Author Topic: Under 23's / Academy Thread  (Read 646270 times)

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

Re: Under 23's / Academy Thread
« Reply #1175 on: May 28, 2019, 11:02:06 AM »
I wonder if it will be televised, hope so.

Usually on Eurosport I think
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1176 on: June 03, 2019, 10:36:27 AM »
https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2019/june/duo-start-in-toulon-tournament-opener/

Field played full game, Edwards played 75 mins. Forgot it was on to be honest so no idea how either played.

Next game is tomorrow but team is usually rotated if I remember from other years.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1177 on: June 03, 2019, 11:00:13 AM »
England 1 - Japan 2, dour uninspiring performance by all accounts.

the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1178 on: June 03, 2019, 02:31:02 PM »
Dara O’Shea about to play for Ireland against China. also playing is former youth player Zach Elbouzedi.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1179 on: June 05, 2019, 03:28:47 PM »
U-23’s Pre season game against Leamington confirmed for the 27th July at 3:00pm

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1180 on: June 11, 2019, 10:11:49 AM »
Bit of a blow for the baggies

Percy reporting that Mark Harrison is leaving us after 13 years to join Villa in a similar role.

Has played a huge part in building our academy. I did hear a whisper that he has had a falling out with Jenkins but not sure on how much truth there is with that.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 10:18:42 AM by Mister AT »

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1181 on: June 11, 2019, 03:30:21 PM »
That is an enormous blow if Harrison is leaving to become head of Villa Academy. The Academy is one of the great success stories at the club, producing more England iinternationals than Man U and L'pool. If that means less quality players being produced within the club, that makes us even more dependant on what we can find in the transfer market, with reduced funds available.
The club must try to find the best possible replacement for Harrison. This is an important position. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1182 on: June 11, 2019, 04:44:22 PM »
Another blow to the Academy - Sky Sports Is reporting that Barcelona are interested in signing talented 15 year old striker Louie Barry who has been at the club since he was six. Bloody daylight robbery!

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1183 on: June 11, 2019, 04:54:15 PM »
Another blow to the Academy - Sky Sports Is reporting that Barcelona are interested in signing talented 15 year old striker Louie Barry who has been at the club since he was six. Bloody daylight robbery!
Whilst you can see the attraction of Barca for a young kid, his parents ought to be thinking about what taking him away from his school might do to his overall  education.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1184 on: June 11, 2019, 04:54:35 PM »
As I said in another thread, there is a possibility we could loose some of our better younger players to Vile if Harrison goes there
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1185 on: June 11, 2019, 04:59:27 PM »
To be honest, our academy is great but we've not had a structure which has enabled us to get the best out of it (financially by selling on talent or by fast tracking into the first team). It's too simple to say we've had Pulis who didn't trust kids but instead, the way our club has been run for 10 years on a very short term basis has nullified any positive effects the academy could've had.

You use it or loose it!

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1186 on: June 11, 2019, 05:13:54 PM »
As I said in another thread, there is a possibility we could loose some of our better younger players to Vile if Harrison goes there

Have to say, I doubt that for two reasons:

He is almost certain to have a clause in his contract where he is prohibited to poach any of our players or disclose any of our plans for a period of time.

As GM, Mark Harrison would have a strategic position within the academy & it's unlikely that any of the scholars would have any direct contact with him.

I believe Villa want him for his expertise in developing their academy.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1187 on: June 11, 2019, 06:07:43 PM »

He is almost certain to have a clause in his contract where he is prohibited to poach any of our players or disclose any of our plans for a period of time.

As GM, Mark Harrison would have a strategic position within the academy & it's unlikely that any of the scholars would have any direct contact with him.

I do hope you are right baggiejohn, but in my experience contract clauses like those you refer to are not always adhered to, ways can be found round them
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1188 on: June 11, 2019, 06:11:18 PM »
Howkins has joined Newport county.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1189 on: June 11, 2019, 06:50:09 PM »
Jenkins cutting cost no doubt, haven't got a first team coach so why bother with academy manager. Best crop of youngsters coming through since 75 and clowns in charge are doing their best to f it up. Lai and Jenkins do one.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1190 on: June 11, 2019, 07:41:32 PM »
Disappointing news re Harrison. He's always sounded like someone who is dedicated and knows what they are doing in any stuff I've read about him.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1191 on: June 11, 2019, 08:13:30 PM »
Whilst you can see the attraction of Barca for a young kid, his parents ought to be thinking about what taking him away from his school might do to his overall  education.
I should imagine an education would take second place to a career in football. Especially when it’s with one of the worlds top clubs. He can always catch up on algebra at a later date.  :D
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1192 on: June 11, 2019, 08:20:16 PM »
I should imagine an education would take second place to a career in football. Especially when it’s with one of the worlds top clubs. He can always catch up on algebra at a later date.  :D

I would suggest he will probably receive as good as if not better education in Spain, whilst becoming bilingual
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Blandy

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #1193 on: June 11, 2019, 10:14:40 PM »

No idea about the contract clause thing, but take it from me, Mark Harrison knows every academy player from U9 to U23. Every single one.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1194 on: June 12, 2019, 12:10:50 AM »
I would suggest he will probably receive as good as if not better education in Spain, whilst becoming bilingual
He’ll have to learn Catalan then. Which will come in useful in Barcelona and Mallorca.  ;D
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1195 on: June 12, 2019, 01:56:48 PM »
How good is this kid of ours?
Does Bilic have a track record of bringing young lads through to the first team?
How old is the kid,16?
Is he as good as Trevor Francis or Rooney at 16?
Surely Bilic would want to see all our players before letting him go and we wouldn't be so stupid to let him go before appointing a new HC would we?
If he is good enough play him,keep him in the first team squad it'd be great to see him succeed with us.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1196 on: June 12, 2019, 02:06:39 PM »
Does Bilic have a track record of bringing young lads through to the first team?
How old is the kid,16?
Surely Bilic would want to see all our players before letting him go and we wouldn't be so stupid to let him go before appointing a new HC would we?
If he is good enough play him,keep him in the first team squad it'd be great to see him succeed with us.

Think he's 15, hence why we can't sign him to a contract. It's not about us "letting him go", it's about us being unable to stop him if he wanted to move.

He/him

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1197 on: June 12, 2019, 02:07:17 PM »
He’ll have to learn Catalan then. Which will come in useful in Barcelona and Mallorca.  ;D

He could end up being trilingual then, as most people in Barcelona are bilingual speaking Catalan and Spanish  ;)
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1198 on: June 12, 2019, 02:27:59 PM »
How old is the kid,16?

He's 15.
The one good factor is he's been at us from a very young age and is meant to be a big baggies fan, the downside is its arguably one of the biggest clubs in the world wanting him and there isn't really too much we can do about it.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1199 on: June 12, 2019, 02:37:21 PM »
He's 15.
The one good factor is he's been at us from a very young age and is meant to be a big baggies fan, the downside is its arguably one of the biggest clubs in the world wanting him and there isn't really too much we can do about it.

It's the biggest attraction in the world surely? Put yourself in Barry's shoes. Personally as an Albion fan I'd turn down the Liverpool's and Manchester's but Barcelona? To learn off Lionel Messi or Jake Livermore? Sometimes the opportunity is just impossible to refuse.