Author Topic: Matty Phillips  (Read 408996 times)

charlebaggie

• Youth Baggie

Re: Matty Phillips
« Reply #1175 on: July 30, 2019, 09:10:21 PM »
With his injury record, age and contract length then that will be 100& no then, i can't see us recouping that much.

He is worth that to us - but not to others.

Like i've said, if we can get 75% of the season out of him at full capacity then he's top draw for us.
   People have not mentioned having an unhappy player.All this speculation is bound to turn his head ( Dawson for example).So cash in and get the best deal for us

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1176 on: July 30, 2019, 09:39:10 PM »
I note that his picture was used today on the club's "4 days to go" Twitter post earlier.

I'm sure we're in no rush to move Matty on. Perhaps if the interest came earlier in the window, but with 4 days until the opener I can't see it happening. Especially as he's likely to be starting in an important attacking role due to our lack of forward options still.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1177 on: July 30, 2019, 09:51:53 PM »
To be honest there doesn't seem to be much in these rumours all come from the not very good or interesting website Footballer insider, which seems to have a deal with Danny Mills and Darren Bent to comment on everything which is neither particularly insightful or even entertaining.

I would be shocked if any Premier League club came in for Phillips and would be doubly shocked if that Premier League club was Villa they have already signed 2 right wingers and it hard to see what adding Matt Phillips to their squad would achieve.

My position on him is sell for a reasonable fee £5m plus it is the one position on the pitch we have reasonable cover e.g. Edwards, Burke and Leko and even then I would happily swap one of those for a left footed equivalent.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1178 on: July 30, 2019, 09:52:58 PM »
Take as much as we can get, 8 days to go, It is not beyond belief that we haven't planned for this approach, not the best of timing but not unexpected

Most of us were expecting another 3 players, now it may be four

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1179 on: July 30, 2019, 09:59:41 PM »
If Billic dips into this forum, I doubt he would be too impressed with comments suggesting
time to move Phillips on. Reading between the lines, you can tell he has a problem with the number of first team players lost from last season, so I'm sure he wouldn't be over the moon at losing one of the remaining top players.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1180 on: July 30, 2019, 10:36:52 PM »
If someone offers decent money then I’d let him go and put the money toward getting Gayle in. We already have a great winger in Edwards and as people have said we really don't see a lot of Philips throughout the season due to his injury record. And if we get Matheus Pereira then we will be a real threat on the counter

No evidence yet to suggest Edwards is up to Phillips standard. Hope he gets there of course

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1181 on: July 30, 2019, 10:40:24 PM »
I can't see there being any genuine interest if I'm honest. Experienced and British isn't the type of player that the lower Prem clubs are targeting nowadays with the absence of dinosaur managers, apart from Dyche's uninspiring Burnley who haven't been linked.

I wouldn't entertain anything below £8m with the lack of time to get a replacement, plus the fact we need another winger as it is.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1182 on: July 30, 2019, 11:52:46 PM »
1 cautionary thought, whilst I agree that with the right money being put on the table I would have to let him go, it’s unreasonable to assume that any of the kids can fill the gap throughout a full season in the championship, we will have to have a replacement despite the potential that the lads have
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1183 on: July 31, 2019, 06:32:45 AM »
1 cautionary thought, whilst I agree that with the right money being put on the table I would have to let him go, it’s unreasonable to assume that any of the kids can fill the gap throughout a full season in the championship, we will have to have a replacement despite the potential that the lads have

No this is wrong. While there is a risk in playing youngsters it is one we have to take. Given Phillips on past performance is unlikely to play more than 30 games the understudy  than will get 10 to 16 games which is roughly 30% of the minutes anyway. There might be an argument if the responsibility fell solely on the shoulders of say Edwards but there are 2 other potential replacements already in the squad in Burke and Leko.

I would also point out we are pursuing to general approval a 22 and 23 year old to come into the team as key players and those players are only a year or so older than Edwards the same age as Burke and a couple of years older than Leko.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1184 on: July 31, 2019, 07:01:14 AM »
Although Burke, Leko and Edwards can fill the gap physically, I think it’s fair to say their are serious doubts weather any are up to the required standard.  The way things look at the moment Burke needs to cover the striker position too.

