Author Topic: Chris Brunt  (Read 766501 times)

Standaman

• WBA Coach

Re: Chris Brunt
« Reply #3800 on: June 11, 2020, 12:27:55 PM »
Chris Brunt wand of a left foot 35 years old. Best position discuss. Context O'Neil is going to be using a deep sitting block heavily dependent on set pieces for creating goal scoring opportunities. I'd go with Left Back and as Stephen Ward's contract expires at the end of the season that is about the only logical position that Brunt could occupy on a regular basis.

If I were a Stoke fan would I be overjoyed at the prospect? No, but they lapped up Pulisball, so what do I know?
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3801 on: June 11, 2020, 12:41:49 PM »
You obviously didn't watch it. Only one of the old boys legs has gone and it's not the one getting a new club.

I did... and you're wrong. Two guys it was painful to watch, not just one

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3802 on: June 11, 2020, 12:49:32 PM »
What is it with Stoke buying our troublesome/past it players? I dread to think how much they have wasted on fees, wages, and signing on fees for the rubbish they have taken from us over the last decade. They seem to have some sort of fixation with us. Chris Brunt has been a key player for us, a great player at times, and a loyal servant. But he hasn't been able to produce any consistent form for us for quite a few years, has hardly played at all this season, is not match fit, and injuries seem to be an issue too. I honestly don't see at this stage of his career what he would bring to any Championship team with any ambition, but good luck to him if he manages to find one willing to pay him whatever he is asking for.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3803 on: June 11, 2020, 12:53:48 PM »
I did... and you're wrong. Two guys it was painful to watch, not just one

I'm not.

The taxi driver cost us 2 goals, Brunt was neat and tidy, excellent on the ball and just needed a better player alongside him.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3804 on: June 11, 2020, 12:59:53 PM »
I'm not.

The taxi driver cost us 2 goals, Brunt was neat and tidy, excellent on the ball and just needed a better player alongside him.

Let's agree to disagree. Brunt was awful (as was Barry) We need to move on and I for one am delighted that we are doing so. And that is in no disrespect to previous performances, none of which have come in the last 2 seasons at least.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3805 on: June 11, 2020, 06:35:03 PM »
Let's agree to disagree. Brunt was awful (as was Barry) We need to move on and I for one am delighted that we are doing so. And that is in no disrespect to previous performances, none of which have come in the last 2 seasons at least.
Exactly
Should have gone 2 years ago....when his legs did 😀
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3806 on: June 11, 2020, 07:02:49 PM »
It could be 2035 and Jacko would still want Brunt in midfield. Great servant for the club but he has been lucky enough to steal a living for the last two seasons with a lucrative contract well after his legs have gone, after being indulged by Moore. Now his mate managing Stoke is going to get him another pay day. Good luck to him.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3807 on: July 18, 2020, 08:35:53 AM »
Needs to be in now , at least against QPR and paired with Livermore.
See how that goes , Sawyers is woeful at the minute .
Brunt knows the ropes , is fresh and can unpick teams.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

kirk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3808 on: July 18, 2020, 09:26:31 AM »
Needs to be in now , at least against QPR and paired with Livermore.
See how that goes , Sawyers is woeful at the minute .
Brunt knows the ropes , is fresh and can unpick teams.

Phillips and hrk have both been awful yet the manager still picked them for a must win game
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3809 on: July 18, 2020, 09:36:49 AM »
Phillips and hrk have both been awful yet the manager still picked them for a must win game
I know mate , called Phillips being picked 3 days before the game.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3810 on: July 18, 2020, 09:58:09 AM »
He's not the answer at central midfield but he can't be any worse than Sawyers has been post lockdown so he's at least worth trying there. He's not a natural there but at least his passing is relatively creative and he won't get caught thinking he can dribble at walking pace just outside our box 10 times a game.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3811 on: July 18, 2020, 10:02:02 AM »
Play him left back with Barry taking over from Sawyers at this stage need leaders on pitch.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3812 on: July 18, 2020, 10:12:34 AM »
Why not if Brentford get a result today. Why the hell not. We have come to that point.

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3813 on: July 18, 2020, 10:29:37 AM »
Severely underused since we've returned from lockdown.

His composure on the ball and calmness got us through that Hull game. The Blackburn game was screaming at him to calm proceedings and push us to get up the pitch to win the game. And I wouldn't have took Livermore off yesterday (Sawyers HAD to go - he lost the plot with his passing) but Brunt would have helped in that midfield.

