Author Topic: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD  (Read 1336167 times)

Regis Rocket, gaggsy18, baggie53 and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Webby

• Senior Baggie

Re: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD
« Reply #5475 on: July 30, 2020, 09:46:13 PM »
Can’t see anything other than Brentford taking Fulham to bits in final
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

gavinrussell

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5476 on: July 30, 2020, 09:46:35 PM »
Play off final should be a really good game..

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5477 on: July 30, 2020, 09:58:31 PM »
Initially i too thought Brentford would take them apart but now i'm not so sure. Too close to call. Should be a good watch.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5478 on: July 30, 2020, 10:09:05 PM »
Every time they have had a bit of pressure they have choked
Went in to yesterday’s game behind and that helped them...
Fulham win this
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5479 on: July 30, 2020, 10:10:20 PM »

If Brentford play to their best, they'll slice and dice Fulham. Big IF, though.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5480 on: July 30, 2020, 11:45:52 PM »
Don't think so. 
The Brentford take on player statistics is far deeper and smarter.  Its attitude to physical fitness far more comprehensive (cf sleep coaches) and alignment of recruitment to tactics more coherent than many teams I can think of.

We'll see on Tuesday evening, I guess.

I think this is a narrative pushed by the media to generate a story whereas in reality all teams these days are using statistics and data to monitor players, player behaviour etc. I'm sure they were new at this a few years back in the Championship but it's not exactly new or unknown anymore. Ashworth was doing this with us years ago, he didn't just randomly find gems such as Olsson, Dorrans, Mulumbu, Yacob etc from thin air - it was scouting mixed in with science.

It just so happens that Brentford are the trendy club for this right now. During the Ashworth/Clarke era at our peak so were we. And then I seem to remember Swansea were praised for being different during their high. More recently Bournemouth were 'different' as they had a young, attacking manager with an unusual philosophy to most newly promoted teams. Watford were similar too with the Pozzo model of scouting and unusual hiring/firing which seemed to work in terms of promotion etc. Before Brentford most recently it was Brighton too with Tony Bloom who uses his own advanced maths formulas to find players etc...

My point is, Brentford are just the 'in' team right now with regards to their philosophy. However, there's been many before and will be many after. At best they'll have a few seasons in the Premier League, probably 5 or so then get relegated like everyone else and the media will be bored of them as they aren't such a novelty any more. However to claim they've somehow re-invented the wheel is wrong in my opinion.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5481 on: July 31, 2020, 01:42:22 AM »
Come on the Cottagers. Do it for George!!  :o
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

garry

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #5482 on: July 31, 2020, 07:04:01 AM »
I'm surprised to see that Brentford are strong favourites to beat Fulham in the final.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5483 on: July 31, 2020, 10:21:02 AM »
I not surprised that Brentford are favourites but to me it looks like a pretty even match up, although throughout the season there is something about Fulham that does not quite look right. There is an inescapable sense that they should be better than they are all the parts are there but somehow it just has never really flowed.

I think it boils down to an over reliance on Mitrovic for goals if you stop him you stop Fulham. Brentford have two very good Centre Backs in Pinnock and Janssen who will probably be able to cope with Mitrovic reasonably well.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #5484 on: July 31, 2020, 10:29:20 AM »
Im rooting for Brentford, id love to see them get a place in the Prem, new ground, a great footballing model and they've been the best side ive seen this season.

As someone alluded to above, Fulham look like they should be better than they are currently showing, just doesnt look right to me, whereas Brentford look slick, sharp and full of imagination.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5485 on: July 31, 2020, 10:37:36 AM »
Im rooting for Brentford, id love to see them get a place in the Prem, new ground, a great footballing model and they've been the best side ive seen this season.

As someone alluded to above, Fulham look like they should be better than they are currently showing, just doesnt look right to me, whereas Brentford look slick, sharp and full of imagination.

The highlighted bit is exactly why I don't want them promoted. we will need as many poor sides as possible in the mix
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5486 on: July 31, 2020, 07:03:38 PM »
Sheff Wednesday hit with 12 point deduction for next season

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/07/31/sheffield-wednesday-handed-12-point-deduction-beginning-next/

Craps going to hit the fan now as they would be on 44 pts and relegated this season if applied now.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #5487 on: July 31, 2020, 07:29:33 PM »
They were charged in November and it should have applied for this season.

On a personal level, I’m happy it hasn’t, but they will be absolutely stuffed next season.

Chansiri gambled and lost.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5488 on: July 31, 2020, 07:31:48 PM »
They were charged in November and it should have applied for this season.

On a personal level, I’m happy it hasn’t, but they will be absolutely stuffed next season.

Chansiri gambled and lost.

