Author Topic: Pepe Mel  (Read 163772 times)

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

Pepe Mel
« on: June 30, 2014, 01:21:50 PM »
This thread has been created for those that wish to keep up to date with Pepe's future movements.

Fire away folks.  ;D
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Legend

• Senior Baggie

Re: Pepe Mel
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 01:30:29 PM »
I wish Mel all the best and hope he can find a job soon and be successful.
the regime don't like it man

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 01:43:11 PM »
He should still be here, he was never given a chance.I didnt want him in the first place but talk about poorly treated.Another incorrect appointment just like the one before and the one after him
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 02:58:35 PM »
I certainly hope he is given the opportunity he deserves. The man is a genuine, classy person.

Good luck Pepe.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 11:17:15 PM »
I sincerely genuinely hope, that all the people telling us what a "fantastic,great,charming wonderful "man he is ....stop it!!

This love in with a bloke who was here for 2 minutes and appeared tactically naive is embarrassing.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 08:30:06 AM »
I sincerely genuinely hope, that all the people telling us what a "fantastic,great,charming wonderful "man he is ....stop it!!

This love in with a bloke who was here for 2 minutes and appeared tactically naive is embarrassing.

Respect your opinion - but if this is the case why even visit this page? That's all a bit Mary Whitehouse...   ;)
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 10:02:23 AM »
Respect your opinion - but if this is the case why even visit this page? That's all a bit Mary Whitehouse...   ;)

Agreed.Why visit and reply if not interested.I will follow this page with much interest
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 06:51:17 PM »
Well, I go to the hawthorns when we play stoke, and I don't want to watch stoke?

My point is, he did nowt, and loads say what a great bloke he is, what's it based on?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 08:18:51 PM »
Well, I go to the hawthorns when we play stoke, and I don't want to watch stoke?

My point is, he did nowt, and loads say what a great bloke he is, what's it based on?

Well he was the head coach who took the club to survival if we're going to get technical about things.

I met Pepe Mel - a very nice bloke he was too. Despite his limited English he tried his damned hardest to comment to us in English and most of it made good sense too - that was in addition to his charm and his sense of humour. Oh yeah, and the fact he actually made fans feel appreciated - the praise he gave us in the media and the fact he would walk and applaud the supporters when so many of our players couldn't wait to **** of down the tunnel.

Just because he wasn't here very long doesn't mean supporters can't take too him.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 08:50:11 PM »
Well he was the head coach who took the club to survival if we're going to get technical about things.

I met Pepe Mel - a very nice bloke he was too. Despite his limited English he tried his damned hardest to comment to us in English and most of it made good sense too - that was in addition to his charm and his sense of humour. Oh yeah, and the fact he actually made fans feel appreciated - the praise he gave us in the media and the fact he would walk and applaud the supporters when so many of our players couldn't wait to **** of down the tunnel.

Just because he wasn't here very long doesn't mean supporters can't take too him.

Yes and I think that's the biggest point to be made. I really do not think we can argue either way about whether he would have been good for us. He was a bad fit for the squad we had - definitely not his fault - and he never got the chance to build his own squad.

So we move on. That doesn't mean we can't continue to take an interest in someone who clearly had the time of day for the most important commodity of any club, its supporters.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 09:05:00 PM »
This is a video which sums up Pepe Mel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8o6lnPx2XI

He takes the time to acknowledge supporters, even a high-five - compare Pepe Mel to the rest of them that get off that bus..

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 09:58:00 PM »

He takes the time to acknowledge supporters, even a high-five - compare Pepe Mel to the rest of them that get off that bus..

Brilliant, apart from Pepe, who else bothered? Ben, Reid, Jonas, Mulumbu, Mozza? Mel is an outstanding role model for how professional sports people should behave. Class, honesty, integrity.

