Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 725077 times)

baggie_liam

• Youth Baggie

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #2350 on: May 21, 2019, 01:38:15 PM »
I wouldn’t be surprised if it ended up being Shan afterall...

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2351 on: May 21, 2019, 01:38:41 PM »
Just looked on skybet,

8/15  Cowley
4/1    hughton
9/2    O'neill

66/1   Mourinho

Mourinho 275/1 with Paddy Power. Seems more accurate to me. Not a bad difference though is there 209 points.  :o

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2352 on: May 21, 2019, 01:52:23 PM »
I though it was established a week ago that Appleton is not on the list?

I don't think that's right. It was taken from Skybet "Odds on West Brom manager at start of season" where MA wasn't on the list.

Looking at Oddschecker, MA is 4th on the on the list that's open, which is with PaddyPower

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/west-brom/next-permanent-manager
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2353 on: May 21, 2019, 01:58:16 PM »
O'Neill has done an excellent job at Northern Ireland - whilst pragmatic their approach at Windsor Park has often been entertaining - it has not been swash buckling football but its making the most of the resources available to him. Whether he can transition to day-to-day management remains to be seen

There does seem to be a trend to the managers we are looking at so it would appear at least that the club have some sort of vision in place.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2354 on: May 21, 2019, 02:08:14 PM »
O'Neill has done an excellent job at Northern Ireland - whilst pragmatic their approach at Windsor Park has often been entertaining - it has not been swash buckling football but its making the most of the resources available to him. Whether he can transition to day-to-day management remains to be seen

There does seem to be a trend to the managers we are looking at so it would appear at least that the club have some sort of vision in place.

He's done a similar job to what Lawrie Sanchez did there - and look how his club career went.

Northern Ireland are an extremely pragmatic team based round set piece goals, organisation and discipline. Which is fine, you need that, but I can't imagine many people would describe them as "often entertaining". If you were entertained by the football we produced under Shan, then maybe.

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #2355 on: May 21, 2019, 02:14:58 PM »
Close the threat it will be Appleton! Cheapest option of course.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2356 on: May 21, 2019, 02:22:09 PM »
I wish we'd bloody stop dithering and get on with it. Lai could surely afford the salary of a top manager to try and lead us out of the mess we are in. He won't though because he's a joke :-[

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2357 on: May 21, 2019, 02:27:32 PM »
He's done a similar job to what Lawrie Sanchez did there - and look how his club career went.

Northern Ireland are an extremely pragmatic team based round set piece goals, organisation and discipline. Which is fine, you need that, but I can't imagine many people would describe them as "often entertaining". If you were entertained by the football we produced under Shan, then maybe.

His job has been decidedly better than Sanchez - nor was it a recommendation that we should appoint him, merely an observation of the job he has done.

Not sure how much of Northern Ireland you have seen? As a regular watch of the national team then the football, whilst pragmatic, has produced entertaining matches/nights at Windsor Park. I don't enjoy the style away from Belfast but as I eluded to in my initial post, he makes the most of the resources which are available to him. That will appeal to a board who will try to cut costs and obtain a promotion by spending the smallest amounts possible.

I think if you're expecting someone to come in and transform our playing style from one of organisation and discipline, then you will be the disappointed one.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 02:29:50 PM by LiamTheBaggie »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2358 on: May 21, 2019, 02:50:09 PM »
His job has been decidedly better than Sanchez - nor was it a recommendation that we should appoint him, merely an observation of the job he has done.

Not sure how much of Northern Ireland you have seen? As a regular watch of the national team then the football, whilst pragmatic, has produced entertaining matches/nights at Windsor Park. I don't enjoy the style away from Belfast but as I eluded to in my initial post, he makes the most of the resources which are available to him. That will appeal to a board who will try to cut costs and obtain a promotion by spending the smallest amounts possible.

I think if you're expecting someone to come in and transform our playing style from one of organisation and discipline, then you will be the disappointed one.

Not really though, Lawrie Sanchez had much tougher groups to qualify from. He still has the same win percentage as O'Neill and didn't have the benefit of expanded Euro's to qualify through either.

I don't expect a transformation but something better than the extremes of Pulis, which we certainly started becoming under Shan, and would become under O'Neill, is best avoided. There's a difference between defensive sides with some technical quality, and defensive sides devoid of any entertainment and technical ability - something O'Neill would threaten to make us, even disregarding his lack of qualifications.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2359 on: May 21, 2019, 02:57:35 PM »
Not going to be O'Neill, or so the BBC understands................

