Author Topic: Jay Rodriguez Joins Burnley  (Read 363481 times)

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

Re: Jay Rodriguez
« Reply #1500 on: June 03, 2019, 10:48:48 AM »
much as I believe JRod is over rated at B71, £5M is not sufficient compensation, if we have allowed a clause of that value to be inserted into his contract, it is another example of gross incompetence by the suits IMO.

Agree, he's worth more than £5m.

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1501 on: June 03, 2019, 10:49:09 AM »
much as I believe JRod is over rated at B71, £5M is not sufficient compensation, if we have allowed a clause of that value to be inserted into his contract, it is another example of gross incompetence by the suits IMO.

This won"t be correct. Burnley bid £15m last seaso so do not know where the £5m has come from.
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1502 on: June 03, 2019, 11:01:23 AM »
I think we can say goodbye to Jay Rod, you can't blame him for wanting Prem football.
The transfer window for us this time is going to be very interesting, i just hope we don't faff about like we usually do, something tells me we won't, i hope i am right.

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1503 on: June 03, 2019, 11:47:37 AM »
I think we can say goodbye to Jay Rod, you can't blame him for wanting Prem football.
The transfer window for us this time is going to be very interesting, i just hope we don't faff about like we usually do, something tells me we won't, i hope i am right.

We won't faff about ?

What recent appointment or transfer makes you think this will be the case? I hope you are right but approaching 3 months for a manager suggests we have very few plans in place.beying plan A.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1504 on: June 03, 2019, 11:58:17 AM »
Don't trust this board or Dowling to bring in the right players to seriously mount a promotion challenge next season. If jrod leaves I believe his transfer fee won't be used for investment in player's but will be used to pay existing players wages.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1505 on: June 03, 2019, 12:05:49 PM »
Burnley could once again look to bring West Bromwich Albion striker Jay Rodriguez back to Turf Moor.
The Clarets did launch a bid for the 29-year-old last summer but were knocked back.
Burnley Express have now reported that Sean Dyche could re-ignite his interest with a much reduced offer.
Rodriguez and Craig Dawson were the subject of a £25m joint bid last summer that Albion chiefs rejected.
12 months on, with the Baggies need to tighten their financial belts after missing out on promotion, they could be prepared to cash in.
It is believed that Burnley bid as much as £16m for the striker last summer, but that he could be available for £5m plus add ons this year.
The report claims a clause was inserted in his contract that would allow him to leave the Hawthorns should they not achieve promotion at the first time of asking.

I wanted him gone last summer for the fees quoted then, if this £5m is true now then we are truly run by a bunch of idiots and really believe Jenkins is working against our best interests as if he wants us to continue failing.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1506 on: June 03, 2019, 12:52:26 PM »
23 goals and we potentially sell him for £5m? Surely not.... then again this is Albion so who knows?

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1507 on: June 03, 2019, 01:02:23 PM »
I'll be inclined to believe the £5,000,000 release clause for Rodriguez as and when it comes to fruition.

In the meantime I'm going to kid myself that nobody's stupid enough to have agreed such a clause.

'Evans' forbid anyone was soft enough to repeat that one again...... (doesn't hold breath)
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1508 on: June 03, 2019, 01:29:38 PM »
Last summer J-Rod was in a strong position. There was interest from other clubs and he could have demanded to leave.  I understand that he agreed to commit to the cause, and accept his 50% pay cut for his season rather than demand a move, on the basis that he would be allowed to leave for a fixed fee this summer.  That fee does look too low, but it may well have been what was necessary to prevent him leaving last summer.

We probably had a choice - take it or leave it.

He hasn’t cost us the difference between £5m and what we could have allegedly got for him last summer, as we’d have had to replace him and his goals by signing a replacement.   What it will have cost is the difference between £5m and his true current value, more like £10m, so a cost of £5m.   Worth the gamble for his goals to get us up?  Yes, in my view.  He delivered on that front.

I don’t think he’s a great player at all,  but he gave his all last season and his goals record is a fact.  I don’t begrudge him a PL move now after his efforts of last season, and I feel the same with Hegazi.   Dawson on the other hand sulked and let himself down.

tylerm

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1509 on: June 03, 2019, 02:41:51 PM »
He's 100% gone imo.

He will end up at Burnley.

Think we should ask for vydra in part exchange

Good shout

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1510 on: June 03, 2019, 04:17:53 PM »
We won't faff about ?

What recent appointment or transfer makes you think this will be the case? I hope you are right but approaching 3 months for a manager suggests we have very few plans in place.beying plan A.