Doubtful, but I hope he has one more big moment left in him.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3814 on: July 18, 2020, 10:51:41 AM »
I think some severely under-estimate the ground that Sawyers covers to make himself available to receive and pop off passes which has been pretty integral to the way we've played this year. If you think Brunt can do the same at this stage then that's interesting.

Brunt may have been underused in terms of 15 or 20 minutes off the bench but not as a starting CM in what for the most part has been a two man midfield.

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3815 on: July 18, 2020, 11:26:36 AM »
I think some severely under-estimate the ground that Sawyers covers to make himself available to receive and pop off passes which has been pretty integral to the way we've played this year. If you think Brunt can do the same at this stage then that's interesting.

Brunt may have been underused in terms of 15 or 20 minutes off the bench but not as a starting CM in what for the most part has been a two man midfield.

I like Sawyers and he does some important work for the team. However, his form and nosedived even before lockdown. Yesterday, his passing - his main strength - was absolutely woeful. He lost the ball continuously in dangerous areas, setting them up for counter attacking opportunities. It only added to the panic. Just to add as well, when we needed to up the urgency, especially in the last 15, he slowed the play down with too many extra touches.

Everybody could see yesterday that although I wouldn't say Livermore was brilliant, we needed him to stay on the pitch. We had no bite, no leadership and no direction in that midfield battle when he went off and it cost us. Big time.

My point with Brunty wasn't necessarily that he should have started more over Sawyers; my point was that he should have been involved in times when his experience, calmness on the ball and leadership qualities were needed. I would also say that his more direct balls to the frontline would have helped us more yesterday.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #3816 on: July 18, 2020, 01:08:41 PM »
Brunt is not the answer to the centre midfield, never has been. The answer is to get some movement up top. Its no good sticking a bloke in who has hardly played all season with good reason.

I'd certainly play him at left back over Townsend though but he would need someone actually getting into the box to aim a cross at.

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3817 on: July 18, 2020, 03:13:43 PM »
Brunt is past it, but I really hope that we are able to bring him on with 5 mins left on Wed to see things out and give him the armband yo day farewell with another promotion.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3818 on: July 18, 2020, 03:15:30 PM »
Brunt is not the answer to the centre midfield, never has been. The answer is to get some movement up top. Its no good sticking a bloke in who has hardly played all season with good reason.

I'd certainly play him at left back over Townsend though but he would need someone actually getting into the box to aim a cross at.

Yup, words can't explain just how much trouble we make for ourselves by not having a mobile forward player.  Just watching the Stoke highlights, look at the room Berahma has at the start because the forwards have stretched the defence.  Imagine Periera having the much space.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3819 on: July 19, 2020, 01:14:44 AM »
Back to 433 play brunt Livermore and krovi and get the job done
O Albion we love you

westbrom3wolves0

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3820 on: July 19, 2020, 02:09:51 AM »
Back to 433 play brunt Livermore and krovi and get the job done
When was the last time Brunt started for us? Newcastle in the cup? I love the romanticism, but this isn’t the time for it. Put our best 11 out, have faith in the starting eleven which has got us to within one win of the Prem and let’s get the job done.

Bring Brunty on for the final 15 mins or so depending on how things are.

Huge fan of Brunty and all he’s done for the club, but this QPR game isn’t about him. It’s about getting our club back in Prem and saving us from a likely long stint in the Championship.
Oooooohhhh West Bromwich Albion! #SPRAY32

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3821 on: July 19, 2020, 08:23:59 PM »
When was the last time Brunt started for us? Newcastle in the cup? I love the romanticism, but this isn’t the time for it. Put our best 11 out, have faith in the starting eleven which has got us to within one win of the Prem and let’s get the job done.

Bring Brunty on for the final 15 mins or so depending on how things are.

Huge fan of Brunty and all he’s done for the club, but this QPR game isn’t about him. It’s about getting our club back in Prem and saving us from a likely long stint in the Championship.
Nail....head
Exactly my thoughts, it promotion or not....not the wand show
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3822 on: July 19, 2020, 08:31:24 PM »
He should be nowhere near the starting 11, after his indiscipline in last season's play offs and his general lack of effectiveness.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3823 on: July 19, 2020, 08:43:17 PM »
Not in the starting XI for me, sentiment can FRO for this moment in time.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3824 on: July 19, 2020, 08:49:38 PM »
It's got nothing to do with sentiment, we were dreadful on Friday, Sawyers being particularly  poor.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.