Author Topic: "This squad is rotten...."  (Read 7609 times)

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

"This squad is rotten...."
« on: October 01, 2022, 08:21:17 PM »
As above , I'm not so convinced about the squad being so bad .
Yes its woefully short up front and has been for a few seasons (goals win games ) , we could do with a solid CB and RB (Kelly ?) . I'd like to see Palmer given his chance and we have Josh Griffiths doing very well out on loan again in the GK area.
This squad has players like O'Shea , Wallace , Swift , Okay , Rogic , Grady , Asante . You can add two or three decent young outfield players to those .
Its missing a few bits in key areas but it's not that bad , not as bad as results are showing .
I'm afraid at this point it comes back to the manager for on the field issues and those above him for lack of recruitment in correct areas .
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

Re: "This squad is rotten...."
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2022, 08:32:37 PM »
Agreed. The squad is not the issue. As with any squad, it needs improving in certain areas, but whose squad doesn’t? Reading are flying high in the league and their squad is dire. There are no excuses for the manager having us in this position with the players at his disposal.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2022, 08:36:34 PM »
I don't think the squad is the problem.

It could be stronger in some very obvious areas but the team have the talent to compete in this league. They seriously need motivation, confidence and structure but I don't feel much of that is down to them.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2022, 08:38:34 PM »
It's unbalanced because of our constant changing of managers and styles, and our woeful recruitment network. We've got some poor players compared to what we've been used to in our Prem years. And we've held on to a few for far too long as we all know.

But come on, look at the dross in this league... Even in spite of Bruce we've still looked better than pretty much every team we've played this season, look at Swansea today, set up properly and we'd have put them to the sword. Teams like Wigan, Rotherham and Blackpool find ways to win games with nowhere near the talent we have.

There's no way we have a squad that should be sat in 21st with 1 win in 11.

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2022, 11:54:42 PM »
Yes its woefully short up front and has been for a few seasons (goals win games ) , we could do with a solid CB and RB (Kelly ?) . I'd like to see Palmer given his chance and we have Josh Griffiths doing very well out on loan again in the GK area.
This squad has players like O'Shea , Wallace , Swift , Okay , Rogic , Grady , Asante . You can add two or three decent young outfield players to those .
Its missing a few bits in key areas but it's not that bad , not as bad as results are showing .
I'm afraid at this point it comes back to the manager for on the field issues and those above him for lack of recruitment in correct areas .
O shea at centre back will not get you promoted.
He’s ok next to a commanding centre half.
Today we did the opposite of a Tony Pulis team really and played 4 full backs. 
I like Dara he is committed and tries but needs an experienced head next to him other than Bartley

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2022, 11:55:57 PM »

Our defending is worse than terrible. Everyone delights that Bartley is no longer is involved and what is the consequence? Goals let in all over the park. We had to score 3 today just to get a draw which is a joke.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2022, 11:57:12 PM »
O shea at centre back will not get you promoted.
He’s ok next to a commanding centre half.
Today we did the opposite of a Tony Pulis team really and played 4 full backs. 
I like Dara he is committed and tries but needs an experienced head next to him other than Bartley

Agreed and I still think you are being a kind to Dara, had he not come through our academy he would have had pelters by now.

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2022, 12:03:25 AM »
Agreed and I still think you are being a kind to Dara, had he not come through our academy he would have had pelters by now.
It hasn’t helped having Townsend and Furlong as our full backs who remarkably enough looked reasonably competent in the premier league but both seem to be regressing.
We don’t really have the option of playing 3 centre backs either has we loaned 2 out and by playing wing backs means you can’t really play Grady and Wallace in there natural positions
It all really is a shambles, it can only be a matter of time before Ron and Bruce are sacked surely

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2022, 04:19:47 PM »
We have bemoaned the attitude / application/ effort of our squad for some years now, since Irvines tenure. The squad has nothing in common with the previous squads except god awful coaching which leads to the team being demoralised.
If Gourlay doesn’t a) get a good DoF, appoint a manager with a clear and consistent approach (not radical like Val) then he is delinquent and needs to go himself.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Groovephil

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2022, 05:18:29 PM »
It’s a top 6 side all day long with a decent manager.

Add a good goalkeeper, fullback and forward and it’s pushing top 2.

The squad however has no depth so the minute we get injuries we’re mid table.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2022, 06:00:03 PM »
Can't think of too many top six squads with a number two for a number one, who play with two left backs, one fit centre half, an inexperienced wing back and an athlete competing for a spot at right back.

That's before we address the lack of midfield dynamism, lack of fit central attacking options and adequate cover out wide in the event of injury and loss of form.

In short it's going to take some very imaginative recruitment during the next window to finish top six. Unless we appoint Merlin to the coaching staff of course.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2022, 11:07:45 PM »
Can't think of too many top six squads with a number two for a number one, who play with two left backs, one fit centre half, an inexperienced wing back and an athlete competing for a spot at right back.

That's before we address the lack of midfield dynamism, lack of fit central attacking options and adequate cover out wide in the event of injury and loss of form.

In short it's going to take some very imaginative recruitment during the next window to finish top six. Unless we appoint Merlin to the coaching staff of course.

Totally agree with you. Squad not nearly good enough. Some good individuals but such a weak spine to the team. This will hamper whoever the next person in charge turns out to be.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2022, 09:44:12 AM »
Totally agree with you. Squad not nearly good enough. Some good individuals but such a weak spine to the team. This will hamper whoever the next person in charge turns out to be.

We have a decent first eleven when they're all fit, one which should be capable of a top six finish. However we really struggle with depth. Had this current squad been assembled before a ball was kicked and had a full pre season under it's collective belt things might look different. But we don't live in a perfect injury free world and the depth is getting older by the day.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

robnewbold

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2022, 10:36:39 AM »

Mid table?

Albionfan1983

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2022, 11:32:49 AM »

No it's not and until Albion fans realise this every manager we have at this point will be DOA

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2022, 11:36:27 AM »
No it's not and until Albion fans realise this every manager we have at this point will be DOA

If we have a fully fit squad where do you think we would roughly finish out of interest?

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2022, 12:18:57 PM »
3rd for me
Albion Family !!!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2022, 12:26:20 PM »
the players are better than some of us make out, its the coach thats coaching them that's the main problem
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2022, 12:27:32 PM »
If we sit tight for 24 hours could be a bloke from Nottm on the market. (not Cloughie)
Albion Family !!!

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2022, 12:30:44 PM »

You are right. I repeat, spine of the team. Its awful!

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2022, 12:39:15 PM »
Palmer

Kelly   Ajayi   O'Shea   Pieters

Yokuslu

Rogic   Swift

Wallace   Dike   Diangana

With everyone fit and available, I would have that as a top six side, personally

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2022, 12:47:10 PM »
Palmer

Yokuslu

Rogic   Swift

With everyone fit and available, I would have that as a top six side, personally

Certainly agree with the change of keeper although I hear concerns about Palmer too. Not sure about the centre halves and we will certainly benefit from the return of  a centre forward for sure.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2022, 12:51:23 PM »
Palmer

Yokuslu

Rogic   Swift

Yeah with untested GK thats still top 6 all day long. Get a decent keeper and as good as anything in this division.

Groovephil

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2022, 12:57:29 PM »
Staggers me people can’t see it. The team is to 6 with a good manager all day.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2022, 12:59:56 PM »
Staggers me people can’t see it. The team is to 6 with a good manager all day.

I'm sure some WBA fans believe the manager has no impact or influence on the players performance levels.

They are not performing anywhere near what they can.

Pick rubbish manager after rubbish manager and thats what happens.