Author Topic: Chris Brunt  (Read 767174 times)

Throstletown

• Youth Baggie

Re: Chris Brunt
« Reply #3125 on: August 27, 2018, 01:35:19 PM »
Brunt is a left winger who needs someone overlapping him usually from the half way line. Unfortunately he has no legs or skill to beat a man and I cant remember the last time he got to the byline and lifted a decent cross into the danger area.
Left back he can not tackle, Centre mid he is a liability personally I think his last good game was against Yeovil. Brunty says the right things and seems part of  the furniture, to much sentiment in the club and no real ambition.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3126 on: August 27, 2018, 03:01:10 PM »
Brunt still has a lot to offer. Just not in the current CM setup with Livermore. He should be playing LW, LB or LWB and as an emergency CM when injuries dictate.

Throstletown

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3127 on: August 27, 2018, 03:38:20 PM »
Left wing does he compare with Barnes or Chadli ?
Left back does he compare with Gibbs or Townsend?
Left wing back does he compare with Gibbs, Townsend or Chadli?
I know about Chadli but he is still here so my answer would be NO, therefore shoe horned into centre mid where he does not have the pace, engine, drive, ball retention or capability to win battle for a ball to much sentiment Vanderlei.
Please look back on my comments on Brunty, Ive thought this for years and believe others through sentiment and our survival have had their heads in the sand for years.     

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3128 on: August 27, 2018, 03:51:19 PM »
i think Chris isn't bothered were he plays has long has he's on the pitch playing. that's why managers past & present love him

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3129 on: August 27, 2018, 03:52:01 PM »
Left wing does he compare with Barnes or Chadli ?
Left back does he compare with Gibbs or Townsend?
Left wing back does he compare with Gibbs, Townsend or Chadli?
I know about Chadli but he is still here so my answer would be NO, therefore shoe horned into centre mid where he does not have the pace, engine, drive, ball retention or capability to win battle for a ball to much sentiment Vanderlei.
Please look back on my comments on Brunty, Ive thought this for years and believe others through sentiment and our survival have had their heads in the sand for years.   

I didn't say he should be starting. He should be competing for places in those positions. On current form, I agree, he would be on the bench, but I'm not having people saying we should get rid of him. Brunt still has a lot to offer, he just needs to be playing in the correct position.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3130 on: August 28, 2018, 10:58:07 AM »
I really don't want Brunty playing centre midfield, it wasn't his position in his pomp let alone now his legs are going....but in his defence.

Left wing.  No, he doesn't compare with Chadli - he actually plays! Barnes is a wonderful talent but I would like to see him given the floating role permanently so he can grown into it.  So yes, there is still room for Brunty to challenge for a wing place.

Left back.  Gibbs is good going forward at times but his performance against Bolton was exasperating.  I don't think I have ever seen him win a proper 50/50 challenge and he is poor in the air at the back post.  I think Brunty would again be able to contest a place at left back.   Townsend - not seen enough of him yet, lets hope he soon leaves us with no need to consider Brunt as a left back.

In regards to centre mid, Chadli is actually the problem here alongside Barry, whilst they are still at the club with the one in, one out, policy we will not bring in another CM or AM.   Does Barry have more pace, drive or capability to win a battle for a ball more than Brunty - you tell me.

Chadli wont play, Barry probably can't play and Mozza has never been a deep lying centre midfielder.  That leaves Livermore, who has a great engine but struggles to make a 10 yard forward pass and the kids so unless the management team properly blood the kids there aren't many other options.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #3131 on: August 28, 2018, 03:42:48 PM »
I really don't want Brunty playing centre midfield, it wasn't his position in his pomp let alone now his legs are going....but in his defence.

Left wing.  No, he doesn't compare with Chadli - he actually plays! Barnes is a wonderful talent but I would like to see him given the floating role permanently so he can grown into it.  So yes, there is still room for Brunty to challenge for a wing place.

Left back.  Gibbs is good going forward at times but his performance against Bolton was exasperating.  I don't think I have ever seen him win a proper 50/50 challenge and he is poor in the air at the back post.  I think Brunty would again be able to contest a place at left back.   Townsend - not seen enough of him yet, lets hope he soon leaves us with no need to consider Brunt as a left back.

In regards to centre mid, Chadli is actually the problem here alongside Barry, whilst they are still at the club with the one in, one out, policy we will not bring in another CM or AM.   Does Barry have more pace, drive or capability to win a battle for a ball more than Brunty - you tell me.

