Author Topic: Chris Brunt  (Read 767178 times)

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

Re: Chris Brunt
« Reply #2850 on: February 10, 2017, 09:34:12 AM »
I am not Chris Brunts greatest admirer but a new contract is richly deserved.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

letmereadposts

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2851 on: February 10, 2017, 01:01:58 PM »
I am not Chris Brunts greatest admirer but a new contract is richly deserved.

History will be judging you my friend - a club legend.

His output to our success has been underrated imo. A classy player with an individual identity in his play, great leader too*

*I used to question his captaincy until managers consistently chose him as captain - only a trophy-laden ex Utd player was worthy of replacing his captaincy!

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2852 on: February 10, 2017, 01:11:45 PM »
I also subscribe to the view CB is no more than average for a premier league midfielder.
However it cannot be denied that he has been a great servant to the club and the new contract has the right feel to it IMO.

the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2853 on: February 10, 2017, 01:54:17 PM »
I think saying Brunty is average is a bit rough there are plenty of average midfielder`s / Defenders plying there trade in teams below us and i believe over the years he has been excellent for us and at worse good You don`t become captain without having something about you

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2854 on: February 10, 2017, 02:20:32 PM »
New contract was a no brainer really, since returning from injury he has looked fitter than he ever has and proven how important a player he is for us.

There was an article put out by the club after Brunt returned from injury about how he'd improved things like jumping, running etc in his recovery, showing that his physical stats were actually better then than they'd ever been

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2855 on: February 10, 2017, 02:22:00 PM »
I also subscribe to the view CB is no more than average for a premier league midfielder.
However it cannot be denied that he has been a great servant to the club and the new contract has the right feel to it IMO.

Being an established mid table player is the very definition of average and certainly should not be snubbed at.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2856 on: February 10, 2017, 02:27:19 PM »
SO what does that make championship and lower league midfielders Poor  because thats what your making it sound like Brunty was always above average

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2857 on: February 10, 2017, 02:28:35 PM »
Being an established mid table player is the very definition of average and certainly should not be snubbed at.

Average for the premier league maybe, but certainly not average in the grand scheme of things. You could also argue that to be playing in the top league of England at all and for your country requires you to be a lot more than average

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2858 on: February 10, 2017, 02:41:36 PM »
I remember Brunty playing for Sheffield Wednesday against us. He played wide right that day and that left foot of his was like a wand.

Average he certainly isn't in the grand scheme of things.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2859 on: February 10, 2017, 02:46:32 PM »
I remember Brunty playing for Sheffield Wednesday against us. He played wide right that day and that left foot of his was is still like a wand.

Average he certainly isn't in the grand scheme of things.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2860 on: February 10, 2017, 03:33:27 PM »

I'm not denigrating being an average prem player, its a hell of an achievement IMO, I will never reach those heights in my career !

However, i do think we have to accept that he is not as good as some would have us think he is (Jacko?)

oh and by the way I did say "average premier league midfielder"
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 03:38:14 PM by Albionic »
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2861 on: February 10, 2017, 03:38:38 PM »
I'm not denigrating being an average prem player, its a hell of an achievement IMO, I will never reach those heights in my career !

However, i do think we have to accept that he is not as good as some would have us think he is (Jacko?)

I took your quote to mean exactly that an average premier league player which is a hell of an achievement.

To some on the thread it's an average across the leagues.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2862 on: February 10, 2017, 04:05:39 PM »
Very glad he has got a new contract. His left foot is up there with the best int he league and his assist stats show that.

According to this: https://www.statbunker.com/alltimestats/AllTimeCompetitionMostAssists?comp_code=EPL

He has 48 Premier League assists. That's more than people like Scholes, Mata,  Beckham, Carrick, Walcott and Pires just to name a few. That is quite an achievement especially as all of those players played/are playing for the best teams.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2863 on: February 10, 2017, 04:11:43 PM »
Very glad he has got a new contract. His left foot is up there with the best int he league and his assist stats show that.

According to this: https://www.statbunker.com/alltimestats/AllTimeCompetitionMostAssists?comp_code=EPL

He has 48 Premier League assists. That's more than people like Scholes, Mata,  Beckham, Carrick, Walcott and Pires just to name a few. That is quite an achievement especially as all of those players played/are playing for the best teams.

Great stat that is. 25th in the all time Premier League assist table. Most of those above him aren't to be sniffed at either.

LoxleyBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2864 on: February 11, 2017, 12:24:58 PM »
Great stat that is. 25th in the all time Premier League assist table. Most of those above him aren't to be sniffed at either.

Nor are many of those beneath him.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2865 on: February 11, 2017, 12:55:57 PM »
I think he is called average by some fans because, as a wide left player we have been used to the likes of Clark, Johnston, Cunningham, Barnes, Kilbane etc.
Brunt has a different style to these, but while maybe not as exciting to watch, his goals and assists are probably better than most of them.
If he is average the so was David Beckham who was imo a right footed replica.

Mo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2866 on: February 11, 2017, 02:36:26 PM »
A steady 7 or 8 out of 10 each week , has vision and passing ability long and short that we will struggle to replace .

He is definately someone whose contribution to West Bromwich Albion i will remember with great respect when his race is run .

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2867 on: February 11, 2017, 04:05:32 PM »
I think he is called average by some fans because, as a wide left player we have been used to the likes of Clark, Johnston, Cunningham, Barnes, Kilbane etc.
Brunt has a different style to these, but while maybe not as exciting to watch, his goals and assists are probably better than most of them.
If he is average the so was David Beckham who was imo a right footed replica.

And he's got 4 more assists than Beckham too according to the link.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2868 on: February 11, 2017, 07:12:48 PM »
He would be average without his left-foot but what kind of argument is that? Because his left-foot is ridiculously accurate. He's been involved in 87 PL goals now for West Brom (goals or assists) which says it all. Even on his quiet days he's capable of a great delivery which can lead to goals, so I think calling him average is a bit of a dis-service. I'd say someone like Gardner was more your average midfielder.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2869 on: February 11, 2017, 07:52:13 PM »

But he's an average midfielder.....

Brunt is a wonderful footballer, a superb servant to this club and deserves more respect for the player he is
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2870 on: February 12, 2017, 12:03:11 PM »
Another vital assist yesterday. Not just contributed to a goal, but also to us getting a point as well

buzzingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2871 on: February 12, 2017, 12:21:38 PM »
I love Brunt but those stays a not right, a common sense check should tell you Beckham has 4/5 * the assists as brunt!

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2872 on: February 12, 2017, 12:25:31 PM »
I love Brunt but those stays a not right, a common sense check should tell you Beckham has 4/5 * the assists as brunt!

Correct. Here's the official table:

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/goal_assist?co=1&se=-1&co=1&cl=-1&iso=-1&po=-1?se=-1

Brunt is joint 50th with David Ginola

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2873 on: February 12, 2017, 01:19:16 PM »
Just had a stat on sky showing the top scoring full backs. They put Brunt at joint second with 3

ashdoy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2874 on: March 04, 2017, 10:08:30 PM »
Worst Brunty has played in a while today.

Anybody else think his general fitness is shocking?

Always seems to be blowing out his backside within first 15minutes and comes across a relatively "lazy" player in terms of runs off the ball.

Think against pacey wingers & full backs he really struggles, always has against Palace & in particular Zaha.