Author Topic: Yo Yo Tag  (Read 4167 times)

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

Yo Yo Tag
« on: July 28, 2020, 11:03:42 AM »
Chris Sutton has been asked what he thought of the newly promoted clubs, to which he replied -
‘ Leeds Utd were the best team in the Championship by SOME distance last season - it’s exciting to have them back...!!
West Brom have a reputation of being a yo-yo club, Slaven Bilic will have to try to break that reputation... ‘.
It was the same when Pulis was sacked. All the pundits were saying we were a yo yo club before he came in and stabilised us. So the 11th, 10th and 8th finishes under Hodgson and Clarke didn't happen prior to his arrival 🙄

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

Re: Yo Yo Tag
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 11:21:09 AM »
Yeah I read this too.

The 'by some distance' only opened up in the last two weeks. As for yo-yo club, eight consecutive seasons in the top flight? Bloody long string on that yo-yo.

I could write tripe like that with my eyes shut; I'll never get those 60 seconds of reading it back.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Topman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 11:27:31 AM »
We will get a lot of this I’m afraid. Although I would not be surprised by people like Sutton who couldn’t find our ground with a sat nav. However when Jeff stelling called us the other day a bit of a yo yo club I wondered Does anyone in the media know anything about us. I have always said this when so called pundits say, the championship is filled with ex prem clubs, where the hell are they supposed to go then. I actually think the media should applaud us as being fairly well run and able to come quickly back other than stay there like Sheff wed ect and sink, but yet we are somewhat mocked for our success

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 11:33:20 AM »
if only the experts did some research
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 11:40:09 AM »
I don't mind the yo-yo tag, we have got the record for most promotions to the Premier League after all.  Just means "well run club" to me, where we've not risked the club's future.  More club's fail at getting established in the Prem than actually succeed so we need to hope for the best, plan for the worst.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 11:43:17 AM »
I think we are going to be ok, I think we are on a modest but practical build.

And point taken about the tag - if we fall under the pundits' radar, that's no bad thing. Not too much pressure, we are good enough to avoid relegation first season. Even if we do go back down, I just want to be entertained... and I think we are going to get that.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 11:49:06 AM »
Let's be honest these pundits are the same as the rest of the media and focused on the top 6. They know nothing about the rest of the division and don't bother to research.
The Yo-Yo tag is now outdated but it's stuck and makes it easy for these muppets to make a comment without doing any actual work.
Who cares. Yo-Yoing is better than anything we had with Pulis so I'd rather get rid of that stink.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 12:33:13 PM »
Let them carry on - it highlights their own incompetence when you consider we had eight consecutive seasons in the premier League with a number of top ten finishes.

Chris Sutton is a massive prat anyway and anything he says should automatically be disregarded.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2020, 12:36:31 PM »
Do we now hold the record number of promotions to the premiership?

Looking at when we finished 8th I counted  7 clubs below us who have faded into obscurity. It goes to show what a well run club we are. Since our 8th position league finish has any other clubs with a similar crowd size and finances actually spent longer in the prem than us?
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2020, 01:02:21 PM »
Typical lazy comment from pundits in the national media who are only interested in the same few clubs.  Can hide behind without doing any actual research.   
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2020, 01:04:29 PM »
I get Jeff Stelling saying we have a yo-yo reputation - 5 promotions and 4 relegations in 19 years will get you that, although it doesn't tell the whole story. Norwich, Sheff utd, Wolves and Cardiff have similar records if you count relegations and promotions in league 1. Chris Sutton's framing of the comment is totally wrong anyway as it suggests that Bilic can do anything more than what we did the last time with out 8 year spell in the top flight. If that didn't shake the tag then nothing will.

I think what annoys them though is less the relegations, but more the fact we keep bouncing back. You could feel the disappointment online when Brentford slipped up in their last few games. Pundits, Media and big club fans want a variety of opposition for them to crush, not just the same sides. They want to beat Brentford and Forest 3-0 rather than WBA (again).

