Author Topic: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD  (Read 1336161 times)

baggie53 and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

Re: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD
« Reply #2000 on: May 31, 2018, 01:33:16 PM »
Big gamble going there, as Derby are looking to cut costs to avoid punishments under FFP.

I have been worried about how we're going to do, but it might be quite a tight division with so many teams trying to cut back. Might be a low points total for promotion / play offs, like when we won the Championship and Stoke came second.

It is a gamble in one way but I bet Frank gets first dibs on loan players from Chelsea and West Ham.
Derby are like us they have an ageing squad that needs freshening up.
I think he'll do ok there
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

swad35

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2001 on: May 31, 2018, 02:03:46 PM »
I think it’s really good news, any fresh blood in the management pool is good news. Millionaire footballers don’t need the extra stress and I have extra respect for  Gerrard and Lampard for giving it a crack.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2002 on: May 31, 2018, 03:47:14 PM »
It is a gamble in one way but I bet Frank gets first dibs on loan players from Chelsea and West Ham.
Derby are like us they have an ageing squad that needs freshening up.
I think he'll do ok there
Perfect timing to keep his old mate Terry in employment!
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2003 on: May 31, 2018, 04:05:05 PM »
Perfect timing to keep his old mate Terry in employment!

I dont know if he will.

I'm sure a lot of us have friends we wouldnt like dating our sisters.

I wouldnt be surprised if Lampard doesnt want a player who considers himself a peer, and comes with baggage. Even if that person is a friend. 

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2004 on: May 31, 2018, 04:23:37 PM »
I think it’s really good news, any fresh blood in the management pool is good news.

I disagree, I think it is a damning indictment of the boys club that is English football. Lampard without a UEFA Pro Licence, managerial experience or any real coaching experience, has just walked into a very good job, how can that be right? I agree regarding fresh blood in the managerial pool however Gerrard and Lampard just walking into these jobs will be the new breed of Allardyce, Pardew, Pulis etc. I understand as a successful ex-professional footballer, those experiences give you a head start and also give you respect that you might not have automatically as a novice manager, but it shouldn't mean you jump the queue like this.

For what it is worth, I believe that Lampard will probably do quite well, he seems a bright and insightful guy. I'm less convinced with Gerrard but let's see, that's just a personal feeling based on hearing them in interviews and as pundits.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2005 on: May 31, 2018, 09:11:45 PM »
He'll be able to call upon Uncle Harry for help. :D
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #2006 on: June 01, 2018, 11:46:25 AM »
Leeds have sacked Paul Heckingbottom after what 3 months
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2007 on: June 01, 2018, 12:22:01 PM »
Leeds have sacked Paul Heckingbottom after what 3 months

Only another three Leeds manager to go before Christmas  ;D
MAGA!

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2008 on: June 01, 2018, 02:39:05 PM »
I bet Darren is not far off being the longest serving manager in that league  ;D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2009 on: June 01, 2018, 07:04:19 PM »
“Paul Heckingbottom: Leeds United sack head coach after less than four months”

Another one bites the dust, Darren is close to being the longest serving manager in the Championship now  :D

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44332089
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2010 on: June 01, 2018, 07:18:27 PM »
“Paul Heckingbottom: Leeds United sack head coach after less than four months”

Another one bites the dust, Darren is close to being the longest serving manager in the Championship now  :D

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44332089

You can say that again  ;)

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2011 on: June 03, 2018, 09:13:50 AM »
Marcelo Bielsa (the Godfather of the high press) is now being touted as the next Leeds manager that is  potentially explosive combination.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2012 on: June 04, 2018, 06:10:31 PM »
"Stoke City ready to splash £12m on Wolves striker Benik Afobe and are battling Cardiff to sign James McClean"

I wonder who will win?

Source: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/06/04/stoke-city-ready-splash-12m-wolves-striker-benik-afobe-battling/
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2013 on: June 04, 2018, 06:18:57 PM »
Graham Potter, his assistant and recruitment mastermind are all set to join Swansea.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2014 on: June 04, 2018, 08:37:48 PM »
“Steve Bruce's Aston Villa future uncertain against backdrop of financial strife”

Next!!

