Author Topic: THE ALBION ASSEMBLY - PLEASE READ  (Read 277714 times)

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

THE ALBION ASSEMBLY - PLEASE READ
« on: October 20, 2014, 10:54:47 AM »
Dear all,
Please find below a statement regarding The Albion Assembly. This will be going in tonight's Albion News programme. Feel free to post it on your respective forums.  NOTE: the statement was written by West Bromwich Albion's Director of Communications Martin Swain.

This week we begin the search for willing members of a new fans group – The Albion Assembly.
Since stepping into this post last month, all manner of ideas and initiatives have been flooding the think tank but nothing has been more obvious or important than the need to revive a direct method of communication with supporters.
A previous Fans Consultation Group appeared to grind to a halt amid the difficulties of last season. No need to poke that particular bear with a pointy stick.

What matters now is our determination to tackle with renewed vigour the issue of supporter communication with the club. And that’s the Albion Assembly.

Let me make it plain – I do not intend this to become a pointless talking shop, a venue for a good old ‘chunter’ before fans are packed off into the night and nothing ever happens.

Not a bit of it. The Assembly’s quarterly meetings will be recorded by the media team and made available on the club’s website as quickly as possible. It will be a place for responsible debate and a progressive exchange of views and not a slanging match. It will be a place where the club can plug into the main-frame of fans’ thinking – what’s got you grumbling and what you like - and react accordingly.

The Assembly won’t change the world and it would be naïve to think otherwise. But The Assembly will have its victories - because I know from experience that when you talk to supporters you get some ruddy good ideas.

And I promise you this: never again will our fans be able to say the club isn’t listening or interested in listening. We all know last season brought to a head genuine complaints that the club had become detached. We need to change that and the Albion Assembly is one of the key agents of that change.

Since stepping into post last month, I have been holding meetings with an ad-hoc group of committed supporters – many but not all holding positions with official groups – to thrash out a working plan to take the Assembly forward.
We want to break out from what can become an onerous task for the same old faces. We need new energy, new blood and new ideas.

I can’t get 25,000 people into a meeting room at The Hawthorns – well, not without staging a first-team game – but I can get 25 or more. And we need those folk to give us as broad a range of fans as possible; in age, gender, ethnic origins, years supporting the club, season ticket holders and non-season ticket holders . . . even where they choose to sit at the stadium.

How are we going to reach you? That’s what this is all about. Write to us. Don’t put it off. Write to us tonight, first thing in the morning, as soon as you get a spare minute. Write and tell us your ‘vitals’ – name, age, years supporting the club, where you sit etc.
And most of all, tell us why you think you could be an asset to the Assembly.

We will sift through the response, establish our first Assembly and then a working constitution. But it can’t happen if you turn over this page and leave it somebody else. This is a chance to help shape the club you love. Please take it.

To apply, please send an email to: assembly@wbafc.co.uk<mailto:assembly@wbafc.co.uk>. Applications by post can be made to: The Albion Assembly, The Hawthorns, West Bromwich, West Midlands, B71 4LF
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: THE ALBION ASSEMBLY - PLEASE READ
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 10:52:52 PM »
 :D :D :D :D :D
This is amazing, this is what the fans need an opportunity to be heard, to feel included.
Well done WBA FC, well done Martin Swain
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

wappingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 03:12:48 AM »
yes great initiative - hope we keep our side of the bargain and propose plenty of good fans with the ability to express our ideas for inclusion onto the Assembly.

If we respond apathetically it will be embarassing.

Anyone on our forum going to volunteer?

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 09:40:13 AM »
yes great initiative - hope we keep our side of the bargain and propose plenty of good fans with the ability to express our ideas for inclusion onto the Assembly.

If we respond apathetically it will be embarassing.

Anyone on our forum going to volunteer?
Yes mate I have.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 02:54:31 PM »
I'm going to try to get a skype / facetime position "as a representative of the long distance fans",

Black country embracing technology and all that !!
Albion Family !!!

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 08:15:05 PM »
Has anyone who applied heard back?

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 08:27:06 PM »
I'd love to join, but it hardly seems useful or realistic to include someone who can't go to the games, much less attend the meetings.  :(

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 08:30:45 PM »
Has anyone who applied heard back?
No I haven't heard anything.

P Anderson

• Site Donator
  • Junior Baggie

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 10:33:40 PM »
I would like to know if anyone from this forum is going to be involved with this, and if so could they send me a message through this forum please. As I'm in the armed forces like many other baggies serving around the globe, I would appreciate if the question could be raised about serving personnel getting a few more 'tickets for troops' or a match dedicated for serving troops across all three services, (as well as reservists).

