Author Topic: Local papers  (Read 5880 times)

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

Local papers
« on: May 06, 2014, 12:57:19 PM »
I know we have touched on national media before, but I really want to make a point about the biased reporting in the Express and Star.  For months now we have seen a relentless diatribe of Wonderful Wolves and woeful Albion.  If Wolves loose it is always narrow or an heroic struggle.  We surrender or are poor.  On the site today it has a compilation of clips of Berehino falling over.  This could be done for any footballer, why for ours?

Surely as the Black Country's premiership team we chould count on support?  The coverage in Norfolk of Norwich in the local press is wall to wall and solid.

the Evening Mail makes no secret of its support for Birmingham teams (clue is in the title).  However it has by far the better football coverage and real insights into what is happening in the club which the Express and Star can only dream of.

Welcome other views.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Local papers
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 01:06:18 PM »
Echo yr comments on EDP and their support of all things canary.

E&S very likely have a staff base in Dinglehampton and thus the bias. Treat the rag with contempt and certainly do not buy it.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 01:07:17 PM »
Do the E&S still have an office in Blake Lake?
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 01:10:06 PM »
Don't buy it...Simples  8)

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 01:10:55 PM »
I know we have touched on national media before, but I really want to make a point about the biased reporting in the Express and Star.  For months now we have seen a relentless diatribe of Wonderful Wolves and woeful Albion.  If Wolves loose it is always narrow or an heroic struggle.  We surrender or are poor.  On the site today it has a compilation of clips of Berehino falling over.  This could be done for any footballer, why for ours?

Surely as the Black Country's premiership team we chould count on support?  The coverage in Norfolk of Norwich in the local press is wall to wall and solid.

the Evening Mail makes no secret of its support for Birmingham teams (clue is in the title).  However it has by far the better football coverage and real insights into what is happening in the club which the Express and Star can only dream of.

Welcome other views.

Impossible to disagree with anything you say. While I'm sure all football fans feel their clubs are harshly treated by the media it does seem blindingly obvious that our friends down the road, in their heroic struggle against the might of the THIRD TEIR OF ENGLISH FOOTBALL, have received very favourable reviews whilst beating teams from the THIRD TEIR OF ENGLISH FOOTBALL., while we, pitting ourselves against mega million pound superstars in the Top division, seem to be given enormous stick by the Wolverhampton E&D.

I believe the word is jealous.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 01:22:50 PM »
Alternatives to jealous please

I'll start

Bitter !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 03:22:26 PM »
I have to be honest i think the Brum Mail and Express and Star reporters do a good job, i dont know that much about the papers other than the sport but i think they seem quite fair.

In the Wolves case, for two years they have been a laughing stock, this season they have stormed the league, got fans back through the gates, been entertaining and there is generally a positive feel around their club again at the moment which the paper will always pick up on, i could be wrong but i bet if you look at reports on the Wolves from this time last year it would be very different!

This season for us has been mainly a negative one, not just on the pitch but off the pitch and so they can only report what they see, i always think Steve Madeley especially is very fair and seems to add a bit of humour too. Chris L seems to provide more breaking news about us and in the know on certain things.

I think the National Media is different, we arent a big deal to them, they are pretty much interested in the top 6 and then Villa, West Ham and Newcastle, all once big clubs who promise lots but deliver nothing, crisis and turmoil clubs where everyday is a drama. This season we have had more negative stuff happening than normal seasons but I think like the other 10-12 clubs in the premiership we are of little interest to the national media.

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 11:27:38 PM »
the express and star is first and foremost a Wolverhampton paper that's where its based when wolves won the Disney league,they had 3 days worth of pullouts,we wouldn't have got that amout of coverage if we won the prem and fa cup in the same season

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 11:35:00 PM »
the express and star is first and foremost a Wolverhampton paper that's where its based when wolves won the Disney league,they had 3 days worth of pullouts,we wouldn't have got that amout of coverage if we won the prem and fa cup in the same season

They would turn it into a negative "Lucky Albion do the double, should have been the treble"
the regime don't like it man

row ww

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 12:55:06 PM »
From todays E&S. Spot the mistake!

"But Norwich, who occupy the final relegation spot at present, could still overhaul Sunderland if the Black Cats fail to collect anymore points and the Canaries beat Norwich at Carrow Road on Sunday".
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 12:57:28 PM by row ww »

freddy73

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 01:10:28 PM »
What do you expect from a rag who's headline from the last but one BCD that them lot won was "Wonder Wolves Bash Baggies"
To remind everyone, it was when they beat us 1-0 & Matt Murray saved about 6 one on ones, making him Man Of The Match in every single
national newspaper. Hardly the "bashing" that the headline suggested.
On a side note, we won the other 4 BCD that season & received nothing like the fanfare that 1 result got!!!!!
Nothing but a jealous spouter of Dingle propaganda!!!

