Author Topic: OFFICIAL PREMIER LEAGUE THREAD  (Read 2353765 times)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: OFFICIAL PREMIER LEAGUE THREAD
« Reply #7900 on: January 22, 2019, 09:36:58 PM »
Awful, cannot understand who would suggest travelling in a light aircraft over open sea in January in the Northern Hemisphere, especially when money is no object.

Tragic.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7901 on: January 22, 2019, 09:59:55 PM »
What a tragedy,my love goes out to him and his family.
RIP mate.
Who on earth chartered a one engined light aircraft to fly over the channel at night!

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7902 on: January 23, 2019, 09:08:00 AM »
Awful, cannot understand who would suggest travelling in a light aircraft over open sea in January in the Northern Hemisphere, especially when money is no object.

Tragic.

Agreed entirely. Utter madness.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7903 on: January 23, 2019, 10:06:52 AM »
It's good to learn this morning that rescuers haven't given up hope and are prioritising on the life raft option. Fingers crossed.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #7904 on: January 23, 2019, 11:10:26 AM »

Tragic.
The player made his own flight plans according to the BBC ,can only pray for a miracle.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7905 on: January 23, 2019, 02:31:05 PM »

Tragic.

Really?! Some argue its the perfect month for flying small aircraft in the UK actually. Two people are pretty much passed away and all you can do is question the travelling method. I'd sooner travel in a light aircraft than any other form of transport to France or coming back.

It's an incredibly sad state of affairs for the friends and family of the two people.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7906 on: January 23, 2019, 02:35:29 PM »
The player himself apparently contacted his friends on social media and said the plane looked as if it was 'about to fall apart.'
If that was the case I might have had second thoughts before getting on.

Poor lad. RIP
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7907 on: January 23, 2019, 02:42:49 PM »
This is a terrible tragedy involving a professional footballer but, let us not forget the other victim, the as yet unnamed pilot. We can only sit, wait, hope and pray for a miracle.

As yet we don’t know the cause of this accident but what surprises me is the reaction that somehow being flown at night over the English Channel is somewhat deemed to have been a dangerous and / or a reckless action to have undertaken. Are you serious?  That is a knee jerk reaction without being in full possession of the facts. And now it is being suggested that he made his own flying arrangements.

There must be hundreds of occasions each week when light, single engine aircraft fly across the English Channel at all times of the day and night in all weather conditions, without incident.

The fact they sent aircraft out to search the area in worsening conditions than when the plane went missing should not be overlooked. Below is a quote from Search and Rescue.

Chief executive of the Channel Islands Air Search, John Fitzgerald said: "We were called out by Guernsey Coastguard at 8.30pm, just as the aircraft had dropped off the radar and we were over Alderney by about 9pm.

"We stayed there until midnight before we flew back to Guernsey to change over the crew and refuel.

"There was about 15 to 20 miles visibility so we could see quite a lot during the first search but the lifeboats found it quite difficult. That area is always quite rough but from 1,000 feet, we can see straight down.

"It was not that bad but at about 2 or 3am wintry showers set in and the search was postponed. We went out again at 8am."

The fact the aircraft was allowed to take off at all suggest there was no concerns over safety. We need to wait for the Crash Investigation Teams report before jumping to conclusions. It might, just might have been an unforeseeable accident that could not have been mitigated whatever precautions were taken.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7908 on: January 23, 2019, 02:46:10 PM »
This is a terrible tragedy involving a professional footballer but, let us not forget the other victim, the as yet unnamed pilot. We can only sit, wait, hope and pray for a miracle.

As yet we don’t know the cause of this accident but what surprises me is the reaction that somehow being flown at night over the English Channel is somewhat deemed to have been a dangerous and / or a reckless action to have undertaken. Are you serious?  That is a knee jerk reaction without being in full possession of the facts. And now it is being suggested that he made his own flying arrangements.