I know this May seem like a silly request but I personnally only get to the shrine about twice a year, as do many other in our situation. Armed forces appreciation days are done at a few other clubs around the country.

I know I don't post a lot but you guys do a great service as I get a real view on how the club is really doing, ( as we all know the media is not our best friend) so keep up the good work.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place
Submariners go deeper

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 11:50:15 PM »
http://www.wba.co.uk/news/article/baggie-shorts-11.11.14-2077327.aspx

So you reckon Alan Irvine has selection problems? Look what we have let ourselves in for.

This is just a selection of the amazing response to our appeal for supporters wishing to take up a seat on The Albion Assembly – the new fans consultation group we are setting up at The Hawthorns.

The response has been truly magnificent but it does leave director of comms Martin Swain and his ad hoc committee with a heck of task to now sift through in search of a 30-strong body.

We will keep you posted but the schedule is for the Assembly’s first meeting to go ahead early in the new year

236 applications

Read more at http://www.wba.co.uk/news/article/baggie-shorts-11.11.14-2077327.aspx#2jpVf9bGL2cZw7Pb.99

spencer Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 12:05:02 AM »
I'd love to join, but it hardly seems useful or realistic to include someone who can't go to the games, much less attend the meetings.  :(

I've applied very much in that capacity. Living in the South East, I go to London-based away games and home games around the public holidays.

I'm as important as the guy who lives down the Halfords lane. How they communicate with me, and take on board my thoughts is of equal importance.

That was my angle anyway. I think I'm too outspoken on public forums to be selected unfortunately, but I'd like to be involved.
Winning is the ability to go from one defeat to another with no loss of enthusiasm - Churchill.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 02:14:00 PM »
"And I promise you this: never again will our fans be able to say the club isn’t listening or interested in listening".

While I do not wish to appear cynical, or to cast slanderous aspersions, this line reeks of utter cobbler's to me.
 :o.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 11:39:02 AM »
"And I promise you this: never again will our fans be able to say the club isn’t listening or interested in listening".

While I do not wish to appear cynical, or to cast slanderous aspersions, this line reeks of utter cobbler's to me.
 :o.

Remove the fee for match day mascots.
Provide free kits for the kids who are in effect helping to further promote the name of the club.
Listen to this supporter and I will take my words back.
Come on then Albion.
 ;).
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 04:46:11 PM »
Seems those who have been sucessful have been told.

Anyone on here sucessful?

I wish I had applied now  ;D

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 05:04:48 PM »
Over 250 applied. I honestly thought it would have been a lot more. Suffice to say I didn't make the cut!  :(
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 09:48:06 AM »
http://www.wba.co.uk/news/article/the-albion-assembly-revealed-introduced-baggies-hawthorns-2200529.aspx

Some very interesting and exciting views from those involved, done right, a great move by the club.
Baggie in Southampton

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 09:51:48 AM »
http://www.wba.co.uk/news/article/the-albion-assembly-revealed-introduced-baggies-hawthorns-2200529.aspx

Some very interesting and exciting views from those involved, done right, a great move by the club.

It is, but the candidates have been cherry picked by the club. I would have rather seen an online ballot where other fans can votes other onto the assembly.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 09:56:30 AM by BB74 »

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 09:55:44 AM »
I haven't been selected  :( 

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2015, 09:57:35 AM »
I know one guy on here who is a "mad" baggie and will be vociferous in saying what needs to be done.  I struggle to see any negatives in this initiative.
Albion Family !!!

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2015, 10:02:36 AM »
I know one guy on here who is a "mad" baggie and will be vociferous in saying what needs to be done.  I struggle to see any negatives in this initiative.

My only negative is that the club have cherry picked the applicants.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2015, 10:05:26 AM »
My only negative is that the club have cherry picked the applicants.
Are you saying that the club know the applicants picked for the Assembly.

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2015, 10:05:42 AM »
Some good people have been selected, I know three who are very good lads.

I think my rather, ahem, vociferous activity on twitter during the painful late days of Irvine did for my application  ;D
I only go for the beer.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2015, 10:08:27 AM »
Are you saying that the club know the applicants picked for the Assembly.

I definitely recognise some of the names, and if I do then so will people inside the club.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2015, 10:10:01 AM »
I definitely recognise some of the names, and if I do then so will people inside the club.
Well the club know me and I haven't been selected.

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2015, 10:13:45 AM »
I don't know about the rest but the three I know are nobodies puppets and very level headed, long term baggies fans.
I only go for the beer.