Author Topic: 26 Dec 2019 Albion 1 Barnsley 1  (Read 31881 times)

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #200 on: December 27, 2019, 12:33:26 PM »
IMO it's ALL about accumulating points and doing so consistently, putting in good performances in doing so, is a bonus. This is the hardest and most competitive league in Europe in my opinion and the task of achieving promotion shouldn't be underestimated.

We have been successful so far this season and fans expectations, understandably, have been raised. However, we are not going to steamroller any side in this division, there might be the occasional "good day" for us and a "bad day" for the opposition as with Swansea, but when you are top of the league and perceived to be a"big club" in this division the opposition raise their game as do their crowd.

It's a grueling schedule over this holiday period, it's four/five games in a short space of time and the load on the players has to shared across the squad, which means we will have to rely on the weakest links on occasion. Head coaches are also fatigued, mentally, during this period and can make errors of judgement, they are human and under pressure from all sides.

So, relatively, I'm delighted with where we are, with our squad, with our Head Coach, with his staff, with our fans and, importantly, with who we are. COYB!!!!

Good post AF, and you are right. it is also about accumulating points.

It is good to remember that we have only lost once this season, and we played really well in that game; a fact acknowledge by some of the more intelligent Leeds fans.

I think our problem is that we have set a very high standard for ourselves, and anything other than 3 points is seen as failure. Yesterday was a mere speed bump, and we are going to hit a few more on the way. We may even lose a game, and this site will go into meltdown then!

To gain a little more perspective, just think about what we were watching enduring two years ago..

Personally I am loving it.....
MAGA!

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #201 on: December 27, 2019, 01:16:14 PM »
I agree in many respects that its about points, but if you are playing well and not getting the points you tend to believe it will turn around. If you trust in the process and keep doing the right things you hope you'll get where you want to be. 

On the other hand if you keep playing poorly and being the poorer team in matches eventually your points return is likely to fall in line.  In recent weeks we haven't been playing well and we will drop more points if we keep on putting in performances like with have been. Sheffield United made up 10 points on Leeds after Christmas so it can be done.

We need to improve or else we will make things far harder for ourselves than they should be.

baggiepipe

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #202 on: December 27, 2019, 03:35:16 PM »
Lots of unhappy folks on here. If you can't be happy with where we are now then when can you be happy? On the strikers, the way we play this season under Bilick its not about the strikers getting goals, its the team. I do believe if we played more like last season a guy like Austin would definitely get north of 20 goals (hell he has 8 now at midseason). Every time we lose, or don't score more than 1 goal, certain people start yelling for strikers. Strikers are not the issue every time we don't score. Yesterday I though our mids were poor. I saw HRK and Austin both making runs but there was no linking up with them. Its an 10 man match out there. If the strikers are not getting the ball in attacking positions then perhaps the fix isn't "get a new striker".

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #203 on: December 27, 2019, 04:38:42 PM »
Finally I get to post here. What with work and everything, haven't had a minute. I did manage to watch the game on ifollow so will air my views.

First. People are saying we played 4-4-2. No we didn't. We lined up with a midfield flat three of Sawyers to the right, Livermore central and Krovinovic to the left. Ahead of them Robson-Kanu lined up on the left seemingly with licence to join Austin through the middle where possible and Pereira on the right seemingly with licence to come infield into the pockets. You can call it 4-3-3 but in this day and age of nitpicking accuracy I'd call it 4-3-2-1.

We started the game quite well, got the early goal and looked quite lively. We weren't having it all our own way though, Barnsley worked hard, played at a high tempo, defended a fairly high line and got the ball forward into the front man and work off him from their midfield. Time and again they hurt us down their right (our left) with Gibbs doing absolutely nothing effective defensively to stop anything coming into our box. I prefer Ferguson. You might lack a bit in forward areas but we don't get dominated in our defensive areas down his flank. Sam Johnstone made two or three excellent saves but we had chances too. Robson-Kanu was marginally offside when played in bu Pereira and Austin should've scored with the best chance of the half when through on the keeper. His finish was poor and that ultimately cost us tthe points.

