step in his career as opposed to others who may wonder what hits them after they start work here and realise what a mess we've become. You never know it might just work out............he made a relative success of Hull who have also been in a mess.

Can't wait for the season to begin already!

Bang on mate.

The more I think about it, the more I can see Adkins being the one they choose.

The idea of getting Bilic in probably looks more like a coup for a championship team, but in all honesty I don't really see him being the man to rebuild a squad, I had a quick look at his signings at West Ham and he didn't really bring anyone of note in on the cheap, his better signings were big money deals, that isn't going to be an option this summer.

Hughton and Adkins like you said, represent a 'safer' pair of hands, more likely to steady the ship and less erratic.

I think the board and especially Jenkins would see Adkins as the ideal man, cheaper, knows the league, would see us as a potential step up, wont haggle over wages and will probably be happy to work on a tighter budget.

I wouldn't be surprised if the club haven't spoken to Adkins with the prospect of letting him have a few weeks off with a 'gentlemens agreement' to be the next boss, whilst keeping one eye on the Sheff United situation in the hope Wilder becomes available.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3418 on: June 11, 2019, 09:49:44 AM »

Can't wait for the season to begin already.

Is there any evidence that we've even spoken to Adkins?

Also it's been reported that we are at a crucial stage of negotiations with Bilic.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3419 on: June 11, 2019, 09:57:43 AM »

Also it's been reported that we are at a crucial stage of negotiations with Bilic.

The only people who have mentioned Adkins have been our supporters. No evidence whatsoever that Albion are interested in Adkins.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3420 on: June 11, 2019, 10:08:12 AM »
I would have no problem if we appointed a Hughton or Adkins, both are good managers, Adkins i think plays better football but Hughton has experience at the higher level (should we get there) i can see the appeal to both.

However the issue with appointing a safe pair of hands is that you get more of the same, Pulis was a safe pair of hands, Pardew was supposedly a safe pair of hands, Darren Moore knew the club inside out, even Jimmy Shan who knew the club inside out brought in two assistants in Reid and Appleton who knew the club.

Certainly Pulis and Pardew have made managerial careers out of working off a certain template (as most managers do) but i just feel things have gone stale at the Albion over the last few years and maybe it does need the type of character is a bit more think outside the box, who doesnt know the club, who will break up the core, who will freshen things up.

I feel with a Hughton or Adkins they will probably work largely with what they have got and have no doubt would do a decent job, however i personally would like somebody who is going to come in and get me excited as a fan again, that Ardiles or Mowbray type appointment, a little bit of a risk.

Of course for every Ardiles or Mowbray there is a Pepe Mel or Irvine but i just feel how stale we have become its a risk we should take to lift the club again, however its not me who has hundreds of millions invested like Mr Lai so he probably wont view things the same!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 10:10:36 AM by Albion79 »

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3421 on: June 11, 2019, 11:20:52 AM »

No, no evidence that I'm aware of - just putting 2 and 2 together - Albion usually look for cheaper options, 'steady Eddie' characters , Adkins out of contract in two weeks time, Peace's past view of Adkins (Jenkins a Peace disciple), Adkins working on a budget, much lower paid than others..........

It is tough to see how this leadership can re-invigorate the club whoever comes in , we seem a bit like the club Megson joined and had to 'electrify' hence why maybe a bigger, stronger character is needed to wake everyone up!

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3422 on: June 11, 2019, 11:22:30 AM »
I think there is a spectrum with steady eddies like hughton and Adkins at one end and fireworks like Bilic and Jokanovic at the other. I think I'm at the steady Eddie end as the other end will see us going through all this again in 12 months

Being an old school Albion fan, fireworks is what i go for. The club used to have an air of flair, panache and the outrageous in the way we played.
Steady Eddie? Nah, not for me.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3423 on: June 11, 2019, 11:33:39 AM »
I think the fact our academy manager has now left us aswell, leaves another role that now needs to be filled.

We just seem to be on a bit of a downward spiral at the moment and its going to take a strong appointment to grab us by the scruff of the neck and wake us up.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3424 on: June 11, 2019, 11:37:30 AM »
I think the fact our academy manager has now left us aswell, leaves another role that now needs to be filled.

We just seem to be on a bit of a downward spiral at the moment and its going to take a strong appointment to grab us by the scruff of the neck and wake us up.

James Shan step forward.
Keeps him at the club and no compensation to pay. Winner winner chicken dinner
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'