Author Topic: Chris Brunt  (Read 767190 times)

KN22

• Senior Baggie

Re: Chris Brunt
« Reply #3550 on: December 31, 2019, 08:16:33 AM »
I would be interested to know how many assists he has for albion he must be close on 75. He is stuck on 48 goals as well be nice for him to get the last 2. 10/20 min cameos here a d there this season might see him hit 450 games also.

It's a disgrace that there still has been no talk of his and morrisons testimonials

They are both very wealthy gentlemen and I personally don’t go along with them having a devine right to a testimonial. Just my view, not seeking an argument.

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3551 on: December 31, 2019, 08:22:24 AM »

They are both very wealthy gentlemen and I personally don’t go along with them having a devine right to a testimonial. Just my view, not seeking an argument.

In most instances today players donate funds raised to charity.
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3552 on: December 31, 2019, 08:55:07 AM »

The money could go to charity, as it does most times now. It would be about honouring the pair. (Although they may be loathe to do one as Albion fans never turn up for friendlies).

johnnyg

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3553 on: December 31, 2019, 08:54:52 PM »
I would start him at left back tomorrow against Leeds.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3554 on: December 31, 2019, 10:05:24 PM »

I’d bring him on later on, when the opposition is tiring, Personally
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

lindenbaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3555 on: December 31, 2019, 10:16:19 PM »
I’d bring him on later on, when the opposition is tiring, Personally

Leeds proved against Blues that they're vulnerable to crosses into the area, and this will no doubt have been noted. So, yes, 20-25 minutes late on with Brunt on for Edwards could work.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3556 on: December 31, 2019, 11:02:11 PM »

If Gibbs is fit, he starts. If Gibbs isn't then i'm with you 100%, not been impressed with Townsend at all his positional sense doesn't exist and we'll get destroyed down the left especially if it's Edwards again.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3557 on: January 01, 2020, 12:54:47 AM »
By my maths 88 assist and 48 goals by my maths although I have had a drink. 423 games so he won't make 450 unless he gets another year... which I don't advocate.

And testimonial for the Albion foundation and to celebrate what they both did for the club. I still hope he gets his 50 goals for wba 12 assists of a century too just imagine...
O Albion we love you

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3558 on: January 01, 2020, 03:54:34 PM »
Any truth in the rumours of interest from Stoke?

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #3559 on: January 01, 2020, 04:08:01 PM »
Any truth in the rumours of interest from Stoke?

According to this clickbait site The Athletic are reporting it apparently, with O'Neill in charge there could be something in it but would be amazed if he were to leave.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/stoke-city-considering-january-swoop-for-experienced-championship-man/

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3560 on: January 01, 2020, 04:21:09 PM »
If i were Brunt i wouldn't want to go out sat on the bench for the whole of my last season but that's just me.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3561 on: January 01, 2020, 08:47:46 PM »
If we could get half a million back (this is Stoke after all) then I would let him go as we need to look forward and he can get 18 month contract there at least and a signing on fee as well as game time.

Tbh, he should have played instead of Krov today from the start.

So if he is not going to play find a younger player (easier said than done) say thanks and goodbye.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3562 on: January 01, 2020, 08:50:34 PM »
I'd let him go on a free for his service.

Will save us 20-25k pw and he gets to bow out playing rather than being a bit part player on the sidelines.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3563 on: January 01, 2020, 09:57:31 PM »
He should also be number 2 to Kieran Gibbs because Townsend is awful and then we have the added bonus that he can swing some corners in.
I’d guess Townsend would be honest enough to admit his faults and when he wasn’t 100% fit...maybe Gibbs should do the same ?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3564 on: January 02, 2020, 06:06:25 PM »
According to this clickbait site The Athletic are reporting it apparently, with O'Neill in charge there could be something in it but would be amazed if he were to leave.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/stoke-city-considering-january-swoop-for-experienced-championship-man/
Would be surprised if Brunt saw himself playing for the Stokies. He has given this club his best years and is reaching legend status, so why would he mess that up by going to one of our fiercest rivals. Mc Lean and Berahino did but they are hardly in the same category. I think he wants to help us back into the Prem, but if he wanted to leave, I think he'd choose a club other than Stoke.   
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

johnnyg

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3565 on: January 02, 2020, 07:43:36 PM »
After Townsends competent display yesterday but Krov's uninspiring display, I would seriously consider starting Brunt on the left of midfield, with Krov coming in for him when Brunty gets tired.  Brunty would offer more with his left wand, and Krov always seems to be better as an impact sub.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3566 on: January 03, 2020, 01:22:32 AM »
After Townsends competent display yesterday but Krov's uninspiring display, I would seriously consider starting Brunt on the left of midfield, with Krov coming in for him when Brunty gets tired.  Brunty would offer more with his left wand, and Krov always seems to be better as an impact sub.