Affinity for them? As you say on a personal level.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5489 on: July 31, 2020, 07:45:40 PM »
Aitor Karanka appointed Birmingham City Head Coach
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5490 on: July 31, 2020, 07:48:13 PM »
Aitor Karanka appointed Birmingham City Head Coach
He’s been there 20 minutes, they have retired the bench 😂😂
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #5491 on: July 31, 2020, 07:51:53 PM »

Affinity for them? As you say on a personal level.

Some of my best mates are from Sheffield and I’ve been a regular at Hillsborough over the years (in our PL days and fixtures didn’t clash). Likewise my mates up there have came and watched us down the years.

When I had my darkest spell following the passing of my Nan, I had a number of Wednesdayites who reached out to me, purchased my train and match tickets and took me to several pubs across the town. I was introduced as a Megson lover and never brought a pint all day.

There was no need for them to reach out, but they did. One particular supporter, often derided, goes by the name of Tango. His response, from a relative stranger, was the type of support I never had from family and friends.

I’ll be forever grateful. From there, iit clicked & prior to meeting the love of my life, I spent a few years with a Wednesdayite.

They are like us in many ways. Honest, hard working, loyal supporters let down by a failure in ownership.

My second paragraph could be extended upon (I was dating a blade which was the connection) at the time, but it’s something I shall cherish going forwards.

They will need at least 60 points next season, it’s not happening.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5492 on: July 31, 2020, 07:53:11 PM »
Some of my best mates are from Sheffield and I’ve been a regular at Hillsborough over the years (in our PL days and fixtures didn’t clash). Likewise my mates up there have came and watched us down the years.

When I had my darkest spell following the passing of my Nan, I had a number of Wednesdayites who reached out to me, purchased my train and match tickets and took me to several pubs across the town. I was introduced as a Megson lover and never brought a pint all day.

There was no need for them to reach out, but they did. One particular supporter, often derided, goes by the name of Tango. His response, from a relative stranger, was the type of support I never had from family and friends.

I’ll be forever grateful. They are like us in many ways. Honest, hard working, loyal supporters let down by a failure in ownership.

My second paragraph could be extended upon (I was dating a blade which was the connection) at the time, but it’s something I shall cherish going forwards.

Fantastic musings...
Some great people walk this earth .

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5493 on: July 31, 2020, 08:11:40 PM »
Thanks for the candid response Liam. I was just being a bit curious didn't realise what I'd opened up for you. Fair play then, fans seem like a sound bunch.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5494 on: August 01, 2020, 01:19:00 AM »
Sheff Wednesday hit with 12 point deduction for next season

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/07/31/sheffield-wednesday-handed-12-point-deduction-beginning-next/

Craps going to hit the fan now as they would be on 44 pts and relegated this season if applied now.
I can’t read the whole article. Is this to do with selling the stadium?  Is this a similar situation that Derby might get punished for? If so, have the vile missed out being punished ?
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5495 on: August 01, 2020, 01:42:41 AM »
Something along those lines I believe. Dubious bookwork regarding the sustainability rules. I believe Villa and zderby were due to be looked into also but probably got away with it now.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5496 on: August 01, 2020, 02:35:47 AM »

I’ll be forever grateful. From there, iit clicked & prior to meeting the love of my life, I spent a few years with a Wednesdayite.

They are like us in many ways. Honest, hard working, loyal supporters let down by a failure in ownership.

Genuinely sorry to read what you went through following the loss of your nan Liam. I've  been through a lot myself and in truth I probably should have sought alternative means of support.

Shagging a blade by way of cure never occurred to me though and it sounds a little painful, especially as nature's own banjo string is still in situ but each to their own. Dipping your todger in a can of Tango for sterilsation seems a little strange but I hope it worked out well for you.

My dyslexia's playing me up something awful at the moment but for future reference I'd be a willing sound board over a couple of beers if you need a chat. What could possibly go wrong ? If nothing else it would save you from mutilating your nethers with a blade and a can when you've got Rachel waiting at home ;D .

Take care 'little owl' 8) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5497 on: August 01, 2020, 07:34:36 AM »
Something along those lines I believe. Dubious bookwork regarding the sustainability rules. I believe Villa and zderby were due to be looked into also but probably got away with it now.

Aren’t derby under investigation as well though

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5498 on: August 01, 2020, 09:18:16 AM »
Aren’t derby under investigation as well though
The rules are very clear and consistent
Each team gets investigated exactly the same (if it suits).
Each punishment is equal and over the same timescale (sometimes)
And Derby haven’t done anything wrong ever (whilst 5hey have Rooney )

don1thedon

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #5499 on: August 01, 2020, 10:50:08 AM »
Paul Cook resigns as Wigan Athletic manager.
Ex Dingle I know but did a great job there, what a mess Wigan are in!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 11:37:16 AM by don1thedon »