Author Topic: Premier League 2  (Read 823 times)

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Premier League 2
« on: May 18, 2019, 05:09:02 PM »
The financial cavern that exists between the Premier League and the Championship is what is killing clubs of our ilk imo. I think it is time for evolution or revolution, whichever term you prefer and is appropriate, and for there to be a Premier League 2 introduced to ensure footballs financial riches are more equitably distributed to wannabe clubs.

Clubs, in the Championship, have pressed the financial self destruct but in their attempts to reach the promised land, parachute money is not a sustainable answer in the long term to ensure financial stability and equilibrium. Had we been promoted this season, in my opinion, we would have come straight back down, of course with parachute money, which is finite and only delays the inevitable if you fail to get promoted in the first couple of years, unless you have sugar daddy owner of course.

The Premier league could be comprised of 18 clubs as could PL2, which would help to accommodate the big clubs fixture congestion when involved in European tournaments and also aid the England team.

I think this may contribute towards a more competitive and level playing field when it comes to the clubs involved in the leagues. I'm not suggesting for one minute that anything herein is that innovative, it's been muted many times before in footballing circles, surely we need change for the good of football at all levels and not just an elite band of clubs. I'm also not naive enough to think that the big clubs with the clout they have wouldn't resist having some of "their" richest redistributed.

To be honest, if we were in a PL2, had some financial security, were stable, winning games and challenging for promotion (2 up, 21 down) wit a reasonable chance of staying up, I'd be happy. There would not be a need for Parachute Payments, which could be considered a restraint of trade for other clubs in the division and do teams relegated from other divisions get Parachute Payments, I honestly don't know, but if not, is that fair?

I consider that a PL2 would prove beneficial to the elite clubs as well, particularly if concesiones / incentives were given to them to, lets say, screen their own home matches to subscribers, probably not going to happen, but hey, change is needed and lateral thinking. 

I'm sure there are countless objections to a PL2, some valid some not so. But one thing I'm sure of, we need change in football if clubs like the Albion are to have chance of thriving and surviving.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.