Chadli wont play, Barry probably can't play and Mozza has never been a deep lying centre midfielder.  That leaves Livermore, who has a great engine but struggles to make a 10 yard forward pass and the kids so unless the management team properly blood the kids there aren't many other options.

Well he's spent his career playing in the top league in that position for good teams, no he doesn't have pace but he can tackle, pass a ball and harry his opponents, improvement on Brunt for me 100%
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3132 on: August 28, 2018, 08:42:44 PM »
I would be delighted if Barry's legs hold out for one more season and he provides a solution to our CM problem. I saw the Premier league pass him by last year but maybe his experience can make up for his lack of pace at this level.  I agree that if he cam get about the pitch he should be preferable to Brunty.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 08:46:28 PM by Oldbury24 »

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3133 on: August 28, 2018, 08:52:05 PM »
I would be delighted if Barry's legs hold out for one more season and he provides a solution to our CM problem. I saw the Premier league pass him by last year but maybe his experience can make up for his lack of pace at this level.  I agree that if he cam get about the pitch he should be preferable to Brunty.

He's not doing anything to change Darrens mind tonight. Neat and tidy but painfully slow and defensively poor.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3134 on: August 28, 2018, 08:55:18 PM »

He's not doing anything to change Darrens mind tonight. Neat and tidy but painfully slow and defensively poor.

Like Brunt then except also neat and tidy. Will take that.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3135 on: August 28, 2018, 08:56:53 PM »
Like Brunt then except also neat and tidy. Will take that.

League 2 oppo. 3 years ago he'd be running the game. Too old mate. Brunt will play Saturday.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3136 on: September 01, 2018, 06:46:39 PM »
Think he’s getting some unfair stick at the moment. Every misplaced pass in getting a groan, whereas I think he put in a fair few interceptions and tackles. Most of his forward passes set us up for attacks too. Hope he’s not becoming a boo boy

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3137 on: September 01, 2018, 07:55:45 PM »
Brunt was really good today, especially first half with some excellent forward balls.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3138 on: September 01, 2018, 08:18:27 PM »
Was his best game of the season so far.

I think for the most part it's because Stoke stood off him far too much, which is odd considering his range of passing. With other teams, he's been allowed no time on the ball which has taken his passing out of the game - and rendered him fairly useless at times as a result. But today Stoke gave him loads of space which was a big mistake.

slate

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3139 on: September 01, 2018, 08:25:25 PM »
Think he’s getting some unfair stick at the moment. Every misplaced pass in getting a groan, whereas I think he put in a fair few interceptions and tackles. Most of his forward passes set us up for attacks too. Hope he’s not becoming a boo boy

He does seem to be the latest target since Robson-Kanu has been dropped to the bench.

Some fans seem to have forgotten that this guy has dedicated his career to our club and has performed very well over a number of years. In an age of mercenaries he should be considered a modern day hero.

He's not a central midfielder. Never has been and never will be.

If he plays then Moore must play him at LB or LM.

throstle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3140 on: September 02, 2018, 09:25:41 PM »
He does seem to be the latest target since Robson-Kanu has been dropped to the bench.

Some fans seem to have forgotten that this guy has dedicated his career to our club and has performed very well over a number of years. In an age of mercenaries he should be considered a modern day hero.

Fans have no sense of perspective until it's too late. Remember standing on the BRE in October 1979 for a 4-1 win v Coventry in what turned out to be Bomber's penultimate game at the Hawthorns. Bomber was the target for the boo boys all afternoon and they sarcastically cheered his two late goals (his last goals for Albion). Unbelievable but true.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3141 on: September 02, 2018, 10:48:04 PM »
Fans have no sense of perspective until it's too late. Remember standing on the BRE in October 1979 for a 4-1 win v Coventry in what turned out to be Bomber's penultimate game at the Hawthorns. Bomber was the target for the boo boys all afternoon and they sarcastically cheered his two late goals (his last goals for Albion). Unbelievable but true.

Wow, really?

That’s awful if that was the case! Not got a problem with anyone criticising Brunt’s form or stating he isn’t a centre midfield but it baffles me when you hear people calling him every name under the sun.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3142 on: September 03, 2018, 09:03:01 AM »
Wow, really?

