Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1745342 times)

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #575 on: June 15, 2014, 06:33:29 PM »
I think it's wrong to personally target Irvine. If you were in his shoes you'd take the job in a heartbeat. The board need to be criticised, not Irvine.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #576 on: June 15, 2014, 06:33:45 PM »
But the venom shown by some fans is getting ridiculous.

All I'm saying is give it a chance and show some support.
Fans need and deserve to be respected by the club they support. If that doesn't happen, things unravel. Therefore, given the contempt with which Albion fans have been treated for some time in a number of respects, "show some support" doesn't really cut it anymore as far as the present regime is concerned. They have taken the club away from the fans, so can have no complaints at all for the fans going away from them.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #577 on: June 15, 2014, 06:34:00 PM »
I guess 99% of people like me unhappy with this choice will in the ground back the players, back Irvine during and before a game so if folk want to vent their spleen then they are welcome to do so on this forum, thats the point of this forum so people can say what they feel so can we cut the stuff trying to make out some are not proper fans by not agreeing with this decision.

Some are happy with it, some not happy with it but happy to see how it goes and some not happy, none of them make you a better fan, supporter or whatever and none of it makes anyone a dingle, a villa fan, fickle or the rest of the pointless comments we're getting on here.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #578 on: June 15, 2014, 06:34:49 PM »
I agree with a lot of what you said Johnthebaggie!

How we laughed at Villa when they protested and cried about getting Mcleish, the bloke never had a chance and they are no better off now then when he left, yet here we are now doing the same thing.

There was probably only 1 or 2 appointments who would of pleased everybody if this forum is anything to by - Moyes, Jol, Sherwood, Hughton, Mackay, Mcinnes, etc to name a few 50% of our fans would of accepted, the other 50% would of moaned.

Nobody wanted Alan Irvine but the fact is he is here now so why not give him a chance, people may well be proved right and he may be a disaster, but the same was said when we appointed Gary Megson and he didnt do too bad did he? Also playng wise - Billy Jones and Gareth McAuley were written off a few years ago for having the nerve to be bettering themselves and joining Albion despite not playing in the Prem, people are given chances, its how they take them but at least give them the fair opportunity.

I think Irvine does have to hit the ground running, but if we have 12 points after 6 games nobody will be saying a word, if come xmas we are in the s**t then all our worst fears are confirmed but whether we want him, like him or whatever he is here, so hopefully by the time the season comes we can give him a chance.

As somebody said above, i remember the dark old days and when you think back to those days, these arent so bad after all, 5 years in the premiership on the bounce, nice ground, a good academy (few bits need ironing out), not in debt, and the chance between now and the start of the season to build a new team, can think of worst positions to be in.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #579 on: June 15, 2014, 06:35:42 PM »
Dear Mr Irvine

Please note that whilst speaking for the majority of Albion fans on this forum, alicantebaggie does not speak for myself & a few others.
Wouldn't it have been more accurate to say ".....speaking for the overwhelming majority of Albion fans....."?

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #580 on: June 15, 2014, 06:36:20 PM »
Try asking Billy Jones, Richard Chaplow, Craig Beattie, what they thought of him and his sidekick, just to name a few

I haven't had the opportunity to chat to any of those yet?  On record what have they said about him?
"This crack is really moreish."

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #581 on: June 15, 2014, 06:39:03 PM »
Only quotes from players / staff so far i have seen has been Terry McDermott who said he was a great coahc and Sean St Ledger who said he is the best coach he has worked with.

Havent seen any yet from players / staff against him so has anybody got any of these quotes out of curiosity?

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #582 on: June 15, 2014, 06:39:24 PM »
As several people keep repeating it, I'm looking forward to someone posting all the quotes that say what a great coach Irvine is. After all, Preston and Sheff Wed did so well under him.....

Someone else posted that he's a great no. 2. There's an interesting alternative connotation to that that I'll leave people to think about for themselves, and perhaps the original poster was sarcastically implying this, but Irvine hasn't been a successful assistant manager anywhere that I can see from his record, so perhaps someone can put me straight on that?

This doesn't really answer my question in the post you highlighted.

A post inferred that Billy Jones, Richard Chaplow, & Craig Beattie had negative opinions regarding AI & I asked for a link, as yet not forthcoming.
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #583 on: June 15, 2014, 06:39:31 PM »
Dear Mr Irvine.

According to local media you have not yet finalised your release from your current job at Everton.  If have taken the time to check the local press and social media, you will see that you are not wanted by the overwhelming majority of WBA fans, myself included.

I have read that you are delighted at being offered the job. I am sure your are. But we are not.  Withdraw your application and stay away from our club.

Peace may want you but we do not.

academy@evertonfc.com    Just sent

Oh dear, that really is pathetic.
"This crack is really moreish."

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #584 on: June 15, 2014, 06:39:43 PM »
I do actually agree with many posts, it is a very underwhelming appointment.

But the venom shown by some fans is getting ridiculous.

All I'm saying is give it a chance and show some support.

The last thing we want is the fans turning against the team in the first game if it is not going well.

Come the start of the season fans will show support, however the problem remains that Irvine is a very poor choice, as such it is clear he will become a scapegoat the minute things start to go wrong.

Whilst I do not want Irvine as head coach I do feel sorry for him as he is on a hiding to nothing.

This all stems back to the contempt of a chairman, who remains untouchable.
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #585 on: June 15, 2014, 06:44:50 PM »
Wouldn't it have been more accurate to say ".....speaking for the overwhelming majority of Albion fans....."?