There must be hundreds of occasions each week when light, single engine aircraft fly across the English Channel at all times of the day and night in all weather conditions, without incident.

The fact they sent aircraft out to search the area in worsening conditions than when the plane went missing should not be overlooked. Below is a quote from Search and Rescue.

Chief executive of the Channel Islands Air Search, John Fitzgerald said: "We were called out by Guernsey Coastguard at 8.30pm, just as the aircraft had dropped off the radar and we were over Alderney by about 9pm.

"We stayed there until midnight before we flew back to Guernsey to change over the crew and refuel.

"There was about 15 to 20 miles visibility so we could see quite a lot during the first search but the lifeboats found it quite difficult. That area is always quite rough but from 1,000 feet, we can see straight down.

"It was not that bad but at about 2 or 3am wintry showers set in and the search was postponed. We went out again at 8am."

The fact the aircraft was allowed to take off at all suggest there was no concerns over safety. We need to wait for the Crash Investigation Teams report before jumping to conclusions. It might, just might have been an unforeseeable accident that could not have been mitigated whatever precautions were taken.

His name was Dave Ibbotson.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7909 on: January 23, 2019, 03:00:16 PM »
His name was Dave Ibbotson.

Thank you for the update as I hadn't seen his name referred to in the reports I'd read
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7910 on: January 23, 2019, 03:50:55 PM »
I think one point people are making is that why fly at night?
In a one engine plane.
If it was in daylight the rescue teams have at least got a better chance of spotting them

kie the baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7911 on: January 23, 2019, 04:16:27 PM »
In a one engine plane.
If it was in daylight the rescue teams have at least got a better chance of spotting them
They have thermal imaging, wouldnt make a difference

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7912 on: January 23, 2019, 04:38:34 PM »
In a one engine plane.

Like I said small aircraft are making that crossing many times in a week during daylight hours and night time hours. If it was considered unsafe to do so the plane wouldn't have been allowed to take off. Pilots undergo continual assessment of their flying skills in all scenarios, they have on board electronics for night flying, including GPS, guidance systems and autopilots, the plane that crashed had all those onboard systems and a competent pilot. It's probably safer to fly at night rather than drive I would suggest.

No doubt the plane had also got a location beacon onboard, which makes for easier location day or night. But a light plane crashing into the sea at about 200 mph, day or night would disintegrate. Bigger commercial airplanes than this one have taken days, weeks, months and some have never been found at all.

Here is part of the statement from the head of the search and rescue

"There was about 15 to 20 miles visibility so we could see quite a lot during the first search but the lifeboats found it quite difficult. That area is always quite rough but from 1,000 feet, we can see straight down"

Within 30 minutes of the plane disappearing off radar screens, at the last known location the Search plans were there. I doubt daytime or night time would have seen a different outcome. But as I said, we should wait for the official report into the cause before making our own assumptions.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7913 on: January 23, 2019, 04:51:18 PM »
There is a thread on an enthusiasts message board where they are discussion the incident, decision etc, which I personally don't think is insensitive, although some people might. 

https://www.pprune.org/accidents-close-calls/617514-cardiff-city-footballer-feared-missing-after-aircraft-disappeared-near-channel-island-10.html

Seems to me that the general consensus is that although the plane might be capable, the specific circumstances make the decision to fly this way with an uneducated passenger ridiculous.

To paraphrase, one person stated 'that if his son had called for his advice about his intention to fly in this way, he would basically said don't'.

Still you have to feel for those involved and the friends / family.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7914 on: January 23, 2019, 05:01:44 PM »
Like I said small aircraft are making that crossing many times in a week during daylight hours and night time hours. If it was considered unsafe to do so the plane wouldn't have been allowed to take off. Pilots undergo continual assessment of their flying skills in all scenarios, they have on board electronics for night flying, including GPS, guidance systems and autopilots, the plane that crashed had all those onboard systems and a competent pilot. It's probably safer to fly at night rather than drive I would suggest.