Source: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/06/04/steve-bruces-aston-villa-future-uncertain-against-backdrop-financial/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2015 on: June 04, 2018, 08:58:30 PM »
“Graham Potter: Swansea City agree terms with Ostersund naughty word manager”

We shall see!

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44360745
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2016 on: June 11, 2018, 03:30:56 PM »
Ex Albion player Graham Potter is the new Swansea City manager after the club this afternoon confirmed his appointment on a three-year deal.
Potter, 43, had been the leading candidate to replace Carlos Carvalhal from day one, and he will be tasked with attempting to rebuild Swansea's fortunes following their relegation from the Premier League.
Last week Swansea had confirmed they had reached a compensation agreement with Swedish club Ostersunds over the services of Potter, as well as nailing down personal terms.
He brings assistant Billy Reid and recruitment analyst Kyle Macaulay with him.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2017 on: June 11, 2018, 03:48:21 PM »
Ex Albion player Graham Potter is the new Swansea City manager after the club this afternoon confirmed his appointment on a three-year deal.
Potter, 43, had been the leading candidate to replace Carlos Carvalhal from day one, and he will be tasked with attempting to rebuild Swansea's fortunes following their relegation from the Premier League.
Last week Swansea had confirmed they had reached a compensation agreement with Swedish club Ostersunds over the services of Potter, as well as nailing down personal terms.
He brings assistant Billy Reid and recruitment analyst Kyle Macaulay with him.

An interesting appointment. Lets just hope we backed the right horse.......
MAGA!

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2018 on: June 12, 2018, 07:19:48 PM »

Stoke have announced the signing of striker Benik Afobe from Wolves.
The Potters, who were relegated from the Premier League last season, made Afobe their second signing of the summer on a six-month loan deal but with an obligation to purchase him for an undisclosed fee in January.
"Benik Afobe has become Stoke City's second signing of the summer transfer window, the Club are delighted to announce," a Stoke statement read.
The 25-year-old only completed a permanent switch to Wolves earlier this month after playing for them on loan from Bournemouth in the second half of last season.
Stoke boss Gary Rowett added: "If there's one signing you want to make to get you out of the Championship, Benik is that kind of player."

He's a player who I think would have suited us. Let's see what other irons Moore has in the fire

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2019 on: June 12, 2018, 10:56:28 PM »
I think it's awful business. The type we are hopefully getting away from.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2020 on: June 13, 2018, 02:11:18 PM »
Nottingham Forest have agreed a club record fee in the region of £13m for Benfica midfielder Joao Carvalho, Sky Sports News understands.  :o

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2021 on: June 14, 2018, 08:08:50 AM »
Nottingham Forest have agreed a club record fee in the region of £13m for Benfica midfielder Joao Carvalho, Sky Sports News understands.  :o

It also includes a loan deal for fellow Benfica player Diogo Goncalves. Carvalho only played 8 times last season, so it's not as if they are buying a 1st team regular. He is an U21 though.

I wonder if with the success Wolves have had that a lot of Championship clubs will be looking to Portugal for players?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

collins101

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2022 on: June 14, 2018, 08:16:42 AM »
It also includes a loan deal for fellow Benfica player Diogo Goncalves. Carvalho only played 8 times last season, so it's not as if they are buying a 1st team regular. He is an U21 though.

I wonder if with the success Wolves have had that a lot of Championship clubs will be looking to Portugal for players?

Interesting that the agent for both players is Mendes.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2023 on: June 15, 2018, 09:38:08 AM »

They're spending £13m though. Was more thinking how? Didn't really care who to be honest. The Championship is madness

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2024 on: June 15, 2018, 09:52:21 AM »
The Mendes influence in football is becoming extremely tedious. It is basically hand picking clubs to get promoted, there is no way on earth the Wolves would have attracted Neves, Jota, the manager Nuno himself etc. as a Championship club without the Mendes link.