Some see that and value it, some don't.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 10:48:49 PM »

That makes me genuinely miss him. I think with all the players needed we missed a big chance to become exciting with Mel. Ah well. VIVA LA ALAN

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 06:43:34 PM »
I certainly was in two minds about him when we first appointed him, but his passion, enthusiasm to try and succeed at the club was for all to see.  Mel kept us up and this was from what I saw players not playing as well as what they could have done and throwing away leads.  I hope he gets another job sometime soon.

All the best Pepe.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

PepeMel

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 06:10:19 PM »
I love you Pepe Mel :-*

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2014, 08:17:49 AM »

Absolutely, and all of it was clearly genuine and not put on. Note the drastic contrast to the Chuckle Brothers, who ignored the fans completely.

I am so disappointed that Pepe never got the opportunity to bring some players in who were more suited to the style of play he wanted to use. ironically, I still maintain that we looked at our best during his tenure during the parts of matches where the high-pressing style he prefers was attempted. The players just didn't have the energy/conviction to sustain it throughout a match.

I see Real Betis have appopinted Julio Velazquez, so Pepe might have to wait for his next opportunity now whilst, no doubt, reflecting on how badly treated he was by all concerned at Albion.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2014, 09:56:43 PM »
Is anyone else pondering the irony that many of the signings we've made would seem to be the kind of players who would also have been more adept at playing the pressing game that Pepe Mel wanted us to adopt?

pete

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 07:33:36 AM »
Is anyone else pondering the irony that many of the signings we've made would seem to be the kind of players who would also have been more adept at playing the pressing game that Pepe Mel wanted us to adopt?
Mate I mentioned that before, why would JP RISK all this money with AI and NOT PM?  Surely it would have been more beneficial to give Pepe the money and not an unproven manager!
Kiss and make up sex is the best around, after all its better than no sex!

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2014, 01:07:39 PM »
One thing we can thank Pep for is he indirectly galvanised the fans to give the club the huge kick up the ass it needed.
We can argue about style of play, suitablity os players etc, etc, but I think everyone has to acknowledge the humanity of the man. i hope his tenure proves to have been a turning point. Alan irvine could do well to look at how Pep conducted himself and follow that example. Can a dour scot do that, well it remains to be seen.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 02:44:24 PM »
Mate I mentioned that before, why would JP RISK all this money with AI and NOT PM?  Surely it would have been more beneficial to give Pepe the money and not an unproven manager!

Player power, they had no respect for Pepe, not sure they have it for AI but they do like Downing and Goalie Coach and Irvine facilitates their ongoing employment.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2014, 03:25:46 PM »
Look at Mel's record before joining Betis, sacked from nearly every club and only really had success at Betis. I wonder if their fans were saying what a failure he was and how he should never have been near the job.

PepeMel

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2014, 04:45:36 PM »
Have i found employment yet

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2014, 10:19:32 PM »
Have i found employment yet

I hope so, we seem to have a habitual slagging off now of you Jack. Sorry, my mistook, Pep.

Don't listen to them other beggars. They know not of what they speak. Power to you Mr. Perez.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2014, 10:23:57 PM »
Look at Mel's record before joining Betis, sacked from nearly every club and only really had success at Betis. I wonder if their fans were saying what a failure he was and how he should never have been near the job.

Look at Alan Irvine's record.Or I can actually make a list of our last few managers if that helps..... it doesn't set the footballing world on fire....

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2014, 10:36:53 PM »
Look at Alan Irvine's record.Or I can actually make a list of our last few managers if that helps..... it doesn't set the footballing world on fire....

That was my point, too much is looked at previous records when the person appointed could be perfect for the club he's at. Look at Felix Magath and his successful CV yet he relegated Fulham and now struggling in the Championship. Football fans in general look at coaches who've done great at bigger clubs and think they'll automatically be a success at their club and likewise coaches who've done a poor job somewhere will be dismissed unfairly by some supporters. Anyway on topic, I'm sure Mel will end up coaching some Spanish club in the second division and doing a decent job.