No doubt the plane had also got a location beacon onboard, which makes for easier location day or night. But a light plane crashing into the sea at about 200 mph, day or night would disintegrate. Bigger commercial airplanes than this one have taken days, weeks, months and some have never been found at all.

Here is part of the statement from the head of the search and rescue

"There was about 15 to 20 miles visibility so we could see quite a lot during the first search but the lifeboats found it quite difficult. That area is always quite rough but from 1,000 feet, we can see straight down"

Within 30 minutes of the plane disappearing off radar screens, at the last known location the Search plans were there. I doubt daytime or night time would have seen a different outcome. But as I said, we should wait for the official report into the cause before making our own assumptions.

I'm sorry, but this thread doesn't support much of what you are saying at all.

https://www.pprune.org/accidents-close-calls/617514-cardiff-city-footballer-feared-missing-after-aircraft-disappeared-near-channel-island-10.html

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7915 on: January 23, 2019, 05:02:55 PM »
There is a thread on an enthusiasts message board where they are discussion the incident, decision etc, which I personally don't think is insensitive, although some people might. 

Seems to me that the general consensus is that although the plane might be capable, the specific circumstances make the decision to fly this way with an uneducated passenger ridiculous.

To paraphrase, one person stated 'that if his son had called for his advice about his intention to fly in this way, he would basically said don't'.

Still you have to feel for those involved and the friends / family.

I haven't read the thread, but I do think it is insensitive to get into a blame game over such a recent tragedy without knowing the full facts.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7916 on: January 23, 2019, 06:22:27 PM »
Lots of idiots posting on Facebook claiming different things >:(

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7917 on: January 23, 2019, 06:29:54 PM »
I'm sorry, but this thread doesn't support much of what you are saying at all.

And these are the UK Civil Avitaton Authority Investigators, right?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #7918 on: January 23, 2019, 06:37:17 PM »
is there a mode of transport that's only used during daylight. how sophisticated the world is now I wouldn't have thought it mattered whether it was night or day.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7919 on: January 23, 2019, 07:01:14 PM »
And these are the UK Civil Avitaton Authority Investigators, right?

No, but what is your point?

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7920 on: January 23, 2019, 07:08:17 PM »
No, but what is your point?

Don’t make judgements about responsibility for the accident until you have all the officially verified facts relating to the crash
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7921 on: January 23, 2019, 07:13:57 PM »
Don’t make judgements about responsibility for the accident until you have all the officially verified facts relating to the crash

I haven’t. However a course of action can still be reckless whether it results in a disaster or not.  You’ve speculated yourself that there must be hundreds of ‘small aircraft’ making this trip per week. I think the thread offers a reasonable counter that there certainly are not 100s if single engine aircraft taking passengers over the channel in conditions like the ones present that evening.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7922 on: January 23, 2019, 07:16:25 PM »
I haven’t. However a course of action can still be reckless whether it results in a disaster or not.  You’ve speculated yourself that there must be hundreds of ‘small aircraft’ making this trip per week. I think the thread offers a reasonable counter that there certainly are not 100s if single engine aircraft taking passengers over the channel in conditions like the ones present that evening.

Quote today from CAA’s Richard Taylor

“There’s nothing preventing a single engine aircraft flying commercially at night. They were restricted to daytime under commercial operations until a few years ago for a turbine engine aircraft.

“They can now fly at night and in difficult conditions. But we don’t know what engine this aircraft has.”
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7923 on: January 23, 2019, 07:50:37 PM »
Crystal Palace goalkeeper charged for alleged Nazi salute

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46980752
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

gurnbaggy

• Site Donator
  • WBA Newbie

« Reply #7924 on: January 23, 2019, 09:08:19 PM »
As my posting name suggests I live in Guernsey and can assure you there are hundreds of flights over this area per week and a good many are small aircraft and they fly 24hr's a day.
Better to say nothing and be thought a fool than to speak and prove it.