I would be playing him v charlton. We need to freshen up as is. He should have came on v boro in the dying embers we might as well have somebody competent slinging deliveries in.
O Albion we love you

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3567 on: January 03, 2020, 08:28:36 AM »
I read somewhere Brunty gets on very well with the Stoke manager O'Neill from his Ireland days.

I would be playing him on the left in all honesty at either LB or if looking for a goal at the end of games, maybe wide left to whip the ball in for Austin to head home..
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3568 on: January 03, 2020, 09:08:15 AM »
Brunt is finished! I don't understand  how anyone thinks he could still do a job in this team? He can't or don't you think the man who knows best would play him?

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3569 on: January 03, 2020, 10:03:33 AM »
Brunt is finished! I don't understand  how anyone thinks he could still do a job in this team? He can't or don't you think the man who knows best would play him?

Reality is that with that wand of a left foot he could still be delivering exquisite balls when he’s 50 or 60.  Sadly football doesn’t have dedicated kickers like American Football otherwise he would be worth his weight in gold.

Sadly, as with everybody, age catches up with everyone when it comes to the hard yards and although Gareth Barry has somehow kept going, Brunty is a different type of player altogether.  I dare say we could get the odd very useful 30 minutes out of him now and again this season, but if he wants to keep playing for another year or so then it’s best that he gets that chance elsewhere then we should let him go. He deserves that.

I’m a huge Brunty admirer but all good things must come to an end

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3570 on: January 03, 2020, 11:07:35 AM »
All players have a cliff edge at some point in their 30's but when in their 30's depends on their position and the type of player they are. The more they are dependent on pace the earlier in their 30's that cliff edge arrives. However the thing that triggers rapid decline is inactivity.

This may seem a paradox because the thing that one might hear most frequently about older players is that they can't play 2 games a week. This might be true they do need nursing but equally they need regular game time to keep their match sharpness and once that goes it is very difficult to recover it. I would have given him a run out wide left in the absence of Diangana but Bilic who sees the player day in day out didn't.

I hope Brunt does not go to Stoke I don't begrudge him the payday if he can squeeze an extra year out of them so be it. I think the end is here for him. Regardless of the outcome I hope to say goodbye to him on the last day of the season and I will stay behind to applaud him onto and off the pitch. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3571 on: January 03, 2020, 12:53:57 PM »
Chris has been a great servant to this club.  Some years ago I remember him towards the end of a season when we were relegated going around the ground (I think he had a knock so was not playing) and shaking hands with fans.  He shook hands with me and my then quite small son who said "well done you were great"- he shed a tear and said not quite great enough.  In short he is one of a small number of players who really care about the club and I hope he is here at the end of the season so we can say a proper goodbye.  If the Gods are smiling on me, please allow him a further payday that does not involve Stoke, though I could not begrudge him this, and it does seem like a logical fit.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #3572 on: January 05, 2020, 05:24:15 PM »

Steve Madeley
@SteveMadeley78
 Â· 1h
Chris Brunt heads over to the travelling fans, hands his shirt to one and his team-mates hang back a little while he applauds the supporters. Might mean nothing. We will see in the weeks ahead. #WBA #WBAFC

Could it be the end for him here? personally hope not, i've given him stick over the years purely for his role in the middle of the park as i've never rated him there since a friendly at Coventry under RDM and apart from the odd thing here and there not seen anything to prove me wrong.

As a wide player and at left back he is a different player where he can whip crosses in to great effect as we've seen over the years but football moves on and players have to come to an end somewhere, i'd rather him stay and end his career here but if he wants to play then we have to respect his wishes if he chooses to leave.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3573 on: January 05, 2020, 05:28:07 PM »
Yes said it before, for what he has done for us overall, he 100% deserves a free transfer.

If he gets the chance to finish his career playing somewhere fairly regularly he should definitely take it. Much more dignified way of bowing out of a successful career than sat in the stands and he deserves to go out with dignity.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3574 on: January 05, 2020, 05:34:18 PM »
Also someone correctly spotted he's the first player to play for Albion since Tony Brown and Daryl Burgess across 3 decades
2007-2020