Second half we were poor, getting worse by the minute. We offered absolutely no threat going forward, our midfield three largely non existent and on the rare occasions we did break forward Pereira's good work was undone by his team mates. I see people criticising our forwards but they had absolutely zero service from either out wide or from our midfield. Charlie Austin thrives on crosses, I cannot remember one cross all night from open play. Barnsley fully deserved their equaliser. Furlong called to the hapless Sawyers to go out to the man on the ball down our right hnd side and Sawyers did nothing just stood there, I'm presuming he just didn't have the legs to get there he's looked tired for three or four games to me. Ajayi is in the middle of the area and marking no-one - why?

Team selection - Slaven hasn't got much wrong this season but he got it wrong yesterday. 4-3-2-1 is fine, no problem with that system at all but as with any system you have to have the right players in the right areas for it to function properly. We didn't do that. If you are playing with three central mids and two wide men supporting the central striker you have to have pace / ball carriers out wide. Pereira is not that type of player and should've played where Krovinovic played. Robson-Kanu isn't that type either. You may get away with playing him wide occasionally (Pereira also) but certainly not when you have no pace on the other side of the pitch. Edwards / Phillips even Willock can play in those wide areas.

Midfield 3

Sawyers         Livermore      Pereira
Livermore       Barry            Pereira
Phillips           Jake / Barry   Pereira / Krovinovic

Any of those combinations work (and there are others that will work too) as long as you have the correct type of players in the wide areas.

Middlesbrough next, it will be interesting to see if we go back to our normal shape or if we persist with this new one. If we do persist we need to change the personel. Personally I wouldn't be playing Romaine, he looks as if he needs a rest desperately,
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 05:02:11 PM by Atomic »

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #204 on: December 27, 2019, 05:33:25 PM »
West Brom took the highest number of away followers out of the Championship Boxing Day matches yesterday with 3,500 making the trip to Barnsley

Well done Baggies fans!
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #205 on: December 27, 2019, 05:57:18 PM »
Lots of unhappy folks on here. If you can't be happy with where we are now then when can you be happy? On the strikers, the way we play this season under Bilick its not about the strikers getting goals, its the team. I do believe if we played more like last season a guy like Austin would definitely get north of 20 goals (hell he has 8 now at midseason). Every time we lose, or don't score more than 1 goal, certain people start yelling for strikers. Strikers are not the issue every time we don't score. Yesterday I though our mids were poor. I saw HRK and Austin both making runs but there was no linking up with them. Its an 10 man match out there. If the strikers are not getting the ball in attacking positions then perhaps the fix isn't "get a new striker".
Well that’s it then
Praise be for where we are, let us not have any constructive criticism  for we must be grateful.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #206 on: December 28, 2019, 01:28:50 AM »
Johnstone ...possibly his best game for us
Furlong...a very good player, does forwards and backwards v well
Ajeyi....pretty consistent ....one moment towards need of first half when running back he actually stopped looking at the ball to shout at Johnstone and we conceded a corner...
Hegazi...played well ....my problem is more that he should not be in the team, last week O’Shea played well and should have kept the shirt ?
Gibbs...frustrating, refuses to go forward and I think looked like he had been rushed back
Krov....so happy he scored, generally a good game
Livermore ....ok
Sawyers ....too bloody slow, some nice work but starting to look leggy, and cannot play right midfield
Pereira.....never gives the ball away, looked knackered second half , poss needs a rest
Austin.....awful
Kanu.....always offers more than the other strikers and should be through the centre ...no 442

Barry....I can see what he was brought on, did ok
Zohore....terrible, and I have been all for giving him a chance.....shocking lack of application
Townsend .....why?, just go 3 at the back and get a winger on

Slav....poor choices, we were crying for width, we had both Edwards and Phillips, 30 mins from one/both would have transformed that match
Decision to put Zohore on was wrong

imo anything less than a win against boro will see us start to feel some pressure , we have the players to blow them away

Johnstone
Furlong.   Semi.            Bartley.     Ferguson

Livermore.       Barry
Phillips.           Krovinovic.         Edwards.

HRK

Subs bond ,O’Shea ,hegazi,pereira,sawyers willock

Really? Not sure I agree with any of the above.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #207 on: December 28, 2019, 01:30:33 AM »
Looked the same to me ,seemed to clutch his leg quickly.

Yep, and it looked to me that he was telling the others not to pass to him just before as well as he had felt something.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #208 on: December 28, 2019, 02:24:26 PM »
Really? Not sure I agree with any of the above.
‘‘Tis all opinions
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..