I’d sell Philips for £7-8m if he’s in his last year. If he had 2 years or more I’d probably keep him given the business we still need to do but the contract position adds some pressure I think.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1185 on: July 31, 2019, 07:33:27 AM »
Match winner on his day, but that has only really been a handful of games each season.  In a 4231 he could be a crucial ingredient going forward, but I don't see how we could refuse a decent offer over 5 mill with 1 year left on his contract, as long as we have time to use the money for replacement(s).

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1186 on: July 31, 2019, 08:02:12 AM »
Our most dangerous attacking player..on his day unplayable. Offer him a new contract. Selling this criminally underrated playerfor anything less than 10 mil would be stupid. Keep him fit and he will tear up this league.

we8seals

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1187 on: July 31, 2019, 08:04:52 AM »
If we can get close to 10 million we should undoubtedly sell him. With his injury record and one year on contract it makes perfect sense. You have to seriously doubt him influencing our season across enough of the 40 odd games

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1188 on: July 31, 2019, 08:44:23 AM »
According to the Brummie Mail Villa haven't even been in touch about him.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/matt-phillips-brom-villa-transfer-16668548

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1189 on: July 31, 2019, 09:00:37 AM »
According to the Brummie Mail Villa haven't even been in touch about him.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/matt-phillips-brom-villa-transfer-16668548
I can't see it to be honest, they have too many similar players.
As for Phillips, I'm easy on either way. As has been said many times, on his day he is a wonderful talent, trouble is, these days are few and far between and usually interspersed with injuries and subsequent periods of poor form.
Don't get me wrong, if we could keep him fit and at the top of his game, I would say sign him up to a long term deal but that would be just as risky as letting him go.
Difficult one for the DoF but, I think, if a genuine offer comes in, he will be sold.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1190 on: July 31, 2019, 09:07:09 AM »
I dont want to see him go but if a move meant we could finance Perreira and say a Maupay or Gayle forward it would be worth it for me

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1191 on: July 31, 2019, 09:51:19 AM »
If we can get close to 10 million we should undoubtedly sell him. With his injury record and one year on contract it makes perfect sense. You have to seriously doubt him influencing our season across enough of the 40 odd games
Taking into consideration what you (correctly) say in your 2nd two sentences, nobody is going to offer close to £10 million. It's just not going to happen.

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1192 on: July 31, 2019, 12:46:57 PM »
With Sheffield United agreeing a fee for McBernie that takes them out of the race for Maupay. If we had assurances from Maupay that he’d join the club i’d sell Phillips to fund a move for Maupay. As long as we still had money left to get someone like Pereira in on loan to replace Phillips I’d do the deal.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1193 on: July 31, 2019, 01:32:14 PM »
Our most dangerous attacking player..on his day unplayable. Offer him a new contract. Selling this criminally underrated playerfor anything less than 10 mil would be stupid. Keep him fit and he will tear up this league.

Keep him fit is the telling phrase.

That in itself is a struggle.

And then there's a four, five game period where he is non-existent prior to establishing some rhythm and form.

Whilst he is a useful asset to us, if money is offered which enables us to do deals within the side elsewhere, then it is something I would give consideration to

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1194 on: July 31, 2019, 08:37:28 PM »
If we don't get much of fee then fine keep him for another season but under no circumstances should we even think about offering him another contract.

Brooklynbaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1195 on: August 14, 2019, 03:57:09 AM »
Considering we have quite a few wider options, why not play Marty up front? He knows where the goal is and has a presence. Did he not do this for Scotland at some point?

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1196 on: August 14, 2019, 06:50:29 AM »
Considering we have quite a few wider options, why not play Marty up front? He knows where the goal is and has a presence. Did he not do this for Scotland at some point?

Yes he did and I'm sure he's being considered as back-up in that role. It's far too early for plan B just yet though, we need the wide players to be providing plenty of attacking threat in the box also.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 07:55:59 AM by MarkW »

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1197 on: August 14, 2019, 11:47:42 AM »
Would be streets ahead of Burke up front anyway. Nothing to lose.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1198 on: August 14, 2019, 12:44:32 PM »
He didn't look right Saturday - I'm not sure he's fully fit, as he was hiding from the ball and not really driving forward when he had it.

I'm sure we'll be looking to use all the players well over a 46 game season, but it's too early to be talking about moving players in as strikers.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1199 on: August 14, 2019, 12:47:36 PM »
Phillips can't play with his back to goal he isn't a striker. He's best when he can carry the ball.