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48349902

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2360 on: May 21, 2019, 03:00:44 PM »
I mentioned his name a few pages back. Have a feeling he would be setting his sight at a better job than us. Especially when the board will probably tell him he doesn’t really have any money to build his own team until we shift our players.

I think you might find that Feyenoord's budget and ours is not too dissimilar. They do develop a fair numbers of players through their academy. But I know van Bronckhorst had a long association with that club, which would have been a factor in keeping him there. 

I think though it is a long shot, as he's tasted football as a player at Arsenal and Barcelona.  Still, worth asking the question though. He might know Kieran Gibbs!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 03:03:12 PM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

AidantheBaggies

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2361 on: May 21, 2019, 03:02:39 PM »
I can see it being Appleton.
Lee Probert's Barmy Army!!!

jim68

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2362 on: May 21, 2019, 04:50:06 PM »
We need another Ron Atkinson, don't we.
Someone who seems to come out of almost nowhere and turns out to be pure gold...
yeah and cleared off not once but twice leaving us in the lurch . :'(

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2363 on: May 21, 2019, 05:24:29 PM »
Several outlets now reporting that we've "opened talks" with Cowley.

Would imagine they'll also do the same for Hughton and whoever the other two are on our shortlist.

Not too fussed as long as Appleton is not on that list.
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2364 on: May 21, 2019, 05:25:59 PM »
Nixon said its between Cowley, Hughton and Appleton but who knows how accurate that is.

Albertbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2365 on: May 21, 2019, 05:27:20 PM »
I though it was established a week ago that Appleton is not on the list?
That's what I thought - well, it's what the Brum Mail said, however much credence we take from them..
‏
Verified account
@PaulSuartWBA  May 17: Appleton and Shan aren't on the shortlist. Could be two more leftfield candidates.

Floydy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2366 on: May 21, 2019, 05:35:16 PM »
I'm disappointed at Daniel Stendel from Barnsley isn't in the frame.  He's done a great job getting them promoted after rebuilding the team after relegation despite losing his main striker at the start of the season and then Kieffer Moore being ruled out from mid-season through concussion.
Twitter: @floydy1983

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2367 on: May 21, 2019, 05:46:33 PM »
Nixon said its between Cowley, Hughton and Appleton but who knows how accurate that is.

The board seem to be lining up a transfer budget that a manger from Lincoln would be familiar with...

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2368 on: May 21, 2019, 06:18:47 PM »
League One are you ready for us?  >:(
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2369 on: May 21, 2019, 07:31:38 PM »
The board seem to be lining up a transfer budget that a manger from Lincoln would be familiar with...

Spot on fear from our penny pinching incompetent fools.
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2370 on: May 21, 2019, 07:36:06 PM »
I hope we get Cowley, looking at his Wikipedia his career so far has been filled with promotions and record-breaking success in the lower leagues, Hughton is more of the same old.

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2371 on: May 21, 2019, 07:44:43 PM »
I hope we get Cowley, looking at his Wikipedia his career so far has been filled with promotions and record-breaking success in the lower leagues, Hughton is more of the same old.

Really? There are plenty of managers in the lower divisions with similar achievements that would be just as suitable. Personally I think Cowley would be a terrible appointment.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2372 on: May 21, 2019, 08:01:39 PM »
Really? There are plenty of managers in the lower divisions with similar achievements that would be just as suitable. Personally I think Cowley would be a terrible appointment.

I think promotions from the conference to league 1 in 3 seasons is excellent. I'm sure there's other successful managers down there too with equally great records, it still doesn't mean he's not done well.

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2373 on: May 21, 2019, 08:12:19 PM »
Those saying we're obviously going to employ Appleton aren't looking at the full picture.

We'll faff about for a month, and THEN employ Appleton.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2374 on: May 21, 2019, 08:15:30 PM »
The best managers usually played at low levels or not at all, like Hodgson, Atkinson, Mcmenemy, Wenger and Mourinho to name a few.
Just because they were great players like Robson, Don Howe etc desn't make them great managers.
The only worry i have with Cowley is the style of play, i hope he is a manager who can adapt to the tools he is given if you pardon the pun. That's if he comes.
I think i would sooner see him than all the other tired old names we keep hearing of.

If he turns us down then it really is time to worry.