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 01:22:03 PM »
I like it if im being honest but maybe that's more down to just me as a person i couldn't stand the whole love affair with us under mowbray in the prem in the ways of being a soft touch and rolling over having our tummies tickled, I think the more hostile stories are a result of us establishing ourselves in the prem for another year regardless of how we have achieved it, Even if our record against villa could be better i honestly dont see much between the sides now and that has transformed from us being a better side than wolves but a country mile behind witton fc, I like it bottom line i couldnt care what they write about us in the papers.

Brummie Road

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 07:04:55 PM »

Welcome other views.

I guess the E&S is always going to predominately cover the Dingles, with it being a Wolverhampton newspaper. Appreciate it also covers the Black Country as a whole but I suppose the emphasis will be on Wolves as I would imagine the majority of their readers who follow the football would predominantly be Wolves fans.

The one thing about Albion, being located right in the middle of the West Mids conurbation, is even parts of the Black Country considered to be big Albion catchment areas are full of Villa and Wolves, plus all the usual boring glory hunters, everywhere you go we're surrounded by "enemies"!!

It must be quite pleasant to be a football supporter of you're local club in a one club town.   

Oldbaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 07:13:47 PM »
Cancelled the E&S a month ago. I live in Smethwick and besides the bias to the dingles on the sports pages the paper's news is all from the Wolverhampton area, so not worth buying.

stripes

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 07:34:12 PM »
Different media,but bitterness is the cloak that anchor man and side kick on SkySaints soccerclub on Saturday,belittle the Albion.Even the bimbos.I have a theory that when Albion and Potsmouth in a wonderful game sent Pompey down but also the scummers Soton,9 years ago.Witness the anchor muppet asking when we won a match,asked the reporterDid they play well? The DVD of the epic 5-5 draw with the Reds at the  Shrine was waved at the viewers here you are you can the corner you got.Despicable behaviour Matt Murry comentating on the 3-3 deacle against Cardiff was roaring in laughter.
 End of rant.

RedHead_Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 10:11:27 PM »
Cancelled the E&S a month ago. I live in Smethwick and besides the bias to the dingles on the sports pages the paper's news is all from the Wolverhampton area, so not worth buying.

I've done the same.

If they want Wolves pull outs in the Wolverhampton version of the paper then that's fair enough but certainly don't expect it in the version I pick up. It's been going on for week's now.

It must be a big achievement getting out of League 1.

Trouble is if you have the Birmingham Evening Mail then it's all Villa so you can't win really.

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2014, 01:31:11 PM »
I find the Black Country Mail great for Albion coverage - stopped getting the Star few years back because of the wall to wall Wolves coverage in the Sandwell edition.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2014, 01:37:11 PM »
CL seems to act like a spoilt kid these days IMO. Some of his responses to people one Twitter come across as rude and abrupt.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2014, 01:39:39 PM »
Whatever happened to the Sports Argus??

Best football paper ever that was...was pretty much even for all the clubs and also gave you a good non-league round-up.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2014, 02:06:38 PM »
I guess the E&S is always going to predominately cover the Dingles, with it being a Wolverhampton newspaper. Appreciate it also covers the Black Country as a whole but I suppose the emphasis will be on Wolves as I would imagine the majority of their readers who follow the football would predominantly be Wolves fans.

The one thing about Albion, being located right in the middle of the West Mids conurbation, is even parts of the Black Country considered to be big Albion catchment areas are full of Villa and Wolves, plus all the usual boring glory hunters, everywhere you go we're surrounded by "enemies"!!

It must be quite pleasant to be a football supporter of you're local club in a one club town.

Do I get a point for spotting the contradiction? :D
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2014, 02:23:54 PM »
Whatever happened to the Sports Argus??

Best football paper ever that was...was pretty much even for all the clubs and also gave you a good non-league round-up.

It folded.... bu dum dum.

Statham4england

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2014, 07:24:11 AM »
Chris Lepkowski is excellent on the Mail

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2014, 11:07:05 AM »
The E & S is the same as radio WM....wolves wolves wolves and then a little labion through gritted teeth. Birmingham Mail is a much better/well balanced read.

swad35

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2014, 11:14:13 AM »
It folded.... bu dum dum.

That's a real shame remember being in it as a kid for Sunday league football, great feeling seeing your name in the paper.

mifos

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2014, 06:33:19 PM »
I used to have the E&S delivered, but cancelled due to its anti Albion bias. I use their web-site and the bias seems to be worse than ever ; I sometimes leave comments on their stories pointing this out .... often the moderators fail to publish my comments despite, as far as I know, not breaching any of the rules; it seems criticising their journalistic standards is enough to get you censored.

As a local paper I don't understand why they can't write balanced , constructive articles about all of the local clubs.

Some may see it as a natural Wolves bias as its a Wolverhampton based paper, but I believe the issue is damaging to our club in the long term; the E&S readership is from all over the black country and so covers the main areas of Albion support; those who do not follow the club as closely as others, or those unaware of the biased editorial stance, may simply read their rubbish and believe it.

We can't do much about it; but I'd urge all Baggies to boycott the E&S. Also, the more people realise its written by Wolves fans for Wolves fans, and to take it with a pinch of salt, the better