We aren't glamourous and we come from a derided part of the country. Media/Pundits/Fans want more London clubs really, makes their commutes easier.
Boing Boing

Manc Baggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2020, 01:30:35 PM »
I have never minded the yo yo comment.
Being promoted delivers a huge cash injection to the club & thanks to parachute payments in the event of relegation, we generally have a huge advantage over the majority of other clubs if we get relegated, so long as we back up again!
Being WBA, we tend to mind the money pretty well usually, although the last couple of prem seasons seemed a bit giddy, but so long as we are reasonably careful, we have seemed to be able to financially deal with relegation reasonably well in the past.
Short of an owner putting mind blowing money into the team to get us to a level where we can even think about competing for trophies, (although not allowed with FFP it seems anymore) I will happily accept us playing for something at the end of a season, whether it's to avoid relegation or to gain promotion, than for our season to be over by mid Jan every year & just making up the numbers.

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2020, 03:24:46 PM »
The narrative is absolutely being reinvented here.  Up until the last couple of weeks we have been neck and neck with Leeds and it has looked pretty even.  The strongest championship club by far after lockdown were Brentford who so nearly pipped us before bottling it.  All clubs going up this season will face a very difficult time and the expectations of Leeds fans will be so much higher than ours.  We have gone up and down somewhat, but it is annoying that Sutton forgets our prolonged premiership tenure up until only a few seasons ago.  Smacks of playing to who he thinks is his audience and not to reality.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2020, 03:30:08 PM »
Yep, the yo-yo years were a decade ago basically. Ignoring our last tenure for the sake of the narrative. Shoddy as ever.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2020, 04:33:54 PM »
It's Chris Sutton doing Chris Sutton things filling in airtime between those wonderfully witty Paddy Power adverts. It is pointless disposable stuff 100 opinions an hour nothing memorable or worthwhile. I am entirely jealous because he doesn't do it for nothing but what the heck.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2020, 04:35:40 PM »
Feeling slightly disappointed by this thread as I thought we had signed Yo Yo Tag - was about to ask if he was any good!  :)

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2020, 04:36:46 PM »
It's Chris Sutton doing Chris Sutton things filling in airtime between those wonderfully witty Paddy Power adverts. It is pointless disposable stuff 100 opinions an hour nothing memorable or worthwhile. I am entirely jealous because he doesn't do it for nothing but what the heck.

Agreed, he's exactly the same on 606 too, he makes Robbie Savage sound like an intellectual.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2020, 04:38:24 PM »
Feeling slightly disappointed by this thread as I thought we had signed Yo Yo Tag - was about to ask if he was any good!  :)

he's ok but can be a bit "up and down"
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2020, 04:51:49 PM »
What got me about the yo yo tag a while back is that a couple of pundits suggested that's where the boing boing goal celebration came from and was in reference to...... oh my days.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2020, 05:10:03 PM »
In the Prem, we get good money. In the Championship we get good fpootball (and are usually somewhere near the top). Each have positives.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2020, 06:04:10 PM »
What got me about the yo yo tag a while back is that a couple of pundits suggested that's where the boing boing goal celebration came from and was in reference to...... oh my days.

Oh FFS. Unbelievable Jeff!! Even if they are that badly informed/ thick, a quick internet reference would sort it. There's no excuse these days for folks not having the correct information is there?

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2020, 06:11:56 PM »

I think what annoys them though is less the relegations, but more the fact we keep bouncing back. You could feel the disappointment online when Brentford slipped up in their last few games. Pundits, Media and big club fans want a variety of opposition for them to crush, not just the same sides. They want to beat Brentford and Forest 3-0 rather than WBA (again).

We aren't glamourous and we come from a derided part of the country. Media/Pundits/Fans want more London clubs really, makes their commutes easier.

Agreed but it's to our credit that we keep bouncing back despite the financial limitations and the media hostility.  I'm taking some amusement that we annoy them.

Yes we're no glamour team and will not catch the eye of an owner looking for a trophy club close to Heathrow so don't expect massive spending.  But we generally punch above our weight.   
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2020, 06:16:33 PM »
the ultimate insult is when "people in the game" describe us as playing in BLACK and white stripes. Now I am a placid man BUT FFS how can you get that wrong ?
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2020, 08:58:38 PM »
the ultimate insult is when "people in the game" describe us as playing in BLACK and white stripes. Now I am a placid man BUT FFS how can you get that wrong ?

I got that in a pub once when I was wearing a retro top (admittedly I'm in Lancashire). This guy took the pee as he thought I was a Newcastle supporter.  ::)

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2020, 08:43:46 AM »
if only the experts did some research
Exactly the reason why thecan't be classed as experts.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.