Poll

Will you be taking up your option of receiving the Covid vaccine.

Yes
90 (86.5%)
No
11 (10.6%)
Undecided
3 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 104

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1185167 times)

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

Coronavirus
« on: February 27, 2020, 06:46:11 PM »
Anyone been quaranted yet?  ;D

« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 12:47:28 PM by Political Cake »
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 07:12:05 PM »
Anyone been quaranted yet?  ;D

or even quarantined  ;)
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 07:25:10 PM »
or even quarantined  ;)

That to!

Stock markets in free fall, school closures, no wonder the boomers don't care for climate change they have bigger things to worry about!
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 08:49:50 PM »
Somebody that works for the same company as me is! He's been to Italy recently.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 12:20:22 AM »
I tried to get the missus done, but she isn't having it sadly
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 09:49:30 AM »
on a slightly more serious note,
I find it troubling that this virus is generating the hysteria it is with around 3k deaths to date, this is insignificant when judged against crises like Syria / Yemen / Venezuela......
also the "normal" influenza strain will have a heavier toll
a natural disaster like an earthquake / tsunami can kill many times more instantly.

Yes there is potential for this to become significant but at the moment does it justify the reaction / coverage its getting?

We would be far better focussing on world hunger TBH
Albion Family !!!

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 10:01:53 AM »
on a slightly more serious note,
I find it troubling that this virus is generating the hysteria it is with around 3k deaths to date, this is insignificant when judged against crises like Syria / Yemen / Venezuela......
also the "normal" influenza strain will have a heavier toll
a natural disaster like an earthquake / tsunami can kill many times more instantly.

Yes there is potential for this to become significant but at the moment does it justify the reaction / coverage its getting?

We would be far better focussing on world hunger TBH

the cynic in me wonders if the coverage it has received is because it is affecting people in the 1st world, where as the crises that you mention mainly/only affect people in the 3rd world?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 11:11:42 AM by Hull Baggie »

Davros1582

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 10:14:23 AM »
does anyone know where the 2nd world is?

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 10:18:51 AM »
i wondered when this topic would arrive, lets hope non of us make the kick the bucket list
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 10:19:31 AM »

underground apparently. all the top politicians and the mega rich know about this

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2020, 11:01:40 AM »

I thought it was a socio-economic definition, but its not according to this, this claims its more of a political construct

https://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/third_world_countries.htm
Albion Family !!!

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2020, 11:03:33 AM »
it’s mostly the ex soviet and communist states, the Cuba’s and Ukraine’s of the world

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2020, 11:12:08 AM »
the cynic in me wonders if the coverage it has received is because it is affecting people in the 1st world, where as the crises that you mention only affect people in the 3rd world?
of course, it’s active news that effects people either directly via infection or indirectly through travel restrictions. Add that it hadn’t got a cure until recently and we are still a while away from a viable sellable drug and it having a fast news cycle as developments are happening all the time and it’s a media goldmine.

Venezuela effects Venezuelans, Yemen effects Yemenis, a tsunami effects a local area but a viral pandemic effects everyone. You can sell it much better to more people.

Political Cake

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

• Oh So Fabulous

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2020, 12:46:17 PM »
Add that it hadn’t got a cure until recently and we are still a while away from a viable sellable drug...

Viruses can't be 'cured' in the way we consider bacterial infections (etc) can be with antibiotics.

Generally, it's up to your own immune system to systematically eliminate it from you; this is what vaccines try to encourage such that any new infection (of the same) fails to manifest. Some viruses are well adapted to avoid the immune system by either 'changing unrecognisably' or moving to unreachable areas.

The only other common management strategy, for now, is the use of antiviral drugs. It's important to note that these do not actively remove or destroy viruses at all; they just inhibit either their development or spread. Some viruses can stay dormant in cells, enabling the infection to re-establish itself if there's no longer any antivirals to stop them... This happens, for example, in the very common herpes simplex viruses (you know, the one which gives you cold sores?) and is why they will flare up every so often.. if you've had a cold sore once, you'll always have that symptom come up occasionally again and again. HIV is another example of similar behaviour. Even then, the drugs themselves need to be affective against what they're meant to be.

However, most viruses are able to be properly eliminated by the body eventually, it's just a matter of decent research about this particular one to determine more about it. It really should be quite like the other few human coronoviruses which are common. As always, the main concern is both its contagiousness and its ability to induce pneumonia (either directly or indirectly via resulting weak immune system). The most worrying virus for us would be one which was extremely contagious and highly (but not totally) lethal in at least one way - this is only as or less contagious as most viruses causing the cold and is a lot more challenging for elderly lungs.

The main idea is to contain it best as possible; in worst case spread if everyone's going to contract it eventually, you definitely don't want it happen all at once, and definitely not during winter where there are other things to contend with (ie; secondary infections and saturated healthcare services). There is only so much facility available...
WestBromwichAlbion

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2020, 01:17:23 PM »
Out f the body, cold viruses persist on hard surfaces for 7 days;  flu viruses: 24 hours; infectious flu on tissues 15 minutes.

So buy tissues, dispose immediately after use, wash hands. wash hands, wash hands - especially before cooking and touching eyes and mouth.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2020, 01:55:11 PM »
first brit to die, one of the passengers on the japanese cruise

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2020, 02:03:34 PM »
just listening to radio, if it continues at the rate it is, most sports are going to be affected, season could be over soon folks. we are promoted

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2020, 02:19:49 PM »
just listening to radio, if it continues at the rate it is, most sports are going to be affected, season could be over soon folks. we are promoted

They'll finish the season behind closed doors if necessary, can't see it having any impact though.

Can see why the Swiss are doing it, they've got a huge open land border with Northern Italy. There is no actual outbreak in the UK, just residual cases from abroad.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2020, 02:40:11 PM »
sorry to say but all travel to and from abroad needs to be stopped. NOW.unfortuanately those currently abroad cant come back at this moment in time

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2020, 04:44:51 PM »
sorry to say but all travel to and from abroad needs to be stopped. NOW.unfortuanately those currently abroad cant come back at this moment in time

Or let them back after 2 weeks of isolation.

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2020, 04:51:24 PM »
I seriously doubt euro 2020 will be going ahead all over Europe. Especially when you think of the people travelling all around.

I'm going to watch a game in Bucharest the opening weekend, I cant see it happening myself.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2020, 05:39:03 PM »
Out f the body, cold viruses persist on hard surfaces for 7 days;  flu viruses: 24 hours; infectious flu on tissues 15 minutes.

So buy tissues, dispose immediately after use, wash hands. wash hands, wash hands - especially before cooking and touching eyes and mouth.

I might have been too dramatic with my selection from the following article:
http://jamaicahospital.org/newsletter/how-long-can-viruses-live-outside-the-body/

later on:-

"How long these germs are actually capable of infecting you is a different story. In general, viruses are not likely to be a danger on surfaces very long. In fact, while cold viruses can live for several days, their ability to cause infection decreases after approximately 24 hours, and after only five minutes, the amount of flu virus on hands fall to low levels, making transmission much less likely."

There's a chance for the human race yet.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2020, 06:50:58 PM »
Yet another reason that I don't put an ungloved hand on a rail (escalators etc.)
You don't know who coughed or sneezed into their hand, and then held onto the rail, thus depositing germs and goo etc.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2020, 09:42:52 PM »
Yet another reason that I don't put an ungloved hand on a rail (escalators etc.)
You don't know who coughed or sneezed into their hand, and then held onto the rail, thus depositing germs and goo etc.

What if you aye got any gloves?
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2020, 10:24:42 PM »
Be careful.
It does take a bit of balance.