Author Topic: Ben Foster  (Read 767385 times)

KN22

• Senior Baggie

Re: Ben Foster (Sold to Watford)
« Reply #3300 on: February 28, 2019, 12:41:08 PM »
Safe to say though, I think if he had stayed we would be 3 places above where we are now.

That is some claim to make, if Foster was still here we would be top of the league? I disagree but am a massive Foster fan by the way.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3301 on: February 28, 2019, 12:46:24 PM »
That is some claim to make, if Foster was still here we would be top of the league? I disagree but am a massive Foster fan by the way.

I agree, I can't remember any goals that Sam has conceded that Foster would of saved.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3302 on: February 28, 2019, 12:56:19 PM »
It’s really a subjective view with no evidence to support it or to refute it and is, therefore, pointless, if you’ll forgive the pun
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3303 on: February 28, 2019, 01:08:48 PM »
I agree, I can't remember any goals that Sam has conceded that Foster would of saved.

The one where he got bullied into the net. :)

Can't remember which game.

Baggie in Southampton

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3304 on: February 28, 2019, 01:11:22 PM »
The one where he got bullied into the net. :)

Can't remember which game.

Blackburn.

I'm as certain as I can be we'd be at least six points better off if we'd still had Foster.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3305 on: February 28, 2019, 01:20:19 PM »

Blackburn.

I'm as certain as I can be we'd be at least six points better off if we'd still had Foster.

In fairness to him, that is the only real howler I can remember, you could argue he was fouled but he needed to be much stronger.

I think he has had a decent season overall, is he as good as Foster, no, but he is younger and has potential for the future.
Baggie in Southampton

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3306 on: February 28, 2019, 01:20:37 PM »

Foster makes some incredible saves he has no right to make, Johnstone hardly saves anything. Certainly think Ben in this division is worth 9 more points.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3307 on: February 28, 2019, 06:38:42 PM »

Really?

Genuinely don't mean to rude yet I can't help but think you should revisit your memory bank.

Sam conceded plenty of goals he really should have saved earlier in the season.

Thought he was wearing heavy metallic diving bell boots at times.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3308 on: February 28, 2019, 09:10:42 PM »

Had no chance on any of them Liverpool were rampant.

not so sure, having watched MOTD I think he should have done better with the first 3. The first goal his positioning is poor, the second goal he had no need to rush out and the 3rd goal his positioning is again poor hence being beaten at the near post. He had no chance with the Van Dijk headers though and he did make a number of good saves as well.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3309 on: March 01, 2019, 12:52:40 PM »
While Johnstone hasn't committed too many outright howlers, I have to agree that we'd be 6+ points better off with Foster in goal. His shot-stopping is better, his command of his area is better, and his competitive edge means he wouldn't put up with some of the messing about we've been getting.

Johnstone hasn't been horrendous, but I don't think it's just a lack of experience, I just don't think he's a Premier league keeper.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3310 on: March 01, 2019, 01:04:26 PM »
While Johnstone hasn't committed too many outright howlers, I have to agree that we'd be 6+ points better off with Foster in goal. His shot-stopping is better, his command of his area is better, and his competitive edge means he wouldn't put up with some of the messing about we've been getting.

Johnstone hasn't been horrendous, but I don't think it's just a lack of experience, I just don't think he's a Premier league keeper.

Bens distribution can be appalling and when we mess about at the back this could have been a major issue, we will never know but I don't think that its as black and white as folks think.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3311 on: March 01, 2019, 01:41:49 PM »
Ben played with 11 players lined up on his penalty box who closed everything in sight down. I agree Ben commanded his box much better than Sam, but when it comes to howlers conceded Sam really is not as bad as some make out.