Probably wishful thinking on my behalf, but simply we can't afford to faff about, we only have just over 8 weeks to getin in a manager and then the players.
We need the manager in first so he can have a yay or nay say on signings.

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1511 on: June 03, 2019, 05:29:02 PM »
Good shout

No chance - he'll be on ridiculous money.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1512 on: June 03, 2019, 09:25:29 PM »
The report makes sense the deal to keep him at the Albion would be a soft release clause. £10m plus his not inconsiderable wages seems a steep price to pay for a season. If reports of a £5m release clause are true I would have to revise my earlier opinion that Premier League suitors  might be a little thin on the ground at that price he becomes a decent squad filler in the 3rd/4th striker role for most bottom half Premier League clubs.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 10:22:11 PM by Standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1513 on: June 03, 2019, 09:33:06 PM »
No chance - he'll be on ridiculous money.

Doubt it.  Burnley are one of the lowest payers in the PL

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1514 on: June 04, 2019, 06:51:50 PM »
Percy saying its true

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/06/04/jay-rodriguez-could-leave-west-brom-summer-just-5m-due-release/

Board are dumb AF.

He's supposed to be one of the highest earners in the champo though even on half money so whoever comes in for him must be offering 50k + a week too i'd guess.

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1515 on: June 04, 2019, 06:57:18 PM »
We really need to get better at selling players at the right time. We have lost millions by holding on to players to long.
BOING BOING

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1516 on: June 04, 2019, 07:09:06 PM »
We really need to get better at selling players at the right time. We have lost millions by holding on to players to long.

Problem is that if we have to pay them more than they can earn elsewhere in order to get them to come to us, then it’s very hard to get rid of them after 2 or 3 years of a 4-year contract as nobody else will match their wages.

HRK a prime example, Nyom and Livermore as well.  We end up stuck with them.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1517 on: June 04, 2019, 07:13:55 PM »
Not the end of the world, we gambled on getting promoted first time. At least it explains why Rodriguez suddenly knuckled down.

£5 million rising to £10 million is okay for a player his age and previous injury record in the current market.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1518 on: June 04, 2019, 07:21:44 PM »
Not the end of the world, we gambled on getting promoted first time. At least it explains why Rodriguez suddenly knuckled down.

£5 million rising to £10 million is okay for a player his age and previous injury record in the current market.

We gambled... but then we didn't really back it up.  Not pushing the boat out in the summer or January.  not having a strategy and not replacing Moore.  Relying on a coach with zero experioence to guide us into and through the playoffs.  Really, they've lost out on £10m, to save a much smaller amount.  None of it makes any sense.  No joined up thinking.

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1519 on: June 04, 2019, 07:36:01 PM »
Our Club is an absolute shambles - no two ways about it. A laughing stock doesnt do it justice.

So we have effectively got rid of him for 5 mill (+5) and Evans for 3.5 mill in the last two years. Absolutely seething.

There are surely much, much better ways to organise his departure for not going up.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1520 on: June 04, 2019, 07:39:12 PM »
Our Club is an absolute shambles - no two ways about it. A laughing stock doesnt do it justice.

So we have effectively got rid of him for 5 mill (+5) and Evans for 3.5 mill in the last two years. Absolutely seething.

There are surely much, much better ways to organise his departure for not going up.

Agree on this, it's not rocket science. Pay £12 million for him - have £5 million release clause. Whoever buys at that price will be laughing.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1521 on: June 04, 2019, 07:47:55 PM »
To be honest, a lot of people didn't rate him all season. It's £10 million, most transfers are instalments and this is 10 broken into two payments. Don't understand the problem really. Remember the wages are what kills a lot of clubs.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1522 on: June 04, 2019, 07:48:55 PM »
The board literally cannot see past the end of their little noses. Can see this being the year the, more than patient, fanbase have enough and turn on the board. I'm already there.

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1523 on: June 04, 2019, 07:50:33 PM »
To be honest, a lot of people didn't rate him all season. It's £10 million, most transfers are instalments and this is 10 broken into two payments. Don't understand the problem really. Remember the wages are what kills a lot of clubs.

We signed him for 12 mill two season ago. He’s only 29 and he scored 22 goals this season. Take into account general inflation of transfer fees of the last few years and it only paints a worse picture. As if the Club couldn’t have any worse press at the minute. 

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1524 on: June 04, 2019, 07:52:30 PM »
It's not £5m, it's £10m. And reading that article part of it was the club appreciating his behaviour.

So we could have got £15m but instead we will get £10m.  So even worst case of thinking is that we paid £5m for his services last year.  Doesn't seem that unreasonable.

£10m for J-rod seems about right.