That’s awful if that was the case! Not got a problem with anyone criticising Brunt’s form or stating he isn’t a centre midfield but it baffles me when you hear people calling him every name under the sun.
Agree. There's absolutely no need for the personal stick he's getting, he's doing the job he's being asked to do to the best of his ability, it's just not his natural position and it doesn't really suit him.
That being said, he had a decent game on Saturday, but I think he will always be more comfortable playing there at home because, as you say, he gets more time on the ball when we are on the front foot. It's away where his frailties really show, because we approach far more conservatively which means his priority becomes defending and closing down, which are just not his strengths. Same goes for Livermore really, who was excellent on Sat.
We either need to change personnel for away games or just get at them and play to our strength which is attacking with pace (never thought I'd say that again after the last few years)

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3143 on: September 03, 2018, 09:22:34 AM »
A player should not be exempt from criticism because of length of service or where they're playing. Fair, constructive criticism is perfectly acceptable in my opinion and so far he has quite simply not done anywhere near enough to justify his selection. It's not his fault he continues to be selected but at the same time the repetition of poor positional play is not good.

I understand where people are coming from with the over the top criticisms mind.

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3144 on: September 03, 2018, 09:25:22 AM »
I'm one of Brunt's critics but he was pretty good on Saturday. Having said that, he has a bit more time and space now because Barnes is absolutely brilliant and always looking to attack immediately he gets the ball....therefore opposition defences are more wary of playing a higher line and pressing Brunty et al.

IMO Barnes will play for England one day. Lets enjoy him while we can.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3145 on: September 03, 2018, 09:29:41 AM »
Nothing wrong with criticism at all, that’s the whole point of a forum so we can discuss who played well and who needs to improve. Up until this Saturday Brunt hasn’t been doing great in my opinion although that is down to where he is being asked to play.

My point is there’s a difference to saying the above on a forum to hearing ‘f**k off Brunt you useless c**t’ that I’ve heard at games this season.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 10:37:48 AM by leeiswba »

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3146 on: September 03, 2018, 10:03:24 AM »
Nothing wrong with criticism at all, that’s the whole point of a forum so we can discuss who played well and who needs to improve. Up until this Saturday Brunt hasn’t been doing great in my opinion although that is down to where he is being asked to play in my opinion.

My point is there’s a difference to saying the above on a forum to hearing ‘f**k off Brunt you useless c**t’ that I’ve heard at games this season.

A player should not be exempt from criticism because of length of service or where they're playing. Fair, constructive criticism is perfectly acceptable in my opinion and so far he has quite simply not done anywhere near enough to justify his selection. It's not his fault he continues to be selected but at the same time the repetition of poor positional play is not good.

I understand where people are coming from with the over the top criticisms mind.

Agree with you both on this. I've been very critical of Brunt on here but would never hurl abuse at him or anyone else. He did play better on Saturday but is struggling in a position he clearly not suited to. I'd prefer Sam Field to be given the place next to Livermore for a couple of games at least.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3147 on: September 03, 2018, 10:09:40 AM »
We won Saturday, so Moore will almost certainly start against Brum unchanged, but he'll have to ring the changes as the fixtures pile up

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3148 on: September 03, 2018, 10:34:31 AM »
It’s quite unbelievable how much criticism is directed at Chris Brunt. He has been a great asset to The Albion, very loyal in an age where that word has almost lost its meaning. Yes, CM might not be his best position but he always gives his best whatever he is asked to do; what do people expect him to do, tell the manager that he won’t play there? What criticism would he receive then? To quote a well known song, ‘You don’t know what you’ve got ‘til it’s gone’; applaud Chris Brunt all you can because his career won’t last forever and his sort don’t come along very often. Just compare, if you can, Chris Brunt to the thankfully now departed Chadli, who is not fit to lace up Chris’s boots.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3149 on: September 03, 2018, 11:16:14 AM »
It’s quite unbelievable how much criticism is directed at Chris Brunt. He has been a great asset to The Albion, very loyal in an age where that word has almost lost its meaning. Yes, CM might not be his best position but he always gives his best whatever he is asked to do; what do people expect him to do, tell the manager that he won’t play there? What criticism would he receive then? To quote a well known song, ‘You don’t know what you’ve got ‘til it’s gone’; applaud Chris Brunt all you can because his career won’t last forever and his sort don’t come along very often. Just compare, if you can, Chris Brunt to the thankfully now departed Chadli, who is not fit to lace up Chris’s boots.
There's two elements that are getting confused here.
Criticism, via a forum, for his performances, is absolutely fine and what a forum is for. Plus, most recognise that it's not down to him but the management picking him out of position and DM is getting just as much, if not more, stick for it. Yes he's been a great servant and yes he deserves our support but you wouldn't pick him in goal would you?
Personal abuse, on match day, is totally unacceptable, especially towards someone who has shown the loyalty and commitment that he has and I don't know anyone that would agree with it.
There is, however, a very distinct difference.