The one chance where Sam ended up in the back of his net I thought was a foul so not going to count that. For Foster to be worth 6 points better off which goals do you think he conceded that cost us 6 points? Or even 4 points better off where 2 wins became to draws?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 01:44:40 PM by BoingFlyer »
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3312 on: March 01, 2019, 02:07:18 PM »
Ben played with 11 players lined up on his penalty box who closed everything in sight down. I agree Ben commanded his box much better than Sam, but when it comes to howlers conceded Sam really is not as bad as some make out.

The one chance where Sam ended up in the back of his net I thought was a foul so not going to count that. For Foster to be worth 6 points better off which goals do you think he conceded that cost us 6 points? Or even 4 points better off where 2 wins became to draws?
Whilst not Johnstone's biggest fan, to equate the difference Foster would have made in terms of points is impossible.
What I would say though is that the back 3 / 4 would probably have had more confidence with him behind them. Foster's no Charles Charlie Charles with his feet though so the playing out from the back would probably have filled him with dread.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3313 on: March 01, 2019, 02:37:14 PM »

He'd have kept a clean sheet at home to Middlesbrough and that's without me really needing to think about it.

He would have prevented a few of the long range efforts that have beaten Johnstone too. Sheffield Wednesday away springs to mind.

You just never see Johnstone make a save that you wouldn't expect any competent keeper to make. You never say, he had no right to save that. Foster is consistently making saves of this type.

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3314 on: March 01, 2019, 11:29:59 PM »
Let’s not forget foster has 10years and 250 odd more games experience than Johnstone
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3315 on: March 01, 2019, 11:37:21 PM »
Let’s not forget foster has 10years and 250 odd more games experience than Johnstone
So he is older and less agile?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3316 on: March 01, 2019, 11:38:33 PM »
So he is older and less agile?

He's not though, which is a damning indictment on Johnstone, who looks heavy and flat footed.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3317 on: March 01, 2019, 11:54:56 PM »

He's not though, which is a damning indictment on Johnstone, who looks heavy and flat footed.
Accepted reply

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3318 on: March 02, 2019, 03:58:17 PM »

He'd have kept a clean sheet at home to Middlesbrough and that's without me really needing to think about it.

He would have prevented a few of the long range efforts that have beaten Johnstone too. Sheffield Wednesday away springs to mind.

You just never see Johnstone make a save that you wouldn't expect any competent keeper to make. You never say, he had no right to save that. Foster is consistently making saves of this type.

Although I agree with your sentiments regarding Johnstone, the save he made at home to Forest, from Lewis Grabban, won us that particular point.

You'd just like to see it more. However, that's the least of our issues at the moment.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3319 on: March 02, 2019, 04:01:23 PM »
Although I agree with your sentiments regarding Johnstone, the save he made at home to Forest, from Lewis Grabban, won us that particular point.

You'd just like to see it more. However, that's the least of our issues at the moment.

Just looked a bad miss to me. Virtually straight at Sam. Was surprised he saved it though to be fair.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3320 on: March 17, 2019, 04:58:44 PM »
Gomes has been playing the cup games but I assume Fozzy will come back in for the semi. Some one send him a Boing Boing tee, to wear under his shirt. ;D

tennant1wba

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3321 on: March 17, 2019, 05:09:06 PM »
Ben i know you left us but please please dont let these dingles get to finals
we all hate wolves scum 💩

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3322 on: March 21, 2019, 07:27:23 PM »
Could be Fozzie's finest 90 for the Albion.....
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3323 on: April 08, 2019, 03:55:24 PM »
Watford keeper Ben Foster says he'll 'absolutely refuse' to play in the #FACup  final if he's picked over Heurelho Gomes.

"Gomes deserves it and should play without a doubt. He has never let this club down and never will."

A typical gesture by Ben
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3324 on: April 08, 2019, 05:31:55 PM »
Watford keeper Ben Foster says he'll 'absolutely refuse' to play in the #FACup  final if he's picked over Heurelho Gomes.

"Gomes deserves it and should play without a doubt. He has never let this club down and never will."

A typical gesture by Ben
He also said he'd stay at the Hawthorns.