Author Topic: Lords my Shepherd  (Read 1013 times)

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

Lords my Shepherd
« on: February 15, 2024, 10:12:10 AM »
I was just chatting with a bloke at work who is a church goer, and he asked me how it came about that we took TLMS as our anthem?

I couldn't answer and the only thing I could find online was one suggestion from 8 years ago that stated it was a cup game in the 70's against Everton when a load of drunks sang it because the match was being played on a Sunday, and then it reappeared regularly again from the 90's?

Is this right?
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

Re: Lords my Shepherd
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2024, 10:45:44 AM »
Right era ! Always thought it was the time of the 3 day week . Some found the text in the BRE and just started singing it ! Same idea I suppose !
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2024, 12:02:15 PM »
Pity we only sing one verse.  I'm sure some Baggie related stuff can be inserted:-

The Hawthorns is our sacred shrine
  Where we will worship them,
Style and skill  forevermore
  Baggies shall rise again.

::)
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2024, 12:15:04 PM »
I was always told it was Albion fans taking the mick about the game being on a Sunday (a bit like the anti Sky Sport chants that Leeds have been singing recently).

I don't remember it being sung much in the 90s when I first started going but that could have been more to do with the type of football that was being played at the time.  ;D

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2024, 12:37:42 PM »
Definitely been around since the 70s is all I can add.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2024, 12:59:05 PM »
Pity we only sing one verse.  I'm sure some Baggie related stuff can be inserted:-

The Hawthorns is our sacred shrine
  Where we will worship them,
Style and skill  forevermore
  Baggies shall rise again.

::)

You've got to be joking, when we play Wolves loads of ours can't even remember the words to SOTV never mind that lot. And don't get me started on the Liquidator  ;) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

jimmyj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2024, 01:38:06 PM »
I was just chatting with a bloke at work who is a church goer, and he asked me how it came about that we took TLMS as our anthem?

I couldn't answer and the only thing I could find online was one suggestion from 8 years ago that stated it was a cup game in the 70's against Everton when a load of drunks sang it because the match was being played on a Sunday, and then it reappeared regularly again from the 90's?

Is this right?

Exactly my understanding.

robnewbold

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2024, 01:44:07 PM »
The next time we sing it we will no doubt be challenged by the rozzers for potential hate speech.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2024, 02:00:58 PM »

Is this right?

I was at that game ( at Goodison ) and it was indeed sung, not by a load of drunks but Everton and Albion supporters my dad and myself included. There was no segregation of course in those days, so it would be difficult for us to claim exclusivity but I think after that some of the lads decided it would be unique. Sunday matches were taboo in those days .
It was enforced by an energy crisis affecting the use of floodlights, and Everton and Liverpool were both drawn at home. A toss of a coin determined that Liverpool played on the Saturday and Everton on the Sunday. I think we took more supporters than normal
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2024, 04:42:17 PM »
My first ever away game. Aged 7, with my Everton supporting dad.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2024, 09:32:18 PM »
The next time we sing it we will no doubt be challenged by the rozzers for potential hate speech.
Many a true word said in jest!

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2024, 09:40:44 PM »
I loved this psalm when I was a kid at primary school in the 60s, if was just a random beery choice, it was a good one

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2024, 10:28:47 AM »

Is this right?

Exactly this.

The group I know in the 70s who regularly sang it following that game used to sing "in famous Greets Green"
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom