Author Topic: 11 Aug 2018 Norwich City 3 Albion 4  (Read 60900 times)

ashcroft19

• Baby Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #400 on: August 12, 2018, 09:03:53 AM »
Watching on Quest:

1-0 (Norwich) - Nyom not enough urgency to get out to the winger, way too easy. Bartley then should've stopped the cross. Three players around the goalscorer not one picking him up. Nyom / Bartley main culprits.

1-1 Definite penalty. Good footwork from Gayle. J Rod good finish.

Missed pen - Typical Livermore. No touch or awareness. No-one at all tracking Norwich's runner. Where was Nyom, where was Bartley? Brunt lazy defending just go with the run instead of dangling leg out. rubbish penalty, good save Johnstone.

1-2 J Rod great strike. From what you can see on TV looks like the keeper lost the line of the ball. We'd be going mad if our keeper had let that in.

1-3 Fantastic goal. Really intelligent dummy from J Rod and what a finish from Harvey Barnes. That finish was outstanding. This boy has serious talent.

2-3 WTF was Nyom doing?

2-4 The sole reason Brunt gets in the team. Delivery from corner, Hegazi head back and good finish from Robson - Kanu. Note Hegazi wins the header. Just about the only defender we have that's won headers from our set pieces this season.

3-4 To be fair it's a good goal from Norwich. Hernandez great skill and cross, very difficult to defend against if the cross is that good. I won't be too critical of us for that one.

We complained about the boring football under Pulis / Pardew. Well it's not boring anymore lol.

Was at game, Nyom definitely at fault for first goal no attempt to close down winger and prevent cross. For penalty he was standing up the other end making no attempt to get back, Bartley was at least sprinting back trying to recover the position. Enough said about their second goal.
It was the worst display by a full back I can remember, the high lights didn’t show how many other times he didn’t close players down or was out of position and walking back. He was awful
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 11:41:51 AM by MarkW »

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #401 on: August 12, 2018, 09:32:23 AM »
Watching the highlights back again, keep your eye on Brunt and Nyom.  Brunt is clearly too slow and gets his positioning wrong a lot.  Even being a bit slower he still needs to get closer.

Nyom though, that's about as disinterested a performance you'll ever see.  Not just for the first goal and where he lost the ball for their 2nd, even with the chance at the end, they head it back across and he's just standing there with his arms behind his back.  He's got to challenge for that.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #402 on: August 12, 2018, 09:58:18 AM »
Watching the highlights back again, keep your eye on Brunt and Nyom.  Brunt is clearly too slow and gets his positioning wrong a lot.  Even being a bit slower he still needs to get closer.

Nyom though, that's about as disinterested a performance you'll ever see.  Not just for the first goal and where he lost the ball for their 2nd, even with the chance at the end, they head it back across and he's just standing there with his arms behind his back.  He's got to challenge for that.
I don't know what's happened with Nyom. One thing you could always rely on for him is 100% effort, but that's gone for whatever reason so we have to sign a replacement urgently. Ideally, we should move him on and sign 2 right-backs, but that's going to be difficult.

As for Brunt, if his overall play doesn't warrant a starting place then he should be left out. Keeping him in the side on the off chance that he might put across a good corner isn't sufficient, I'm sure we have others who can do that too. Brunt is absolutely not a cental midfielder, but there's nowhere else for him to play at present either - it looks like we have a decent left-back in Townsend and Barnes is doing very well as a left winger. The bottom line is that we can't have sacred cows and I'll be disappointed if I come to think that Darren is the kind of head coach to do that to avoid making brave but justified decisions.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #403 on: August 12, 2018, 10:13:45 AM »
Thought we looked a bit more like it going forward Yesterday , certainly the threat of Gayle had Norwich worried at times and I also felt JRod had a better game himself until shunted out wide left late on .
As the scoreline suggests our defence needs work , poor defending for all their goals and the daft penalty.  I worry every cross into the box leads to danger , we have huge defenders that should be attacking these and Johnstone needs to be a bit more commanding too .
Nyom had the worst game I've ever seen him have , don't know whats happened to him but he was never this bad.
Ending on a positive note Barnes looks to be some player , great goal. 4 goals away from home , Jrod off the mark and 3 points on the board.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #404 on: August 12, 2018, 10:41:04 AM »
Just as an aside…Interesting that Brentford have done away with appointing a captain. The thinking being that they want people to stand up and be leaders rather than having one who's appointed. It also obviously removes any awkwardness that may exist if you leave the captain out. I guess there must be a nominal captain appointed from the starting line-up but no official resident captain.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

Re: Match Highlights
« Reply #405 on: August 12, 2018, 12:57:02 PM »
Sky match highlights with no commentary: https://vimeo.com/284544915

Can do this every week if required?

Top man - thanks!
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #406 on: August 12, 2018, 01:36:38 PM »
Didn't go to the match, but just viewing the highlights you can see Nyom was badly at fault for at least 2 of the goals, and was poorly positioned with a chance they had to equalise at the end. No wonder Tosin was thrown in at the deep end at RB against Forest.

1 but preferably 2 CM's (especially if Chadli does leave) and a right-back needed on loan before the end of August. Do that business and bring Dawson back in at CB ASAP and I fancy our chances this season.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

Re: Match Highlights
« Reply #407 on: August 12, 2018, 03:54:34 PM »
cheers - was hoping we might get 3 or 4 minutes every week

The Forest highlights were 6 minutes as well, although we were live on Sky for that game.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #408 on: August 13, 2018, 08:55:18 AM »
I think Nyom, Gibbs and Hegazi have all been caught out by the more frantic nature of the championship, where you get harried  and hustled more than in the "cultured" prem.  They'd better get used to it quick.

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #409 on: August 13, 2018, 01:45:59 PM »
I think Nyom, Gibbs and Hegazi have all been caught out by the more frantic nature of the championship, where you get harried  and hustled more than in the "cultured" prem.  They'd better get used to it quick.

I think there is some truth in your comment about the frantic nature plus Bartley has only won about 2 headers in the 4 matches I have seen. In the Barnsley game Barley did't win a single header :(

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #410 on: August 13, 2018, 01:48:09 PM »
I honestly don't get the hate for Gibbs, he's not brilliant but he is pretty steady.  He tries to get forward, I remember him winning the ball back and having a decent effort on Saturday.  The problem he has is if Barnes goes forward as well, which is what you want, then he needs Brunt of Livermore to drop in, or Hegazi to move across. 

Look at the recent games and all the problems seem to come down our right hand side. 

baggieboyfred

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #411 on: August 13, 2018, 05:54:29 PM »
Well perhaps things are not quite as bad as I thought, having nicked a point against Forest and now this, still lots of probs especially in defence , but 4 goals all be it a couple gifted  can't be bad, if we can turn over Luton , tomorrow night and more importantly QPR Saturday then things will be looking up, I think we now need to start seeing the likes of Field and maybe Townsend on the pitch, the older guys are not doing it time for some younger legs to come in and lets start harnessing some of that energy and enthusiasm and no mean skill to boot