Modified in the name of supporter accuracy  ;)
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #586 on: June 15, 2014, 07:01:56 PM »
Only quotes from players / staff so far i have seen has been Terry McDermott who said he was a great coahc and Sean St Ledger who said he is the best coach he has worked with.

Havent seen any yet from players / staff against him so has anybody got any of these quotes out of curiosity?

Darren Carter also said he was a great coach. FFS, hope I'm not on the wrong side of the dock with some of you on jury service.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

johnthebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #587 on: June 15, 2014, 07:07:53 PM »
Fans need and deserve to be respected by the club they support. If that doesn't happen, things unravel. Therefore, given the contempt with which Albion fans have been treated for some time in a number of respects, "show some support" doesn't really cut it anymore as far as the present regime is concerned. They have taken the club away from the fans, so can have no complaints at all for the fans going away from them.
I realise many fans are getting disillusioned but Irvine doesn't deserve some of the stuff being thrown at him.

Everyone deserves a chance to do the job given to them.

At the moment he's a dead man walking regardless of whether he's any good or not.

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #588 on: June 15, 2014, 07:11:58 PM »
I realise many fans are getting disillusioned but Irvine doesn't deserve some of the stuff being thrown at him.

Everyone deserves a chance to do the job given to them.

At the moment he's a dead man walking regardless of whether he's any good or not.

Whilst I agree, surely the board should have considered the backlash in naming Irvine head coach.

Had they of spoken with me Saturday morning I could have predicted the fans response, are they so far removed that they thought fans would welcome Irvine with open arms.

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #589 on: June 15, 2014, 07:14:43 PM »
I guess 99% of people like me unhappy with this choice will in the ground back the players, back Irvine during and before a game so if folk want to vent their spleen then they are welcome to do so on this forum, thats the point of this forum so people can say what they feel so can we cut the stuff trying to make out some are not proper fans by not agreeing with this decision.

Some are happy with it, some not happy with it but happy to see how it goes and some not happy, none of them make you a better fan, supporter or whatever and none of it makes anyone a dingle, a villa fan, fickle or the rest of the pointless comments we're getting on here.

I'm sorry but hanging a bed sheet on the Astle gates is a very Villa/Wolves like action.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #590 on: June 15, 2014, 07:17:54 PM »
I'm sorry but hanging a bed sheet on the Astle gates is a very Villa/Wolves like action.

What does that have to do with any of the posts on here ?

To question someones support because they disagree with a decision is just as bad at the other end of the scale.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 07:19:58 PM by OldburyWBA »

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #591 on: June 15, 2014, 07:20:49 PM »

What utter rubbish!

Whilst I hate Villa and Wolves their fans are no different to any other club and contain a diverse mix of characters.

As fans they are passionate about their club.

johnthebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #592 on: June 15, 2014, 07:23:51 PM »
Whilst I agree, surely the board should have considered the backlash in naming Irvine head coach.

Had they of spoken with me Saturday morning I could have predicted the fans response, are they so far removed that they thought fans would welcome Irvine with open arms.
I don't think there was any manager they could have picked who would have been welcomed with open arms.......lol

I do think that Peace ought to send voting slips out to everyone for the next manager then pick the one the majority choose.

Even then people would still moan if it wasn't their choice.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #593 on: June 15, 2014, 07:24:41 PM »
Do you know what, if I'm Alan Irvine with all this vitreol thrown at me, I think I might change my mind. What then, another 4 weeks before we appoint a head coach?
None of the others in the frame were that inspiring either.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #594 on: June 15, 2014, 07:27:56 PM »
Do you know what, if I'm Alan Irvine with all this vitreol thrown at me, I think I might change my mind. What then, another 4 weeks before we appoint a head coach?
None of the others in the frame were that inspiring either.

Thats one of the worrying things. We're a club now established in this division but struggling to attract the level of coaches that position should be so theres a problem somewhere that needs addressing. In 12-18 months we will be back in the same position and will replace Irvine with another in the same vein as him, Clarke, RDM etc

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #595 on: June 15, 2014, 07:31:12 PM »
I do think that Peace ought to send voting slips out to everyone for the next manager then pick the one the majority choose.

That appears to be what everyone thought Peace's statement of 23rd May meant.

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #596 on: June 15, 2014, 07:31:42 PM »
What utter rubbish!

Whilst I hate Villa and Wolves their fans are no different to any other club and contain a diverse mix of characters.

As fans they are passionate about their club.

When was the last time we had a banner put up like that?

When was the last time Wolves or Villa had one? Oh last season, the season before that and the season before that one....

botters

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #597 on: June 15, 2014, 07:31:57 PM »
Can we have another new head coach please before we reach 100 pages on this topic.

botters

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #598 on: June 15, 2014, 07:34:19 PM »
Thats one of the worrying things. We're a club now established in this division but struggling to attract the level of coaches that position should be so theres a problem somewhere that needs addressing. In 12-18 months we will be back in the same position and will replace Irvine with another in the same vein as him, Clarke, RDM etc

The problem that needs addressing is the same problem every time, Downing and Kiely we will not get another decent head coach whilst they are forced to work with those two.

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #599 on: June 15, 2014, 07:37:00 PM »
I don't think there was any manager they could have picked who would have been welcomed with open arms.......lol

Even then people would still moan if it wasn't their choice.

Oh come on!

No one is asking for a vote, and you will certainly never please everyone.

However, after last season what we needed was renewed hope.

The appointment of Irvine has removed any hope I had for next season, the only way it will return is if Peace provides the 5 or 6 quality players we need.